Great stuff. Thanks for the work you have done.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-20 12:37 AM
    I understand your frustration. But, personally, for now I'm only planning to work on the YT client and on a OneDrive client a bit later. Perhaps I'll change my mind in 1 year. Regarding Merriam Webster specifically, I don't believe this will ever happen unless they develop an app themselves, mainly to the license/legal stuff.

Posted via CB10
    I really don't care whether it's a Merriam Webster or else one. I just want a dictionary with the features these dictionaries have. I personally love Cambridge dictionary but it's not offline so no chance, I'm gonna get something.
    By the way thanks, and congratulations to you for such a great YT client. No matter how long does it take, just keep in mind that a dictionary is an essential that BlackBerry World lacks.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-20 05:29 AM
    Version 1.1.2.1 is out. The new version contains usability improvements + features requested in this thread.

1. Implemented a custom App Cover (or Active Frame, the small widget you see on the home screen when an app is launched). It shows the videos's thumbnail and title.
    2. Added a bunch of shortcuts for my PKB friends. Beware that some of the shortcuts can conflict with system shortcuts for list controls so watch the keyborad's focus! @diels_alder
    2. Integrated the app with Assistant (Extended Search area) and added it as an option to the Share screen. The Share feature will work if a shared text has 'text/plain' mime-type. At least it works for SMS and BBM. Those BB services launch the app and initiate the search based on the user's input. @XcrazyS
    3. Implemented Search Filters. This feature is a parsed version of the YT's implementation so don't ask me why it does a search in this or that way. @FortressBB10
    4. Added a page for equalizer settings. @MeMeCe
    5. Added an option to set a customizable timeout to pause the playback when the app is in the background. @MeMeCe
    6. Fixed the progress slider + added support of double-tap gesture - it moves the slider on +/- 10% (it turned out to be a default behavior of this control). @Alin Torok
    7. Implemented different options for video's scaling methods. I didn't find an easy way how to implement the 'Pinch to Zoom' gesture so I implemented a set of four predefined settings: Aspect Fit, Aspect Fill, Fill, Original Size. Those terms are quite technical so I'm open for suggestions how to rename them. Just in case:
    - Aspect Fit - current behavior we are used to
    - Aspect Fill - keeps the aspect ratio but the video can be cropped
    - Fill - the video is not cropped but aspect ratio can be distorted (especially on 1:1 screens like Classic)
    - Original Size - no comments.
    Beware that depending on the video's dimensions and the screen size/orientation different options can give identical results @diels_alder
    8. Introduced a separate Settings page, Autoplay setting was moved there. @XcrazyS

Also I reduced the height of the Similar Videos list to give you more space to hide the overlay. Everything which is above the list is clickable and clicking it will hide the overlay. The list is still scrollable.

In general, the app is getting more and more mature thanks to you, guys. Now it has the top menu and even a basic Info page

Upcoming plans: to start working on Channels page (kind of subscriptions).

Thanks for your feedback!
    Wow......hats off to you buddy. You just came up with something so wonderful when we had all left the hope of getting something new and improved.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-20 05:32 AM
    I really don't care whether it's a Merriam Webster or else one. I just want a dictionary with the features these dictionaries have. I personally love Cambridge dictionary but it's not offline so no chance, I'm gonna get something.
    By the way thanks, and congratulations to you for such a great YT client. No matter how long does it take, just keep in mind that a dictionary is an essential that BlackBerry World lacks.

Posted via CB10
    See this is the problem. Take 100 users and you will get 99 different app requirements. I have absolutely NO need for an offline dictionary (or any dictionary for that matter) on my phone. One developer cannot be expected to make individual app requests, otherwise that developer would be inundated with tons of further requests.
    johnb_xp likes this.
    05-11-20 08:09 AM
    See this is the problem. Take 100 users and you will get 99 different app requirements. I have absolutely NO need for an offline dictionary (or any dictionary for that matter) on my phone. One developer cannot be expected to make individual app requests, otherwise that developer would be inundated with tons of further requests.
    Buddy I am preparing IELTS.....you should now have the essence of my need for a dictionary.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-20 12:02 PM
    Hi @MeMeCe and @diels_alder
    Regarding a shortcut for equalizer - it seems that BB10 doesn't support shortcuts for the App Menu (the one which expands at the top). Perhaps you didn't know that if you have a Classic phone then you can hold the BB button and that menu will appear.
    Regarding using "s" for cycling through different scaling options. I believe that's possible, but the action item from the overflow menu will be decoupled with the shortcut. It means that the shortcut won't be obvious for users. I'm not saying that this is good or bad, just a statement of fact.
    I also thought about using "1", "2", "3", "4" shortcuts (or, better say, alt+w, alt+e, alt+r, alt+s) but then I realized that Passport-ers will be out of the game, won't they? I mean they have neither Alt nor Digit keys on their keyboards. How can they live with that?!

Agreed with the bug reported by @diels_alder, but have a question: what is your expected result on going to the next video, should I reset the scaling method to Aspect Fit or keep the current option as long as user doesn't change it to another one?

As for donations, hehe, this question is getting hotter and hotter the situation is complicated. I have a friend living in the US (NYC) , I asked if I could use his account as the destination point for donations. He told me that in that case he would need to pay ~30% tax of all "income" if those payments won't be marked as Donations. But to start a fundraising it seems that one need to have a business account.

The only idea which came to my mind is that if anyone else has necessary setup for accepting donations via PayPal and if he or she could accumulate all donations for BBTube app then we could decide later how to transfer money further to me. Obviously single-time transfer is lot easier than managing a dozen of small payments.
    05-11-20 03:12 PM
    Regarding a shortcut for equalizer - it seems that BB10 doesn't support shortcuts for the App Menu (the one which expands at the top). Perhaps you didn't know that if you have a Classic phone then you can hold the BB button and that menu will appear.
    Regarding using "s" for cycling through different scaling options. I believe that's possible, but the action item from the overflow menu will be decoupled with the shortcut. It means that the shortcut won't be obvious for users. I'm not saying that this is good or bad, just a statement of fact.
    I also thought about using "1", "2", "3", "4" shortcuts (or, better say, alt+w, alt+e, alt+r, alt+s) but then I realized that Passport-ers will be out of the game, won't they? I mean they have neither Alt nor Digit keys on their keyboards. How can they live with that?!

Agreed with the bug reported by @diels_alder, but have a question: what is your expected result on going to the next video, should I reset the scaling method to Aspect Fit or keep the current option as long as user doesn't change it to another one?

As for donations, hehe, this question is getting hotter and hotter the situation is complicated. I have a friend living in the US (NYC) , I asked if I could use his account as the destination point for donations. He told me that in that case he would need to pay ~30% tax of all "income" if those payments won't be marked as Donations. But to start a fundraising it seems that one need to have a business account.

The only idea which came to my mind is that if anyone else has necessary setup for accepting donations via PayPal and if he or she could accumulate all donations for BBTube app then we could decide later how to transfer money further to me. Obviously single-time transfer is lot easier than managing a dozen of small payments.
    Maybe a head of Crackberry can collect those for you as you deserve it for your appreciated efforts for the community? @blaze
    05-11-20 04:58 PM
    Well, I am Passport-er... So anything using BB button, numbers, alt+ and so on is not my cup of tea. No shortcut for equalizer is OK, just minor unimportant polishing. Not changing equalizer settings so often. I just thought it would be simple.

What about leaving shortcut S "as is" and adding shortcut e.g. C (cycle), F (fit/fill) etc. to have that cycling option? Idea is to have one key which I have to press repeatedly until I get scaling best for the video I am watching right now. And I can instantly see result of every keypress while still watching the video (without bothering with big overlying menu and thinking about which option to choose). Silent cycling would be the best, no message or indicator, just change of the scaling with each keypress. If it is possible...

Thank you!
    Last edited by MeMeCe; 05-11-20 at 06:16 PM.
    05-11-20 06:00 PM
    Maybe a head of Crackberry can collect those for you as you deserve it for your appreciated efforts for the community? @blaze
    I also proposed to help. I discussed a couple of time with Alexey and as I live in Europe, transfer rates from bank to bank will probably be cheaper. I asked to him about collecting the donations through Paypal. He'll then have various options to take a decision

Posted via CB10
    moosbb likes this.
    05-12-20 05:06 AM
    Hi guys,

You've asked me about donations many times before and it's happening! Two forum members, @guizmox and @NaGMeT, were very kind to propose their help, but @NaGMeT texted me earlier, so we had managed to come to an agreement.
    Please use this link: https://www.paypal.me/NaGMeT
    Two notes: 1. I've heard that there is a text field for comments, just put [BBTube] tag there 2. If you see any checkboxes asking whether you're purchasing something or not - don't check them.
    Thank you.
    anon(5597702) and moosbb like this.
    05-12-20 09:06 AM
    Hi guys,

You've asked me about donations many times before and it's happening! Two forum members, @guizmox and @NaGMeT, were very kind to propose their help, but @NaGMeT texted me earlier, so we had managed to come to an agreement.
    Two notes: 1. I've heard that there is a text field for comments, just put [BBTube] tag there 2. If you see any checkboxes asking whether you're purchasing something or not - don't check them.
    Thank you.
    Done - and thanks again for the great work!
    05-12-20 09:41 AM
    Hi guys,

Thank you.
    Done ! Thank you for your work !

Posted via CB10
    moosbb likes this.
    05-12-20 10:16 AM
    Youpie guys! Well done!
    05-13-20 02:42 PM
    Curious about it since the forcing of youtube studio web interface: Can uploads happen?

When trying to do so via the native uploading interface, google asks you to insert a code into the application (it provides the code), however there is no way to enter it.

If that could be a feature (to upload videos), it would be so greatly appreciated.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    05-13-20 03:45 PM
    If that could be a feature (to upload videos), it would be so greatly appreciated.
    That's impossible because the app doesn't have any features which require user's authentication to YouTube. And it won't ever do because it wouldn't pass a review by Google due to some of the features which violates YouTube TOS

Posted via CB10
    05-13-20 05:52 PM
    That's impossible because the app doesn't have any features which require user's authentication to YouTube. And it won't ever do because it wouldn't pass a review by Google due to some of the features which violates YouTube TOS

Posted via CB10
    Well, that is a bummer. Doesn't supertube allow uploading? (probably isn't relevant, but worth asking)

05-13-20 06:14 PM
    Well, that is a bummer. Doesn't supertube allow uploading? (probably isn't relevant, but worth asking)

No, never did is it still working? O.o

Posted via CB10
    05-13-20 06:54 PM
    Doesn't supertube allow uploading? (probably isn't relevant, but worth asking)
    From what I read at info/help pages inside the SuperTube app, it uses/used official Google API, hence it gives you more power but, in the meantime, it limits some usecases. It has/had the Google Sign-in feature, not sure about uploading though.
    BBTube has been developed in a different way, it acts more or less like a normal browser, the implementation is more low-level so to speak. And in general, my asumption was that the app would be used mainly for consuming content. If you need to post or create something which requires authentication please use a mobile/PC browser.

Posted via CB10
    moosbb likes this.
    05-14-20 12:10 AM
    Excellent! Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-20 01:07 AM
    Version 1.2.0.1 is out. The new version introduces Channels (a.k.a. Bookmarks or Subscriptions) + new KB shortcuts + minor bugfixes and improvements
    First off, I'd like to thank @guizmox for a good input regarding how to implement the Channels page.

Unfortunately, the implementation is not that smooth due to the fact that the app doesn't use any API, the solution contains some compromises.
    Features:
    - Add to- / Remove From- Channels manually from lists
    - Get latest videos (Refresh action)
    - Mark All as Seen (sounds familiar, isn't it? )
    - Import subscriptions from YouTube / text file
    - Share channels - can be used as a backup or if you want to transfer channels to another phone / another app (in theory, RSS readers should support this format)

The Refresh action can take quite a while to complete depending on the number of your subscriptions. If you have hundreds of subscriptions then I believe it's time to cleanup!

I was trying to make the Import feature as much automatic as possible, but since the app doesn't have access to your YouTube account and doesn't have permissions to your file system I've only managed to make it semiautomatic so to speak. It will require few copy/paste actions from you.

Another issue: it's impossible to get a channel's avatar during the import, so right after the import you'll see "Anonymous" profile picture. The good news is that when you open a channel then all information related to the channel on the Channels page is updated automatically. So at some point all avatars will be replaced with real ones.

In general, I was inspiring a lot by CB10 app so the concept should be well-known to you.

New KB shortcuts:
    - Player View, "F" to cycle through all scaling options @MeMeCe
    - Player View, "A" and "V" to switch between Audio Only and Video ("V" get the one with the highest quality available) modes
    - All lists with videos, "A" to Play Audio Only

Bugfixes:
    - Addressed the issue on switching between Player and Mini Player, scaling method should be kept @diels_alder
    - Minor bugfixes

Upcoming plans: implement a Video Feed view on the Channels page, implement custom sorting / search on the Channels page

Attached Thumbnails BBTube: Introducing a new YouTube client for BB 10.-img_20200517_232105.png   BBTube: Introducing a new YouTube client for BB 10.-img_20200517_232100.png   BBTube: Introducing a new YouTube client for BB 10.-img_20200517_232043.png   BBTube: Introducing a new YouTube client for BB 10.-img_20200517_235746.png  
    05-17-20 04:00 PM
    Got it....thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-18-20 01:20 AM
    Version 1.2.0.1 is out. The new version introduces Channels (a.k.a. Bookmarks or Subscriptions) + new KB shortcuts + minor bugfixes and improvements
    First off, I'd like to thank @guizmox for a good input regarding how to implement the Channels page.

Unfortunately, the implementation is not that smooth due to the fact that the app doesn't use any API, the solution contains some compromises.
    Features:
    - Add to- / Remove From- Channels manually from lists
    - Get latest videos (Refresh action)
    - Mark All as Seen (sounds familiar, isn't it? )
    - Import subscriptions from YouTube / text file
    - Share channels - can be used as a backup or if you want to transfer channels to another phone / another app (in theory, RSS readers should support this format)

The Refresh action can take quite a while to complete depending on the number of your subscriptions. If you have hundreds of subscriptions then I believe it's time to cleanup!

I was trying to make the Import feature as much automatic as possible, but since the app doesn't have access to your YouTube account and doesn't have permissions to your file system I've only managed to make it semiautomatic so to speak. It will require few copy/paste actions from you.

Another issue: it's impossible to get a channel's avatar during the import, so right after the import you'll see "Anonymous" profile picture. The good news is that when you open a channel then all information related to the channel on the Channels page is updated automatically. So at some point all avatars will be replaced with real ones.

In general, I was inspiring a lot by CB10 app so the concept should be well-known to you.

New KB shortcuts:
    - Player View, "F" to cycle through all scaling options @MeMeCe
    - Player View, "A" and "V" to switch between Audio Only and Video ("V" get the one with the highest quality available) modes
    - All lists with videos, "A" to Play Audio Only

Bugfixes:
    - Addressed the issue on switching between Player and Mini Player, scaling method should be kept @diels_alder
    - Minor bugfixes

Upcoming plans: implement a Video Feed view on the Channels page, implement custom sorting / search on the Channels page

Thanks...great work. the subscription thing is the same that I asked you for almost a week ago. Thanks very much again.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-20 01:21 AM
    Version 1.2.0.2 is out. It was a quick fix for an issue reported by @NaGMeT. The app crashed while opening a personal YouTube account which hadn't been converted to a channel.
    05-18-20 01:15 PM
    The subscription feature is really cool - so simple and effective!

Posted via CB10
    Alexey Gurevski likes this.
    05-18-20 03:10 PM
    The "channels" feature is awesome and the way you managed to make it work is great. Now the app is my only YouTube app !

Posted via CB10
    05-18-20 04:02 PM
547 ... 34567 ...