Traveling in South East Asia this Feb, and will be turning data (and voice) services off. But may find the need for GPS maps. Do any of the map apps in store use pre-downloaded maps? Or are they all just using googles maps, and streaming the maps on demand? Even bettter if they could store the map on SD card.

~S
    01-02-14 05:21 PM
    Mireo Don't Panic should satisfy your requirements. Maps are stored on my SD card. North American map is about 2gb.
    01-02-14 05:38 PM
    Hmm, Mireo looks nice. I guess I should have been more specific, I will be in Cambodia and Laos. It looks like Mireo doesn't have a map pack for those countries yet.

Magellan Maps seems to work there, but I when I search for any city in cambodia, it comes up with zero results. But using finger to create nav points seems to work.
    01-02-14 06:15 PM
    Hmm, Mireo looks nice. I guess I should have been more specific, I will be in Cambodia and Laos. It looks like Mireo doesn't have a map pack for those countries yet.

Magellan Maps seems to work there, but I when I search for any city in cambodia, it comes up with zero results. But using finger to create nav points seems to work.
    For Cambodia and Laos you will most likely need a map app that supports offline open street maps (OSM). A bbworld search returns a lot of options, most are paid apps. You could also install the latest bb10 leak on your phone, install snap and try some of the GPS apps from Google Play store. The app be on road for example offers free offline navigation in Cambodia, but they have no maps for Laos.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:19 AM
    Thanks for reply.

Yeah, when I started looking at OSM, there are a few more options, but the hard requirement for 'offline' is what is the tough one. The ones I have found so far that support OSM, and offline are all android ports, but better than nothing. I don't mind paying if it is native, and works well.

Giving OsmAnd try right now. It isn't native, so no SD card access, and has the usual Android app clunkiness, but I could likely live with it, if I don't find something better in the coming weeks.
    01-04-14 10:58 AM
    Navigator from Mapfactor offers free offline OSM maps and navigation in Laos and Cambodia. You can download it with Snap. Their OSM maps look a bit nicer than the OSMand maps. And they offer 3D routing.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:44 AM