Most of them, if not all, tie into Google services somehow. So, if they were to arrive on the platform officially, they'd either have to be modified versions of the Android app, or native. Having said that, BB10 is just too small for Google to consider such a thing right now.

Unofficially though, at least one already works - Google Maps. You can't login for any of the sync features, but the maps themselves work.
    You CAN login into Google Maps and you can see the starred places in Google Maps.
    08-17-14 05:12 AM
    Because I love BlackBerry! but BlackBerry doesn't have any alternate apps as effective as Google apps!!!

Posted via CB10
    Buy an Android tablet and get the best of both worlds.

Posted from a D618
    08-17-14 06:03 AM
    The point is, that Blackberry doesn't want Google apps on their devices because the business model is based on selling apps from Blackberry World and not from a third party vendor. At least not one it has no cooperation with as with Google.
    I'm no longer sure of that based on the deal with Amazon.
    08-17-14 09:12 AM
    BlackBerry, please listen and understand the requirement of bringing Google apps to BlackBerry 10 OS!!! It's really causing a big gap in customer base!!!

Posted via CB10
    I think its hilarious that BlackBerry users always have something bad to say about the Android OS but want to use their apps. BlackBerry needs to get their own native apps not mooch off of Android to fill their app gap. I am surprised that Google hasn't sued them for using their apps. Last time I checked Google did not agree for them to use their apps. With that in mind they will never allow BlackBerry to have access to Google Play services.
    dbmalloy likes this.
    08-17-14 09:30 AM
    You CAN login into Google Maps and you can see the starred places in Google Maps.
    Oh, my mistake, that's good to hear.

I think its hilarious that BlackBerry users always have something bad to say about the Android OS but want to use their apps. BlackBerry needs to get their own native apps not mooch off of Android to fill their app gap. I am surprised that Google hasn't sued them for using their apps. Last time I checked Google did not agree for them to use their apps. With that in mind they will never allow BlackBerry to have access to Google Play services.
    BlackBerry isn't officially using any Google apps, that lawsuit would be laughed straight out of court. The Android runtime is based on the Android Open-Source Project, which anyone is free to use. The runtime can theoretically run some Google apps, yes, but BlackBerry can't be held legally responsible for what users use the runtime for. So long as BlackBerry doesn't preload the apps or offer them for download, they've done nothing wrong whatsoever.

And as far as the native apps argument, this has been discussed time and time again - without a solid userbase or a ton of money to throw at them, BlackBerry can't get native apps onto the platform. Without apps, they can't get a solid userbase. Hence the Android runtime, and a partner like Amazon, is necessary to help alleviate the issue. In the long-term, if this strategy works and they get more users onto BB10, then BlackBerry can start worrying about native apps. But right now, they're simply not an option.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    08-17-14 01:08 PM
    I think there are more than compatibility concerns to get Google Play on a particular hardware. I believe the hardware manufacturer has to place certain Google apps on certain screens and is also required to include certain apps in the manufacturers default configuration. That's why most hardware makers do not develop (and use) their own apps and app stores. And perhaps that's why BB doesn't try or want to get into the "open" alliance.
    08-17-14 02:42 PM

BlackBerry isn't officially using any Google apps, that lawsuit would be laughed straight out of court. The Android runtime is based on the Android Open-Source Project, which anyone is free to use. The runtime can theoretically run some Google apps, yes, but BlackBerry can't be held legally responsible for what users use the runtime for. So long as BlackBerry doesn't preload the apps or offer them for download, they've done nothing wrong whatsoever.

And as far as the native apps argument, this has been discussed time and time again - without a solid userbase or a ton of money to throw at them, BlackBerry can't get native apps onto the platform. Without apps, they can't get a solid userbase. Hence the Android runtime, and a partner like Amazon, is necessary to help alleviate the issue. In the long-term, if this strategy works and they get more users onto BB10, then BlackBerry can start worrying about native apps. But right now, they're simply not an option.
    Um... You know what you are talking about, right? The BlackBerry World has Android apps in there. Skype is an Android port which is preloaded. If you can run Android (In any way, shape or form) you can use Android applications. If iOS was able to use Android apps, they can. Google can't sue anything due to their own rules. They can just say if a certain app gets priority instead of a Google default application

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 03:45 PM
    Um... You know what you are talking about, right? The BlackBerry World has Android apps in there. Skype is an Android port which is preloaded. If you can run Android (In any way, shape or form) you can use Android applications. If iOS was able to use Android apps, they can. Google can't sue anything due to their own rules. They can just say if a certain app gets priority instead of a Google default application

Posted via CB10
    Uh... that's exactly what I was saying. Not sure what you're getting at.
    08-17-14 04:05 PM
    Skype preloaded? I haven't seen any Android port ever preloaded. It will change with 10.3 though.
    08-17-14 04:06 PM
    How do you do that?

Posted Via CB10 using my new Z30
    08-17-14 04:12 PM

Well without the access to Google services you wont be able to use most of the apps anyway. The Amazon app store is a absolute joke compared to Google Play and Google would never let BlackBerry have access to Google Play.

From the 2nd quarter of 2013 to the 2nd quarter of 2014 BlackBerry's sales went down 78%. I hope BlackBerry remains in business but they are done in the consumer market.
    08-17-14 04:21 PM
    Uh... that's exactly what I was saying. Not sure what you're getting at.
    What you said was that BlackBerry does not preload any Android applications

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 05:07 PM
    Skype preloaded? I haven't seen any Android port ever preloaded. It will change with 10.3 though.
    Well... you do release there is no Native Skype app, right? it's ported from Android

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 05:08 PM
    What you said was that BlackBerry does not preload any Android applications

Posted via CB10
    No, what I said was that BlackBerry does not preload any Google applications. Although to my knowledge, they don't preload Android applications at the moment either (this could be carrier-dependent), but if they had permission from the developer (like they will with Amazon), they could indeed do so.
    08-17-14 05:10 PM
    I did not mean to insult anyone. The point is, that Blackberry doesn't want Google apps on their devices because the business model is based on selling apps from Blackberry World and not from a third party vendor. At least not one it has no cooperation with as with Google.
    If that were true, you wouldn't be able to install APKs from a third party source like Amazon or 1Market or - any other Android App store except Google Play.

Also, BlackBerry's business model is on selling - services; software; and hardware. Apps are a "gotta do in order to sell the others" thing, not a profit generator.
    08-17-14 09:58 PM
    Well... you do release there is no Native Skype app, right? it's ported from Android

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I do realise. The thing is I haven't seen it preloaded on any of the updates. To me, the Amazon store will be the first Android app to come preloaded. Unless I missed something somewhere along the way.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    08-18-14 03:33 AM
    Yeah, I do realise. The thing is I haven't seen it preloaded on any of the updates. To me, the Amazon store will be the first Android app to come preloaded. Unless I missed something somewhere along the way.
    It's been there for me every update I've used

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 08:37 AM
    Okay, perhaps I deleted the app on day one a long long time ago and the OS remembered it and didn't put the app on my phone with the updates.

I only remember I went crazy on the phone and had to put it in the charger 3 times that day
    08-18-14 01:27 PM
    Okay, perhaps I deleted the app on day one a long long time ago and the OS remembered it and didn't put the app on my phone with the updates.

I only remember I went crazy on the phone and had to put it in the charger 3 times that day
    Well I used to upgrade my phone via Autoloaders because I'm in the UK and they come out faster in other places. So a OTA upgrade probably doesn't bring it back since it only adds or replaces files with newer versions

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 03:09 PM
    Yeah, only OTA for me.
    08-19-14 01:35 PM
70 123