Hi,

Have recently taken delivery of a Blackberry Q5 and for the life of me I can't find an APP or Gesture to "Lock the Phone" !

Having used BB keyboards for the last four years or so (and a Playbook) I'm comfortable with either holding a key on the keyboard ('A' on my Curve) or using a Screen Swipe and Tap (on my Playbook).

I DO NOT want now to have to hold the top button down AND then press the Lock icon NOR do I want to set the auto lock time setting to an unhelpfully low (for me) value such as 30 seconds.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ? There seems to be lots of people who are also unhappy about this 'missing' functionality, surely there's an API that allows the pressing of a screen icon / screen swipe to Lock the phone ???

Thanks for any Advice
    Last edited by ClearBlueSkies; 01-17-14 at 09:59 AM.
    01-17-14 09:33 AM
    I don't believe that the API's required for a developer to create an app that will lock (or unlock) the device are available.

However, you might try this. Go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Device Password. Scroll down and set "Lock Device After" to your preference -- 1 minute, for example. Then, with a simple tap in the power/standby button will go to black, and become locked after that 1 minute.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I believe it's the closest option at the moment.
    01-17-14 10:37 AM
    Hi,

Have recently taken delivery of a Blackberry Q5 and for the life of me I can't find an APP or Gesture to "Lock the Phone" !

Having used BB keyboards for the last four years or so (and a Playbook) I'm comfortable with either holding a key on the keyboard ('A' on my Curve) or using a Screen Swipe and Tap (on my Playbook).

I DO NOT want now to have to hold the top button down AND then press the Lock icon NOR do I want to set the auto lock time setting to an unhelpfully low (for me) value such as 30 seconds.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ? There seems to be lots of people who are also unhappy about this 'missing' functionality, surely there's an API that allows the pressing of a screen icon / screen swipe to Lock the phone ???

Thanks for any Advice
    Off topic: May I ask where your avatar image is taken? Dolomites, Alps?
    01-17-14 05:26 PM
    I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I believe it's the closest option at the moment.
    Hmmm ... thanks for that though yeah it isn't really what I'm after.

You must be right to say that there's no such API available as otherwise there'd be lots of APPS to pick and choose from [and buy] ... ho hum ... I'll just have to get used to locking the phone a different way now

Perhaps it'll get included in future versions of the O.S. ?
    01-18-14 10:34 AM
    Off topic: May I ask where your avatar image is taken? Dolomites, Alps?
    To be honest with you I don't know ... It was an image I acquired some years ago but not from any picture I had taken with a camera !

I imagine it could be of the Dolomites, there's a VERY similar picture here [towards the bottom] : Dolomites, Sep 2013 – SOLD OUT | PODAS Photography Workshops
    FF22 likes this.
    01-18-14 10:49 AM
    To be honest with you I don't know ... It was an image I acquired some years ago but not from any picture I had taken with a camera !

I imagine it could be of the Dolomites, there's a VERY similar picture here [towards the bottom] : Dolomites, Sep 2013 – SOLD OUT | PODAS Photography Workshops
    It does look very similar and reminds me of the scenes I've seen over there.
    01-18-14 12:05 PM
    To lock your phone press the power button for around 3 seconds, then tap "Lock", the middle option appearing on the screen.

There's no need for an app or anything.

Edit: whoops, just read your post through, now I look dumb -_-. But why don't you like the given option? I think it's okay to do it like that?
    01-18-14 12:25 PM
    But why don't you like the given option? I think it's okay to do it like that?
    Yeah sure there's nothing wrong with the 'new' method as such ... however to me it's almost like taking a step backwards in terms of ease-of-use ... whereas before all I had to do was either 1) press and hold 'A' for approx. half a second or 2) select the 'Password Lock' icon ... now it's a two step process and not as effortless as it was.

Of course for those people who've always used the top button to lock / unlock it would seem as though I'm trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Blackberry's and have been for some time, just wish they hadn't of left out these alternative methods of locking / unlocking !!!
    Last edited by ClearBlueSkies; 01-18-14 at 01:09 PM.
    01-18-14 12:55 PM
    Yeah, I get what you mean. Someone with better connections should ask why so many keyboard shortcuts are missing in BlackBerry 10. My guess would be that it's because the Z10 and other full touchscreen phones can't use them, they didn't bother to put them in and instead developed a way that works on all BlackBerry 10 phones.
    Maybe they can put it in again with a later update for the keyboard based versions again.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 03:07 PM
    just press and hold "K" it will lock your phone automatically.
    09-01-15 07:05 AM
    @jhajha - nice!
    09-02-15 02:42 AM