05-11-14 05:07 PM
91 ... 234
tools
    PS for Omnitech

In future, if you feel the urge of engaging in discussion by replying to a post, please, consider the following (this suggestion is general and not related to current topic only):

- carefully read the post to which you have the urge to reply. Don't think what could possibly be written in the post, don't read between the lines, read along the lines. If you use CrackBerry app the text is black and the background is white (standard settings), if you use web browser, colours may differ
    - re-read the post until you truly understood what's written. Take your time, there is no need to rush with replies, especially unrelated ones
    - take time to analyse the post and if needed do some research on topic you're planning to discuss/comment on
    - reply/comment on post with relevant answer/comment and not just arbitrary output of activity of your brain

Take care
    MADBRADNYC, Iggy City and Djlatino like this.
    05-09-14 12:21 PM
    Until this sentence I followed you, but here you lost me completely. Did I understood you correctly - NemOry broke SpanChat ToS and that's why his apps have security issues, or his app Snap2Chat has security issue due to the fact that SnapChat itself has them?
    SnapChat has known security issues.

NemOry was storing user data in his apps in a way he shouldn't have been and didn't tell his users.
    The way NemOry implemented the SnapChat api in Snap2Chat was how he broke their ToS.
    05-09-14 01:23 PM
    That fact was highlighted this week as Snapchat had a big action against them from the US Federal Trade Commission over lying to the public about the alleged inability of people to save images as well as lying about not collecting personal data like phone number and full contact list when in fact that is precisely what they did on a massive scale.

Now they have to submit to 20 years of monitoring by the FTC to ensure they don't pull that again, among other things.

It's been years since we had a "consumer protection agency" that wasn't mostly the lapdog of big business. Refreshing change of pace.
    About time SnapChat had their wrists slapped hard.
    05-09-14 01:25 PM
    I didn't "confusingly repeat" anything. I'm in a group with very experienced devs, they've all stated how bad NemOry is as a dev due to security flaws in his apps that can be easily fixed.

When it comes to BellShare, they are not beyond reproach.

No app or dev is ever perfect, though there are those who listen to their customers.
    Snap2Chat security - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

may I assume that your information regarding Snap2Chat (app not apps) is outdated?
    05-09-14 01:44 PM
    PS for Omnitech

In future, if you feel the urge of engaging in discussion by replying to a post, please, consider the following (this suggestion is general and not related to current topic only):

- carefully read the post to which you have the urge to reply. Don't think what could possibly be written in the post, don't read between the lines, read along the lines. If you use CrackBerry app the text is black and the background is white (standard settings), if you use web browser, colours may differ
    - re-read the post until you truly understood what's written. Take your time, there is no need to rush with replies, especially unrelated ones
    - take time to analyse the post and if needed do some research on topic you're planning to discuss/comment on
    - reply/comment on post with relevant answer/comment and not just arbitrary output of activity of your brain

Take care

That little lecture after the fact was uncalled-for.

And while I certainly could rebut every single point, I am going to leave it at that for the sake of the rest here.
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-09-14 03:38 PM
    Snap2Chat security - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

may I assume that your information regarding Snap2Chat (app not apps) is outdated?
    Making assumptions is dangerous and ill-advised.
    The holes may have been patched, the point is how NemOry stores user data and the fact Snap2Chat still breaches the SnapChat ToS.

I'm done defending an app I use.
    I made a choice and stand by it. I have not "settled" simply because BeMaps is Native.
    If a better solution arrives, I'll test that out.
    05-09-14 04:22 PM
    If a developer is in the habit of doing things irresponsibly, the fact that they may have figured out after a long while and after being told multiple times that they are doing something irresponsibly and then eventually getting around to addressing it does not necessarily change the fact that their basic approach to task is either sloppy or cavalier wrt to user security and privacy.

It's possible that he has learned his lesson on that, but one single fix for one single issue is not enough for me personally to be convinced of such things, especially when you know they have a history and pattern of this approach.

To his credit, Nem0ry is young and aggressive and goes after ambitious projects that other people might not attempt, and he is skilled enough to create some good functionality and include lots of crowd-pleasing features. I'm just not personally prepared to entrust my personal data to his apps until I see more evidence that he is not still sloppy or cavalier about user data.

(Oh and BTW - Nem0ry also produced a GPS/maps app that uses, among other things, Google Maps data. But if you think BeMaps is buggy/unsupported, you haven't seen anything until you've seen that app. As far as I know, he abandoned it shortly after he started selling it, and it's no longer showing in BBW.)
    Excellent points Omni, well made, concise and clear.
    05-09-14 04:26 PM
    Omni. It's a third party app and the first party app snapchat itself isn't much more secure. I've never got on snapchat and so if anyone cares about security just don't download it.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-09-14 05:23 PM
    BlackBerry maps should have offline maps, then it would be good. Then we don't need the other apps

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:37 AM
    The off line map would cost more. The cheapest is 19.99 for north america. I wonder the OP would pay for that at all. :-). Limited market.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 07:36 AM
    Heredrive+ was free on my Nokia lumia 820 and had offline maps. One of the best navigation I used. BlackBerry maps could have the offline maps included for free when the z10 costed $499...

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 08:01 AM
    BlackBerry maps is a fine gps tool but for things like walking, biking, and public transit options it just simply isn't there or even attempted. Each competitor phone comes with a more fully realized map application that serves more than just the needs of drivers.

Also I have heard nothing from BellShare about their support of BeMaps 10 Pro or my support ticket.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 09:24 AM
    Omni. It's a third party app and the first party app snapchat itself isn't much more secure. I've never got on snapchat and so if anyone cares about security just don't download it.
    Yep well I discovered more about that over time, but if CJH_ is correct about Snap2Chat violating their ToS then that's all that needs to be said on that matter.

Neither are my points on that dev confined to their approach to a single app, as I have made clear.

Hopefully the overall obvious point here is I do not give any developers a "free ride" simply because they develop popular native apps.

In the case of BeMaps, I'm happy with it and it's useful to me despite Bellshare's well-documented poor support responsiveness. (Which I have not personally needed so far.)

On the other hand I would be more unhappy about the situation if a promised feature that I actually wanted to use didn't work right.

Though in my case if I tried to make an effort to get the attention of Bellshare to address the issue and it didn't bear fruit, I would be inclined to eventually resign myself to the fact that this is part of the already-known-to-me risk I willingly accept when I buy his apps. Life does not include a guarantee that every undertaking or business transaction will be 100% successful and satisfactory for every involved party. So far in my case the risk I knowingly accepted with Bellshare's apps has worked in my favor. Certainly that won't always be true for other people and situations.
    Pete The Penguin and stlabrat like this.
    05-10-14 10:53 AM
    Good for you. Such an evolved consumer.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:02 PM
    Under review...
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-11-14 04:35 PM
    This thread has definietly run its course. I see nothing constructive to come from further discussion, so I'm closing the book here.

Please leave any personal baggage here -- don't carry it on to another thread.

Thanks,
    Elessar.cm / Moderator
    05-11-14 05:07 PM
91 ... 234