I'm intentioned to porting the two apps from whispersystems, TextSecure first and RedPhone next on BB10.
    I'm wondering if the blackberry community would be interested in those two apps.

Please leave some thoughts...
    11-15-14 03:34 PM
    I for one would be interested.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 03:47 AM
    I'm sure we all appreciate additional options to be available for BB10. However, I'm sure that a native BBB application would be much better received instead of a port.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 05:49 AM
    I would be very interested in the two mentioned apps
    12-03-14 12:54 AM
    which one will be the "most important" between TextSecure and Redphone?

I will developer both with Cascade as a native BB10 language. No Android port
    12-03-14 03:31 PM
    Text secure for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 01:59 AM
    What are they both?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 02:13 AM
    I'd also give higher priority to Textsecure.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    12-04-14 03:03 AM
    What are they both?

Posted via CB10
    have a look on
    w h i s p e r s y s t e m s . org
    12-04-14 03:02 PM
    Is this porting project still alive? or do the 2 (or 3 apps, if you count flock in) work with the solution from cobalt shown in another thread here on crackberry? I know TextSecure needs Google Push API & I'm not quite sure if it's a part of the playstore or the GAPPS bundle.
    01-15-15 07:15 PM
    I think this may be dead before it has begun.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:23 PM
    Waiting new apps from you, i want test app now... Wish success!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:34 PM
    I'm intentioned to porting the two apps from whispersystems, TextSecure first and RedPhone next on BB10.
    I'm wondering if the blackberry community would be interested in those two apps.

Please make a BlackBerry native app for those two. I'd gladly buy your app if you could pull it off.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:49 PM

Hey, I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. I am by no means a great developer, and I have a day job, but it seems like we could work together. I see that they have both a Java and Javascript library just for the protocol. This means we could either port the protocol to C++ or use the JavaScript one and just build UI on top of it. I would prefer to go the JavaScript route, performance will suffer, but it would aid in rappid prototyping.

Posted via CB10
    azarok likes this.
    03-02-15 09:31 PM
    Hey, I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. I am by no means a great developer, and I have a day job, but it seems like we could work together. I see that they have both a Java and Javascript library just for the protocol. This means we could either port the protocol to C++ or use the JavaScript one and just build UI on top of it. I would prefer to go the JavaScript route, performance will suffer, but it would aid in rappid prototyping.

Posted via CB10
    If I'm right, the Javascript Part on Github is only their first repository to build a chrome based browser extension for TextSecure. I for myself am not a real dev, but i'll try to work myself into their code at the weekend and try to understand that stuff, maybe a portation to BB10 is possible, i'm not sure at this time, which dependencies they have, that may be problematic.

Maybe just starting this as a group-project is a good idea & maybe other ppl will just join, if there's an living project around, even if it's just in an early state of development.

EDIT: i think it's a smarter idea first to to compare the level of difficulty of porting their Signal app for IOS to BB10 instead of TextSecure, because it does both: encrypted messenging and encrypted calls AND it's written in C.
    Last edited by meluvian; 03-05-15 at 04:19 AM.
    azarok likes this.
    03-04-15 06:45 PM
    you have both a good idea, I believe study the porting from Signal in C it could be the best solution for performance and stability, and then we could build UI on top of it.
    If we could develop this porting as group-project as you mentioned, few people could join and help to develop this project for the Blackberry community

By they way the project is not dead, it is a BIG porting and it will take time
    Last edited by azarok; 03-07-15 at 04:24 PM.
    anon(9281577) likes this.
    03-07-15 05:01 AM
    A group project can be interesting. Are you guys allocating code on Github ?
    Whispersystems recommends using their mailing list to obtain more information

https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/whispersystems

http://open-whisper-systems.readme.io/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kraidx; 06-15-15 at 09:43 AM.
    06-14-15 04:23 PM
    I got both on my phone by putting google play on but it makes me shiver with all the permissions I have to agree to. I wonder if whisper systems apps are secure this method?

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 07:01 PM
    Due the latest os version 10.3.2 and the imminent Blackberry Venice with Android os, I decided to close this porting.
    At the current time both applications are on a very alpha stage, the porting for those apps weren't so straight forward.
    On my passport with the 10.3.2 redphone works great without any problems. If you need redphone just download through snap and everything should be fine.

Thanks to all of you for the interesting, and pray for the BB10 OS...
    09-12-15 02:13 PM
    TO ALL DEVS

Now that TextSecure and Redphone have been merged into Signal wrote to Open Whisper Systems to inquire about a BB10 version.

The reply was quite interesting.

"Unfortunately, we only provide support for Android and iOS clients. We currently do not have the resources to expand, but would love to do so! We are actively looking to recruit and if someone is interested in joining our team and lead the effort for a BlackBerry OS, then we will talk with them.

Additionally, you can read more in this discussion here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10500188
    "

BB10 users could also do some crowdfunding to help with the development costs.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 04:45 PM
    I saw that open whisper replaced both applications with signal, and it also works quite well on my passport se, a part the phone calls that the interlocutor can't hear my voice.
    At the moment I'm working on another big project (WebApp for a car park company) but before start to think how to use the javascript or any other language from signal app, will be worth to develop for BB10?
    Not only in terms of money, but also in terms of life cycle of the system and app (don't get me wrong, I love very much my passposrt se with bb10).
    12-03-15 03:16 PM
    I also want the signal app..it passed the all tests on eff Secure messaging

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 12:21 AM

Why is it that such a thread is started and not everyone knows what exactly does such an app actually does or brings to BB10 user? You could have a MUCH bigger audience by informing.

вιaсĸвεггч� Z30 via CB10 (Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639) ‎Bell Mobility on BES12
    12-06-15 07:57 PM
    I would say it's worthwhile. There's a community willing to support your efforts. Having said that I do understand that your focused on another project.
    So if you know other developers could you please put the word out there, maybe someone will pick this project.

I saw that open whisper replaced both applications with signal, and it also works quite well on my passport se, a part the phone calls that the interlocutor can't hear my voice.
    At the moment I'm working on another big project (WebApp for a car park company) but before start to think how to use the javascript or any other language from signal app, will be worth to develop for BB10?
    Not only in terms of money, but also in terms of life cycle of the system and app (don't get me wrong, I love very much my passposrt se with bb10).

Posted via CB10
    12-07-15 03:47 AM
    I will finish my current project around the end of January. I quickly checked the android version that I installed on my passport se, and IF the microphone bug/problem will be fix and replace the google play service with the blackberry push service, we could have a decent application for our bb10 without write anything from scratch... Of course it wouldn't be a native app, but at list it will work...
    12-30-15 12:39 PM
35 12