I check out apps very frequently and constantly see complaints about permissions i.e Runtastic Pro
    BlackBerry users must not be used to Apps-img_20131233.png

People are writing bad reviews for an app that actually works, because they don't understand permissions. If you haven't even opened the app how can you tell how these apps use these permissions. Not every app is about to run away with your info and store it in on servers. You're not going to get granular Windows security permissions on a cell phone. Between the forums and app reviews BlackBerry users have really lost it lol. End rant.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-19-13 01:27 AM
    And you are under the impression that this behavior is somehow specific to BlackBerry? Been my experience that when it comes to apps of any flavor the general emotional maturity of the majority of folks I get to observe hovers at around the 13 year old median.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 01:50 AM
    I think a lot of people are also really annoyed that it's only actually a 14 day trial and not really actually free.
    Although when I found that out, all I did was delete the app

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    FF22 and imcurved like this.
    12-19-13 02:04 AM
    I think a lot of people are also really annoyed that it's only actually a 14 day trial and not really actually free.
    Although when I found that out, all I did was delete the app

I agree with you. This application provides only 14 days free trial to use and it's not free all time.I haven't check for charges after 14 days free trial . Anyone knows charges after free trial period.?
    12-19-13 02:57 AM
    The app wouldn't even open on install for me. It deserves the 1 star review.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-19-13 03:00 AM
    There's all of that, AND it is an Android port.

I don't want Android ports...I only have four Android ports out of the 50-odd apps on my phone. They're clunky and don't look nice. I know it isn't just my Z10 because they're the same on my fiancée's S4.

I really, REALLY, like the look and feel of Qt and Cascades apps. Hell, I would rather have a fully C+ app (Like AccessToGo) than an Android one, even though it doesn't have that BB10 feel to it.

I just don't care for a 14 day trial of an Android-ported app that is temperamental, doesn't look nice, and isn't a headless app for running...

I would have preferred a headless pedometer app with step count when you used the Peek function, or had a section in the Quick Settings menu. (I know these aren't all possible now with the OS, but I would prefer this nonetheless!)

Anyway, that's MY 2 cents...
    OWCA83 likes this.
    12-19-13 03:09 AM
    I agree with you. This application provides only 14 days free trial to use and it's not free all time.I haven't check for charges after 14 days free trial . Anyone knows charges after free trial period.?
    After the 14 days you could have opted to go for a normal month to month subscription or go for the actual gold pro which gave you full services for the year at 50%

I get that it's a subscription app, but had they given a years free subs, there would have been more possibility of people opting to buy the subscription after using using the app for that amount of time.
    Or even if they felt they would loose 2 much revenue from a full year at least 6 months.
    All that 2 week trial did was **** people off

12-19-13 03:20 AM
    There's all of that, AND it is an Android port.

I don't want Android ports...I only have four Android ports out of the 50-odd apps on my phone. They're clunky and don't look nice. I know it isn't just my Z10 because they're the same on my fiancée's S4.

I really, REALLY, like the look and feel of Qt and Cascades apps. Hell, I would rather have a fully C+ app (Like AccessToGo) than an Android one, even though it doesn't have that BB10 feel to it.

I just don't care for a 14 day trial of an Android-ported app that is temperamental, doesn't look nice, and isn't a headless app for running...

I would have preferred a headless pedometer app with step count when you used the Peek function, or had a section in the Quick Settings menu. (I know these aren't all possible now with the OS, but I would prefer this nonetheless!)

Anyway, that's MY 2 cents...
    Technically all BlackBerry business minded people do exercise daily as part of their routine.
    It might not be a bad idea for BlackBerry to bake something simple like that into OS or release their own app a la BlackBerry Express. Let it measure time, distance. And speed, Easy enough to link it to gps location services and swiping it up to an active frame will show distance and time

+1000000000 on the Android ports. Native beats ports evrrytime

12-19-13 03:23 AM
    Technically all BlackBerry business minded people do exercise daily as part of their routine.
    It might not be a bad idea for BlackBerry to bake something simple like that into OS or release their own app a la BlackBerry Express. Let it measure time, distance. And speed, Easy enough to link it to gps location services and swiping it up to an active frame will show distance and time

+1000000000 on the Android ports. Native beats ports evrrytime

Exactly...they should just bake an exercise app into the OS. A decent one, like the Weather app...just one with headless and OS integration.

I really, REALLY want a pedometer on my phone because a GPS based one is worthless when I'm doing all that running in the gym.

BlackBerry...YOU HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! DO EEET!
    12-19-13 04:04 AM
    I check out apps very frequently and constantly see complaints about permissions i.e Runtastic Pro
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131233.png 
Views:	786 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	231428

People are writing bad reviews for an app that actually works, because they don't understand permissions. If you haven't even opened the app how can you tell how these apps use these permissions. Not every app is about to run away with your info and store it in on servers. You're not going to get granular Windows security permissions on a cell phone. Between the forums and app reviews BlackBerry users have really lost it lol. End rant.

Posted via CB10
    You may be right but the earlier BB OS's, OS7 and earlier there was very specific and precise Permissions. But one has to wonder why some of these apps need the permissions they request. And then once granted, how do you propose to track what they are actually downloading? Maybe they are not downloading my budget spreadsheet or my payroll info but maybe they are - they have broad permission to grab anything and use the internet to ship it off to Nigeria! (g)

I know most apps that have any kind of file support need access to files, both to read and write. If you want to share the info, they will need access to the internet or data transmission. I think it is healthy to occasionally question why/what they apps REQUIRE. Everyone has to make a decision about whether it is worth it. I guess this one has rubbed folks the wrong way since it asks for all kinds of info and then they find out it is only "free" for two weeks. Suddenly, this PLACE has all my info and I don't get to use the app after 2 weeks!
    12-19-13 09:23 AM
    Permissions are OK, and needed in most cases. I don't understand the crybabies who bash apps just because they don't "like" that the app ask for certain permissions..

That being said- I also think that most developers need to show more love in their app Description in BBWorld. It won't take them that long time to include more detailed info.. Permissions is one thing, another is the "free" apps which is not really free but only a limited time freemium - and apps with in-app purchases. ALL in-app purchases should be explained in the Detailed app description- so that a user can know If any purchase is needed- or if the app can be used and enjoyed free.

BlackBerry now require developers to add a "Privacy Policy" webpage to their dev accounts (for B4B apps), which is to include all needed policies about all the developers apps,.. This policy is available from within BBWorld... tap the "more" button and you should find it there. This would be a perfect place to force developers to include ALL important info - and not only force this Policy to be used for Built4BlackBerry apps.

A very good example of how a good Privacy Policy can be, search up "Magic4Square" in your BBWorld on your device, tap "more" button and launch the "Privacy Policy". The developer there clearly informs about all data collected, what it is used for etc... I wish all developers could do similar.

So the system to handle this info is already in place from BlackBerry and BBWorld
    Last edited by Morten; 12-19-13 at 10:20 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-19-13 09:52 AM
    I think people forget that native apps ask for the same permissions.
    Yes we can choose which ones to grant with native and it's all or nothing with android, but if we don't grant a permission, the app doesn't work properly.
    So there's really no difference anyways.
    12-19-13 10:12 AM
    I think people forget that native apps ask for the same permissions.
    Yes we can choose which ones to grant with native and it's all or nothing with android, but if we don't grant a permission, the app doesn't work properly.
    So there's really no difference anyways.
    True- but with native BB10 apps you have more user control to enable/disable individual permissions,... with Android you either allow the app with all permissions it wants, or don't :-)
    12-19-13 10:36 AM
    True- but with native BB10 apps you have more user control to enable/disable individual permissions,... with Android you either allow the app with all permissions it wants, or don't :-)
    I pointed this out.
    I also pointed out that without those permissions, the app can not function as intended.
    They ask for them for a reason.
    12-19-13 11:45 AM
    The OP suggest that Apple or Android are the originators of apps. They are not.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:13 PM
    I pointed this out.
    I also pointed out that without those permissions, the app can not function as intended.
    They ask for them for a reason.
    Yes- but it IS possible for the developers to handle most of it...
    BBM "integration" f.ex - most apps still works without it (unless BBM is a in-app feature of course)
    -and disabling access to "shared files" apps can still function - but perhaps not be able to read/write files...
    (some developers take these things into consideration and allows apps to work, but with reduced functionality from the lack of permissions)

most of the time though - of course the app request permissions for a reason :-)
    12-19-13 12:19 PM
    Yes- but it IS possible for the developers to handle most of it...
    BBM "integration" f.ex - most apps still works without it (unless BBM is a in-app feature of course)
    -and disabling access to "shared files" apps can still function - but perhaps not be able to read/write files...
    (some developers take these things into consideration and allows apps to work, but with reduced functionality from the lack of permissions)

most of the time though - of course the app request permissions for a reason :-)
    So you get my point.
    The app will not properly function (meaning all intended features) without the permissions.
    Thanks for reinforcing what I've already said.
    12-19-13 12:23 PM
    Thanks for reinforcing what I've already said.

of course - it's Christmas after all... :-)
    stabstabdie likes this.
    12-19-13 12:32 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131233.png 
Views:	786 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	231428

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you aren't use to apps..

Since this stupid NSA stuff people on google play and apple's app store are all complaining about permissions.

Do research first instead of being snarky
    Google is there for a reason :P

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 12:36 PM
    of course - it's Christmas after all... :-)
    Ahhh the old kill em with kindness move!!
    There's no combo breaker for that!!
    12-19-13 01:39 PM