Are they as good as Google maps or should I sideload Google maps?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 02:01 PM
    depends what you want. It works fine for me.
    06-21-13 02:06 PM
    First real use of map apps for me today. I put in address on BlackBerry map and waze map. BlackBerry map had the address visually but not guide able, it told me to go to another nearest address (couple of houses down) even though I could see the road. Waze was no trouble at all.

Posted via Z10
    06-21-13 11:32 PM
    It may be a little feature limited for some people, but it works just fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:53 AM
    If you need navigation, side loading failed for me. I only use Google Maps now if BlackBerry Maps can't find the address of the business in looking for.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    06-22-13 02:07 AM
    Google maps navigation works great, but you have to sideload the three components (maps, local and navigation) separately as described in this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=819130

It solves the issue of navigation always returning to the local start screen whenever you swipe away from it.

That being said, I find blackberry maps to be an excellent in car gps replacement. The fact that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles actually makes it more streamlined and safer for a driver.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 10:42 AM
    Side load of google maps isn't quite ready for prime time yet IMO. I wouldn't rely on it.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:34 PM
    I use BlackBerry Maps as my navigation system now instead of my 7yr old Tom Tom One. It's very basic but gets the job done (I live in Vancouver). I ALSO have a short cut to the Google Maps Web site on my home screen. This mobile version works nicely especially for getting transit routes.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 02:17 PM
    Are they as good as Google maps or should I sideload Google maps?

Posted via CB10
    I use Waze as my primary. It beats all others as it is a social GPS app meaning that other users report speed traps, traffic, objects on the road, cars stopped on the shoulder, etc etc. It will even change your route I'd it detects traffic along your route.

I also sideloaded Google Maps and it also works well.

I don't really use BlackBerry Maps as it doesn't allow you to pan while in Nav.

Posted via CB on my Z10
    06-22-13 03:11 PM
    I use Google Maps because I find that the POI data (TomTom) is often out of date, at least in some of the places I've had to travel for work lately - i.e being guided to banks that have closed or moved. Not really impressed with BlackBerry Maps or TomTom for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 04:52 PM
    I recently drove from NYC to Boston I actually used bbmaps Google maps and Waze. I had mixed results. Wave keeps you up to speed with everything on road like accidents and cops ahead. Google maps very accurate showing traffic conditions. Bbmaps ok better pre turn warning to me but no landscape and no pan zoom makes it seem inferior.
    At the end of the day I miss BlackBerry Traffic.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 06:05 PM
    I'm a big fan of BlackBerry Maps. I just did a trip to Houston and Dallas. Preloaded airports and hotels into my favorites and never had any problems. Avoided toll roads whence I needed to and took them when I wanted to. Easy to toggle it on/off. I also got accident warnings. I certainly can't speak for how it works overseas or small towns, but I've never had a problem in CO, CA or TX.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 12:47 AM
    I find that BlackBerry map is reliable enough to navigate me through the city. However. If I were to depend my life on it or is driving in a new city, I would definitely use the side loaded Google map.

Corky Notes for bb10 developer
    06-23-13 03:33 AM
    It says map data is currently not available for this country , Egypt ! Is there any data I have to download?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 04:40 AM
    Best way to answer your question is to road test BlackBerry maps yourself. I've already put BlackBerry maps to the test and it works very well for my needs. For instance, while on the highway, I was starting to get hungry so I typed in "harveys" and pressed enter. (harvey's is a burger place in Toronto). Seconds later viola! All nearby locations were identified and the app was easily able to map a route to the nearest one, based on my current location. Did the same thing on a few other occasions and each time it worked efficiently. Just like Google maps, BlackBerry maps an provided ETA, re-routed when I drove on a different road than the one suggested, and showed a very clear path. But as I said best to try it out yourself. Good luck.
    06-23-13 05:15 AM