Hi There,

Can you please share your own experience regarding which app to use when native BB10 app are not available and your choice is between using 1) an Android app port for BB10 (downloaded from Blackberry world) or 2) a Native Android app (download with Snap for instance).

There is now quite a lot of App that are only port app from android and was wondering if you have experienced better performances by using the Android one directly or is it better to use Android app that have been portaged to BB10. Developers point of view is welcome as that will help me to understand fundamental differences between both apps.

Thank you in advance for sharing you experience on this subject.

Kind regards,
    Kal
    06-04-14 05:07 AM
    Android ported apps run on virtualisation feature of BB10 and might sometime wont run or load on your BB10 handset, and native android app are optimised by developers to run on BB10 handset.
    06-04-14 06:39 AM
    It depends on the app. I run the ported version of Poynt over the regular android version. However, android versions tend to get updated more often. The android version of Poynt was updated to include the carousel version of the start screen like what originated on the legacy BB, but wasn't as smooth. So I just stuck with the port for now.

In contrast, I run the regular Android version of the EBay app. The ported one in BBW is almost a year old and the one from Google Play has been updated 4, maybe 5 times since then and has the slightly updated interface to be more in line with newer android OS versions - with the back button integrated into the upper left app icon.

Neither actually runs "better" than the other. I think even the ports still run in a virtualized runtime.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 10:45 AM
    Thank you for your comments that confirm what I kind of guessed.
    Some app get updated more often on android and differences to ported and android might sometime be very little.
    Kal.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 12:30 AM
    Very scarce information on this subject, what is the difference in performance, functionality and stability between the ported app from bb world and sideloaded android app. Is there any advantage in using bb world repackaged android app than android apk. Is there any extra battery drain with either one?
    12-12-17 01:08 PM
    Very scarce information on this subject, what is the difference in performance, functionality and stability between the ported app from bb world and sideloaded android app. Is there any advantage in using bb world repackaged android app than android apk. Is there any extra battery drain with either one?
    At best an Android app on BB World could be optimized for BB10 (or at the very least, tested) by the developer but asides from that assuming the versions are the same there should be no difference as it's still running from the runtime.
    12-12-17 01:53 PM
    At best an Android app on BB World could be optimized for BB10 (or at the very least, tested) by the developer but asides from that assuming the versions are the same there should be no difference as it's still running from the runtime.
    Great gonna try some snap apps then, thanx for the info.
    12-14-17 06:18 AM