I searched the forum a bit and couldn`t find a thread on BB reasoning for releasing BBM4ALL.

I`ve been a RIM/BB user since 2006 and still a BB customer. I use a BB Bold as I didn`t like the Z10 (if I wanted that.. Id just have gotten a iPhone). Waited for the Q and didn`t like the limited screen size and was hoping for a larger screen Q10. I like BB10 but its really not an advantage to me over my current BB Bold other then for 4G... At the end of the day, I have yet to see a reason to upgrade. I do travel a lot and like the BB enterprise compression of data when travelling overseas.

What I`m troubled about now is utter confusion on the direction that BB has taken to release BBM to other OS`s. Its one of the core reasons why I stayed with them through all the troubled period. I like the idea of sharing a ID vs. phone number to contacts. Plus, its All In One discussion interface and groups is stellar.

Why give it away for free?
    Why give it away to other Operating Systems like iOS and Android..? When it was one of the really truly unique features of owning a BB other then the awesome keyboard and emailing.

I know of several people who stay loyal to BB because of BBM.. just in 1 day I have seen a lot of people now looking at other manufacturers as a result of releasing it to other OS... everyone is like.. whats the point..

God.. please fire everyone on the board and bring back Mike L and Jim B and get this ship fixed ASAP.

In my opinion, its a stupid dumb move and pisses me off to the point that Im ready to jump ship. Its just another kick in the face of the bb user who stayed loyal.

Lucky for BB, I hate the iPhone 5s fingerprinter scanner bullsh--. I don`t like their new User Interface either.
    Lucky for BB, I do not like OpenSource Operating Sytems like Android but more open to it now the BB has pissed me off giving away a valuable asset like BBM.
    I do not like Miicrosoft Mobile OS either..

I hate the idea of Android as business and as a concept. Giving stuff away for free to me is just stupid.. I would rather pay then have AD`s everywhere.. Google screwed up Youtube (had those snippet ads).. Google`s changes to MAPS highlighting only paid for content and needing to drill down PINs to find other search results wreaks.. I do not use GMAIL. Let me pay and STOP bombarding me with ads.
    10-22-13 09:04 AM
    Cross platform BBM may not save BlackBerry, but keeping it exclusive definitely wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:07 AM
    Cross platform BBM may not save BlackBerry, but keeping it exclusive definitely wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    And I think this is the crux of the whole thing.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    10-22-13 09:08 AM
    That doesn't answer or provide any reasoning as to why do it all??? Yes, keeping it in the BB ecosystem would not save them.. but how is releasing it any better of an option.

All they are going to do is get flack for lack of multi-device support and lack of wifi enable device support... Its a lose lose scenario for them.

Fewer handsets sold as core user migirate to other manufactuers.
    Bad press.

No one is going to buy a blackberry cause of their BB4ALL release but many may leave BB for good.
    10-22-13 09:11 AM
    Well if they spin off bbm as a separate company and/or become software and services only, it makes sense I think.

Besides, why offer bbm at all if the user base dwindles to nothing?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:14 AM
    So we have more people to bbm with

Posted from my Z10
    10-22-13 09:16 AM
    As a seperate company BBM??? How would they every monetize such an APP... without alienating the user base. That would be a huge huge huge challenge.. far greater then the one they are currently facing.
    10-22-13 09:17 AM
    Well if they spin off bbm as a separate company and/or become software and services only, it makes sense I think.

Besides, why offer bbm at all if the user base dwindles to nothing?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Well put.

Now, BBM can potentially be a valuable piece that can sustain itself, or either be one of the crown jewels of what could be a new iteration of BBRY.
    10-22-13 09:19 AM
    I'm not a fan of it but I can see them thinking if they make the app the same as bb10, and ppl might start to like swiping and the layout of the app. Maybe it would make ppl try out the bb10 phones

Posted via CB10
    Morpheus v7, DJM626 and QtHelex like this.
    10-22-13 09:20 AM
    As a seperate company BBM??? How would they every monetize such an APP... without alienating the user base. That would be a huge huge huge challenge.. far greater then the one they are currently facing.
    Instant messaging it's a huge market. If BBRY can solve the addition riddle, monetization can come.

I concede it will be quite tricky, but the first step, I think, it's getting this in the hands of people who just might pay our consume ads in the future.
    10-22-13 09:22 AM
    I agree with him it's the dumbest idea BlackBerry ever had there are going get millions of Bbm users but lose million in phone sales I have around 400 contacts 122 are BlackBerry phones

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:24 AM
    Honestly if they can figure out bbm money internationally, the transaction fees could be substantial. And I imagine they have big plans for channels.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey and fanatical like this.
    10-22-13 09:24 AM
    Your rant makes no sense. Your going to ditch your phone because your mad that you can BBM iPhone users? WTF? Buy a phone you like. It's like an iPhone user saying they would ditch their phone if apple let blackberry users facetime! I don't use BBM because although I love my BlackBerry, literally none of my friends have one. Now I might start using it, and my friends might like it, and might buy a blackberry in the future.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, John Ho, der_mit and 21 others like this.
    10-22-13 09:28 AM
    Has there ever been a phone free app that went on to actualize monetize well and make a SIGNIFICANT revenue (in the 10's or 100's of million) that a product like BBM would need to do for BB.. I very much highly doubt that (i do not see how Facebook or Instagram is applicable as both are web based - desktop key software).

So .. its seems like a craps shoot.. throw it out there and hope something comes out of it vs. any sound reasoning behind it is what we can gather from peoples opinion thus far in this thread. Hardly a sound business model ...
    10-22-13 09:31 AM
    Wasn't Cross Platform BBM Jim B's idea in the first place?
    10-22-13 09:31 AM
    I agree with him it's the dumbest idea BlackBerry ever had there are going get millions of Bbm users but lose million in phone sales I have around 400 contacts 122 are BlackBerry phones

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.
    10-22-13 09:32 AM
    ISTM it makes sense to tear down the BBM wall, particularly when BlackBerry market share fell below critical mass. Before yesterday, I could only communicate with a small fraction of my contacts through BBM, a communication tool. BBM, as BlackBerry contracted, began to resemble a private club whose time had passed. It ceased being a powerful draw to the platform and began to seem like a symptom.

I wish BlackBerry had opened it up before it released BB10. It might have marginally helped Z10 and Q10 sales and it would be helped to avoid releasing cross-platform without the run up of so much negative press about BlackBerry.

I hope to convince more of my contacts to try BBM as it is a great app and it might be a few more BlackBerry pebbles on the positive side of the scales. I really like the BB10 phones and BB10. At some point maybe the good will outweigh the bad (advertising and pr).

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    Honestly there would never buy a BlackBerry yes BlackBerry has one of the best phones out but there better Bbm on other phone is not going to bring ppl to BlackBerry think about it did Skype bring ppl do wp no

Posted via CB10
    OP while i understand your confusion and disappointment, I think what BB is doing is right on track. BlackBerry had their share of success and failure, financially. The biggest asset to a company isnt there cash, its their reputation. BlackBerry has lost the consumer trust because of their product shortcomings. Their reputation (especially in the US) is not good.

Here's where BBM comes into play. BBM is arguable BlackBerry's biggest advantage and strongest product. By releasing BBM for free, it gives BlackBerry a chance to atone for their bad reputation and start rebuilding their brand. By having more users (whether they use ios or android or bb) use BBM, its an opportunity for BlackBerry to reshape their image in a positive way.
    tdaye, Ecm, geoggers35 and 11 others like this.
    10-22-13 09:36 AM
    Your rant makes no sense. Your going to ditch your phone because your mad that you can BBM iPhone users? WTF? Buy a phone you like. It's like an iPhone user saying they would ditch their phone if apple let blackberry users facetime! I don't use BBM because although I love my BlackBerry, literally none of my friends have one. Now I might start using it, and my friends might like it, and might buy a blackberry in the future.

Posted via CB10
    I would ditch my support for BB since it would no longer hold any VALUE as Operating System and ECOSYSTEM if they are going to be giving away key BB developed software features to competitors.

As for you keeping a bb in the future cause your friends would link back in.. Blackberry not only needs to hold on to its user base BUT TO ADD millions of lost customers. Giving away their key assests are not going to add phone sales lost to other manufacturers but could very much send millions of CURRENT users away for lack of direction in how they intend to move the company forward.

If BB copies APPLE so be it (aka Facetime).. its not as if Apple said.. I have this great APP that is unique and patented and give it away to BB... Seriously... flawed agrument. Sorry.
    10-22-13 09:36 AM
    Please calm down. I'm sincerely worried that you might have a stroke or some other condition caused by a rise in blood pressure. I realize that you may like BlackBerry, but BBM isn't something that is critical in your life.
    10-22-13 09:40 AM
    OP while i understand your confusion and disappointment, I think what BB is doing is right on track. BlackBerry had their share of success and failure, financially. The biggest asset to a company isnt there cash, its their reputation. BlackBerry has lost the consumer trust because of their product shortcomings. Their reputation (especially in the US) is not good.

Here's where BBM comes into play. BBM is arguable BlackBerry's biggest advantage and strongest product. By releasing BBM for free, it gives BlackBerry a chance to atone for their bad reputation and start rebuilding their brand. By having more users (whether they use ios or android or bb) use BBM, its an opportunity for BlackBerry to reshape their image in a positive way.
    Their reputation is only tranished because of them not providing handsets in a timely manner and poorly executed until the Q10 and Z30.. Heins and Co. simply made a mess by launching the Z10.. was simply not big and not good enough.. Had they launched the Z30-Q10 together intially.. things would have been different..

Also, they only reason bb is wandering around wounded is because they have yet to make inroads in app development. That doesn`t change by releasing one of their most valuable products for FREE and to competitors. The billions they lost in handset write down, if they had made any real effort in address APP designer concerns and hell even paid for APPs to be native.. they wouldn`t be in the tailspin.
    10-22-13 09:44 AM
    Word of mouth is the best marketing tactic . Us loyal bbm users have watched our contact lists dwindle each year to the point where I was starting to feel isolated from the rest of the world. This opens up a huge potential of users coming back to the platform that they know and loved . It also gives the rest of the world a chance to know that BB users are still out there and we have a voice. Maybe even convincing some fed up IOS users to come back (and yes they are out there).

It breaths new life into Blackberry , BBM is trending on twitter and as we all know blackberry needs a "win" right now . Announcing say x million new BBM subscribers in 6 months would be good PR for a company that is desperately needing it. Maybe those hesitant on upgrading older devices to BB10 may feel better doing so after reading a positive Blackberry news headline for a change....

The user interface on BBM on Android and IOS is the same as on BB10 . This gives them a taste of what its like to use a BB10 device maybe giving them some familiarity with the operating system if they ever were pondering a change. I know when i pick up a droid i have no idea how to use it especially after BB10 I find myself swiping from the bottom of the screen on all electronic devices....

Marketing .... unless you have the BBM channels beta were not exactly sure how this is going to tie into the BBM4ALL release. If Blackberry can use this as a marketing tool to users on competitor devices , especially those who have left the BB platform your looking at a direct marketing tool that can potentially reach 100 - 300 million BBM users. ( if bbm is as successful as whatsapp)

In the end keeping BBM exclusive failed, theres no question about that. Opening it up might not be the solution but its worth a shot and it sure made my BBM blow up yesterday . I haven't added 15 new BBM contacts in one day since.... 2009?
    10-22-13 09:45 AM
    Please calm down. I'm sincerely worried that you might have a stroke or some other condition caused by a rise in blood pressure. I realize that you may like BlackBerry, but BBM isn't something that is critical in your life.
    LOL .. touche. I just hate seeing a Canadian business that I supported and stood behind make what appears to be foolish and desperate decisions that once the rabbit is out of the hat can not be undone.
    10-22-13 09:46 AM
    It looks quite obvious that they're getting ready to go into software only to me. I love BlackBerry also. It's a shame it's come to this but, it is what it is. The benefits for BlackBerry are that become the most used chat service again. I can't see there hardware shifting though.

I hope they hold some features back for us people who own an actual BlackBerry device and don't give those non BlackBerry users everything.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:55 AM
164 123 ...