I am wondering what is the big idea of depriving the BlackBerry users from a feature of Bbm which may not be of frequent use, but is definitely useful!

The people who are supporting BlackBerry by using their device should get better treatment from the company in my opinion.

They could have put this subscription thing on non-bb users (apple, droid, windows) and kept the BlackBerry users in the loop!

Really a poor decision and I am totally unhappy about this!

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    FF22, Q10Bold, Supa_Fly1 and 1 others like this.
    04-24-15 04:26 PM
    This was known when it was first introduced. They said it would be free for 3 or so months and would become a subscription based feature....
    BlackBerry has to make money, not everything can be free of charge

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 04:29 PM
    I agree, but their strategy is wrong! BlackBerry users deserve an edge in my opinion!

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    FF22 likes this.
    04-24-15 04:34 PM
    Many of us BBM users have no use for message retraction. My preference would be to have the choice removed for all but those who want the function. Those wanting retraction can pay while the rest of us get a less cluttered experience.

C000C6078 Bits for links to world news and views, technology and science postings.
    04-24-15 05:25 PM
    How much is it?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:53 PM
    Pretty simple... BB is not longer interested in consumers... targeting Enterprise is now their main focus and when the features were first bought out... Free and good will does not keep the company running.... revenue does... so yah... they could give it all away... make no return on investment and then make the nay sayers right... a dead company called Blackberry....
    04-24-15 11:06 PM
    How much is it?

Posted via CB10
    $. 99 / month

Posted via CB10
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    04-25-15 12:19 AM
    What if I don't upgrade to the new version? Do I still need to pay or can I continue the way I am right now.
    04-25-15 12:45 AM
    Hated that feature and how many times it would get accidentally activated. So glad it's gone in free version. I'll never pay for it.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-25-15 01:19 AM
    Hated that feature and how many times it would get accidentally activated. So glad it's gone in free version. I'll never pay for it.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 01:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    You have to toggle it off from the BBM settings, because even after the update the Timed message icon still present even if you didn't subscribed to it.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 03:40 AM
    What if I don't upgrade to the new version? Do I still need to pay or can I continue the way I am right now.
    Apparently you can still use this feature for free if you don't update your BBM, for now.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 03:43 AM
    I dint update..but the subscription option for timed messages came to my subscriptions page. Cross checked if the BBM was updated, but option to update was still there. So it seems BlackBerry is not going to spare anybody

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 04:01 AM
    You have to toggle it off from the BBM settings, because even after the update the Timed message icon still present even if you didn't subscribed to it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. If u hadnt said it here, I would have never checked it
    It was many times a pain in the ***, icon standing very next to chat window

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 04:02 AM
    The entire thing depends on perspective.
    I am not saying this is an essential feature, but it's certainly a good to have feature!

I really don't see the logic of making a feature subscription based, specifically for those who are using BlackBerry devices.

It seems BlackBerry is losing its edge over the others. In what respect can BlackBerry say that Bbm service is better than whatsapp, wechat, snapchat?

They are making all the wrong choices and I am not liking their strategy of extracting money for a simple from BlackBerry users!

Beats logical thinking as far as I am concerned.

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    menshawy, Q10Bold and FF22 like this.
    04-25-15 05:14 AM
    After you've bought it (or had it provided as part of a contract), in what way does your continuing to use the handset provide any benefit for BlackBerry?

Why should they be grateful that you use it?

I can't see any good reason that they should continue to provide free services for life to any user.

There are lots of "free" services on other platforms that demand only access to you attention, location, browsing history, personal details etc. by way of exchange.

Not for me, but YMMV.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    04-25-15 05:30 AM
    Ok, so BlackBerry needs to generate revenue, and this is the best that they can come with, collecting dollars from a loyal follower base and annoying them at the same time. You wanna make money in software, do it from enterprise and not loyal consumers that have bothered to keep buying ure devices.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold, nah.uhh, menshawy and 1 others like this.
    04-25-15 05:46 AM
    leave it for free for those who have not abandoned you for another platform during the past 5 years. I think we deserve it for sailing this ship to golden waters of sales revenue once again.
    nah.uhh, Q10Bold and surgeon1919 like this.
    04-25-15 06:20 AM
    Corporate customers are subsiding "loyal" non-corporate customers (who apparently don't want to pay for additional services) not the other way round.
    04-25-15 08:37 AM
    So you mean, that people who are using BlackBerry devices haven't done any favours to BlackBerry? Right?

It sounds really odd, as BlackBerry lost its user base to a good extent, due to their sloppy strategies, and people who are still using them are really helping the company to survive and be a part of the smart phone competition that exists today.

Would be a real shame, to land up in a dead space, by turning their back to the existing BlackBerry user mass.

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    04-25-15 01:28 PM
    "So you mean, that people who are using BlackBerry devices haven't done any favours to BlackBerry? Right? "

Yes - you're using it because you like the hardware, software or both. Nobodies using it for charitable reasons, but because it serves a purpose.

"...people who are still using them are really helping the company to survive and be a part of the smart phone competition that exists today."

No they aren't. People who buy new hardware are helping them. People who use hardware they've already bough and don't want any of the value added services aren't helping them at all are nothing but a drain.

Non-corporate individuals benefit from the economies of scale made possible by corporate purchases. They (me included) are taking advantage of this to get a very high quality handset - frequently with a near unique high quality hardware keyboard that's available on no other device - and a high quality, relatively secure and performant OS.

None of these last three would be available to individual buyers if it wasn't for the investment made possible by the investment from corporate buyers.
    04-25-15 03:25 PM
    Ok, so with the way things stack up, if Bbm lose it's already less user base, that will help BlackBerry??

I merely have 3 friends of mine @bbm while 50+ in whatsapp! This is even after Bbm is available in droid and ios! It's really not hard to see what's in store for the future if the company doesn't make the right moves!

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    04-26-15 06:27 AM
    Blackberry can't see different with loyal user and enterprise user. So BlackBerry thinks we're same with enterprise user.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:06 AM
    Blackberry can't see different with loyal user and enterprise user. So BlackBerry thinks we're same with enterprise user.

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem and if they continue to be this adamant, soon they will lose more ground!

Posted via CB10 From Q5
    04-26-15 09:30 AM
    I'm not trying to be rude but your loyalty (and mine of course) mean precisely nothing to BlackBerry as far as running a profitable business is concerned - if they make any profits from the likes of us buying hardware, it'll be small.

They've made it quite clear what their strategy is to become profitable again, and it's not focused on individual users asking them to make their software better, and to do it for nothing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackber...fit-1427455450

BlackBerry don't care about your friends on WhatsApp - they are just as unprofitable as the rest of us.

Their niche is secure, high quality hardware and software supported by people willing to pay for it.

Android and iOS are aiming for something different. The question is, why aren't you using one if those two instead? Genuinely want to know.
    redcubicle and habs_fan like this.
    04-26-15 09:57 AM
45 12