Could RIM have just shelled out 100 million for big name apps like instagram, vine, snapchat and netflix, to fill the voids most people wanted?
    Or is it not that easy?
    12-16-13 08:29 AM
    Not that easy I don't think. I'm sure they have tried ....
    12-16-13 08:49 AM
    The developers have to be interested. (now, if BB could prove apple/google were behind the limitation.....)
    12-16-13 08:51 AM
    First, it is no longer RIM, that name died earlier this year, and this question has been asked many times. But the fact is, they didn't shell the money out, so what you see is what we have at this point. A mess, waiting to be addressed.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-16-13 08:51 AM
    I know this has been asked a million times before and whatever is said on this will remain speculation: it however raises a million unanswered questions.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-16-13 08:57 AM
    Indeed, it is no longer RIM, but at the time when they had the option, it was.
    12-17-13 02:47 AM
    Could RIM have just shelled out 100 million for big name apps like instagram, vine, snapchat and netflix, to fill the voids most people wanted?
    Or is it not that easy?
    I agree with other posters in that they definitely tried it. After making easy installation of the android apps, I hope they market it well. If you go to a retail carrier store even here in Waterloo, Canada, they salesperson would recommend you iPhone/Android. Think of a person who has been using a feature phone and wanted to get a smart phone goes to a store like that!
    12-17-13 06:08 AM
    That's why I think BB pins a lot on the official release of 10.2.1. Going the open runtime route is a very efficient way to address the issue as long as it is made to be user friendly. We will just have to wait and see what solution they are coming up with - speculation is rife about the Play Store but also several other suggestions (signed agreement with Amazon?) Who knows for sure?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-17-13 06:26 AM
    Well I think BlackBerry could of had a small team of developers making their versions of the missing apps, like they did with the Facebook app.
    But I get a whiff of arrogance from the boys at Waterloo because when I directly asked them why the didn't just make an instagram app they replied "we aren't instagram "
    Silly answer because they aren't Facebook either.

Posted via CB10
    Michael Weinberger likes this.
    12-17-13 07:10 AM
    BlackBerry should just recognise this massive BONUS that has emerged from the forums and embrace the brilliant indie devs that are currently make things like iGrann, Whine and Snap2Chat employ them as freelance devs for BlackBerry and give them the resources they need.
    If those devs have managed what they have on their limited resources, imagine what they could do if they had the full support and resources of BlackBerry behind them

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    12-17-13 07:33 AM
    BlackBerry should just recognise this massive BONUS that has emerged from the forums and embrace the brilliant indie devs that are currently make things like iGrann, Whine and Snap2Chat employ them as freelance devs for BlackBerry and give them the resources they need.
    If those devs have managed what they have on their limited resources, imagine what they could do if they had the full support and resources of BlackBerry behind them

If BlackBerry were to finance such ventures, they might need to get some sort of consent from the original developers/companies to save them from any potential lawsuit.
    Michael Weinberger likes this.
    12-17-13 08:42 AM
    If BlackBerry were to finance such ventures, they might need to get some sort of consent from the original developers/companies to save them from any potential lawsuit.
    I'm sure a much smaller pay off would be necessary for that and the original devs wouldn't have to do any work for the BB10 app, which they had no intention of making in any case

12-17-13 08:49 AM
    Or is it not that easy?
    just think of it like a movie. I'm sure many of you guys have seen the show called "Entourage" on HBO which gives a good example of what I'm trying to get at.

Actors get a bunch of scripts for a bunch of different movies. Some low budget ones some high budget ones , which would determine the actor's salary. The actor reads this script with a role they have never played before but are getting offered more then any other script but they hate it. Then they pass on that gig because certain actors just like certain developers are stubborn into their ways.

This is just like developing. Blackberry can throw money at them. But if the developer doesn't give a s*** about that platform or don't want to maintain it while they are on that platform for many reasons:learn new code, rewrite from scratch, no time, they want to wait and see of the stability of the platform's company and etc.
    They are simply just going to pass on that platform and do something else that they want: updating their app on existing platforms, researching new way how to many their app better and etc.

Hopefully this post helps
    12-21-13 12:31 PM
    Or is it not that easy?
    I have Vine, Instagram, Snapchat, and Netflix all running on my Z10 working like a champ. No need to attach it to my computer for side loading either...direct download and install with 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 01:33 PM
    Personally, and this is just my opinion of course, with the direct sales of the Z10 from BB and at the price that they are offering it at, might make developers take some notice, as they seem to be moving quite quickly. If they could put these devices in the hands of more people, I would say the chances might be slightly higher in developers taking some kind of interest, but who knows
    12-21-13 01:44 PM
    I have Vine, Instagram, Snapchat, and Netflix all running on my Z10 working like a champ. No need to attach it to my computer for side loading either...direct download and install with 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    Can't wait until Verizon releases the latest software. Maybe then myself and others will be able to experience these goodies as well. A lot of it depends on what build Verizon releases. In the past with them, they have disappointed and released builds of software that were often buggy and still several builds behind others. They need to get this out fast, for those of us that do not want to load leaks. I have been tempted many times, but I am a mac user and do not have windows partitioned on my HD to allow me to do so. Otherwise I would have done it long ago
    12-21-13 01:47 PM
    We've already been through this...it's not just about the money

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 02:15 PM
    Can't wait until Verizon releases the latest software. Maybe then myself and others will be able to experience these goodies as well. A lot of it depends on what build Verizon releases. In the past with them, they have disappointed and released builds of software that were often buggy and still several builds behind others. They need to get this out fast, for those of us that do not want to load leaks. I have been tempted many times, but I am a mac user and do not have windows partitioned on my HD to allow me to do so. Otherwise I would have done it long ago
    I am on AT&T, the are just as bad if not worse then VZW, just load the newest leak, it is what I did! Works like a dream!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 02:23 PM