As we patiently await the launch of the Q10, this strikes me as an opportune time to give voice to a concern I raised some time ago -- the need for a Cisco Jabber (VOIP) app on BB10.

Granted, there is a fully integrated solution available via MVS that provides far greater functionality for those with that level of back-end BB support. However, the BYOD market has (at least in the case of my firm) eroded the install base to a point where we won't have that option. Thus, our choices are: (1) iOS/Android with Jabber support; or (2) BB10 with no Jabber support. For those who wish to get down to a single device with a personal # and accessibility to a work # on that single mobile device, we're actually being pushed OUT of the BB environment by the unification of Jabber & MVS on the BB platform.

Appreciating that the MVS/Cisco integration provides for a better user experience, there are likely plenty of us who wish to remain BB users and take advantage of the unified calling options provided for free (and supported by local IT) on iOS and Android. Thus, it would be greatly appreciated if Cisco & BBRY could see fit to release a Jabber VOIP app on BB10 that can run independent of an MVS install.
    03-29-13 11:24 AM
    From the BB10/BES10 FAQ:

While BlackBerry 10 supports Android consumer apps that have been repackaged by their developers for use with the BlackBerry Runtime for Android, Android apps are not supported within the Work Space (corporate perimeter) on BlackBerry 10 (this includes any applications managed by BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 and BlackBerry World for Work). This means that ported Android apps cannot access corporate data and enterprise connectivity options.
    Without MVS, it would seem that both Cisco Jabber and something like Junos Pulse (for VPN certificates) would have to be ported from Android and run in the Personal space on a work device running on BES10 with BlackBerry Balance. Whether IT admins would allow certificates to be issued in this context isn't clear (maybe I'm way off on this -- any IT admins have a different workaround in mind?), but it seems like a far less secure workaround than native BB10 apps from Junos and Cisco would be running in the Work space.

Betting that enterprise IT buyers will pay extra for MVS when many have moved to different BYOD environments more complimentary to iOS and Android is a mistake. Blackberry and Cisco should release a BB10 Jabber VOIP app as soon as possible to coincide with the Q10 launch. Being able to ditch a personal plan at $x/month in favor of a personal phone number on a corporate-paid plan where I can keep that number private by using Jabber to make/receive calls on my work number is a significant decision point -- one which, for now, tilts against getting a Q10.
    04-21-13 11:05 AM
    Does anyone know whether Cisco jabber app and Cisco anyconnect are coming to BB10? Is there a roadmap on this?

I would hate to my company move to iOS/android because of this!
    08-08-13 11:16 AM
    They are supposed to come to BB10, last I heard it was still being worked on.
    08-08-13 01:17 PM
    i don't understand why they don't make an official announcement whether its coming or not so IT departments can plan ahead.
    08-09-13 09:03 AM
    Has anyone tried installing the Jabber for Android .apk file on 10.2.1? I tried myself and it opens, I can enter registration info, it looks like it gets the TFTP config file, but then it fails and closes when it tries to register to the Cisco phone system. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this.
    BTW, even though it runs in the Personal space, if you have a VPN profile on your BB10 device and your BES administrator sets the knob for "Allow Personal applications to use Work network connections" to On, you should be able to register Jabber for Android via corporately pushed Wi-Fi or VPN profiles.
    01-20-14 03:21 PM