App for instagram isn't actually a fake, it's a client where you can share pics, and videos.
    There are also good reviews on it.

Posted via CB10
    Referring to the "App for Snapchat "
    05-07-14 10:11 PM
    Referring to the "App for Snapchat "
    I saw that today, very sneaky description:

"Enjoy fast and fun mobile conversation! Snap a photo or a video, add a caption, and send it to a friend. They'll view it, laugh, and then the Snap disappears from the screen - unless they take a screenshot!"

However the screenshot shows what looks like a news or RSS page of articles.

I can easily see inexperienced people getting taken-in by that for 99 cents. (Well we have proof of at least one, see below)

Luckily in this case, they weren't sneaky enough to stuff the ballot-box with shill reviews right away, so this is the only visible review at the moment:

"Not even worth one star

Isn't an app for Snapchat! Is rubbish!! Just shares videos on youtbue[sic] about Snapchat!! I want my money back!!"

05-08-14 02:33 AM
    It's not really fair to blame the victim in all these cases. There is CLEAR fraud in a lot of those apps, they are designed to lure people who don't know better. (And MOST people are not experienced hobbyists/experts like you and I are.)

YOU know and *I* know that "app for XXXX" oftentimes means a fake app - but LOTS of less experienced people do not know this. Especially since the descriptions are often very sneaky and misleading too.

Personally I think it's pretty blatantly obvious that BlackBerry knows that this dicey nonsense is going on - but their priority is to make the store look "as large as possible". Virtually ALL the mobile app stores grind this same axe. If this were NOT the case, they would all have halfway decent search engines and much narrower categories. But NONE of them do. They obviously want people to wallow around in a sea of stuff, making them think that the selection is "endless". It's like the retail stores designed specifically to prevent clear sight-lines so you cannot see what the limits of the space and merchandise are. Same exact concept.

Glad you mentioned reviews. Because that's a huge pile of steaming fraudulent excrement as well.

In short: having what looks like "good reviews" doesn't mean a heck of a lot in BlackBerry World. Because the management makes it trivial for developers to kill negative reviews. The majority of negative reviews I've written (ie less than 3 stars) have been removed or blocked by the developer. No matter how well-written, supported, polite, etc. This is something that people have brought up here again and again.

BlackBerry World needs some serious reform.
    I don't blame the victims, I agree that it's incredibly deceptive (hence the 'incredibly deceptive description'). I find that the developers of those apps should be incarcerated in hell for the atrocities they did to numerous unsuspecting people. In case you're wondering, the last sentence is not a joke nor a sarcasm.

I don't know how they managed to avoid the heat. Plenty of customers must have requested refund on the base of fraud. Some decided to skirt on the edge of law grounds by using RSS Feed screenshot, as I said. Some also deceptively put the namesake app's description THEN put the "this is just sharing news" on the very bottom of the app description. My guess is these are the reasons they managed to escape the heat. While this amounts to customer's lack of due diligence, this also requires a better customer protection system. Thieves should not be allowed to roam just because people don't lock their doors

You ask me, the things BlackBerry need to do:
    1) immediately wipe those apps from BlackBerry World.
    2) ban the accounts of the developers on the grounds of willful deceptions
    3) refund all customers that bought those apps
    4) make sure to put a blaring warning on the dev site "WE DON'T ACCEPT DECEPTIVE APPS" and "APPS NEED TO BE PROPERLY NAMED, JUDGED BY BLACKBERRY". Those apps should have been "info about xxx" at the very best. Oh, and be sure to rename "App for Instagram" to "Instagram Viewer"
    5) enforce strict rules regarding app descriptions
    6) wipe ridiculously useless apps like the hundreds of Chinese poems.

Only by doing those can they restore faith in quality BlackBerry World

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    05-08-14 02:52 AM
    I don't know how they managed to avoid the heat. Plenty of customers must have requested refund on the base of fraud.
    Do you know of anyone that is new to BlackBerry World that has tried to figure out how to get a refund on an app?

It reminds me of the maze that AOL used to put in place for someone to cancel service. IIRC there is not any information, or link, or help article, or anything anywhere that tells someone how to do this. It is extremely well-hidden. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is invisible anywhere on BlackBerry World itself - I believe you have to root around extensively on BlackBerry's main corporate website to find info about how to do this.

You ask me, the things BlackBerry need to do:
    1) immediately wipe those apps from BlackBerry World.
    2) ban the accounts of the developers on the grounds of willful deceptions
    3) refund all customers that bought those apps
    4) make sure to put a blaring warning on the dev site "WE DON'T ACCEPT DECEPTIVE APPS" and "APPS NEED TO BE PROPERLY NAMED, JUDGED BY BLACKBERRY". Those apps should have been "info about xxx" at the very best. Oh, and be sure to rename "App for Instagram" to "Instagram Viewer"
    5) enforce strict rules regarding app descriptions
    6) wipe ridiculously useless apps like the hundreds of Chinese poems.

Only by doing those can they restore faith in quality BlackBerry World

Pretty much agreed on those points.
    05-08-14 03:05 AM
    Maybe if you read the post, my kid, who was 13 at the time thought it was the Netflix app. He actually made the purchase and then was confused.
    I would never let my kids purchase apps without supervision.
    05-08-14 05:48 AM
    Ya and we're still stuck with screens that have a resolution compared to an CRT screen.
    This again? The resolution is better than the human eye can see. Stop being a slave to marketing.
    05-08-14 05:49 AM
    This again? The resolution is better than the human eye can see. Stop being a slave to marketing.
    Nop, human eye can see the difference between the display on HTC One m8 and Z30. Stop being a slave to BlackBerry.
    P.S. Even though I don't mind Z30's resolution because of better battery life, just couldn't agree with what you said!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:05 AM
    Do you know of anyone that is new to BlackBerry World that has tried to figure out how to get a refund on an app?

It reminds me of the maze that AOL used to put in place for someone to cancel service. IIRC there is not any information, or link, or help article, or anything anywhere that tells someone how to do this. It is extremely well-hidden. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is invisible anywhere on BlackBerry World itself - I believe you have to root around extensively on BlackBerry's main corporate website to find info about how to do this.
    It is not well hidden on your BlackBerry World Purchase Receipt (just see footnote)
    Last edited by bb10_fan; 05-08-14 at 09:43 AM.
    05-08-14 09:26 AM
    BlackBerry has finally listened to us and there is no longer a proliferation of the garbage apps that trick people buying it thinking it's an app that is not yet available on BlackBerry World (ie. App for Kik, App for Snapchat, etc..). You can no longer find any of those apps and they have also implemented a reorganization of apps. Now they have new categories such as 'Get Social' and 'Sports Apps'.

Attachment 267438
    Thank you
    05-08-14 09:30 AM
    Nop, human eye can see the difference between the display on HTC One m8 and Z30. Stop being a slave to BlackBerry.
    P.S. Even though I don't mind Z30's resolution because of better battery life, just couldn't agree with what you said!

Posted via CB10
    Oh please. No the human eye cannot see any pixels at the Z30 resolution. Please check the science and not marketing.
    05-08-14 09:34 AM
    Oh please. No the human eye cannot see any pixels at the Z30 resolution. Please check the science and not marketing.
    Then I think am not a human! O.o :P

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 10:15 AM

Actually I think the truth is somewhere in between.

You do not have to be able to count individual pixels to be able to see visual differences in how different resolution screens present images.

But many of the screens that are being touted these days as improvements in handheld devices have ridiculous resolutions that most people would be hard pressed to see much difference with. The Z30 is actually not very high pixel density by modern standards. It's got a screen that is 20% larger diagonally than the Z10 but with lower resolution (1280x720 on the Z30 vs 1280x768 on the Z10) and using an AMOLED with pentile pixel arrangement that some people feel makes the pixels more visible than an IPS display such as on the Z10.
    05-08-14 02:44 PM
    BTW - go into BlackBerry World on your device, go to the apps section and search for "App for".

Cue hilarity.
    05-08-14 02:45 PM

You do not have to be able to count individual pixels to be able to see visual differences in how different resolution screens present images.

But many of the screens that are being touted these days as improvements in handheld devices have ridiculous resolutions that most people would be hard pressed to see much difference with. The Z30 is actually not very high pixel density by modern standards. It's got a screen that is 20% larger diagonally than the Z10 but with lower resolution (1280x720 on the Z30 vs 1280x768 on the Z10) and using an AMOLED with pentile pixel arrangement that some people feel makes the pixels more visible than an IPS display such as on the Z10.
    Whatever makes you feel better bro
    05-08-14 07:46 PM

I mean come on,I'm a die hard fan of BlackBerry(because of its functionality compared to others), but people over here are like slaves to BlackBerry. It's like, if BlackBerry makes a display or a phone with lower specs, then they would say, it's what a human wants. But if BlackBerry starts to improve the specs, they would say, see this is better than yours and faster and clearer. This is exactly what happened when Z10 came out. It's display was better than what iPhone had and said was the best display they ever seen on a smartphone, so they started jumping on iPhone and this was the main reason for them to compare it to an iPhone. And now for the Z30, they said humans don't need high res displays!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:04 PM
    Whatever makes you feel better bro
    What he said is right only, cuz of the pentile display, the pixels are more visible. But I like this display only for the battery life it offers and it's pretty clear once u get used to it and don't compare it to other high end phones.
    But I would love BlackBerry to bring out a 1080p display on their next full touch smartphone, if it has a 3500mah or better battery in it.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:08 PM
    What he said is right only, cuz of the pentile display, the pixels are more visible. But I like this display only for the battery life it offers and it's pretty clear once u get used to it and don't compare it to other high end phones.
    But I would love BlackBerry to bring out a 1080p display on their next full touch smartphone, if it has a 3500mah or better battery in it.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm, IDK about that. I saw a live-unit display of Z30 the other day and it feels as crisp as my Z10.

I have to agree that I can indeed see the difference of 720p to 1080p on 5" display, but that's mostly on the text being crisper. Image-wise, not much improvement (tho it's there)

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-08-14 08:13 PM
    Ya and we're still stuck with screens that have a resolution compared to an CRT screen.
    Ya that's not a exaggeration at all.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-08-14 08:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    No I think you put your eyes too close to the screen...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-08-14 08:19 PM
    No I think you put your eyes too close to the screen...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Yes :P, still I can see, that's the point.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:39 PM
    Hmmm, IDK about that. I saw a live-unit display of Z30 the other day and it feels as crisp as my Z10.

I have to agree that I can indeed see the difference of 720p to 1080p on 5" display, but that's mostly on the text being crisper. Image-wise, not much improvement (tho it's there)

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    I can clearly tell that Z10 has a sharper display, by just looking at the app icons of both the devices, side by side. I had both the Z10 and the Z30, so I can justify my point.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 08:41 PM
    I mean come on,I'm a die hard fan of BlackBerry(because of its functionality compared to others), but people over here are like slaves to BlackBerry. It's like, if BlackBerry makes a display or a phone with lower specs, then they would say, it's what a human wants. But if BlackBerry starts to improve the specs, they would say, see this is better than yours and faster and clearer.

I think you are being very selective in what you observe.

Yes, this is a BlackBerry fan site, there are always going to be people here who "defend" the product.

But there are also a lot of different viewpoints here.

I've been poking fun at Apple's "Retina" branding for a long time, and I own LOTS of different computing products from LOTS of different vendors. The original Retina-equipped devices were particularly ridiculous because the OS could not even utilize that resolution yet so it "pixel doubled" lower-resolution images. This would be like changing a speedometer to read in "1/2 miles per hour" or "1/2 kilometers an hour" so you could double the size of numbers that appear on the dial.

After the first "Retina" iPad came out I compared the previous model to the new model and discovered that while the resolution difference was slightly noticeable, the new model heated up terribly and had much worse battery life than the previous model. So for a while, back when I was thinking about getting an iPad, I was more interested in the older one for that reason.
    05-08-14 08:59 PM
    I think you are being very selective in what you observe.

Yes, this is a BlackBerry fan site, there are always going to be people here who "defend" the product.

But there are also a lot of different viewpoints here.
    If that attitude is what u think, a fan should have, then BlackBerry is not going to improve. If you people think what BlackBerry offers is perfect then BlackBerry itself will feel that this is enough and users(fans) are happy with their products. We learn from our mistakes. The first thing anyone(not BB fans and those who have not used BB10) would argue when choosing a between a Z30 and other smartphone is by telling "Z30 has only 720p display and it costs around the same". So with this, how you think BlackBerry will sell? Only less than 5% of people who buy a smartphone, knows the advantages of a lower res display. The rest have no idea about it and are blindly following the current trend. If BlackBerry needs to succeed they have to bring a device with the latest tech on their smartphone with a very competitive price tag. This way, if BlackBerry 10 gets into more people's hands, then they would know how good it is and then BlackBerry can decide how their devices should be, cuz then there will be people like isheeps following BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:31 PM
    If that attitude is what u think, a fan should have, then BlackBerry is not going to improve. If you people think what BlackBerry offers is perfect then BlackBerry itself will feel that this is enough and users(fans) are happy with their products.
    I wonder if the post you quoted was not formatted correctly in a readable format or something...
    Where did you ever see, or how could you extrapolate that from the post?!?!
    He clearly stated there will always be people like that, but there are many different views.
    He NEVER endorsed that thought process at all.
    05-08-14 09:58 PM
    If that attitude is what u think, a fan should have, then BlackBerry is not going to improve. If you people think what BlackBerry offers is perfect..."

Once again, you are inventing fictions to try to make your point. No one claimed anything was "perfect" here. Nor does anyone have exactly the same stance on any of this - including various "supporters" and "defenders", based on the comments here.

Trying to oversimplify and twist people's comments to try to prop up a weak argument of your own isn't a very winning strategy.

The rest have no idea about it and are blindly following the current trend.

And again, absurd hyperbole like the above isn't helping your arguments.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-08-14 09:59 PM
115 ... 2345