Quick Question: Why is it so hard for top App developers like Facebook,Google,Netflix,SnapChat..etc to develop apps for BB10, is it that much of pain to at least port the freaking app to BlackBerry World?

Even if BlackBerry possess a small market compared to Android and IOS they can attract a small percentage of people using BlackBerry..

Via-Blackberry Passport Silver Edition
    brian4591 likes this.
    04-27-16 01:59 PM
    Because as posted here for the 50 hundredth billiontastic time, it takes companies limited resources and uses them with lower payoffs.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 02:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;12407150]Because as posted here for the 50 hundredth billiontastic time,

Hahaha that's gr8 man......

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 02:04 PM
    Because as posted here for the 50 hundredth billiontastic time, it takes companies limited resources and uses them with lower payoffs.

Posted via CB10
    ...but why? LoL

04-27-16 07:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    To be pretty fair Nemory is doing basically all of these big companies apps natively in a really good timeframe and he's alone. Not sure why its such a big problem if one guy can do what 10+ companies can't. Its a load of male bovine feaces.

They could stick one dev each into a BB dev team and make an app even if it's behind because of a small dev team. Doesnt mean its costly or hard to do, they honestly couldnt care and that's the truth. It's not like they are reinventing the app everytime they simply port it to the new system. Which takes time but most of the grunt work is done on Android and iOS and could quite easily be replicated except for in the case of api differences of course.

It's more how like SnapChat wont make a WP10 app because the CEO simply doesn't like WP.

Petty reasons and most devs could do this in a matter of days, if not there's is a serious lack of skill.

Sure it costs money, but no one said they couldn't develop them and charge a slight fee in BBWorld. Im sure most of BB users would pay a few dollars per app than not have anything at all, which is already proven by Nemories app being purchased by thousands of people.

Lack of interest is the real problem, time and money is a poor excuse at this point although it is a part of it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-27-16 08:08 PM
    I don't know where anyone gets the idea it is a time or money issue. It may be a return on investment issue, but is most likely a market share issue why should they build a application for BB10? There isn't an application for Windows.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    04-27-16 08:53 PM
    quick question: Why is it so hard for top app developers like facebook,google,netflix,snapchat..etc to develop apps for bb10, is it that much of pain to at least port the freaking app to blackberry world?

Even if blackberry possess a small market compared to android and ios they can attract a small percentage of people using blackberry..

Via-blackberry passport silver edition
    lack of demand!!!!
    04-27-16 09:15 PM
    I don't know where anyone gets the idea it is a time or money issue. It may be a return on investment issue, but is most likely a market share issue why should they build a application for BB10? There isn't an application for Windows.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I gues it depends on personal willing, capacities, and interest! I have no idea if people developing for BlackBerry get an $$ incentive from BB.

Anyway, there is a demand for BlackBerry apps! Then I am not sure if the BlackBerry apps can make a good economic return!!
    For sure it is easier to get success with a good Ios or Android app than with a BB...but this has to do with the number of customers your are dealing with.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 09:20 PM
    I don't know where anyone gets the idea it is a time or money issue. ...... why should they build a application for BB10?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    What's your point of you about WA stopping to provvide BlackBerry support by the end of the year?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 09:23 PM
    To be pretty fair Nemory is doing basically all of these big companies apps natively in a really good timeframe and he's alone. Not sure why its such a big problem if one guy can do what 10+ companies can't. Its a load of male bovine feaces.
    Try researching what it would cost to build your own house on your own property. You'd find it's comparatively inexpensive if you do all the work yourself, only hire inspectors as you need them, etc.

Then research what it would cost you to build that exact same house for someone else. Suddenly your costs go way, WAY up, because now, you need a license, insurance, etc. And when you have to hire people to do the work for you, it's exponentially more expensive.

It's cheap to work on your own car. It's expensive to work on other people's cars - when you have to lease a garage, stock it with tools, and hire mechanics, and get a business license, insurance, pay taxes, etc.

Nemory can spend 100 hours a week for weeks on end writing a FB app, and perhaps he makes enough money to make it worth it for him, but a real company must hire professional developers, and pay them professional wages with benefits and taxes, buy or lease a building to house them, provide them with computers and cubicles and chairs and offices and on and on and on. And if they want more than 40 hours of work a week, they have to pay even more, or hire additional developers.

If you don't understand the difference, then clearly you've never run a real business before.
    04-27-16 10:13 PM
    Try researching what it would cost to build your own house on your own property. You'd find it's comparatively inexpensive if you do all the work yourself, only hire inspectors as you need them, etc.

Then research what it would cost you to build that exact same house for someone else. Suddenly your costs go way, WAY up, because now, you need a license, insurance, etc. And when you have to hire people to do the work for you, it's exponentially more expensive.

It's cheap to work on your own car. It's expensive to work on other people's cars - when you have to lease a garage, stock it with tools, and hire mechanics, and get a business license, insurance, pay taxes, etc.

Nemory can spend 100 hours a week for weeks on end writing a FB app, and perhaps he makes enough money to make it worth it for him, but a real company must hire professional developers, and pay them professional wages with benefits and taxes, buy or lease a building to house them, provide them with computers and cubicles and chairs and offices and on and on and on. And if they want more than 40 hours of work a week, they have to pay even more, or hire additional developers.

If you don't understand the difference, then clearly you've never run a real business before.
    Yes, but this would apply to all the companies, wether they develop for BlackBerry, Android or IOS or Windows. Or you mean it would cost more to develop for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 10:57 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is just not on the map for them. Nemory is enthusiastic about BlackBerry 10, that's why he can get it all done. But big companies have to hire people and pay them to be enthusiastic about BlackBerry 10, which seems totally not worthy for BlackBerry 's 0.2 percent market share.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-28-16 12:06 AM
    What's your point of you about WA stopping to provvide BlackBerry support by the end of the year?

Posted via CB10
    Return on investment. Publicly traded companies have a statutory duty to the shareholders. WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. Why would you expect one part of the company to make a substantially different decision than another part of the same company? They are continuing support to the end of 2016 because it is reasonable to give existing customers time to accommodate the change.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-28-16 03:48 AM
    Yes, but this would apply to all the companies, wether they develop for BlackBerry, Android or IOS or Windows. Or you mean it would cost more to develop for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    No, it costs the same to develop for BlackBerry 10 and add the users of that OS, but the same investment to develop for Android and add a billion users. The return on investment of an Android app is going to be orders of magnitude higher than BlackBerry 10. Facebook could easily afford it, but how do you answer a shareholder's question about why Facebook would spend that money? What is the return on investment?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    elfabio80, JeepBB and rusty502 like this.
    04-28-16 03:55 AM
    No, it costs the same to develop for BlackBerry 10 and add the users of that OS, but the same investment to develop for Android and add a billion users. The return on investment of an Android app is going to be orders of magnitude higher than BlackBerry 10. Facebook could easily afford it, but how do you answer a shareholder's question about why Facebook would spend that money? What is the return on investment?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Good point...but it would it be interesting (in order to answer to your question), to see what is the impact of the WA maintanance cost vs FB Budget. That I think could give a clear idea, also as answer to the shareholders needs/willing... Of course nobody can force WA to change idea, and they are free to decide what to do.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 04:07 AM
    Good point...but it would it be interesting (in order to answer to your question), to see what is the impact of the WA maintanance cost vs FB Budget. That I think could give a clear idea, also as answer to the shareholders needs/willing... Of course nobody can force WA to change idea, and they are free to decide what to do.

Posted via CB10
    Total customer value times the number of BlackBerry 10 WhatsApp users (or potential users). If this is less than the cost of maintenance for WA then they loose money by maintaining the application. Pretty simple business math, but the numbers are all likely trade secrets.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    04-28-16 04:24 AM
    I imagine porting an android app to bb would not be time intensive. Just a guess though...
    04-28-16 04:31 AM
    I imagine porting an android app to bb would not be time intensive. Just a guess though...
    The porting is not hard, but you mus still test that the app works well with current BB10 devices. And if something (for whatever reason) works on Android, but misbehaves on the BB10 Android runtime, the effort to fix the issue would be just as great as maintaining a native BB10 app.
    04-28-16 04:41 AM
    Of course FB could *afford* to support BB, but likely they would do so at a loss. Unless they stood to gain something eventually, it's dumb to do something at a loss. And they also realize that if BB10 goes away, then people will automatically move to a platform that is supported, so there's little incentive for them to support BB10 (or any platform) at a loss when they'll eventually get them anyway.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-28-16 10:13 AM
    Quick Question: Why is it so hard for top App developers like Facebook,Google,Netflix,SnapChat..etc to develop apps for BB10, is it that much of pain to at least port the freaking app to BlackBerry World?

Even if BlackBerry possess a small market compared to Android and IOS they can attract a small percentage of people using BlackBerry..

BlackBerry's worldwide mobile OS market share is about .3%. Three tenths of one percent.

BlackBerry 10 app gap... Reasons?-k.png

Click here for the interactive dashboard: https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...eOSMarketShare

It requires considerable time, money, and resources to maintain a top tier mobile app for one platform, let alone 2 or 3.

There's just no way they would get any reasonable return on their investment maintaining a BB10 app. It makes sense to focus on the platforms people are actually using.
    04-28-16 10:29 AM
    With all this info on "No return investment" BlackBerry has no chance even if they were to come up with a revamped "BlackBerry 12"

Windows has a hard time launching there own OS and they have piles of cash to throw at it..

So it means that the future of the smartphone market is Google and IOS..

elfabio80 likes this.
    04-28-16 12:35 PM
    With all this info on "No return investment" BlackBerry has no chance even if they were to come up with a revamped "BlackBerry 12"

Windows has a hard time launching there own OS and they have piles of cash to throw at it..

So it means that the future of the smartphone market is Google and IOS..

Perhaps, but this is very much a matter of recent fashion. Companies used to publish APIS and hope lots of developers wrote programmes for their products. This usually meant that almost every user preference was catered to. Now the trend, for all kinds of reasons, is to block third party development. The pendulum will swing back. If BlackBerry handsets can't survive this they wouldn't survive even if Facebook and WhatsApp continued to provide native applications.

I'm not concerned, I never had a Facebook app on my PC and it has not been a problem. WhatsApp is a non-starter for me because I don't want most of the people I chat with ti have my phone number.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    04-28-16 04:56 PM
    Of course FB could *afford* to support BB, but likely they would do so at a loss. Unless they stood to gain something eventually, it's dumb to do something at a loss. And they also realize that if BB10 goes away, then people will automatically move to a platform that is supported, so there's little incentive for them to support BB10 (or any platform) at a loss when they'll eventually get them anyway.
    Yes in business it's all about never doing things at a loss...kinda like Zuckerberg's mission to Alpha Centauri with tiny spaceships? Of course that is a lot less cool than supporting BB10, I'll admit. But quite a bit more expensive, I suspect.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 05:26 PM
    Yes in business it's all about never doing things at a loss...kinda like Zuckerberg's mission to Alpha Centauri with tiny spaceships? Of course that is a lot less cool than supporting BB10, I'll admit. But quite a bit more expensive, I suspect.

Posted via CB10
    Well it goes without saying that anyone can spend their personal fortune on whatever they want without justifying it to anyone. Why not write Zuckerberg and ask him to personally fund Facebook and WhatsApp for BlackBerry.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-28-16 06:39 PM

It's not hard or expensive, but the OS builder has to show commitment to their own OS. We all now how that ended !

Woof!

04-28-16 07:20 PM
51 123