So I just got a text from my husband. In it, he asked me if I was ever going to tell him about my other family.

You see, the app Picstory uploaded a picture to my facebook and twitter of "My special boys" with a grown man and his son posing as a happy family.

Problem is, I don't know them, I can't have kids, and it wasn't my husband.

Turns out it's uploaded a few pics without my knowledge to my Facebook and Twitter over the last week. Judging from reviews, it will continue to do so even if you uninstall it. You have to manually go into your FB and Twitter and revoke it's access.

The most troubling part? They brag about being BB Elite developers and proudly wear the Built for BB10 badge that is supposed to show they passed the most stringent testing from BB:

"Not Just Another Photo Editing Tool

Upload, view and compose your very own PicStory, THE place to see and be seen.

PicStory allows you to compose your pictures with our famous layouts, frames and sophisticated filters. A picture may speak a thousand words, but with PicStory, why not say more! Let PicStory be your graphics team and upload stunning and creative artwork to your social networks and show off to your friends.

Do all this knowing we will never ever charge you for anything. Because we love seeing creativity take flight.

** PicStory - Winner of BlackBerry� Hackaton challenge in Jakarta 2011!!! **

Do rate us 5 stars to encourage our team to create a better application for you. If you have any suggestion or problem installing/using PicStory, send us email at [email protected] or visit our website for FAQ, user guides and other information at Risto Mobile Solutions | Home.

PicStory is developed by RISTOMobile, a BlackBerry� Elite Alliance Member"
    I have sent tweets to BB, uninstalled it, left a review making it clear that it's not cool that it uploads pics without the users knowledge, but I want to warn people.

This isn't ethical. And the fact that it has the Built for BB badge means people will trust it.

You've been warned.
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-07-13 10:56 PM
    Here's a screenshot of what it uploads. To make it even sneakier, it doesn't appear in your own newsfeed so unless someone comments on it, you won't know it was even sent out.

Do NOT download Picstory.  Trust me.-picstoryspam.jpg
    05-07-13 11:11 PM
    Smh, I'm willing to bet the developer remove your review. I think Blackberry needs to pay attention to what type of apps get approved vs approving everything to pad numbers.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    robkd, reeneebob and kevinnugent like this.
    05-07-13 11:19 PM
    Well that kind of makes me want to download it just to give it a bad review

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-07-13 11:29 PM
    im more curious at where that picture come from on your phone lol
    05-07-13 11:30 PM
    I don't think it's from her phone. Picstory seems to have a bit of a social network of its own in the app. So you can see other pics that people have made with the app.
    reeneebob and BergerKing like this.
    05-07-13 11:40 PM
    I don't think it's from her phone. Picstory seems to have a bit of a social network of its own in the app. So you can see other pics that people have made with the app.
    Exactly.

I found another picture of a black cat that got uploaded earlier this week. I don't have a pet.

Not impressed.
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-07-13 11:59 PM
    That's nuts! Have you contacted the Dev about it?
    You should tweet @BlackBerryDev and some of the BlackBerry Dev Relations teM too.
    05-08-13 12:26 AM
    That's nuts! Have you contacted the Dev about it?
    You should tweet @BlackBerryDev and some of the BlackBerry Dev Relations teM too.
    I tweeted @BlackBerry but I will tweet the developer one. As far as contacting the app developer, there's numerous complaints about it on app world, including one that has gone missing since I first looked, so I'm sure they know.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:48 AM
    @reeneebob .... that avatar ... it looks ... somehow ... familiar ...
    reeneebob and bobauckland like this.
    05-08-13 12:53 AM
    Thank you for the heads up.

Kah, I would love to open up on you right now but I'll bite my tongue. I'll just say, be respectful.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-08-13 01:21 AM
    To be fair to BlackBerry it must be really hard to go through every app and all it's code, who would think a daft dev would put in the code for summat like this, it beggars belief, he's just completely thrashed his rep, and for what? What a stupid thing to put in, it's not even sefl promotion or summat that will earn him money, it's just being difficult and annoying for the sake of it.
    Thanks for the headsup renee.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-08-13 02:23 AM
    Let this be fair warning to everyone when giving permissions to apps. Read carefully before accepting. I've had some apps asking for access to certain files or features which in my opinion they didn't need. I just deny it.

I wonder what permissions this app used. Which one gives access to one's FB account?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-08-13 06:22 AM
    I would tell @alexkinsella.
    Pandastrong likes this.
    05-08-13 06:30 AM
    Hi reeneebob,

I am the CEO of RISTOmobile, the developer of PicStory.
    Firstly, we do not post unauthorized photos to users' Facebook or Twitter accounts.
    It does not benefit us to do that and spoil our own reputations, as you have pointed out that we are BlackBerry Elite Alliance partner.
    What you are making here are serious allegations that we would like to investigate.
    I can understand that if such things happen to you, it can cause you much distress.
    Can you email your details to [email protected] and I will personally see to it that it is investigated?

After investigation, I will also reply and post the findings back on this forum thread.

Regards
    Michael Boon
    05-08-13 09:38 AM
    I certainly will, but there are other reviews from people who have also had pictures posted to their accounts of people they don't know. That picture is a stock photo. The kid is an actor, I vaguely recognize him from commercial work. I was watching the Sens game at the time that picture was uploaded from my phones pic story app...my phone was on a different floor of the house at the time.

This is the second time your app did this. The first time I wrote it off to the installation as I've had other apps that have posted "I got this App". It was a one time thing. This? Is not okay. Having it add a caption? IS NOT OKAY.

To be honest, I don't know what info you need, and I'm a little leery of providing further personal information to your company.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 09:49 AM
    And you DO post unauthorized pictures to people's accounts. It happened to me twice, and a couple of other reviewers as well.

It's funny...instagram does not do this. and people will grant it Facebook and Twitter access because that's the point of the app.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 09:54 AM
    I can't stand when multiple social networks get information 'pushed' to them. Hence I'm glad that you've brought this to everyone's attention...
    ..Steve.. and reeneebob like this.
    05-08-13 10:11 AM
    Hi reeneebob,

I am in no way suggesting that you are not telling the truth or making this up.
    Like I said, I understand the distress this has caused you, and would like to apologize for what you have been through.
    We just need to investigate what causes this if it is true. So far we have not received any support emails from any users highlighting this incident to us. We have millions of users and photos and it is impossible for us to investigate if we do not have your PicStory nickname, facebook ID and the date that it happen.
    05-08-13 10:14 AM
    Thanks for responding to her and trying to resolve the issue.

PS: I'd also suggest that you update your CrackBerry profile to reflect more details

Hi reeneebob,

I am the CEO of RISTOmobile, the developer of PicStory.
    Firstly, we do not post unauthorized photos to users' Facebook or Twitter accounts.
    It does not benefit us to do that and spoil our own reputations, as you have pointed out that we are BlackBerry Elite Alliance partner.
    What you are making here are serious allegations that we would like to investigate.
    I can understand that if such things happen to you, it can cause you much distress.
    Can you email your details to [email protected] and I will personally see to it that it is investigated?

After investigation, I will also reply and post the findings back on this forum thread.

Regards
    Michael Boon
    ..Steve.. and kbz1960 like this.
    05-08-13 10:15 AM
    I can't stand when multiple social networks get information 'pushed' to them. Hence I'm glad that you've brought this to everyone's attention...
    Hi naviwilliams,

We respect users' privacy too. Users of PicStory have a selection button to post pictures to their Facebook or Twitter. The users make their own choice if they want to post or not. We do not make any unauthorized postings or 'pushed' information.
    For reeneebob case, this is the first reported to our attention and we are still waiting for her details for us to investigate the situation.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    05-08-13 10:20 AM
    Thanks for responding to her and trying to resolve the issue.

PS: I'd also suggest that you update your CrackBerry profile to reflect more details
    Profile updated. Thanks.
    05-08-13 10:23 AM
    I've sent an email to the support line, I will follow up with the further information as requested.
    bobauckland and mb55 like this.
    05-08-13 10:28 AM
    It is nice to see when a developer\app owner\creator partakes in the forums to help resolve issues. NICELY DONE!

We're as humans are sometimes quick to complain about this or that, and don't take the same time to say thanks, so with that, THANKS to @mb55 for trying to get to the bottom of said issue...
    05-08-13 10:45 AM
    Interesting to see how this develops
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-08-13 10:52 AM
47 12