I recently released a native BlackBerry 10 World Cup app called Goal 2014:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/57748888

I am currently reworking it to work for other events and a few BlackBerry World reviews suggested that people wanted to see latest wins, losses for teams and the end results for specific fixtures.

Currently, everything within Goal 2014 is done locally (apart from the news) so an Internet connection is not required to use the majority of the app but to have access latest wins, losses as well as end results would mean that I'd have to store the file on my server which I could then update and it would take effect straight away in the app compared to updating the app itself and then waiting 48 hours for BlackBerry World to approve the application.

Now the dilemma is: putting the file on my server would require an Internet connection but could get the file instantly or updating the app manually wouldn't require an Internet connection but you'd have to wait 48 hours + for it to be approved on BlackBerry World.

So, which would you prefer to be used?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 08:07 AM
    Are you asking if people would rather download the app - as a APK file and load it directly from your server to their BlackBerry, or as a BAR file they would have to sideload, verses downloading a two day old version from BlackBerry World?

I think most will prefer the app to be loaded via BlackBerry World. But data updates need to be done almost realtime if you want to "compete" with other sports apps.

Do it both ways and see how that works....
    06-26-14 08:44 AM
    Thanks for replying.

The app is a native BlackBerry 10 app, so it has nothing to do with loading an APK file

What I was asking was: would you rather use your internet connection to get fixtures and results in real-time within the app or to wait 2 days and have it done locally on the device without an internet connection?
    06-26-14 08:50 AM
    Is it not possible to pull results from tsn.ca or something automatically? That way you don't need to update anything yourself

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:00 AM
    Not having the latest results defeats the purpose, so I would say get that internet connection in there.
    06-26-14 09:02 AM
    Hummmmm....would people not need Internet to downloaded newest update anyway??????

Just put in app a button ( update data) and a setting for auto update data.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 12:21 PM
    In this case, real time is preferred.
    06-26-14 08:03 PM
    Remote all the way.
    06-26-14 08:21 PM
    Thanks for your answers everyone I'll proceed with using remote (stored on my server) so that I can update the file which will then be updated within the app too.

For those wondering, I would update the file myself rather than pulling in feeds from a sports website because it is more reliable by me updating it myself and all I want is to provide the best for my users

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 04:02 PM