Hey, have a little dilemma...I have a group on whatsapp that I've sold on moving to bbm once it goes cross platform, but I just realized that whatsapp group chat features are better than bbm. Whatsapp allows you to share pictures, videos, voice notes, contacts, and locations within the group chat conversation. BBM group chat only allows you to add pictures, lists, and events at the group level and not within the chat.

Wtf! How am I supposed to sell everyone on bbm with limited features?! I totally missed this and hope bbm seriously enhances group chat features when they (finally) go cross platform.

Individual chat seems better but the lack of group chat features is a problem

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 11:48 PM
    Hey, have a little dilemma...I have a group on whatsapp that I've sold on moving to bbm once it goes cross platform, but I just realized that whatsapp group chat features are better than bbm. Whatsapp allows you to share pictures, videos, voice notes, contacts, and locations within the group chat conversation. BBM group chat only allows you to add pictures, lists, and events at the group level and not within the chat.

Wtf! How am I supposed to sell everyone on bbm with limited features?! I totally missed this and hope bbm seriously enhances group chat features when they (finally) go cross platform.

Posted via CB10
    You're right. Navigating to and from pics in BBM groups is a pain compared to the ease of WhatsApp. But....there is something hypnotic about BBM.

Don't try to sell anyone into anything. Have a trial period with both BBM and WhatsApp and let the group decide by a majority on what everyone likes better.

Also, as you mentioned, with the changes coming to BBM because of the Android and iOS inclusion, there may also be changes in functionality. My suggestion is as I described, but remember the tool may end up being more robust for group chats than it is now.
    08-28-13 05:52 AM
    Remember that, at the moment, pictures added to a group in BBM inexplicably won't show up in the Hub.
    You can only find pictures and status updates if you open up BBM and see them by luck.
    Group experience in BB10 is far better with WhatsApp, surprisingly.

Shame people aren't making more of a fuss about this.
    08-28-13 06:40 AM
    Does whatsap allow you to have shared calendars within the group ? I never used the group features of it. Me too I have to find a new platform, we have many people in my hockey team who are on wp8 so bbm won't work this year. We were also thinking about hangout + Google plus.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 06:45 AM
    I don't think shared calendars are an option yet, no.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 06:57 AM
    It seems that you can share your country and local time via parameters.

I agree that there is no button to quickly share your location via gps or 3g triangulation.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 07:04 AM
    From menu you can say send location for a GPs location to be sent

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 09:21 AM
    The way the pictures are handled on BBM is different also with each one essentially becoming a post with its own conversation and ability for group members to "like" and stuff. I think I kinda like that more than having the picture appear in the chat feed... unless you tend to use meme's to reply to each other.

I guess having the option to do both is always nice.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 10:40 AM
    I'm also a little concerned why BBM groups does not support videos, location and contacts sharing. I have serveral groups in Whatsapp and i use video and location sharing a lot. I can not sell BBM replace Whatsapp to my friends because video and location sharing is not supported. I think Jason Gallagher has a point. Blackberry have to fix this so we can also share videos, locations and contacts via BBM Groups.
    09-13-13 04:45 AM
    A little confused here. Is "group" in WhatsApp (BB10 version anyway)more akin to "multi person chat" than "group" in BBM?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 12:22 AM
    "Group" of whatsapp is more like a multi person chat on BBM. Only difference being, a list of your "multi person group" chats is saved on their servers and if you reinstall whatsapp, it gets repopulated.

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1521.
    09-14-13 01:52 AM
    "Group" of whatsapp is more like a multi person chat on BBM. Only difference being, a list of your "multi person group" chats is saved on their servers and if you reinstall whatsapp, it gets repopulated.

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1521.
    Precisely. Something to bear in mind when comparing. Are some of the shortcomings in Group at BBM present in multi person chat there?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 02:11 AM
    Thnx! It could be that some of the shortcomings are available in multi-person chat at BBM. I'm going to find out
    09-14-13 07:24 AM
    Actually in BBM there is a difference between BBM groups and group chat. In group chat you have the options you are taking about

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    09-14-13 07:31 AM
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification with bbm group vs bbm multiperson!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 08:41 PM
    In a multi person chat are pictures, videos, contacts, and locations sharing not available. There is only voice notes available. Is this a bug or not supported? I have tested with Z10, android and iPhone
    Last edited by vogem; 10-25-13 at 09:43 AM.
    10-25-13 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure where you're getting the information on what BBM can't do but I don't belive that is correct. You can share all those things within BBM groups.

You can also have multiple chats within your group. You can post pictures and comment on them. Can't do that in Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 08:10 PM
    But the problem is still there. In a multiple user chat is only voice note available tu use. I can not send a video, picture or location. In a one to one chat it works fine. @blackberryhelp they says to contact my carrier for futher investigation, diagnoses and resolution.

Are more people having this problem?
    10-26-13 04:27 AM
    Well, I have a group. Where is the share location button?

You are now in my Bingo Book
    10-26-13 01:04 PM
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but its been ~2 years and BBM groups sitll doesn't have video/voice/location sharing capabilties? Any idea if they are coming out anytime soon, what is blackberry doing? lol
    mania626 likes this.
    07-24-15 09:26 AM