It's a shame because BBOS10 was so good.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I'm not really sure what really makes BB10 so good. It was simply the BlackBerry Android/iOS solution. Those of us who bought into BB10 just wanted our beloved experience with BlackBerry to continue. I would have been more ecstatic had BBAndroid or a BlackBerry with Android existed in 2008-2009 instead of "coming soon" and the BB10 introduction failure 3-4 years later almost killing the company and it's employees.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-21-21 06:08 PM
    If this is not just a temporary technical glitch, then why on earth would BlackBerry respond? If their servers broke down or some required licenses expired, they aren't going to do it.
    I think allowing developers to sign apps would be a simple matter. A single server? A part of a server? Updating a date?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-21 06:36 PM
    I think allowing developers to sign apps would be a simple matter. A single server? A part of a server? Updating a date?

Posted via CB10
    If it is as simple as a switch, they'd just flip it back on.

If it's a few thousand dollars to buy new equipment or purchase more licenses, then goodbye.

Anyway, back on topic.
    02-21-21 06:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why if everything is getting shutdown anyway?
    02-21-21 06:46 PM
    Why if everything is getting shutdown anyway?
    Because everyone that sees my Passport in public says "wow, that's an awesome phone! I heard they came out with a new one," etc.

As long as they are in business and trying to license the brand, it's cheap advertising to have the old devices circulating with enthusiasts like us. It's worth a few $1000.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-21 01:33 AM
    Well, I'm not really sure what really makes BB10 so good. It was simply the BlackBerry Android/iOS solution. Those of us who bought into BB10 just wanted our beloved experience with BlackBerry to continue. I would have been more ecstatic had BBAndroid or a BlackBerry with Android existed in 2008-2009 instead of "coming soon" and the BB10 introduction failure 3-4 years later almost killing the company and it's employees.
    Probably you never had or used Android in 2008-2009.... what a piece of garbage was!
    02-22-21 02:07 AM
    Because everyone that sees my Passport in public says "wow, that's an awesome phone! I heard they came out with a new one," etc.

As long as they are in business and trying to license the brand, it's cheap advertising to have the old devices circulating with enthusiasts like us. It's worth a few $1000.

Posted via CB10
    Except that BlackBerry left the mobile phone business in 2016 and doesn't care about licensing. The licensing attempt failures were just that.

BlackBerry even published the actual date of shutdown. The message that BlackBerry wants to covey to its current and future customers is that BlackBerry mobile phones are part of it's history and not it's future.

BlackBerry has struggled for years to shake the connotations of a failed business and wants people to move forward with current businesses and continue to repair it's brand image as software company with UEM, QNX, Cylance and Ivy now.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-22-21 06:47 AM
    Probably you never had or used Android in 2008-2009.... what a piece of garbage was!
    Sure I did. That's when I bought my first Android/iOS toys for my older kids. I'm not really sure how that's relevant to BB10 at introduction half a decade, (5) five years later. I held back migrating from BBOS to Android/iOS for (3) three years because the acquisition of QNX and BBX was going to be the BB answer to Android/iOS combined and Windows/BBOS additionally.

BBX couldn't even pick and introduce the OS name correctly. Due to brand name conflict, BBX introduction was BB10 before the doomed journey ever began. Look, I bought and still own about every version of a BB10 mobile device. At some point, let's just let them die with dignity and quit making unreasonable requests for long ago EOL products with announced system EOL and now technical EOL from carriers.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-22-21 06:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    How about a lot more than a few thousand.... Keeping legacy equipment and software running can be very expensive for a big company. But I suspect they have a "guy" that overseeing it till the shutdown, but in the end sometimes it's best to phase out little things... helps to wean off a few of the stubborn users before the big shutdown.

BBW was suppose to end a year ago.... really no reason to keep developer tools up.
    02-22-21 02:40 PM
    Except that BlackBerry left the mobile phone business in 2016 and doesn't care about licensing. The licensing attempt failures were just that.

BlackBerry even published the actual date of shutdown. The message that BlackBerry wants to covey to its current and future customers is that BlackBerry mobile phones are part of it's history and not it's future.

BlackBerry has struggled for years to shake the connotations of a failed business and wants people to move forward with current businesses and continue to repair it's brand image as software company with UEM, QNX, Cylance and Ivy now.
    There is STILL a lot of BB nostalgia with professionals especially. It's not a feather in Chen's cap that no value has been created with it.

But... that is no reason to throw away whatever remains.

And... it helps and not hurts for people to know that the company still exists. Real people apparently are paying for BB's services today whatever those are.

Why do companies like BB pay to have their logo on race cars or various places? To remind people they exist. These legacy phones have a value to the company even today.

Just my opinion. I'm OK if we disagree.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-21 03:09 PM
    There is STILL a lot of BB nostalgia with professionals especially. It's not a feather in Chen's cap that no value has been created with it.

But... that is no reason to throw away whatever remains.

And... it helps and not hurts for people to know that the company still exists. Real people apparently are paying for BB's services today whatever those are.

Why do companies like BB pay to have their logo on race cars or various places? To remind people they exist. These legacy phones have a value to the company even today.

Just my opinion. I'm OK if we disagree.

Posted via CB10
    There’s no desire on BlackBerry Limited’s part to conjure up that nostalgia. Every time BlackBerry’s mobile past is resurrected in an interview, you can see BlackBerry reps from Chen down literally get frustrated.

The old technology nostalgia doesn’t benefit a technology company looking to create a cutting edge technology image. BlackBerry Limited doesn’t want to prolong the 2005-2010 brand image anymore. BlackBerry doesn’t play in the consumer space anymore. It’s happy behind the scenes with other companies like Amazon getting the headlines. Look at BlackBerry website and you’ll see, the end consumer isn’t who the company deals with. It’s more about being an Enterprise solutions provider.
    02-22-21 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Trouble was those people admiring your passport with their ooh’s and arhhh’s never bought one, perhaps because BlackBerry didn’t do enough advertising but whatever the reason that ship has sailed and sailed many years ago.
    02-22-21 03:42 PM
    There is STILL a lot of BB nostalgia with professionals especially.
    A good case can be made that there will be less than 100k BB10 and BBOS devices (combined) left on Earth with SIM cards in them by Christmas.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-22-21 04:25 PM
    There’s no desire on BlackBerry Limited’s part to conjure up that nostalgia. Every time BlackBerry’s mobile past is resurrected in an interview, you can see BlackBerry reps from Chen down literally get frustrated.

The old technology nostalgia doesn’t benefit a technology company looking to create a cutting edge technology image. BlackBerry Limited doesn’t want to prolong the 2005-2010 brand image anymore. BlackBerry doesn’t play in the consumer space anymore. It’s happy behind the scenes with other companies like Amazon getting the headlines. Look at BlackBerry website and you’ll see, the end consumer isn’t who the company deals with. It’s more about being an Enterprise solutions provider.
    We will see about that. It might be that someone buys BB and finds something to do with it better than Prem/Chen.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-21 06:50 PM
    We will see about that. It might be that someone buys BB and finds something to do with it better than Prem/Chen.

Posted via CB10
    There are FAR better things to do with BlackBerry other than phones. Not even close.
    Rootbrian and pdr733 like this.
    02-22-21 07:59 PM
    There are FAR better things to do with BlackBerry other than phones. Not even close.
    Exactly. They're done with smartphones, which I don't understand why some cannot let it go and move on, as they did 5 years ago.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-22-21 08:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Since BB long ago exited mobile devices, that story is over. Everything was sold off and repurposed. The people and buildings are gone. BlackBerry has more relationships in the automotive industry so maybe BB will produce automobiles. Not really, but automobiles will happen long before mobile devices ever again.
    02-22-21 09:30 PM
    That's what they thought or hoped.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-21 11:22 AM
    That's what they thought or hoped.

Posted via CB10
    That’s what BB thinks or hopes. When exiting mobile devices in the manner BB exited, it burned the bridges and scorched the earth behind them. BB couldn’t raise the economic resources to return to mobile devices if so desired.
    02-23-21 11:38 AM
    It's cool that there is still hobbyist development going on in BB10. These kinds of things are fun. I still shoot with film and I'm seriously considering starting to develop (film I mean) at home again. It's fun to make things.

But I think it would be hard for BB to continue to support this. They could push out an update to loosen the security on devices (opt-in only) to allow self-signed apps. I think that would be out-of-character for them and problem even undermine their position as a company focused on security. So I think if I were them, I'd be sympathetic to hobbyist devs, but then not really be able to do a whole lot to help with it.
    mikael11 and elfabio80 like this.
    02-23-21 11:42 AM
    It's cool that there is still hobbyist development going on in BB10. These kinds of things are fun. I still shoot with film and I'm seriously considering starting to develop (film I mean) at home again. It's fun to make things.

But I think it would be hard for BB to continue to support this. They could push out an update to loosen the security on devices (opt-in only) to allow self-signed apps. I think that would be out-of-character for them and problem even undermine their position as a company focused on security. So I think if I were them, I'd be sympathetic to hobbyist devs, but then not really be able to do a whole lot to help with it.
    It sounds like we only need them to maintain status quo and allow devs to sign apps for BB10. Maybe someone tripped over a cord at headquarters. But I doubt allowing devs to continue signing is a big expense. It's not like a room full of servers are running to allow signing.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-21 03:29 PM
    God bless BlackBerry! The signing server is back.
    Version 1.3.5.1 is up.
    - Fixed the app crash on opening a Channel
    02-23-21 03:30 PM
    It sounds like we only need them to maintain status quo and allow devs to sign apps for BB10. Maybe someone tripped over a cord at headquarters. But I doubt allowing devs to continue signing is a big expense. It's not like a room full of servers are running to allow signing.

Posted via CB10
    That's fair, it's probably not a major cost as long as people accept that there are no guarantees, no commitment to any level or quality of service, etc. They should probably make that clear.
    02-23-21 03:51 PM
    God bless BlackBerry! The signing server is back.
    Version 1.3.5.1 is up.
    - Fixed the app crash on opening a Channel
    I am hearing Ode to Joy playing but I have no stereo playing!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-21 05:02 PM
    That's fair, it's probably not a major cost as long as people accept that there are no guarantees, no commitment to any level or quality of service, etc. They should probably make that clear.
    I think we are all aware of that. Anyone left on this ship is seaworthy and an adventurer. We are not on a guided tour.

Thanks, Alexey!!!

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-23-21 05:04 PM
547 ... 1516171819 ...