For some reason I find that I have an extra Amazon app on my PP. I have the "Amazon Appstore" which I think is what comes with BB10.

But I also have an "Amazon" app. What really bothers me about the app is that if gives full permissions to Amazon. Also, I cannot delete it. When I long press, I do not get a trash can button.

Maybe at some point I installed this thinking I would shop on Amazon on my phone, but I don't remember. Regardless, I don't want to give Jeff Bezos full permissions over my phone.

Can anyone think of how I might delete this without messing up the regular Amazon Appstore which I do use from time to time?

Thanks!
    04-03-18 05:01 PM
    I comes preloaded as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-18 05:11 PM
    I comes preloaded as well.

Posted via CB10
    Really? The general Amazon app for all things Amazon (not just apps)? I don't remember this at all.

By the way, I first noticed this general Amazon app after updating the Amazon app -- but now I'm not sure if I updated the Amazon appstore app or the Amazon app.

In Ghost Commander I can see an apk file "update-release-10.0599 1606.apk. I'm going to try deleting this apk file and see what happens. It has an icon in Ghost Commander that matches the general Amazon appstore icon on my BB10 desktop.
    04-03-18 05:31 PM
    Really? The general Amazon app for all things Amazon (not just apps)? I don't remember this at all.

By the way, I first noticed this general Amazon app after updating the Amazon app -- but now I'm not sure if I updated the Amazon appstore app or the Amazon app.

In Ghost Commander I can see an apk file "update-release-10.0599 1606.apk. I'm going to try deleting this apk file and see what happens. It has an icon in Ghost Commander that matches the general Amazon appstore icon on my BB10 desktop.
    I deleted the apk file but the general Amazon app is still there. Not happy with that. I don't want to share all of my information with Amazon. That is partly why I refuse to use the Google.
    04-03-18 05:33 PM
    I deleted the apk file but the general Amazon app is still there. Not happy with that. I don't want to share all of my information with Amazon. That is partly why I refuse to use the Google.
    Don't use the app then, they are Amazon and will use your data in accordance with their terms of service in line with their business model. BlackBerry trust both Amazon and Google.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-18 06:16 PM
    Both Amazon apps have been pre-installed on BB10 for a while. If you want to remove them try enabling parental controls, disabling Amazon from the list of controls, wait a few minutes for them to uninstall and then disable parental controls.

The apps will reinstall immediately after but as long as you decline their permissions during install they won't be active.
    04-03-18 06:39 PM
    Both Amazon apps have been pre-installed on BB10 for a while. If you want to remove them try enabling parental controls, disabling Amazon from the list of controls, wait a few minutes for them to uninstall and then disable parental controls.

The apps will reinstall immediately after but as long as you decline their permissions during install they won't be active.
    Or, don't log in with an account. It can't run and do things if you never sign in in the first place.
    04-03-18 06:49 PM
    Don't use the app then, they are Amazon and will use your data in accordance with their terms of service in line with their business model. BlackBerry trust both Amazon and Google.

Posted via CB10
    Even if I don't use the app, it has permission to soak up all my personal data.
    04-04-18 12:46 AM

I don't understand how parental controls might delete certain apps. I will check it out.
    04-04-18 01:32 AM
    Perhaps you shouldn't be using a computer if you're so concerned.

Posted via CB10
    Ph1llip likes this.
    04-04-18 03:39 AM
    I don't understand how parental controls might delete certain apps. I will check it out.
    Hello mate. It doesn't delete them but this is a nice little work around in the BB10 OS. If you do the parental control little trick it forces the app to ask for permissions that it only asks for on its first run. You decline and then the app is disabled in that it cannot access any of the info you are worried about.

I've done this too and it works.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-18 03:46 AM
    Perhaps you shouldn't be using a computer if you're so concerned.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know how old you are, but not too long ago our electronic devices did not track our words and location and save them for future use on a server.
    04-04-18 08:11 AM
    If you never open it, it's completely inert.

If you have opened it, you can "delete" it with Sachesi. It will come back with a reboot, but will return to inert status.
    04-04-18 08:22 AM
    If you never open it, it's completely inert.

If you have opened it, you can "delete" it with Sachesi. It will come back with a reboot, but will return to inert status.
    Exactly. As I said earlier. Don't sign-in and it has nothing to do.

Many of the apps from the Amazon App store have Google Play-like back end connections. To run many of the apps from Amazon - especially the paid ones, you have to be signed into your Amazon account. They many not all be that way, but I have a few that are.
    04-04-18 08:32 AM
    Parental controls on BB10 allow you to disable certain apps which essentially uninstalls them.

https://crackberry.com/how-enable-pa...-blackberry-10
    04-04-18 09:34 AM
    Parental Controls....
    .Swipe down from any of the home screens or Hub (but not inside an app screen) Then select:[Settings][Security and Privacy] scroll down to [Parental Controls] and select.

Awesome! Totally forgot about that feature. BB10 continues to amaze even today.
    Also probably where a lot of those "my camera won't work" complaints used to come from - cause mom or pops disabled it!.
    Just don't forget the password when you set it up, keep it in a safe place - so you can change things later when you want to re-enable them.
    04-04-18 02:34 PM
    I don't know how old you are, but not too long ago our electronic devices did not track our words and location and save them for future use on a server.
    Granted the biggest change to the profiling of users twenty years ago is the ability to use GPS on a mobile device and more comprehensive GeoIP services, that coupled with cheaper ways of storing large amounts of data and the ability to work with this data in good time do expose your usage of a computer to a greater number of people. However my point stands, no offence intended, if you use a computer that is connected to a network then your profile may be more public than you might wish it to be.

If you don't want an app or website to track you then don't use them.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-18 06:19 PM
    Granted the biggest change to the profiling of users twenty years ago is the ability to use GPS on a mobile device and more comprehensive GeoIP services, that coupled with cheaper ways of storing large amounts of data and the ability to work with this data in good time do expose your usage of a computer to a greater number of people. However my point stands, no offence intended, if you use a computer that is connected to a network then your profile may be more public than you might wish it to be.

If you don't want an app or website to track you then don't use them.

Posted via CB10
    Markmall clearly has a valid point...
    Like saying....if you don't want someone to track or follow you, then don't go outside or drive your car. It's preposterous on the face value of the statement. The fact that it is done today with little or no way for individuals to prevent it, won't mean there won't be a huge backlash in the future. The trackers better be d** certain there isn't the slightest abuse of that data, else the patent suits of today will look like chump change tomorrow, and the politicians won't be left unscathed, if they don't protect an individual's reasonable right to privacy.
    It's also like saying that my electric company should be allowed to record my every movement in the house as soon as I switch on some device, well because the electricity is a slight bit cheaper . How is that even verifiable? - it ain't, cause no one will release the real costs and benefits in an auditable way, being derived at any kind of analyzeable level. There is no 'need' for tracking in order to use the internet on a computer ...nor should it be legal if you object....those huge monthy internet bills are supposed to cover costs.
    classiq10 likes this.
    04-04-18 10:58 PM
    Markmall clearly has a valid point...
    Like saying....if you don't want someone to track or follow you, then don't go outside or drive your car. It's preposterous on the face value of the statement. The fact that it is done today with little or no way for individuals to prevent it, won't mean there won't be a huge backlash in the future. The trackers better be d** certain there isn't the slightest abuse of that data, else the patent suits of today will look like chump change tomorrow, and the politicians won't be left unscathed, if they don't protect an individual's reasonable right to privacy.
    It's also like saying that my electric company should be allowed to record my every movement in the house as soon as I switch on some device, well because the electricity is a slight bit cheaper . How is that even verifiable? - it ain't, cause no one will release the real costs and benefits in an auditable way, being derived at any kind of analyzeable level. There is no 'need' for tracking in order to use the internet on a computer ...nor should it be legal if you object....those huge monthy internet bills are supposed to cover costs.
    The addition of this Amazon app seems really sneaky to me because I don't think BB10 users suspected this. I could be very wrong but I speculate that this might have been a ploy by Blackberry and Amazon (or just Amazon acting alone) to set up another data collection tool for users of its App Store. I would love to know if Amazon paid Blackberry for the luxury of stuffing this down our throats. Sure seems a lot like Google's business model. What better way to squeeze the last pennies out of BB10 holdouts?

I think Congress is going to have to address all this. There should be standards for app developers, smartphone manufacturers, social networking companies, etc. The government sets standards for other industries. Consider banking or securities. The gov acts in all sorts of ways to prevent the abuse of consumers and to prevent colluding among a few players with enough power to effect policies.
    classiq10 likes this.
    04-05-18 05:39 PM
    We've had these two Amazon apps from the beginning.
    04-05-18 06:24 PM
    We've had these two Amazon apps from the beginning.
    I don't think the general Amazon store. Just the appstore. And I don't remeber ever granting all these permissions to Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-18 10:10 PM
    I don't think the general Amazon store. Just the appstore. And I don't remeber ever granting all these permissions to Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. We've had that forever. If you don't run them, they are completely harmless.
    04-05-18 10:13 PM
    Technically, not from the very beginning. The Amazon App Store appeared for the first time with 10.3.1 - but that was 3 years ago. I think the Amazon Store came in 10.3.2.

But it was with a big announcements from BlackBerry, CrackBerry, and several tech sites at the time. They did not "sneak" it in. It was proudly boasted about.
    classiq10 likes this.
    04-05-18 11:09 PM
    Technically, not from the very beginning. The Amazon App Store appeared for the first time with 10.3.1 - but that was 3 years ago. I think the Amazon Store came in 10.3.2.

But it was with a big announcements from BlackBerry, CrackBerry, and several tech sites at the time. They did not "sneak" it in. It was proudly boasted about.
    ^^^^^^This.
    04-05-18 11:21 PM

Ya. It was never a secret.
    04-05-18 11:54 PM
33 12