Dear BlackBerry,

I am your biggest fan, and biggest advocate. You're on the verge of an historic comeback. You've got THE best cell phones around (I have the Z10... but, the Q10, Z30, upcoming Q20, just rock too!). BUT, you're going to blow it big time.

G-d forbid, that EVERY person that I sway (and I show off my phone at every opportunity I can... I post all the positive press... the recent Tech News article from USA Today, DaddyDOES, all the Department of Defense articles certifying the BlackBerry, etc., etc. on Facebook, Twitter, my blogs, forums, and even e-mails to my network) to purchase a BlackBerry actually goes and buys one.

You know what's going to happen...

They're going to be blown away and wonder where has this BB10 phone been all my life?

But then, they're going to stumble upon one of the numerous issues with the Contacts App. OMG! Ballgame over! Comeback over! Game over! Game. Set. Match. Stick a fork in them... if they can't get Contacts correct, they can't get anything right!

The Contacts App (Abomination) is a PURE DISGRACE. I don't know how else to state it. BlackBerry USED to have it right. What the frick happened? How could such a "simple" application be SO SCREWED UP???

We (yes, I speak possessively of BlackBerry) should be ashamed and be mad as h*ll.... and say we're not going to take it anymore.

Please BlackBerry, FIX THIS NOW! And if you can't fix it, I bet there are dozens of developers on CrackBerry that could create a Contact app works. But, I don't want to load a third party application on my phone... I want it in the CORE OS ... burnt and baked in.

If BlackBerry can't do it, then how about a little contest?... BlackBerry puts up $50,000 to give to the BEST Contacts App anyone can submit by EOD April 15, 2014. The program will work as it is supposed to. It will back up AND restore your contacts. It will keep Contact Groups. It will NOT duplicate contacts. It will NOT lose contacts. It will stop this stupid Contact linking. There will be ONE record for EACH contact.... and it won't get futzed up.

On April 16th BlackBerry will push out this new Contacts App to EVERY BB10 device regardless of which OS they're running (even the leaked 10.3).

I'm embarrassed to have to write this post.

I hope no iPhone or Android user ever reads this post lest they will never consider a BlackBerry until this is fixed. Everything else is perfect. Really!

Note to Moderators: Is there a way to block this message from appearing on any non-BlackBerry device? This is for BlackBerry eyes/users only. (This last part is of course a joke... unless you can really do it! )

BlackBerry, please make this happen. NOW! Yesterday was preferable. But, I will take today. Tomorrow at the latest. Not "SOON".
    j1m0h, vVick3d, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    03-30-14 09:44 PM
    Contacts app is a mess. Its like they are afraid to update it.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 09:47 PM
    Link it to one contacts account. Then make sure this account is organised in the first place. When saving new contacts, only pick this one account to save at.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 09:55 PM
    Link it to one contacts account. Then make sure this account is organised in the first place. When saving new contacts, only pick this one account to save at.

Posted via CB10
    Crappy thing is I want pictures for my contacts and for that I need my facebook contacts but when you back up you cant backup social media contacts

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 09:59 PM
    Crappy thing is I want pictures for my contacts and for that I need my facebook contacts but when you back up you cant backup social media contacts

Posted via CB10
    You'd have to link them one by one unless they are already linked. Else, you can change the name of your contacts matching that of facebook, then it will automatically link itself whenever you restore your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 05:23 AM
    You'd have to link them one by one unless they are already linked. Else, you can change the name of your contacts matching that of facebook, then it will automatically link itself whenever you restore your contacts.

Posted via CB10
    When you link the contacts to a Facebook contact. Fire chest and intouch don't back up the contact at all.

Trust me I tried it all since launch. I even boight contact x which was useless.

Even when you restore your contacts when they are perfectly set up in one of those apps.
    When you restore them sometimes the contacts dont show up and then randomly they will.
    When you restore some people's last name is repeated like joe brown brown.

There are many more issues. Its not just me and the OP all the crackberry admins say it in theit podcasts. So many threads in crackberry and betazone about it.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 08:33 AM
    Yep those don't backup. What im saying is, change the contact name to match the fb name so when you restore, it will automatically link.

Hassle but that's the only way for now.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 08:42 AM
    We shouldn't have to go through all these gyrations... Contacts app should just work.
    03-31-14 08:48 AM
    What problems are you guys having? I have no problems at all with my Contacts app.

I have added an exchange account, outlook.com account, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Talk, and BBM.

When I load my phone after a wipe I disabled SIM contacts. Then I go manually link my BBM contacts, because my contacts use weird names. No way the Contacts app will figure out that Matt Jones should be linked with Captain Frosty Pants... I also select which photo to use if I don't like the currently selected photo.

When I create a new contact it asks which accounts to update/add the entry to.

So what's the issue? I haven't had any problems with the Contacts app since ~10.2.1.1925.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 08:54 AM
    What problems are you guys having? I have no problems at all with my Contacts app....
    Posted via CB10
    ?Names appearing and disappearing.
    ?Last name missing from the "last name " field
    ?Double last name in the first name field
    ?Contacts completely disappearing
    ?Contact info disappearing
    ?Contacts duplicating themselves

Did I miss anything else. I'm sure I did, but I have to get to work, which is what BlackBerry should be doing about the contacts app.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F
    Wayfarer125 and raw_dog like this.
    03-31-14 09:03 AM

Did I miss anything else. I'm sure I did, but I have to get to work, which is what BlackBerry should be doing about the contacts app.

I've also had an issue sometime after a search that you click on a Contact and a different one is displayed!

Also had some anomalies when using the Phone or email apps that it's not pulling in the correct Contact or its not finding a Contact.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:06 AM
    I think I must already have a fixed version then. Sure on early 10.0 builds it had some contact linking issues, but now I have not had a problem in months.
    Set up 3 email accounts with overlapping contacts. FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Skype. BBM contacts, some PB video contacts.

Not a single duplicate entry, all accounts are linked together perfectly (as long as the user info is the same) and I can simply merge the ones that have anonymous handles.
    Most of it happened automatically, no user input needed.
    _____

Sure they should refine the contacts app to be more reliable. But to make it seem like it is making BB10 unusable is overreacting. I bet most regular users will not run into those problems.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    03-31-14 09:16 AM
    I've never had these problems. The most I've ever encountered is contacts not syncing to my accounts and contacts not deleting. That stopped happening a while ago, though.

What OS are you on?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:17 AM
    I've never had these problems. The most I've ever encountered is contacts not syncing to my accounts and contacts not deleting. That stopped happening a while ago, though.

What OS are you on?

Posted via CB10
    I've been on official 10.1,10.2, 10.2.1 releases. And leaks too. I've had these problems on all. Not matter how many times I fix it they keep coming back.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:22 AM
    I've been on official 10.1,10.2, 10.2.1 releases. And leaks too. I've had these problems on all. Not matter how many times I fix it they keep coming back.

Posted via CB10
    And what accounts are you syncing? I got rid of my GMail account, and moved everything to Outlook.com. I don't know if that really had anything to do with it, but I tool the time to clean up my contacts on a source that wasn't my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:26 AM
    And what accounts are you syncing? I got rid of my GMail account, and moved everything to Outlook.com. I don't know if that really had anything to do with it, but I tool the time to clean up my contacts on a source that wasn't my phone.

Posted via CB10
    I have Gmail accounts, two with personal domain names email addresses, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:28 AM
    I feel your pain, the Contacts issue is lame.
    Almost, if not already, embarrassing for BlackBerry......
    FIX IT SOMEONE!
    Please.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-31-14 09:29 AM
    I have Gmail accounts, two with personal domain names email addresses, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

Posted via CB10
    Try using the Gmail interface to verify your contact information is correct. When I used my phone on an old OS my Gmail contacts got all kinds of screwed up. After correcting the issue on Gmail the phone fixed itself. Keep in mind I didn't have the Gmail account synced when I made the changes.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:34 AM
    Have to say the contact app is one thing I do not like. Why, when you download your Facebook contacts can the app not just search for the persons name and add the missing info into it instead of creating a whole new contact then linking it with another contact. I also hate the fact that random contact info seems to disappear, has happened to me 2 times but my mom's q10 has done it to her at least 10 times and each time it was the cell number of the contact. This is beyond frustrating how can a simple built in app like contacts have issues this should be the last thing we ever have issues with.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    03-31-14 09:37 AM
    I have lost phone numbers for a bunch of contacts, off the top of my head:
    Phone numbers are missing,
    All users are FB contacts,

Some have other connections but the only common denominator are those 2. The FB comes back, so it's not like I am losing the person completely.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    03-31-14 01:52 PM
    What OS are you on?
    Posted via CB10
    This has been happening since I got my Z10 last May and I'm now using the latest Telus update.

I just pulled up one random contact and I see the same job title repeated three times and the phone number duplicated. One using hyphens and one with straight numbers.

I'm tired of correcting my contact's info.

03-31-14 03:53 PM

What OS are you on?

Posted via CB10
    you must be 1 in 1,000,000 haha
    03-31-14 04:50 PM
    I've had the same issue all along too. Although the social accounts are a bit of a bother till they're linked, my problem seems to be related to trying to sync with both home and work computers. It seemed much more transparent and easier to reconcile on my old BB; BBLink has been the problem and it won't let me decide which version to keep when a conflict arises.
    04-01-14 09:11 AM
    I started having overlapping contacts as soon as I turned my Q5 back on after a flight. It's now been two days that I have so many laughs at the incredible mixes my Contacts app is doing..
    My mum on whatsapp appears with the name of an old friend with the photo of my boss...SCARY!
    But yes, this is a shame, how can this not work properly?!? What the hell is BlackBerry doing?!?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:52 AM
    Since my last security wipe and install, I haven't had (m)any issued with contacts. I'm not sure why though!

One thing I've consciously done is to make sure that "Search for Contact Details" is off (and was never ever turned on).

I don't know if that's the answer is or not. But if it is then I would assume that it has to be that way from the beginning (i.e. Of it was on, if turning it off would solve it. Probably not).

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 09:38 AM
26 12