I am all for supporting native developers. And again I will say, being loyal does not give you a pass for creating subpar applications with a premium price tag.
    I raised the same question long time ago when one of the previously Android ports were converted to Native with a long list of missing features (I paid for a full featured app and after getting Native update left with half backed buggy one). And you know what was the answer? "At least they are still #TeamBlackBerry"...

So as I said before, don't criticise know from BlackBerry OS developers, they are "holy cows" for some members here. $4 is not a huge amount of money to be upset about, but at least you know that some developers it is better to avoid. As you already mentioned Nemory and there are few other developers that really care about their customers, they have much higher standards. And I hope that eventually lazy developers will extinct or bump their standards to survive (if BlackBerry will survive itself)
    05-08-14 05:14 PM
    Which is why the OP is entitled to his opinion. Why, do others have to bash or criticise his ost?
    Because we think he's at least partly wrong. Nobody thinks he's not entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't put that opinion above criticism.

The OP has stated "I bought it before Google maps was easily available." Now, how long has that been? Several months. So the OP bought the app several months ago, but only in the last few days decided he's entitled to a refund, as stated in the first post in the thread. Do you think that attitude is above criticism? I don't.

The app was last updated in October. More to the point, it functions as described. It does what it says on the tin, as they say in the UK. It still works, it hasn't been broken by any BB10 updates. Just to make sure, I just went out for a long walk and used it for walking directions and navigation. It opened quickly and loaded my location within a couple of seconds, in satellite view, which is how I had left it the last time I used it. It tracked my position smoothly, and the compass was mostly accurate, although the fault symbol did flash occasionally. I'm not claiming that the OP's experience wasn't as he described, but it wasn't similar to my experience.

It actually does give turn-by-turn directions, in a margin at the bottom of the screen. They're not spoken, of course, but they're there. That's something the Google Maps mobile web site doesn't do. And the Google Maps web site doesn't fork BB Maps for spoken driving directions. So those are two features that the app has that the mobile web site lacks. For some of us, they're worth paying the price of a beer.

Sure, plenty of people would rather just use the Google Maps Android app, and that fact has no doubt reduced the demand for BeMaps Pro, but it doesn't turn it into garbage or a waste of money. There are still those of us who like BB Maps for navigation.

I don't think anyone is saying BellShare is above criticism either. In fact, some people who use and like BeMaps Pro have expressed criticism for BellShare's support practices. The OP has pointed out that BeMaps Pro is not listed as a premium app at the developer's website. It doesn't follow that the app is no longer supported. It may not be supported; we just don't know yet.

And for the record, "support" means helping customers who have problems installing the app or getting it to work properly. It doesn't mean a commitment to updates. BlackBerry still supports versions of BBOS that will never see another update. So as of this moment, we don't know whether BellShare continues to support BeMaps Pro or not. If they don't, then I agree that that's a problem. At the very least, the app description should indicate that they no longer offer support for the app. But we don't have that information yet.

Developers of native BB10 apps are not in general above criticism, but they do deserve some credit for working on a platform that many would say is on the ragged edge of extinction. I think that counts for something, even though it doesn't give them a free pass.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 05-09-14 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I can't believe I wrote "distinction" instead of "extinction"!
    grover5, Omnitech and stlabrat like this.
    05-08-14 07:00 PM
    Which is why the OP is entitled to his opinion. Why, do others have to bash or criticise his ost?
    Redirect attempt noted.

The issue is not whether or not anyone is "entitled to an opinion", it is whether it is reasonable to expect that an app developer either maintain an app in precisely the way you want them to or else be accused of being some kind of cheater and fraud.

That's just an extremely unfair accusation, by any measure.

In you opinion they maybe top-notch. But, probably not for others.
    Please enumerate for us all the other apps available from BlackBerry World that provide superior functionality, and the reason why you think that is so.

The fact that you can basically sideload an app written by one of the worlds most profitable companies whose business model charges you not money up-front but by monetizing your personal info to marketers does not mean that someone who simply charges fee-for-service is some kind of a ripoff artist.

Their support has been near non-existant for many a year now. Hence, I stopped funding their apps... In my opinion, why pay for something where you receive near zero support and no updates without paying again?

As others have noted many of Bellshare's apps have been updated periodically for quite some time without any additional charge involved. I bought BeWeather over one year ago and it is still being updated without any further charge to me.

Yes, their support responsiveness stinks. I've already explained my stance on that.

The problem is, I tried - 3 other competitors in the case of paid notification apps - and I tried hard to like them. But the simple fact is, they all had showstopper problems that caused severe inconveniences to me (causing me to miss all sorts of notifications) before I ultimately ended up using BeBuzz again.

So I reiterate: everyone's entitled to opinion. No one is entitled to private "facts", nor are they entitled to have everyone else agree with them.
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-08-14 07:16 PM
    As you already mentioned Nemory and there are few other developers that really care about their customers, they have much higher standards.

You know about all the security and privacy problems that developer's apps are full of, right?
    05-08-14 07:20 PM
    I am all for supporting native developers. And again I will say, being loyal does not give you a pass for creating subpar applications with a premium price tag.
    You missed the part where there are clearly tons of people who do not agree with you that the app is subpar.

You and others are simply being complacent.
    No - we just disagree with you, and for that you go on YOUR high-horse excoriating everyone who doesn't agree with you, apparently.

Native bb10 apps are great but that doesn't mean that your standards for support, updates, and over all quality can slip.
    Neither does it mean that everyone MUST have the same exact priorities in the same exact order you do, or else they are [complacent|dumb|pompous|etc].

I already explained my own choices - not that I owe you that - but in my personal experience in various cases, the Bellshare apps ended up being the best option I could find. So as a person who has many times criticized the lack of Bellshare's support responsiveness (try checking the archives here going back several years), I STILL came to the conclusion that it was better for me to put up with that particular negative element, to gain what to me were more important positive elements.

If anything I am trying to hold BellShare accountable for their work. Something many people here do not do.
    The simple fact that others may have different standards and priorities than you do regarding a smartphone app does not mean that they deserve ridicule for not agreeing with your stance on something, chapter-and-verse.
    Pete The Penguin and stlabrat like this.
    05-08-14 07:28 PM
    The problem is, I tried - 3 other competitors in the case of paid notification apps - and I tried hard to like them. But the simple fact is, they all had showstopper problems that caused severe inconveniences to me (causing me to miss all sorts of notifications) before I ultimately ended up using BeBuzz again.
    And BTW - after trying those various alternatives and eventually coming to the conclusion after some months that they weren't working well for me, I did not run over to the developers or BlackBerry and demand a bunch of refunds either.

Because that's the way life works: you try things you think will work, and sometimes they don't. This sense of entitlement that the world owes you something for every initiative you make that doesn't work out or poor choice you make in life is a terrible trend.
    ubizmo and Pete The Penguin like this.
    05-08-14 07:38 PM
    Yall be self contradicting yourself with "not Google, access everything on your device" to "it's ok about the annoying compass bug, It's NATIVE THO".

Idk bout you guys but when I'm with blackberry, I don't expect to settle for "native" apps.
    05-08-14 08:09 PM
    Yall be self contradicting yourself with "not Google, access everything on your device" to "it's ok about the annoying compass bug, It's NATIVE THO".

Idk bout you guys but when I'm with blackberry, I don't expect to settle for "native" apps.

Sounds to me like you're inventing some kind of artificial scenario there.

I don't even use the compass for the most part, can you even wrap your brain around such possibilities on the part of this app's users? So even if there was a severe bug with it, I probably would not notice it.

Furthermore, ubizmo states that in his experience, the compass works generally fine.

Makes me wonder sometimes if some people don't come into places like this determined to pick fights with people and if opportunities to do so don't present themselves often enough, they invent them.
    05-08-14 09:21 PM
    Makes me wonder sometimes if some people don't come into places like this determined to pick fights with people and if opportunities to do so don't present themselves often enough, they invent them.
    I wonder the same thing...

Sounds to me like you're inventing some kind of artificial scenario there.

I don't even use the compass for the most part, can you even wrap your brain around such possibilities on the part of this app's users? So even if there was a severe bug with it, I probably would not notice it.

Furthermore, ubizmo states that in his experience, the compass works generally fine.

Hmm

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:58 PM
    I think the main feature that Bemaps needs to add to make it a valuable app is saved locations. Either save them locally to the device (which you can do with older versions of Android Gmaps) or find a way to save and edit the saved places in people's Google accounts as if they were logged into the regular website. Because Bemaps can't do either the value proposition is very low and you always have to hunt and pick for things and can't store place people send you for later access.

I had reached out to the developers when the app was first released and they said it would be implemented but it hasn't happened. I can only guess that after all this time it's not possible, or they figured most people would just use the older Google maps version so it wasn't cost effective for them to implement it.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-09-14 02:03 AM
    I think the main feature that Bemaps needs to add to make it a valuable app is saved locations. Either save them locally to the device (which you can do with older versions of Android Gmaps) or find a way to save and edit the saved places in people's Google accounts as if they were logged into the regular website. Because Bemaps can't do either the value proposition is very low and you always have to hunt and pick for things and can't store place people send you for later access.

I had reached out to the developers when the app was first released and they said it would be implemented but it hasn't happened. I can only guess that after all this time it's not possible, or they figured most people would just use the older Google maps version so it wasn't cost effective for them to implement it.
    Hmmm. Good post.
    05-09-14 02:15 AM
    OK Omni, your horse it tired. Please come down now.

I am all for supporting native developers. And again I will say, being loyal does not give you a pass for creating subpar applications with a premium price tag. You and others are simply being complacent. Native bb10 apps are great but that doesn't mean that your standards for support, updates, and over all quality can slip. If anything I am trying to hold BellShare accountable for their work. Something many people here do not do. Native BlackBerry = buy + support! Uhhh no. BeMaps 10 Pro is a clunky application that bridged a gap and took everyone's money. What does that say about the loyal developer? They know they can over charge for mediocre applications because people will buy it because it is native? Give me a break.

I am so grateful I will keep consuming your garbage but at least that garbage is written natively for bb! Yay? From a consumer perspective it's awful for BlackBerry reputation as well. Imagine a new BlackBerry owner going to BlackBerry World looking for Google maps only to find a 4 dollar mediocre copycat. For us who have been BlackBerry for awhile we are lore willing. New customers don't give a ****, 4 dollars is a lot in the application game and then on top of that app isn't that strong nor are bugs fixed? Please.

For a high quality app please see Nemory, BellShare just takes a basic app, adds a facade and a price tag. Pretty smart.

Posted via CB10
    BellShare do need to up their game, yes.

I got BeMaps when it was pretty much the only mapping solution that worked on BB10 and it's far from perfect. There are a ton of updates and fixes I'd like. However, for my needs, it's sufficient.

I'm not saying buy every Native app, even the subpar ones. Perhaps you can contact BlackBerry about your experiences instead?

I'm not complacent either, and will bemoan BellShares lack of customer support but use BeMaps as it's the best solution for me.

As for NemOry? You realise his apps are full of security issues?
    At one point, BlackBerry weren't going to approve Snap2Chat as it breached SnapChat ToS.
    That in itself is funny as SnapChat don't care about user security either.
    05-09-14 02:36 AM
    I actually use two mapping apps : Waze for determining traffic and my distance to location and BeMaps Pro for generally looking a place with more specific nook and cranny. I use them both hand in hand .
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-09-14 03:24 AM
    Have to disagree with OP on pretty much everything. It runs very well on my Z10 with no lag (have you checked your signal?) and it's very well presented. I use it more than BlackBerry maps.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:21 AM
    BB maps dont work at all, needs 5min to load a part of a map, its just way too slow
    Which device you use? Who is the carrier? How is the signal strength? How many memory space you left on the device? Do you run other app at same time? - you do not need to answer.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:44 AM
    At one point, BlackBerry weren't going to approve Snap2Chat as it breached SnapChat ToS.
    That in itself is funny as SnapChat don't care about user security either.
    That fact was highlighted this week as Snapchat had a big action against them from the US Federal Trade Commission over lying to the public about the alleged inability of people to save images as well as lying about not collecting personal data like phone number and full contact list when in fact that is precisely what they did on a massive scale.

Now they have to submit to 20 years of monitoring by the FTC to ensure they don't pull that again, among other things.

It's been years since we had a "consumer protection agency" that wasn't mostly the lapdog of big business. Refreshing change of pace.
    05-09-14 07:13 AM
    ...NemOry broke SpanChat ToS and that's why his apps have security issues, or his app Snap2Chat has security issue due to the fact that SnapChat itself has them?
    Nem0ry's apps have been designed that way from the beginning. (That is, when he wasn't writing apps designed to attack other phone users with SMS floods and so on. Real peach, that guy.)

Hopefully after getting into legal hot-water a few times he will eventually stop being such a cowboy.
    05-09-14 07:18 AM
    By the way, for those of you who have decided that a "broken compass" is a horrible flaw on the part of Bellshare's app and an insult to its customers: have you considered the possibility that it's actually a hardware or OS flaw?

Because a number of people have apparently come to that exact conclusion:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=916527
    05-09-14 07:55 AM
    So are you trying really hard to prove bb10_fan's argument that some people think certain developers should be considered "beyond all criticism" simply "because you say so"??
    Could you be so kind and back this claim with exact quote from one of my posts?
    05-09-14 07:58 AM
    By the way, for those of you who have decided that a "broken compass" is a horrible flaw on the part of Bellshare's app and an insult to its customers: have you considered the possibility that it's actually a hardware or OS flaw?

Because a number of people have apparently come to that exact conclusion:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=916527
    While the broken compass is just one of my issues the the application. I know the hardware compass works fine because it is perfect in other map applications and on the compass application itself. BeMaps 10 compass is also 90+ degrees off and has constant "interference". Again, just one of my issues with the app and again, I would not expect something like that from a $4 app. A lingering issue like that has "free" app written all over it.

Omni, why are you defending BellShare so hard? The app has issues, I name said issues and have determined the value of the app is not equal to the price tag. No one said my word is law and it is obviously my opinion because 1. I am saying it and 2. This is an online forum for opinions.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 08:30 AM
    Could you be so kind and back this claim with exact quote from one of my posts?
    I can help out with that:

So as I said before, don't criticise know from BlackBerry OS developers, they are "holy cows" for some members here.
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-09-14 08:31 AM

Omni, why are you defending BellShare so hard? The app has issues, I name said issues and have determined the value of the app is not equal to the price tag. No one said my word is law and it is obviously my opinion because 1. I am saying it and 2. This is an online forum for opinions.

First of all, just re-read the first part of what you wrote there. Are you unable to see how absurdly binary-thinking those comments are? Very few things in life are that simple, regardless whether some highly-opinionated person has "determined" it to be so.

So you pick-and-choose comments so you can construct a false dichotomy, and then start doing this "If you're not with me you're against me" stuff.

You seem to conveniently forget that I was also critical of the developer over their general support responsiveness, and went into detail about my personal reasoning (that I have no obligation to spend time explaining to you) so you could hopefully understand the thought processes behind how a human-being such as myself can actually harbor certain reservations about something while still concluding it meets their needs just fine.

Yet you throw all of that out and go back to your "with me or against me" zero-sum thinking and accusations and keep arguing as if your mission is to convince the entire world to agree with you over a highly subjective matter and if they don't, something must be wrong with them.

If a bunch of people tell you that they came to different conclusions than you did about the value of something, I'd hope that instead of immediately either telling them they're stupid for valuing something that you don't, or just going "LA LA LAA LAAAA" and trying to block that data from entering your brain, you would instead conclude that "opinions differ" and move on.

No one is telling you you "can't" ask for a refund if that's your thing, but the world has no obligation to agree with your stance on it either.
    05-09-14 09:00 AM
    I can help out with that:
    @ubizmo, Do you always have a habit to answer questions that were not directed to you?
    @Omnitech, well, I guess the question I had for you has been already answered implicitly

Then maybe you (possibly as a joint effort) can help me with these pieces of information:

Input data:
    - topic of the thread is BeMaps 10 Pro (developer Bellshare)
    - my initial comment "So as I said before, don't criticise know from BlackBerry OS developers, they are "holy cows" for some members here." directed towards Bellshare developer as "know from BlackBerry OS developer"
    - at certain moment another developer was mentioned, namely NemOry
    - Omnitech blatantly mentioned, which was later confusingly repeated by CJH_, security issues in NemOry apps
    - Iggy City, pointer out that "...tirade..." by Omnitech " against Nemory is unwarranted and ridiculous"
    - I asked Omnitech to back his comment "So are you trying really hard to prove bb10_fan's argument that some people think certain developers should be considered "beyond all criticism" simply "because you say so"??" with exact example where I said that certain developers should be considered "beyond all criticism".
    - ubizmo brings as prove my early comment about know from BlackBerry OS developers

problem:
    - find the link between know from BlackBerry OS developers named by me as "holy cows for some members" and NemOry developer who doesn't have any history (according to BBW) with BlackBerry prior to BlackBerry 10

thank you in advance and looking forward to hear your thoughts
    05-09-14 09:03 AM
    @ubizmo, Do you always have a habit to answer questions that were not directed to you?
    Yes, it's my mission in life.
    05-09-14 09:07 AM
    Great, could you also, please, add to your life mission answering questions directed to you? Thank you
    I think I've said all I could possibly say on this topic. If I stepped over the line I sincerely apologize. This is probably a good time to unsubscribe.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    bb10_fan likes this.
    05-09-14 10:45 AM
91 1234