I have preordered a Z10 from Verizon. I have my BES10 server up and running and ready to go. BUT, the Z10 is only useful to me if I can use the MDS connection to get to my internal servers.

What I'm starting to realize; there are some great RDP apps for the Playbook (so I'm assuming they work on the z10), BUT BUT BUT they are ported over from their Android version, so there is no MDS support. That's a HUGE catch.

Does anyone know what apps our there actually support MDS ?????? I've got a bad feeling it's going to be awhile before these companies start writing native BB10 apps that support MDS.

In my eyes MDS is one of the major things that made BES/BB special.
    03-15-13 11:20 AM
    I'm waiting on this as well. I took a chance and pushed out Todd Graysons, Remote Desktop for Blackberry, but it doesn't appear to work with MDS even when installed as a business app. Too bad, I desperately need utilities that use MDS.

Bill
    03-15-13 11:54 AM
    Bill, I feel like we've found a weakness here. If developers have to rewrite all their code to build a native BB10 app to use MDS then we are screwed. With no easy VPN software on the z10, it will actually be a step backwards to get the z10. I will have NO access to corporate servers, despite the fact that there is a functioning MDS connection on the z10, no apps can use it. No one really cares, because you and I represent about .01 % of the smartphone buying population.
    03-15-13 12:24 PM
    I agree with some of those points... We're currently using an IPSec VPN on a Cisco ATA... a "supported" configuration, but it still doesn't work as easily as it should and I don't care to fix it yet as I'd rather use MDS. MDS does work... albeit for browsing internal webpages and the "Work drives" app. I just cant find a compatible SSH or RDP client.

As far as apps supporting MDS, legacy apps also needed to support MDS. Some eventually did, but certainly not all. I'm sure the apps will get there eventually.

Bill
    03-15-13 12:41 PM
    I am going to call Verizon and cancel my preorder.

I need useful sysadmin apps to support MDS before I buy the Z10.

It maybe Blackberry's fault for not allowing android ports to use MDS, in any case, I will continue to use my Nexus 4 as my cell phone until this is fixed.
    03-16-13 04:41 PM
    Strange. I am using Cisco ipsec vpn on my phone and I am able to use Todd greysons RDP client without issue. Also have telnet/ssh client installed it works fine when connected to VPN as well.

As for mds I can't comment still have to get our BES upgrades finished up

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 05:10 PM
    Yes, native VPN is a possibility. We have another z10 on order for another admin, if we can get built in VPN working well then I will reconsider. I'm just annoyed there is virtually no apps for bb10 that can use MDS. I loved the MDS connection on my bb 7.1 device. I know what needs to happen; Blackberry needs to allow ported apps to use MDS, that's all.
    03-16-13 05:27 PM
    Applications that make a TCP connection when NAC is enabled will fail going through MDS, however if the Applications make a HTTP connection will succeed.
    03-17-13 05:50 PM
    FYI on NAC:

The Network Access Control for Work Apps IT policy rule specifies whether work applications on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone must connect to your organization's network through the BlackBerry Device Service.
    The rule applies to all work-related applications or connections, including any application, Email profile, Wi-Fi profile, or VPN profile that was deployed to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone or tablet using a BlackBerry Device Service software configuration.
    If the rule is set to Yes for a BlackBerry device, any work-related applications or connections on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone or tablet will be forced to connect through the BlackBerry Infrastructure to the BlackBerry Device Services MDS Connection Service, regardless of whether the BlackBerry 10 smartphone or tablet is located inside or outside the corporate.
    03-17-13 05:58 PM
    So are you saying if I deploy an app through my BES10 as a work app, I can specify that it use MDS?? That would work for me'
    03-17-13 07:39 PM
    Oh, I think you are saying only HTTP based connections will work... ?
    03-17-13 07:40 PM
    Yeah that is correct any application that uses HTTP to make a connection should work via the MDS, you could force TCP application to use the MDS, however it will fail.

That said you can setup VPN profile via BDS, and this would allow the TCP application to work.
    03-18-13 02:22 AM
    When you say VPN via BDS... Is this a special type of VPN? Is there documentation on this? Thanks for your help.
    03-18-13 07:19 AM
    It's the same VPN options you can set on the handheld. You can just push them out via BDS/BES10.

I do have "Network Access Control for Work Apps" enabled. It does appear that only http/https are the only protocols that can make use of it.

Bill
    03-18-13 09:06 AM
    Here's where I get confused. If VPN is required for these RDP apps to work, why do we need BDS? Since email already goes through Active Sync and if we have to have VPN to get RDP the only thing BDS is giving us is a management console and being able to restrict access on the devices. If we don't want to restrict, and BDS CALs are $$, why would customers buy these unless it DID give the devicees access without the need for VPN. ?
    03-28-13 09:45 AM
    BDS provides management, the ability to provision wifi and vpn profiles, apps, restrict devices and via MDS allow access to intranet webpages and fileshares (work drives). You can also configure your blackberrys to use ActiveSync via your internal address, enabling you to then not publish A/S to the outside world. A/S will continue to work via MDS. Much more secure.

If BDS/BES10 is worth the cost to you is your call to make. But it enables far more functionality and management than A/S alone. ...And, more is coming. Like MDS for iOS which is coming in mid May. I look forward to being able to block outside access to A/S and still being able to provision iOS and BB10 devices.

Bill
    03-28-13 10:00 AM
    FYI, publishing/installing BlackBerry World - Remote Desktop for BlackBerry (remote desktop for blackberry) via the BES onto the work side of your Blackberry, will now allow access to internal servers without VPN. Now to find a working SSH client that can do the same...

I'm running BES 10.1, although there is a review that says it works on 10... I can't confirm that.

Bill
    06-13-13 07:25 AM
    Yes, we noticed this a while ago... I should have posted when I found out! it works great! Yes, agreed, we need native SSH and I need native TN5250.
    06-13-13 08:29 AM