Before anyone starts hating, I just want to make this clear...i absolutely love BlackBerry. I've owned a BlackBerry for almost 10 years. This is my 5th one and I love it (Z10). The quality of this phone is second to none as it's a well built machine. Wouldn't trade it for a different set of hardware! BUT...

My quarrel is with RIM or BlackBerry. This isn't anything any other forum probably doesn't have...but today for the first time, my mind start thinking about whether I'd be happier on another platform because of the wealth and quality of apps. Why are BlackBerry users missing out on so many apps like news, social media, you tube, etc? When I look at Apple, there's virtually an app for everything...literally. Users demand ease and friendliness in being able to access

I've never been a big guy on apps. Actually, that's one of the main reasons I never chose Android or iPhone because I kept saying "who the hell needs all those apps?". And truth is, I still don't need a lot of those. But would it be nice to have the option of being able to download it if we ever wanted to and have it run smoothly? Of course we would! Why the heck should we have to side load apps and have them run laggy on our phone? I know a lot of users (me included) don't really mind loading these apps...but why should BlackBerry users have to resort to methods like that just to get big name apps? Moreover, why do we need to settle for less than optimal performance by these side loaded apps?

There may be tons of apps on BlackBerry World, but there are such few big name apps (no offence to any developers). Social media is huge. I don't care who you are or if you don't even use apps like Facebook or instagram, fact of the matter is, the majority of the world does...moreover, the fact that many big name apps are globally so popular makes it necessary to have the option for users to be able to download and utilise such apps if desired. So why are BlackBerry users being shafted on these apps and having to resort to having to convert other platform apps to have then run less than optimally on their devices? Why must we settle for inferior quality when these devices deserve so much better?

In short: Despite all the progress that RIM is making and has had, I believe the BlackBerry nation deserves more from RIM, especially by now . This is especially true for all of the new users who have jumped ship from different brands (so we don't lose them back to the competition). But even more, the many loyal and faithful BlackBerry users like myself who have stuck by RIM (and despite this essay, probably always will even if the ship ever sinks despite thoughts of grabbing a life vest - in this case, a different platform). Thus, I sincerely hope BlackBerry users can be rewarded with much more? Why? Because we deserve it!

Posted via CB10
    E-FlowElLobo likes this.
    06-21-13 12:52 AM
    The developer of a platform that relies on 3rd parties to build compatible applications is not in sole control of which developers decide to develop those applications.

Blackberry has probably the best developer-relations policies in the smartphone industry right now, but there is only so much you can do to entice people to develop for a platform that only has 1/10th the userbase that the largest platforms have.

It's a chicken or egg problem. Lots of developers won't stick their neck out until the platform has lots of users, and lots of users won't use the platform until they see lots of applications.

Even if you have lots of extra billions of dollars to bribe people to develop for your platform, that is no guarantee that people actually will. (See: Microsoft Phone OS)
    06-21-13 01:47 AM
    Somebody give this man a cookie! lmao.

Well said bro, well said.
    ParmarMania likes this.
    06-21-13 01:50 AM
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with the subject of gaming, but the Wii U is in a comparable situation:

People are not buying the console because there are too few games for it / developers don't build games for the console because there aren't enough console users etc.

I'm not sure what can change that, apart from PR and letting some time pass..

Posted via Z10
    06-21-13 01:55 AM