Hi,
    I work at a store where we often use Content Transfer to help our customers move their userdata from BB10 to newer phones. However, this app will be quite soon not anymore available for download, as the BBW goes down.
    I've spent some time reading various threads here. Is it by now safe to assume that:
    - that app is only available from BBW, not a part of latest firmwares
    - you can't extract istalled bar file from any backup; and even if it was possible, it would not work on other phones because the backup would already be associated to a concrete BBID
    - all of the sites/apps which were once available to download bar files from BBW are already gone
    Thanks very much!
    02-12-19 05:21 AM
    let's say we can't do anything and it a very sad thing after 2019...

Posted via CB10
    02-12-19 06:22 AM
    Well I am pretty OK as the story ends. It's been good days but it's over. No problem with that.

I am only interested to this particular app. Having the ability to sideload it would ultimately solve any problems for those who are going to move to a never phones a bit easier. So having a .bar for that app file is the only thing which is important right now.
    02-12-19 10:49 AM
    Hi,
    I work at a store where we often use Content Transfer to help our customers move their userdata from BB10 to newer phones. However, this app will be quite soon not anymore available for download, as the BBW goes down.
    I've spent some time reading various threads here. Is it by now safe to assume that:
    - that app is only available from BBW, not a part of latest firmwares
    - you can't extract istalled bar file from any backup; and even if it was possible, it would not work on other phones because the backup would already be associated to a concrete BBID
    - all of the sites/apps which were once available to download bar files from BBW are already gone
    Thanks very much!
    To the best of my knowledge:

Yes, yes, and yes.

However, for whatever it's worth, anyone still using BB10 after BBW goes down very likely will not be needing to move data to a new phone. For anyone who does have such a need there are third-party apps by the new phone manufacturers that will help with content transfer.
    02-12-19 06:21 PM
    This post isn't intended as a "downer" - rather I'm writing it to help prevent data loss:

If you are still using a BB10 device, BACK UP/TRANSFER YOUR DATA ***NOW***. Today! Do NOT wait until December (much less January!), because no one can say what may happen between now and then. For example, let's say that the server that runs BB World crashes in August - do you think that BB is going to spend any money or resources to get it back online just to take it down a few months later? I doubt it.

I'm not telling you to stop using your BB10 devices, I'm merely saying that you need to assume that any data you have solely on that phone may be lost on ANY GIVEN DAY with no way to recover it, so you need to be diligent about backing up that data or regularly transferring it to another device.

And about backups: do NOT rely on proprietary BB backups, which all require a working BBID infrastructure in order to work. Rather, you need to be exporting your data to unencrypted, industry-standard formats wherever possible. A Link backup is going to be worthless without a BBID server, for example.

Finally, do NOT rely on your SD card for backup purposes, because if the SD card wears out, or if the phone is lost or damaged, the SD card info may be lost at the same time. Back up your data someplace else!

It must be remembered that BB phones are not like most other phones that have gone EOL - BB has additional levels of security that prevent the kinds of alternatives and solutions that have allowed other platforms to continue after EOL, and most of them rely on BB's infrastructure being online - and it won't be. So, protect your data NOW and continue to protect it for as long as you continue to use your device, and assume that you could lose that data (on your phone) at any time with no notice, because that's the likely situation. You should assume that BB isn't going to lift a finger to help you, so you must take that responsibility yourself, now.
    dmlis and bbfanfan like this.
    02-13-19 04:58 PM
    I will say this.

When I switched from Z10 to the Galaxy S8 a year and a half back, the Setup and Transfer app provided by AT&T actually did a good job doing a direct transfer via the USB cable of a lot of things. I could select what files or whole folders to copy over, emails, texts, contacts, a bunch of things. It even asked for my BBID so it could access those things. I was surprised how well it worked.

The app was already on the phone so I did all this myself.

The only disappointment was that file dates all changed to the day of that transfer.

And then a few weeks back, after one unfortunate flat-faced fall hit a rock that knocked out my screen completely, the same app transfered everything to my now current S9. I still have texts from my Z10 days on it.
    02-13-19 05:20 PM
    And about backups: do NOT rely on proprietary BB backups, which all require a working BBID infrastructure in order to work. Rather, you need to be exporting your data to unencrypted, industry-standard formats wherever possible. A Link backup is going to be worthless without a BBID server, for example.
    Any recommendations on alternate means for backing up? I have thought about looking at getting a BES, but that is probably not feasible and/or possible as a backstop.

We only have BB10 devices which meet our needs, so I plan to continue using them until they physically wear out.

Thanks,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    02-13-19 05:28 PM
    Any recommendations on alternate means for backing up? I have thought about looking at getting a BES, but that is probably not feasible and/or possible as a backstop.

We only have BB10 devices which meet our needs, so I plan to continue using them until they physically wear out.

Thanks,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    Ultimate Backup is your friend here ajohansson. While it is not currently available outside of BBW, Runisoft (the app developers) are selling it via promo code, which suggests that they will continue to support it for some time and/or release the .BAR when BBW shuts down.

Go to Home and check them out...well worth the investment as a native BB10-based backup solution. It will also export data such as contacts, etc. to .csv.

While I won't go into all of Troy's points here, I will say that while more backups are always better than fewer and I support backing up to as many sources as possible, there is no current reason to believe that anything other than Blackberry World will be shut down as of 12/31/2019.
    02-13-19 07:01 PM

While I won't go into all of Troy's points here, I will say that while more backups are always better than fewer and I support backing up to as many sources as possible, there is no current reason to believe that anything other than Blackberry World will be shut down as of 12/31/2019.
    But as Troy alluded to, BlackBerry's BB10 infrastructure is very, very old right now, and you can pretty much guarantee that BlackBerry won't spend a dime if anything fails or breaks.
    02-13-19 07:09 PM
    But as Troy alluded to, BlackBerry's BB10 infrastructure is very, very old right now, and you can pretty much guarantee that BlackBerry won't spend a dime if anything fails or breaks.
    Considering that Blackberry is already spending money to employ the people who maintain Blackberry World, make updates available, and the like, and the relatively low expense of maintaining VMs, I suspect that they may indeed spend more than a dime.

However, the overall point is that, contrary to predictions otherwise, Blackberry has only committed to shutting down Blackberry World at the end of 2019. COULD other things break and shutdown? Sure they could. It's also possible that Blackberry Mobile will throw in the towel and decide this whole Android thing isn't working out for them, or that Blackberry Limited will EOL the K1 and K2 devices as they did the Priv.

Anything is possible, but we can (or at least should) only go on what we know for certain.
    02-13-19 07:41 PM
    Considering that Blackberry is already spending money to employ the people who maintain Blackberry World, make updates available, and the like, and the relatively low expense of maintaining VMs, I suspect that they may indeed spend more than a dime.

However, the overall point is that, contrary to predictions otherwise, Blackberry has only committed to shutting down Blackberry World at the end of 2019. COULD other things break and shutdown? Sure they could. It's also possible that Blackberry Mobile will throw in the towel and decide this whole Android thing isn't working out for them, or that Blackberry Limited will EOL the K1 and K2 devices as they did the Priv.

Anything is possible, but we can (or at least should) only go on what we know for certain.
    BlackBerry can't just EOL BlackBerry Mobile devices. They have a legal contract to uphold. TCL still has 3 years left on its licencing contract as well.

You can't possibly put that on the same footing as the last glowing embers of BB10.

Troy's reasoning is sound, and people should take the current state of BB10 urgently. There is no harm in playing it safe.

BTW, what updates are you referring to? There has only been one BB10 OS release in almost 2 years.
    02-13-19 07:53 PM
    BlackBerry can't just EOL BlackBerry Mobile devices. They have a legal contract to uphold. TCL still has 3 years left on its licencing contract as well.

You can't possibly put that on the same footing as the last glowing embers of BB10.

Troy's reasoning is sound, and people should take the current state of BB10 urgently. There is no harm in playing it safe.

BTW, what updates are you referring to? There has only been one BB10 OS release in almost 2 years.
    I'm referring to the updates to BB10 apps, which are still being updated in Blackberry World if developers submit them.

BlackBerry Limited very likely has contracts related to some of their business customers and Blackberry 10 as well, which would be one reason they have extended BBW this long. Such contracts would require maintenance of BB10 services.

(As a side note, I'd be curious about their contracts regarding Priv support, which expired long before anyone thought it would...but that's a digression.)

As I have already stated, I am a fan of multiple backups to multiple sources. I think it's somewhat disingenuous to suggest that BB10 does not support industry standards when many backup apps do support such things, but backups are always a good thing.

However, again, there is no reason to believe that anything will be shut down other than Blackberry World at this time.
    02-13-19 08:01 PM
    I think it's somewhat disingenuous to suggest that BB10 does not support industry standards when many backup apps do support such things, but backups are always a good thing.
    I wasn't suggesting anything. Link is the standard way to backup a BB10 device, but Link backups rely on BBID servers being up and running, and require a working BB10 device to access the data. The backup is encrypted and cannot be decrypted - it can only be restored to a device using the BBID (which, again, requires BB's infrastructure to be working).

This is why I'm advising people to export their emails, contacts, calendars, etc. into open, unencrypted formats that can be imported into other apps. To advise anything else is to open people up for permanent data loss.

Obviously if you're already using cloud services for these things, you have a backup, but as we know, many BB folks refuse to cloud sync anything, and so it's up to them to ensure that they have usable backups of their data in the event that their device is lost/stolen or stops working, and as I mentioned before, the way people are used to doing it (with Link) shouldn't be depended on or assumed to be a viable solution post-EOL - and I'm going further and recommending that people don't rely on it NOW, even though it's working as of today. That could change tomorrow or any day going forward, and it would be a shame if people lost important data, as I think you would agree.

However, again, there is no reason to believe that anything will be shut down other than Blackberry World at this time.
    There is abundant reasons to believe so, and to suggest otherwise is to put other people's data at risk (the people who read your posts and take them as fact). None of us knows WHEN the other infrastructure will go away, but we all know that it's going away, and it seems pretty obvious that EOL or soon after is likely to be the time. All corporate contracts will have expired, official EOL will have been reached (with 2 years of prior notice), and BB won't have any motivation to continue spending money to keep that infrastructure online.

Like anyone, you are welcome to do whatever you like, but for the folks who haven't been following things and don't really know what's going on, my advice will protect their data, while yours will not.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    02-14-19 03:07 PM
    I wasn't suggesting anything. Link is the standard way to backup a BB10 device, but Link backups rely on BBID servers being up and running, and require a working BB10 device to access the data. The backup is encrypted and cannot be decrypted - it can only be restored to a device using the BBID (which, again, requires BB's infrastructure to be working).

This is why I'm advising people to export their emails, contacts, calendars, etc. into open, unencrypted formats that can be imported into other apps. To advise anything else is to open people up for permanent data loss.

Obviously if you're already using cloud services for these things, you have a backup, but as we know, many BB folks refuse to cloud sync anything, and so it's up to them to ensure that they have usable backups of their data in the event that their device is lost/stolen or stops working, and as I mentioned before, the way people are used to doing it (with Link) shouldn't be depended on or assumed to be a viable solution post-EOL - and I'm going further and recommending that people don't rely on it NOW, even though it's working as of today. That could change tomorrow or any day going forward, and it would be a shame if people lost important data, as I think you would agree.

There is abundant reasons to believe so, and to suggest otherwise is to put other people's data at risk (the people who read your posts and take them as fact). None of us knows WHEN the other infrastructure will go away, but we all know that it's going away, and it seems pretty obvious that EOL or soon after is likely to be the time. All corporate contracts will have expired, official EOL will have been reached (with 2 years of prior notice), and BB won't have any motivation to continue spending money to keep that infrastructure online.

Like anyone, you are welcome to do whatever you like, but for the folks who haven't been following things and don't really know what's going on, my advice will protect their data, while yours will not.
    This is simply false.

1. Blackberry Limited has gone out of their way to cite specific services which will be shut down. They did not simply say all BB10 devices are EOL and will expire at the stroke of midnight on 12/31/2019. The fact that they did not specify Blackberry ID servers will go down suggests that they in fact will not.

2. Is it possible that BB ID servers will go down? Sure it is. Would it be better if people backed up their data in a way that did not require a Blackberry ID? Of course--more backups are better than fewer.

3. For the record--my advice is and always has been to backup your data to as many sources as possible. This includes using apps like Ultimate Backup on BB10 to backup your data to an SD card or the cloud. You can then copy said data from the SD cloud to whatever other media you wish, if you are concerned about your SD card failing or wish to have another archive.

4. For the folks who haven't been following things and don't really know what's going on, your advice will cause them to believe that their BB10 devices could fail at any time, we're not really sure what's going on, and there's no hard information on anything. This is untrue and alarmist.

My advice, on the other hand, relies on official statements from Blackberry Limited. Like anyone, you are welcome to do whatever you like, but for the folks who haven't been following things my advice will both protect their data and give them an accurate picture of the state of Blackberry 10. Your advice will scare them to death.
    02-14-19 03:19 PM
    The fact is that BB10 devices are ALREADY "breaking" for people for various reasons. The forums are filled with posts from people who have had a critical app or service stop working and because of their use cases are forced to move to a different device. There are so many apps and services out there that are important to people - even if they mean nothing to you - that it's a constant and ongoing problem for people, and it will only get worse.

Then consider that these devices are 4-5+ years old. Devices that old fail all the time for no particular reason (and not just BB's, but any smartphone or mobile device), especially devices that are carried daily.

Let's not forget that people lose their phones, get them stolen, or break them on a regular basis as well.

As I stated in the first sentence I posted, I'm NOT advocating against the use of BB10 - I'm merely encouraging people to protect their data and ensure that they aren't relying on ONLY having it on the phone (bad idea for ANY device!!!) or that they aren't relying on a Link backup, which has dependencies that are out of our control.

If you are naive enough to believe that BB will explicitly announce when they will end each service - after the entire platform is EOL'd, then that's your right, but I think it's reckless of you to suggest that to other people - especially since history isn't on your side. BB has a long history of making changes or ending services with minimal notice. For example, one day about 18 months ago, people discovered that they couldn't move their BBID back and forth between BBM for BB10 and BBM for Android/iOS - and any that had already moved to Android/iOS could not be moved back. There was no prior announcement of this, but many people lost access to their BB10 purchases in that mess - and there was no fix.

Again, I'm not suggesting that your BB10 phone will flash and burn up on 1/1/2020 like a Mission: Impossible tape recorder, but you need to accept that once the platform his EOL, BB will feel free to shut down anything related to that platform with no notice. That's what EOL means.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    02-14-19 03:36 PM
    The fact is that BB10 devices are ALREADY "breaking" for people for various reasons. The forums are filled with posts from people who have had a critical app or service stop working and because of their use cases are forced to move to a different device. There are so many apps and services out there that are important to people - even if they mean nothing to you - that it's a constant and ongoing problem for people, and it will only get worse.

Then consider that these devices are 4-5+ years old. Devices that old fail all the time for no particular reason (and not just BB's, but any smartphone or mobile device), especially devices that are carried daily.

Let's not forget that people lose their phones, get them stolen, or break them on a regular basis as well.

As I stated in the first sentence I posted, I'm NOT advocating against the use of BB10 - I'm merely encouraging people to protect their data and ensure that they aren't relying on ONLY having it on the phone (bad idea for ANY device!!!) or that they aren't relying on a Link backup, which has dependencies that are out of our control.

If you are naive enough to believe that BB will explicitly announce when they will end each service - after the entire platform is EOL'd, then that's your right, but I think it's reckless of you to suggest that to other people - especially since history isn't on your side. BB has a long history of making changes or ending services with minimal notice. For example, one day about 18 months ago, people discovered that they couldn't move their BBID back and forth between BBM for BB10 and BBM for Android/iOS - and any that had already moved to Android/iOS could not be moved back. There was no prior announcement of this, but many people lost access to their BB10 purchases in that mess - and there was no fix.

Again, I'm not suggesting that your BB10 phone will flash and burn up on 1/1/2020 like a Mission: Impossible tape recorder, but you need to accept that once the platform his EOL, BB will feel free to shut down anything related to that platform with no notice. That's what EOL means.
    Again, this is simply false.

1. BB10 devices are having various applications stop working in some cases. There are, however, many cases where those services/applications are able to be fixed and keep working--including many that are important to people. These people wish to keep using their applications on their Blackberry 10 devices, which--even if that means nothing to you--creates a problem for them that, in many cases, can be solved with a little effort. I know--I've done it for many people.

2. Are there cases where certain things may break beyond repair? Of course. Third-party services may change their APIs, etc. But this is a risk run by any smartphone platform. Google just randomly decided to close down Google+.

3. Devices certainly do fail, and people should have backup devices for BB10 to prepare for that possibility. Ditto for people losing their phones, having them stolen, etc.

4. As I have stated repeatedly and will probably have to state again--multiple backups to multiple sources, including those not dependent entirely on Blackberry ID-connected services, are a good thing to have.

5. If you are naive enough to believe that BBL simply turns things off with no notice whatsoever when they have given notice of specific platforms being discontinued on the same OS, then that's your right, but I think it's reckless of you to suggest that to other people--especially sine history is actually on my side. The example you cited concerning BBM was announced far in advance and related to BBL's outsourcing of BBM for Android/iOS to Emtek. In fact, if memory serves, Crackberry listed the announcement.

EOL means that a device or service is no longer supported, not that it will stop working. Likewise, when a company makes specific announcements about services it is shutting down and when, that implies that services not listed may well go on functioning. Since Blackberry ID in particular is a cross-platform service, that is further evidence to suggest that its servers may well remain online. However, again, what we know is that Blackberry Limited is making specific announcements about shutdowns of services AFTER the devices and OS have gone EOL.

EOL means no support, not necessarily no functionality. Could BB10-related services go down? Sure. Do we have evidence to suggest they will? No, we do not.
    02-14-19 03:49 PM
    Again, this is simply false.

1. BB10 devices are having various applications stop working in some cases. There are, however, many cases where those services/applications are able to be fixed and keep working--including many that are important to people. These people wish to keep using their applications on their Blackberry 10 devices, which--even if that means nothing to you--creates a problem for them that, in many cases, can be solved with a little effort. I know--I've done it for many people.

2. Are there cases where certain things may break beyond repair? Of course. Third-party services may change their APIs, etc. But this is a risk run by any smartphone platform. Google just randomly decided to close down Google+.

3. Devices certainly do fail, and people should have backup devices for BB10 to prepare for that possibility. Ditto for people losing their phones, having them stolen, etc.

4. As I have stated repeatedly and will probably have to state again--multiple backups to multiple sources, including those not dependent entirely on Blackberry ID-connected services, are a good thing to have.

5. If you are naive enough to believe that BBL simply turns things off with no notice whatsoever when they have given notice of specific platforms being discontinued on the same OS, then that's your right, but I think it's reckless of you to suggest that to other people--especially sine history is actually on my side. The example you cited concerning BBM was announced far in advance and related to BBL's outsourcing of BBM for Android/iOS to Emtek. In fact, if memory serves, Crackberry listed the announcement.

EOL means that a device or service is no longer supported, not that it will stop working. Likewise, when a company makes specific announcements about services it is shutting down and when, that implies that services not listed may well go on functioning. Since Blackberry ID in particular is a cross-platform service, that is further evidence to suggest that its servers may well remain online. However, again, what we know is that Blackberry Limited is making specific announcements about shutdowns of services AFTER the devices and OS have gone EOL.

EOL means no support, not necessarily no functionality. Could BB10-related services go down? Sure. Do we have evidence to suggest they will? No, we do not.
    I'm sorry, but this is absolutely reckless. While I commend you for suggesting regular backups, I think you are doing a major disservice to prospective or lay BB10 users.

The fact is, the BB10 situation is dire - there is no other way to look at it. The super-resourceful may be able to squeeze some more life out of it, but that's not most people.

A common sense, resilient strategy is to assume BB10 will cease to exist at ANY moment. If it makes it to Dec, or beyond, then great! Consider that a bonus. But a plan B should be ramped up now and ready to fly at a moment's notice for any BB10 user that depends on a smartphone.
    02-14-19 04:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is absolutely reckless. While I commend you for suggesting regular backups, I think you are doing a major disservice to prospective or lay BB10 users.

The fact is, the BB10 situation is dire - there is no other way to look at it. The super-resourceful may be able to squeeze some more life out of it, but that's not most people.

A common sense, resilient strategy is to assume BB10 will cease to exist at ANY moment. If it makes it to Dec, or beyond, then great! Consider that a bonus. But a plan B should be reeled up now and ready to fly for everyone that depends on a smartphone.
    I'm sorry, but it is absolutely reckless to suggest that the BB10 situation is anything other than what it is--a platform that is no longer supported by Blackberry Limited, but which in the opinion of many continues to have major benefits over the other smartphone platforms. I think you are doing a major disservice to prospective or lay BB10 users by suggesting (not in this thread, but in others) that the platform is completely not viable and that they should switch to Blackberry Android devices.

The BB10 situation is certainly one about which people should be realistic. Everyone should be informed, and they should know, for example, that there is currently no way to back up apps for which one does not have a .BAR file other than through Blackberry ID-based programs. If Blackberry ID servers go down after Blackberry World shuts down, this will mean that they cannot restore native apps without sideloading, and that only if they have a .BAR file. Whether or not this means it is "dire" depends on your individual use of the platform.

I'd argue that most people using BB10 at this point are aware of these issues, but if they're not, they certainly should be (honestly) informed about them.

A common sense, resilient strategy is to back up your data (which I'm glad we agree on) and assume that Blackberry 10 will at worst continue to work for the foreseeable future as it relates to built-in native apps and functioning Android apps. This has been tested and confirmed to be the case.

I would never discourage people from having backups and redundancies, as I have said again and again on this thread. If they wish to have an alternative device on another platform as a backup, then great! However, Blackberry 10 WILL continue to work (on compatible carriers, etc.) even if every single bit of Blackberry Limited-provided infrastructure goes down. This is tested, confirmed, and known to be true, and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.
    02-14-19 04:23 PM
    I'm sorry, but it is absolutely reckless to suggest that the BB10 situation is anything other than what it is--a platform that is no longer supported by Blackberry Limited, but which in the opinion of many continues to have major benefits over the other smartphone platforms. I think you are doing a major disservice to prospective or lay BB10 users by suggesting (not in this thread, but in others) that the platform is completely not viable and that they should switch to Blackberry Android devices.

The BB10 situation is certainly one about which people should be realistic. Everyone should be informed, and they should know, for example, that there is currently no way to back up apps for which one does not have a .BAR file other than through Blackberry ID-based programs. If Blackberry ID servers go down after Blackberry World shuts down, this will mean that they cannot restore native apps without sideloading, and that only if they have a .BAR file. Whether or not this means it is "dire" depends on your individual use of the platform.

I'd argue that most people using BB10 at this point are aware of these issues, but if they're not, they certainly should be (honestly) informed about them.

A common sense, resilient strategy is to back up your data (which I'm glad we agree on) and assume that Blackberry 10 will at worst continue to work for the foreseeable future as it relates to built-in native apps and functioning Android apps. This has been tested and confirmed to be the case.

I would never discourage people from having backups and redundancies, as I have said again and again on this thread. If they wish to have an alternative device on another platform as a backup, then great! However, Blackberry 10 WILL continue to work (on compatible carriers, etc.) even if every single bit of Blackberry Limited-provided infrastructure goes down. This is tested, confirmed, and known to be true, and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.
    It's nonsense to call my warning reckless. It's called due diligence.

Nor am I discussing platform preference here. I'm only talking about the ability to continue to USE BB10 as a daily driver.

I don't believe that BB10 will explode on Jan 1, and I don't think any of my posts suggest that.

But to stake your entire argument on what BlackBerry has NOT specifically stated about BB10's future is not logical.

If the BBID infrastructure, or BlackBerry World infrastructure fails on Sep 17th, that will be the end of either. Period.

The native file manager has lost connect to OneDrive, Dropbox, and Box over the last 12 months. What's to say about the future of BlackBerry Maps?

Not everyone is adept at sideloading and messing around with 4 year old Android apps.

I'm not issuing my warning to you or me, or any of the other proficient workarounders. I'm issuing it to the prospective or lay user.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-14-19 04:36 PM
    It's nonsense to call my warning reckless. It's called due diligence.

Nor am I discussing platform preference here. I'm only talking about the ability to continue to USE BB10 as a daily driver.

I don't believe that BB10 will explode on Jan 1, and I don't think any of my posts suggest that.

But to stake your entire argument on what BlackBerry has NOT specifically stated about BB10's future is not logical.

If the BBID infrastructure, or BlackBerry World infrastructure fails on Sep 17th, that will be the end of either. Period.

The native file manager has lost connect to OneDrive, Dropbox, and Box over the last 12 months. What's to say about the future of BlackBerry Maps?

Not everyone is adept at sideloading and messing around with 4 year old Android apps.

I'm not issuing my warning to you or me, or any of the other proficient workarounders. I'm issuing it to the prospective or lay user.
    It's entirely logical to call your warning reckless--it's what it is. Due diligence is investigating the entire situation so that you're fully informed, which is all I am advocating.

USING BB10 as a daily driver is still entirely possible for many. It depends on what sorts of daily driving they do, and for those of us who still use it as a daily driver, we're perfectly fine with what it can and cannot do. The prospective or lay user who is still interested in BB10 has similar interests, as evidenced by many of those prospective or lay users posting in innumerable threads throughout Crackberry.

I stake my argument on evidence and what Blackberry Limited HAS specifically stated about BB10's future. It is you who are staking your argument on what they have NOT specifically stated.

If BBID or Blackberry World fails on September 17th, it is entirely possible and likely that BBL would repair it to its previous state. But even if they did not, in violation of all statements to the contrary and previous evidence concerning their maintenance of existing BB10 services which have not been announced to go dark, that would simply mean that, at an absolute worst case, BB10 devices would be limited to the built-in native apps, which would mean they could still be used for e-mail, texting, calls, media consumption, file review and editing, and numerous other built-in functions.

I'm well aware that not everyone is adept at messing with 4 year old Android apps, or even newer apps. And again, people should certainly be informed about the state of Blackberry 10 and how its various functions work, as well as what is known to happen when Blackberry World shuts down. They should also be aware of the possibilities of Blackberry ID going down, IF that were to occur at some point.

However, your warning goes beyond simply informing the prospective or lay user and implies that their services and devices could fail at any time. There is no evidence to suggest this, and to this point there never has been.

I'm issuing my advice to the prospective or lay user, as I always have when those individuals post or are in discussion. They are free to follow whatever advice they choose, as are we all. But I will continue to offer the best advice, help, and assistance I can for those who want to continue using BB10. I will also call a spade a spade and stand for the truth of what is known about the platform--not what people speculate may occur possibly at some point.
    02-14-19 04:51 PM
    It's entirely logical to call your warning reckless--it's what it is. Due diligence is investigating the entire situation so that you're fully informed, which is all I am advocating.
    But if your bias is to be up and running 24/7 without interruption, a glass half-full approach is not a resilient plan for a dying platform 10 months away from full EOL, operating on aged infrastructure.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-14-19 05:15 PM
    But if your bias is to be up and running 24/7 without interruption, a glass half-full approach is not a resilient plan for a dying platform 10 months away from full EOL, operating on aged infrastructure.
    When you currently have a full glass and you have no reason to believe it will empty itself, and when you're using a platform that's confirmed to work for what you need it to independent of any infrastructure that hasn't even been confirmed to be shut off, I'd say your approach is pretty resilient.
    02-14-19 05:32 PM
    Maybe someone writes to Chen and ask him which funcionality will be turn off xD?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-19 11:42 PM
    Maybe someone writes to Chen and ask him which funcionality will be turn off xD?

Posted via CB10
    Chen wouldn't know or care. Honestly.

The 3 people left in the room are just staring at the clock.
    02-14-19 11:46 PM
    Chen wouldn't know or care. Honestly.

The 3 people left in the room are just staring at the clock.
    Only 2. The other one filed for early retirement. 😀
    02-15-19 12:10 AM
62 123