I really appreciate the effort that developers have put in to create clients for Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, etc. But I still want official apps, it's just not satisfying. The icons or the name of the clients, just doesn't feel right.

Also, what happens when official apps drop? Would BlackBerry still allow these apps in the store? Do you guys remember OpenWhatsApp? The developer was shot down by BlackBerry as soon official app came.

I don't know how realistic it is but, wouldn't it be better if these developers contacted their respected App. company and offered to work together to build the native app. I mean, iGram is very close to official Instagram on android with added features and interms of layout, if Instagram and the developer work together to make it into an official app, as the basic coding is done, wouldn't it be much better?

This is no way to discourage developers, I love their work and I am using iGran, Snap2Chat at the moment but that satisfaction of official icon and name just doesn't come to my OCD maybe.

What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 08:44 PM
    Since I was involved in OpenWhatsapp story i am open to discussing this.

Official app names and icons cannot be used. That's the rule and it cannot change.

Often 3rd party apps provide more than official builds. Those might never be built anyways.

How will it end, nobody knows. That is the risk we all take.
    Hopefully this answers it for you.

Feel free to discuss this further.
    02-02-14 03:22 AM
    I don't care if the name and icon are the official ones as the app functionality is what counts – nothing else. Also, 3rd party devs usually invest much more effort into development and care about user feedback, which the companies seldomly do
    And if official apps arrive: it makes no difference as 3rd party apps will likely continue to work (except if something like OpenWhatsApp happens, even though I'm not completely sure I got the history right on this one). Usually 3rd party apps get way better by the time the official ones arrive. Sometimes 3rd party app devs even get asked to work on official app and kind of "rebrand" their original work!
    02-02-14 03:30 AM
    This is what we all hope for, for a re-brand and sanction into an official app.
    i know for sure that's how most of spin offs on Windows Phone have been sanctioned.

It's up to BlackBerry to negotiate a deal if all 3 parties are interested.

As for OpenWhatsapp outcome, it got complicated.
    02-02-14 03:33 AM
    3rd Party Devs brings more features than official one. That's the real common truth

If Snapchat buys me. Sure why not

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:33 AM
    Best example is Blaq for twitter

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:35 AM
    Blaq is different because Twitter provides a public API.
    What we use as black ops developers is not public. Mostly.
    02-02-14 03:37 AM
    Ahh, ok did not know. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:38 AM
    Windows Phone
    Didn't want to mention our worst competitor but that's exactly what I was referring to
    Wish you all luck to get approved as official app – and on a personal note, hurry on Monday to release Whine :P
    02-02-14 03:40 AM
    You have to take into account the fact that the "official " company wants to control the user experience, content, and presentation of the application. I created an eeba client and BlackBerry wouldn't publish it without eeba's permission, so I emailed them to ask and was quickly shot down. I doubt any major company would just let some independent dev determine their image to an entire platform of smart phone users.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:40 AM
    You have to take into account the fact that the "official " company wants to control the user experience, content, and presentation of the application. I created an eeba client and BlackBerry wouldn't publish it without eeba's permission, so I emailed them to ask and was quickly shot down. I doubt any major company would just let some independent dev determine their image to an entire platform of smart phone users.
    If it's branded as being their official app I can understand that but if it's clearly visible that it's a 3rd party app I can't. Still, happens way too often
    02-02-14 03:44 AM
    When was this?
    Times have changed due to desperation factor.
    Especially if developer takes all the responsibility for the release.
    i noticed when i uploaded few first versions of Whine ti Sandbox, it took ages to update.
    Not it takes less than an hour.
    Also noticed some internals reference the app and i don't even know them.
    BlackBerry knows and observes it all.
    With that said, each case is different.
    02-02-14 03:45 AM
    About two months ago....the name of the app had the word "unofficial" so it was really damn obvious. I resubmitted like 8 times before finally giving up.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:53 AM
    Surely you can re-brand and try again.
    Just look at the pioneers like Blackgram or iGrann.
    Like i said, times have changed.
    02-02-14 03:55 AM
    I had posted a thread about it at the time http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=868807

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 03:55 AM
    Surely you can re-brand and try again.
    Just look at the pioneers like Blackgram or iGrann.
    Like i said, times have changed.
    Funny you should mention that as I was already in the process of doing so and resubmitted tonight

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 04:09 AM
    Just make sure you don't use the same name or icon and don't offer something for free that EEBA offers after payment.
    Keep us posted.
    02-02-14 04:12 AM
    Blaq is different because Twitter provides a public API.
    What we use as black ops developers is not public. Mostly.
    Absolutely hahaha! But I wish BlackBerry world will approve our apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 05:37 AM
    Lol I like that one "black ops developers".

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    02-02-14 08:04 AM
    Absolutely hahaha! But I wish BlackBerry world will approve our apps.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see why not. They approved iGrann.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 via CB10
    02-02-14 08:25 AM
    Didn't want to mention our worst competitor but that's exactly what I was referring to
    Wish you all luck to get approved as official app – and on a personal note, hurry on Monday to release Whine :P
    Why would Windows Phone be your "worst competitor"?

Up until the end of last year Windows Phone was in exactly the same position app wise that BB10 is in now.
    02-02-14 10:04 AM
    Why would Windows Phone be your "worst competitor"?

Up until the end of last year Windows Phone was in exactly the same position app wise that BB10 is in now.
    You answered your question: WP and BB are currently quite equal (even though by now unfortunately more companies are targeting WP), so unless BB10 has a way bigger market share than WP, they are their worst competitors
    neo158 likes this.
    02-02-14 01:13 PM
    You answered your question: WP and BB are currently quite equal (even though by now unfortunately more companies are targeting WP), so unless BB10 has a way bigger market share than WP, they are their worst competitors
    That I can agree on, I really want BB10 to gain market share and I'm not even a BlackBerry user. The Z10 was one of the phones I looked at when I was replacing my Galaxy Nexus and it was close between the Windows Phone I have and the Z10.
    02-03-14 03:34 PM
    There are numerous reasons why few companies would work with an outside developer to sanction an unofficial app into an official one. First, there is the issue of control. Second, there's no way for a developer to take responsibility for an app that does not work or is insecure or whatever, if it has the name of the company or the product on it. They would rather limit their users to their chosen platforms rather than have something with their name on it that they have no control over.

There are some more laid-back companies like Leo Laporte's TWIT (twit.tv) that have sanctioned a free and paid app that a user developed to view and download their content.
    02-03-14 03:49 PM
    Dude, BlackBerry World reviewers are so frustrating.

From bb :
    "

Dear BlackBerry World Vendor,

While processing your application release '1.0' from your product 'In The Black - Budgeting via Virtual Envelopes' (ticket 1274984), for inclusion into BlackBerry App World I encountered the following issue(s) that require your attention before we are able to continue.

Please fix the following issue(s) and resubmit your application as a new release.

- I am testing your app on the BlackBerry Q10 and BlackBerry Q5. When I open your application I can?t scroll down to the login column. Either fix the scaling issue and makes your application fit properly on the screen or please add the ?scroll down? feature inside your application.

- When I open your application on the BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Q10 and BlackBerry Q5 then select ?new? it?s showing ?unknown network error?. Please make sure all the function on the button work properly.

Once these issue(s) have been corrected I will be able to complete the necessary steps that will allow this application to be posted in BlackBerry App World.

If at any time you have questions regarding the above issue(s) please don?t hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or visit http://developer.blackberry.com/forums for technical support"

My response
    "1.� I didn't indicate that the device supported the q10 or q5. I only selected the z10, p9982, and z30. So you shouldn't be denying it for not working on devices I didn't intend for the app to work on.
    2. When I click "new" it loads perfectly fine. Are you sure you didn't have a network connectivity issue? I tried on my Z10 and dev alpha b and everything loaded fine on both devices."

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 03:02 AM
30 12