App Name: Color ID FREE ★ LED Light Color Customizer for BBM™

Summary: Hi Crackberry, I have some big news! We worked diligently to release a version of Color ID just for the BB10 devices If you are one of the lucky owners of the new Z10, you will notice that Color ID v2.5.2 is available exclusively in BlackBerry World. We did have a previous version right at launch, but it had a couple bugs which we were unable to reproduce with our Dev Alpha test device. After we got a Z10, we were able to fix them so if you were one of those early birds that downloaded v2.5.1, I strongly suggest you update to v2.5.2. At the time of writing, we are preparing to release v2.5.3 which adds an LED preview and some information to the About screen.

As many of you early birds have noticed, the BB10 version of Color ID differs from the BBOS version. It's a completely new operating system and that means we're back to square one developing for it. Users expecting the BB10 version to be similar to BBOS may be in for a bit of a disappointment, but don't fret; we will continuously update the BB10 version for free as new development opportunities arise.

The first thing you will notice is that the BB10 version is quite a bit simpler than BBOS. We have figured out how to trigger the LED for text messages and emails from specific contacts. As usual, you need to accept all the app permissions during installation. The app MUST be running in one of the 8 frames. As soon as you close the frame, Color ID ceases to function. There is currently no way around this and it is simply how it has to be on BB10. Setting it up is almost the same as the BBOS version in the sense that you simply enter a name, phone number and email address in the spaces provided. Rather than having separate boxes for each phone number and email address, you can add a comma between them in the single box (i.e. "5191234567,5197654321") spaces and dashes are not required. As with BBOS CiD, you can get away with adding a portion of an email address such as the domain, or the complete address, the choice is yours. For the moment, the LED choices are smaller. We're able to display a single color to represent a unique contact. You will also notice that the LED alternates between red and your chosen color. At the moment, there is no way to override the red LED. That may change in the future, but for now, this is the best we can do with the tools we are given. There is more information about this if you skip to post #28. We have also added the option to control how many times the LED blinks (5, 10, 20 and 100). Currently we are offering it for free (limited to 2 contacts) and we have decided to use BlackBerry's in-app purchase system to "unlock" it to use with multiple contacts. In-app purchasing seems to be much smoother and refined on BB10 than BBOS, so don't be shy about buying the full version using that method. Alternatively, we will be offering a full version in BlackBerry World very soon. It's currently priced at $2.99usd and as I mentioned before, future updates will be free as usual

I know it's not the same as the old version, but we are committed to improving the app as new API's and development opportunities arise. Rest assured that we will take advantage of every chance we get to make the BB10 version of Color ID the best LED notification app out there (even though it's currently the only one ).

If you've already purchased it, thank you so much, we greatly appreciate your support! . If you're not sure if you will like it, I encourage you to download the free version and give it a shot.

Link to BlackBerry World Download: BlackBerry World - Color ID FREE

Price: Free for 2 contacts, on sale for a one time fee of $2.99usd for multiple contacts via in app purchase.

Full version link to BlackBerry World Download: BlackBerry World - Color ID Full Version

Price: On sale for a one time fee of $2.99usd outright. Regularily priced @ $5.99usd

We would really like to hear your feedback/suggestions/comments through the support email in the app's "About" section or right here in the CrackBerry forums. We look to our user's input to improve your experience with not only Color ID, but all the products we make. Thanks again!

nige
    Last edited by motekmobile; 03-04-13 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added link to full version and link to LED behaviour post #28
    02-19-13 03:38 PM
    Thank you.
    motekmobile likes this.
    02-19-13 03:56 PM
    Dang, that kinda sucks that it has to be in the active frame. Hopefully the code to bypass that comes soon.
    Shane8750 likes this.
    02-19-13 04:09 PM
    Hi

How do I update? The version I have now says unavailable for this device and the free version wants me to pay for the upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Simon

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 04:37 PM
    Hi

How do I update? The version I have now says unavailable for this device and the free version wants me to pay for the upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Simon

Posted via CB10
    I have the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 02:31 AM
    for clarification since i just tried it out

Adding a color to a specific contact is straight forward ( you choose the contact and its good to go)

If you want to have a blanket rule for a specific email domain do the following:
    Leave the name field blank and put in a domain only (for example, gmail.com or outlook.com) and your LED will be changed for all emails that ORIGINATE from that address.
    Meaning the SENDERS email has to be from that specific domain in order to change the LED color, NOT the receiver (aka you)... (wont work like previous BB os versions)

Example:
    Under domain put gmail.com
    then LED notification for all emails FROM @gmail.com will be changed...
    if you receive an email from another domain ( like @outlook.com) to your gmail.com email address, it will NOT be changed

and it seems to alternate between RED and the color you choose ( RED....COLOR....RED...COLOR...etc)
    02-20-13 03:37 AM
    As well as not being able to re-download the paid version that I have already brought the led doesnt seem to stop blinking unless you close the app.

Also why does the app want access to my device pin identifier?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 03:56 AM
    The app MUST be running in one of the 8 frames. As soon as you close the frame, Color ID ceases to function. There is currently no way around this and it is simply how it has to be on BB10.
    Ok ,this feels like an issue....so, if I have NO FRAMES open, the app does not run?

I would buy this app in a heartbeat, if it was able to run in the background, like many did in OS7.

Keep working at it...there's many BB10 users that are waiting for an app like this...
    02-20-13 04:03 AM
    Hi

Thanks
    Simon

Posted via CB10
    I have the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    As well as not being able to re-download the paid version that I have already brought the led doesnt seem to stop blinking unless you close the app.

Also why does the app want access to my device pin identifier?

Posted via CB10
    Hi guys, we will be releasing the BB10 version of Color ID full very shortly so just keep using the free version until you see an update available for the full BBOS version (2.4.2) of CiD. BlackBerry has told us that you should be able to reinstall the full version on your BB10 device when it is available with no extra charge, but since this is all new to us as well, I can't guarantee that's what will happen. The next version coming up will be 2.5.3.18.

As for the permission, I know we need access to some personal info like phone numbers and email addresses in order to make this app work. We also collect anonymous usage statistics to see how our customers use the app. It helps us make decisions on features to add or remove and other changes to the functionality.
    02-20-13 02:50 PM
    Does app have the capability to set the color by notification type? IE: red for email, yellow for text messages, green for BBM etc.
    02-20-13 03:06 PM
    I now have 2.52.16 installed but it still has a problem with looking up contacts as did the original version. The first version available for the Z10 only showed about a half dozen of my contacts. This version shows more when you go to find contacts, but there are still some contacts missing. For example my wife is in my Z10 Contacts, but she does not show in the Find Contacts in Color ID.

It will be nice to not have to leave the app running, but they I understand this functionality will require a BB10 update as background notifications are not yet supported for many/all 3rd party apps, correct?
    02-20-13 03:34 PM
    I now have 2.52.16 installed but it still has a problem with looking up contacts as did the original version. The first version available for the Z10 only showed about a half dozen of my contacts. This version shows more when you go to find contacts, but there are still some contacts missing. For example my wife is in my Z10 Contacts, but she does not show in the Find Contacts in Color ID.

It will be nice to not have to leave the app running, but they I understand this functionality will require a BB10 update as background notifications are not yet supported for many/all 3rd party apps, correct?
    It seems to me that it can't see the merged contacts.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 03:42 PM
    You mean linked contacts? If so I don't think that's it as it can find my niece as well as other linked contacts, but not my wife. They both have linked entries.
    02-20-13 04:06 PM
    Ok ,this feels like an issue....so, if I have NO FRAMES open, the app does not run?

I would buy this app in a heartbeat, if it was able to run in the background, like many did in OS7.

Keep working at it...there's many BB10 users that are waiting for an app like this...
    At this point there is nothing motekmobile or any other developer can do to overcome this. It's a limitation implemented by BlackBerry and only after they remove that limitation can developers run apps without an active frame.
    motekmobile likes this.
    02-20-13 04:20 PM

I'm seeing the same issue. When looking up a contact, it's not seeing all my contacts. If a contact has many links (ie: local, LinkedIn, BBM, outlook.com, SIM) then it seems to not find it. If I remove all the links and leave one, I can see the contact from within the app
    02-22-13 12:43 PM
    Does app have the capability to set the color by notification type? IE: red for email, yellow for text messages, green for BBM etc.
    That would actually be more useful for me than colours for individual contacts - see at a glance whether it's a work email, personal email etc. Does the app have that option?
    inked18 likes this.
    02-23-13 04:16 PM
    That would actually be more useful for me than colours for individual contacts - see at a glance whether it's a work email, personal email etc. Does the app have that option?
    no it doesnt! i would defiantly pay for this app if color can bet set by notification type instead of contacts
    inked18 likes this.
    02-23-13 07:25 PM
    I'm seeing the same issue. When looking up a contact, it's not seeing all my contacts. If a contact has many links (ie: local, LinkedIn, BBM, outlook.com, SIM) then it seems to not find it. If I remove all the links and leave one, I can see the contact from within the app
    Hi Shabbs, yes this is what we are noticing too. We've heard that it is a bug with the BB10 OS and should be addressed in an update. Thanks for your insight.

no it doesnt! i would defiantly pay for this app if color can bet set by notification type instead of contacts
    We considered doing this with the BBOS version of CiD, but decided against it since it doesn't quite fit the app's mantra of focusing on the sender rather than the destination of the message. However, you could create a contact called "work" and add your work's email domain(s) in the space provided ie "motekmobile.com" for myself. That way, anytime you receive a message from that domain, the LED would light the color you have chosen. It's a little more laborious for SMS messages, but also possible.

On a side note, those of you who purchased the full version of Color ID for your legacy BB devices (BBOS) should see there is an update available for you. Look for v2.5.3.18 in BlackBerry World. I would like to hear your experiences reinstalling it on your BB10 phone as updating an app from BBOS to BB10 is new to us. As I mentioned before, I cannot guarantee that you will not have to pay for the BB10 update, BlackBerry has told us you shouldn't.

nige
    Last edited by motekmobile; 02-25-13 at 04:46 PM.
    02-25-13 02:44 PM
    They're ok I guess, but it just loses the BlackBerry authentication of the red light when a BBm comes through and the light goes of as pink. Unless BlackBerry bring out an offical one, ill never use one.
    02-25-13 05:05 PM
    It has now let me update the version I paid for without paying again.

Posted via CB10
    motekmobile likes this.
    02-25-13 11:35 PM
    A+ for effort.
    It's not a practical app at the moment. Hopefully BB10 will make it natively customizable, the LEDs I mean.
    02-26-13 01:37 AM
    When RIM/Blackberry updates the Blackberry 10 APIs with more sophisticated notification options (rumored update) and finish the planned feature (definite update) that allows "headless apps", then utilities like this will be more practical/feasible.

Thanks for writing this in any case, it helps enhance a rather threadbare notification system on the original release of BB10.
    02-27-13 03:56 AM
    Thank, I like it
    02-27-13 03:58 AM
    When RIM/Blackberry updates the Blackberry 10 APIs with more sophisticated notification options (rumored update) and finish the planned feature (definite update) that allows "headless apps", then utilities like this will be more practical/feasible.

Thanks for writing this in any case, it helps enhance a rather threadbare notification system on the original release of BB10.
    Yeah, once they can allow for apps to run headless and get access to more "controls" this app will be a lot better. Getting there.
    02-27-13 07:20 AM
    By setting the email to just .com it will work for all emails to come in as red + whatever color. I used to use Advanced OS and LED on my 9900 so I'm used to doing colors by type of message and not setup every single one of my contacts. At least I know green is emails for now! =) Thanks for your development!
    02-27-13 10:35 AM
58 123