Hey guys....my dropbox alphas never worked from day 1.

Any other good cloud storage apps you recommend? Native if preferable.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    06-19-15 08:10 PM
    Mega... gives 50gb of free storage

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    06-19-15 08:39 PM
    Native:

OneDrive
    BOX

I use BOX. Got 50GB on the PlayBook Promotion. Free accounts are 10GB. Do watch for the 25/50GB promos though.

Mega... gives 50gb of free storage
    Not native though.
    06-19-15 08:42 PM
    Onedrive and Box work great, although you may get some downsized photos with Onedrive. I think there was a thread mentioning that limit was removed, but cautioning just in case it isn't; also it can be slow when accessing folders. Box has a lower limit (unless promotion) but has always been no-fuss/no-muss for me.
    06-19-15 09:00 PM
    Also, the first few times I tried to quote the OP I got the following, which seems to have resolved now.
    Attached Thumbnails Cloud storage apps-1434765743505.jpg  
    06-19-15 09:03 PM
    I use box
    It comes pre installed on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 09:23 PM
    I use box
    It comes pre installed on the Passport.
    One gotta love BOX.
    06-19-15 09:30 PM
    Mega, box, drop box.. enough for me..

 Z3 STJ100-1 ~10.3.1.2576 ~
    06-19-15 09:31 PM
    Onedrive 100gb for 2 years!

Cloud storage apps-img_20150620_111630_edit.png

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-19-15 10:19 PM
    OneDrive
    Cloud storage apps-img_20150619_232258_edit.png

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport�
    06-19-15 10:26 PM
    Hey guys....my dropbox alphas never worked from day 1.

Any other good cloud storage apps you recommend? Native if preferable.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Buy a 128gbyte memory card. You'll never need the cloud and you will be secure.
    Those with clouds want your data...
    06-19-15 10:47 PM
    Thread moved from Passport Forum to BB10 Apps Forum, since it's not specific to Passport.
    06-19-15 10:51 PM
    OneDrive
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150619_232258_edit.png 
Views:	804 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	358571

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport�
    Lol

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-19-15 11:29 PM
    I use Box to automatically upload pics & videos from my Classic.

I use Onedrive to do the same with my Passport. Frequently I get a message that a video was too large to upload to Ondrive. I've never seen this with Box, but I do realize the files might be larger on the Passport with the larger megapixel sensor.
    06-20-15 12:38 AM
    Unless someone walks off with the device containing the memory card. Sure, it's probably encrypted, but sayonara whatever was on there. There's a few people out there that don't do hourly manual backups.
    06-20-15 05:59 AM
    I have been using computers, since 1980. I rarely back up...maybe once every two three months. I have never lost any files..but I use neither windows nor macs...

128 gbyte is more than I had on my laptop 6-7 years ago.

Of course I back up my music and pictures from the card to my laptop now and then..
    But I certainly would not put anything in the cloud. Not even BlackBerry cloud.
    There is absolutely no need for it since Linux and BlackBerry phones do not crash that often.

If I want to back up a file from my Passport to my work computer while travelling, I sftp it or use ghostcommander (not sure how safe the latter is)

But there is absolutely no reason to use the cloud. Memory is so cheap.
    The cloud is another invention of IT companies looking for business and to sell your data.
    Instead of coming up with new types of products and applications, their lack of imagination, creativity, and desperation to keep going, made them reinvent storage as the mostly useless cloud.

Who knows if that particular company with Box or dropbox or whatever cloud service you use will be around 2-3 years from now? What will happen to your data if they fold?
    06-20-15 02:55 PM
    We use cloud to save our data for future use. suppose you loose your phone and now you have to do some official work(your boss will not listen any excuses ), how can you do it ?

So upload your data to cloud and use it whenever and wherever you are..

06-20-15 05:11 PM
    I think that cloud storage is great for BACKUP, but not as primary storage. I've seen too many people lose their phone or it gets smashed or somehow broken or dies or stolen. If you don't backup your data, you are not being realistic about all of the dangers that can befall a phone.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    06-21-15 01:11 AM
    We use cloud to save our data for future use. suppose you loose your phone and now you have to do some official work(your boss will not listen any excuses ), how can you do it ?

So upload your data to cloud and use it whenever and wherever you are..

Why don't you upolad it directly to your work computer through the Internet when you travel using secure ftp?
    Why do you have to share it with whoever owns that cloud?
    How do you think we backed our data before the "cloud"?
    The cloud is just a new name to an old solution.

If you are so prone to losing your phone every day, you can also back-up your data on an sdcard and pull the sdcard out of your phone and store it on yourself.

Unless you are afraid to "lose" yourself and your phone, this is still a safer, simpler, solution and does not consume your data plan.

There is absolutely no new industry or product with the cloud, other than the value of your data to others. Just a bunch of middlemen who capitalize on people's laziness and lack of understanding of what the cloud actually is and what it does with your data.
    The sdcard is small enough to put in in your wallet and you can use it "whenever and wherever" you are.

Lastly, synching to the cloud of backing up your data all the time is the most energy inefficient way to store your data and the most efficient way to contribute to global warming.

Wireless communication is the most energy inefficient compared to wired communication.
    Compared to just storing data to your sdcard, you are now adding energy inefficient communication to that process.
    Burning more battery power and increasing your data plan consumption, losing the ownership and security of your data. All those come with cloud storage.
    Last edited by sorinv; 06-21-15 at 06:16 AM.
    06-21-15 05:48 AM
    Why don't you upolad it directly to your work computer through the Internet when you travel using secure ftp?
    How to set up ftp?

STL 100-1 | 10.3.1.1779
    06-21-15 01:59 PM

If you are so prone to losing your phone every day, you can also back-up your data on an sdcard and pull the sdcard out of your phone and store it on yourself.

Unless you are afraid to "lose" yourself and your phone, this is still a safer, simpler, solution and does not consume your data plan.

There is absolutely no new industry or product with the cloud, other than the value of your data to others. Just a bunch of middlemen who capitalize on people's laziness and lack of understanding of what the cloud actually is and what it does with your data.
    The sdcard is small enough to put in in your wallet and you can use it "whenever and wherever" you are.

Lastly, synching to the cloud of backing up your data all the time is the most energy inefficient way to store your data and the most efficient way to contribute to global warming.

Wireless communication is the most energy inefficient compared to wired communication.
    Compared to just storing data to your sdcard, you are now adding energy inefficient communication to that process.
    Burning more battery power and increasing your data plan consumption, losing the ownership and security of your data. All those come with cloud storage.
    I'm the kind of guy who's paranoid about my home when I'm not there. So if I'm gone for more than a few days, I have everything shut down and unplugged from sockets except for the fridge. So then, what's my solution for backing up on the go in case something happens to the physical devices? That's right, a cloud. I also have contacts that don't want to download everything we work on, plus friends and family that dont want every photo I take, so sending those mentioned everything would add a little strain to some relationships. I fully support your position but your solution is impractical for my needs. And because I'm not alone in thinking this, we witness the explosion of vendors with cloud storage. There's even one who takes money to set up your own storage to be your cloud, because why not.

You may have 35 years of computer experience,and can remember times when 4MB drives were the size of 55-gallon drums, but not everyone is an expert. Personally I came from a era where we stuck things in drives and told them to execute. I grew up watching my sister burst into tears when she messed up her punch cards, but time has marched on.
    06-21-15 10:23 PM
    How to set up ftp?

STL 100-1 | 10.3.1.1779
    There are several apps in the BlackBerry world that have sftp and ftp. You can also use ghostcommander, also in the BlackBerry world.
    06-21-15 11:23 PM
    I'm the kind of guy who's paranoid about my home when I'm not there. So if I'm gone for more than a few days, I have everything shut down and unplugged from sockets except for the fridge. So then, what's my solution for backing up on the go in case something happens to the physical devices? That's right, a cloud. I also have contacts that don't want to download everything we work on, plus friends and family that dont want every photo I take, so sending those mentioned everything would add a little strain to some relationships. I fully support your position but your solution is impractical for my needs. And because I'm not alone in thinking this, we witness the explosion of vendors with cloud storage. There's even one who takes money to set up your own storage to be your cloud, because why not.

You may have 35 years of computer experience,and can remember times when 4MB drives were the size of 55-gallon drums, but not everyone is an expert. Personally I came from a era where we stuck things in drives and told them to execute. I grew up watching my sister burst into tears when she messed up her punch cards, but time has marched on.
    Sure, but even if you unplug your house you can still carry the cloud in your pocket and back up. More than 100 (one hundred) 128gbyte SDCARDS fit in your pocket...They are not heavy...
    You can use the cloud...but you still kill the environment 10-100 times faster than if you did not sync up wirelessly.
    Also, backing up to an SDCARD is MUCH faster than wirelessly backing up to a cloud.
    Last edited by sorinv; 06-21-15 at 11:39 PM.
    06-21-15 11:28 PM

Convenience beats paranoia.
    06-21-15 11:44 PM
    Sure, but even if you unplug your house you can still carry the cloud in your pocket and back up. More than 100 (one hundred) 128gbyte SDCARDS fit in your pocket...They are not heavy...
    You can use the cloud...but you still kill the environment 10-100 times faster than if you did not sync up wirelessly.
    Also, backing up to an SDCARD is MUCH faster than wirelessly backing up to a cloud.
    I do both. Never know when your daughter will push you off a pier after you get some great photos.
    sam81 likes this.
    06-22-15 02:59 AM
28 12