Now everyone, i'm going to quote cnet, and yes i know the consequences for actually supporting cnet on crackberry (haha), however they have written for me exactly what i was going to whinge about and then some.

Maps
    Apple's disastrous iOS 6 Maps app made it clear that any operating system worth its salt needs a decent maps application. But BlackBerry 10's offering is so light on features, it's impossible to recommend over rivals.

The maps app is dire, devoid of many of the features Android or iPhone owners have enjoyed for years.
    There's no satellite view, for example, or the ability to put your phone into compass mode to orientate yourself on the map. The maps themselves are sluggish to load, and sometimes didn't load at all, requiring me to force-close and re-open the app. The maps themselves aren't very attractive and can't even be rotated on-screen.

You get driving directions, and the app can display traffic, but it doesn't do walking directions or public transport, which is especially disappointing. The app didn't even do a good job of finding my location, pinning our Z10 down to somewhere between the Houses of Parliament and Tower Bridge -- a huge swathe of London.

The only way to get a comprehensive mapping service on the Z10 is to use Google Maps' mobile site, which obviously isn't ideal. Frankly this dodgy app is reason enough to opt for a rival smart phone over the Z10, so here's hoping BlackBerry gives this application a major overhaul, and soon.

----I have had my z10 for nearly a week now and love it but when i used the maps app (which is a very very important stock app for me on any smartphone) my MIND WAS BLOWN at how terrible it was/is. If blackberry are to come back into the game, they cannot afford to half complete certain things such as a maps app or ANYTHING for that matter.

what does everyone else think? Because i highly doubt anyone will post here claiming the maps app is fine and if they do= big loyalty denial

note: BB maps was even worse on my 9900, i literally think they just ported BB7 maps to BB10..how lazy
    allengeorge and ihys like this.
    03-30-13 12:13 AM
    It'll navigate you to an address, that's all its good for. It won't find restaurants by name on my block that have been opened for 10 years. In fact the search is so bad I refuse to ever try it again. If you know where you're going already and just need navigation, it's fine, anything else and forget about it

Edit: just for fun I searched for mcdonalds, of which there are 4 within 5 miles of here. First result in maps? 300 miles away.
    03-30-13 01:09 AM
    Other people have claimed it is possible to sideload Google Maps. Is this not true?
    03-30-13 02:51 AM
    I guess I'll be the first one in denial. Haha.

Is it short on features? Yes.

Would like to see walking /biking/transit options added.

Does it work for finding my location? Yes, very fast and accurately.

Can it find locations based in search? Yes, very well. Before I posted I tried a number of searches, The Keg, Starbucks, Chapters, Agrocafe, Hospital and it found them all.

Can it navigate to the locations? Yes, I've used this multiple times and it is quick and effective for driving directions.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 03:57 AM
    My BlackBerry Maps experience as been horrible. First off, the search is really bad (actually, pretty useless). I had to attempt to load it 4 times before it actually loaded - it crashed every other time. When it finally loaded it took another couple of tries before it was actually able to generate a route to my destination - it kept complaining about not being able to do this. While it was in the process of navigating it crashed - I only realized when I had to make a turn and noticed that I wasn't getting directions anymore. And, not to mention, suddenly the voice navigation stopped.

Yeah, i'm a bit frustrated. I honestly think that BlackBerry needs to completely rethink their mapping and location based strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by allengeorge; 03-30-13 at 01:50 PM.
    ihys likes this.
    03-30-13 04:07 AM
    Let me help you out. Go here and your problem because solved in less than 4 minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=ptj3bYJqwsI

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 05:39 AM
    Search for Magellin Compass in BB World. Best map app in my opinion.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-30-13 08:01 AM
    It's wierd, I had read all (well, a lot of) the reports / blogs about how terrible the Maps app was, how it was horrible on every level, blah, blah, blah....
    The thing is, I was then forced to use it. So when it found me (practically) instantaniously, found where I wanted to go and could navigate me there, I was actually pretty impressed.

Is it light on features, sure (but to play devil's advocate) but simplicity in technology is often a good thing to start with.
    Does it show you the way from one point to another? Sure
    Isn't that the point? Yes.

If you want a quick and light navigation tool, it's fine.

If you want a navigation tool that'll show how pretty everything around is, it's not for you.

Si.
    03-30-13 08:25 AM
    No issues in mine on searching places.

Yes, it's lacking of features like walking, public transportation, and bus schedules.

No satellite view as well like Google map.

But as a gps for driving, mine works like charm.. it locates where the house exactly is.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    dusdal likes this.
    03-30-13 08:41 AM
    Agreed. It's not perfect but it does the job for me.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    03-30-13 08:45 AM
    Other people have claimed it is possible to sideload Google Maps. Is this not true?
    Got it sideloaded on mine. The gps pinpoints the current location within 1sec, all features work well except when going into the settings, the app is forced close.
    03-30-13 09:39 AM
    I tried the Maps app for the 1st time last night while on the highway, probably wasn't the smartest thing to do on the road but meh. Anyway, it found me on the correct highway and in motion on the map and correctly showed me visual/voice directions to my destination. I just did a couple searches for Wendy's and a Hilton hotel I went to recently and it found all the nearby Wendy's and the Hilton which is about 2 hours away. That's about all I need a map/nav/gps app to do, so yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

sent from my Atari 2600
    dusdal likes this.
    03-30-13 10:57 AM
    I have never used sat view ever! Like mentioned.... it rivals my garmin, but is short on bells and whistles that I don't really need.
    03-30-13 11:06 AM
    GPS Maps for Google Maps Pro now available for download in BB World cost is .99 cents !!!
    03-30-13 11:17 AM
    I'm also trying out Waze and it works well, someone shared an accident that was on my first route so I avoided it, soon after I saw the automatic notifications of slow traffic on the old route.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 11:18 AM
    Not really sure what the complaints are either. I highly doubt BB is going to spend the money to have vehicles drive around at street level so you can "see" the local Starbucks that you are going to. It has worked fine at turn by turn navigation for me. I am sure those with google maps love the bells and whistles. walking directions would be nice but why would google make the app available to BB? Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing but BB maps works great for.me! As disclosure, I have a lot of apps loaded on my Z10 but only use a handful on a regular basis. Most people around me hardly use any apps. Maybe instagram and facebook. It seems some people are unable to function without an overpriced cup of coffee and an app to tell them how much caffeine is in it, how hot it is and how quickly it will induce parastalsis.
    03-30-13 11:26 AM
    Go to blackberry world, In search type "maps". At last check there were over 2000 quality map apps. Pick one and enjoy!
    03-30-13 11:32 AM
    I'm also trying out Waze and it works well, someone shared an accident that was on my first route so I avoided it, soon after I saw the automatic notifications of slow traffic on the old route.

Posted via CB10
    Waze looks great but I couldnt get it to work when not being on WiFi which makes it not very useful
    03-30-13 11:36 AM
    Need BB Traffic ASAP.
    03-30-13 11:39 AM
    BB Maps Needs Some Work!-img_00000232.png

Google maps weblink works for me.

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 likes this.
    03-30-13 11:42 AM
    Me too
    BB Maps Needs Some Work!-img_00000047.png

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 11:47 AM
    If you are on Verizon, the data issue with Android apps does somewhat limit map choices. Hopefully there will be an OS update soon to take care of this.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:34 PM
    It'll navigate you to an address, that's all its good for. It won't find restaurants by name on my block that have been opened for 10 years. In fact the search is so bad I refuse to ever try it again. If you know where you're going already and just need navigation, it's fine, anything else and forget about it

Edit: just for fun I searched for mcdonalds, of which there are 4 within 5 miles of here. First result in maps? 300 miles away.
    Give the McDonald's search a try on Foursquare, it has direct connections to Maps in location and navigation. Lots of options and fast.

Also you can do other POI searches on Foursquare while you are still navigating to you destination with Maps.
    allengeorge likes this.
    03-30-13 12:44 PM
    I a;so really like Nokia Here, which is what I think BB Maps should be more like (i.e. maps + traffic + yelp + orderahead?). Anyways, its url is m.maps.nokia.com
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    03-30-13 01:52 PM
    I a;so really like Nokia Here, which is what I think BB Maps should be more like (i.e. maps + traffic + yelp + orderahead?). Anyways, its url is m.maps.nokia.com
    Awesome. That's even better then Google maps! Thanks for bringing that one to my attention.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 02:05 PM
128 123 ...