A particularly disappointing response from Barclays Bank today.

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay on this update.

Unfortunately, as the results of our latest review have come in, the digital team have informed me that the market share of Blackberry 10 smartphones is not sufficiently high for us to pursue the development of BMB for Blackberry 10 phones currently. We are however constantly reviewing this position and if sales of Blackberry smartphones sufficiently increase in the near future then we may look again at whether we develop this service.

Posted via CB10
    Stwutter likes this.
    10-14-13 08:40 AM
    Yeah, no surprise there really. TBH, this is why we don't have Instagram, etc etc. They're not gonna invest in a phone that doesn't shift any units, and people will steer clear of it for that very reason - catch22. Been waiting for the NatWest app. since I got my Z10 in Feb, but zilch, and not expecting anything either.

Having said that, the Z10 browser is so good, that logging on to my bank is almost as easy at it was with the app. on my Bold 9900, so i don't lose sleep over it.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-14-13 08:47 AM
    I'm sure all companies will look at market share before deciding to make an app but in a weird way it's nice to see they are honest and direct about it instead of some generic "no plans are this time " statement.

Posted by CB10 on a Z10
    1magine likes this.
    10-14-13 08:50 AM
    Yup, I still haven't got banking apps for my banks.
    10-14-13 08:50 AM
    I have my banks app. Honestly i was using the browser before and on the z10 i don't see the need for the app at all. At best it is less than i can do with the website. I don't see the problem with not having an app. Same with websites that have mobile versions instead of apps like the Chive. Why are we looking backwards at this app issue when we should be looking ahead and saying, the future of the cross platform app debate is web based apps that are cross platform and not locked into an proprietary "app store "
    Welcome to the future

Posted via CB10
    now_done likes this.
    10-14-13 09:00 AM
    No surprise!

I also waited for the natwest app which has never arrived (along with a decent eBay app and a couple of others I use daily) so have now sadly given up on blackberry. If an OS doesn't have what the user wants they look elsewhere.

If you don't have apps you are going to struggle in today's world, it's that simple...
    10-14-13 09:07 AM
    I have my banks app. Honestly i was using the browser before and on the z10 i don't see the need for the app at all. At best it is less than i can do with the website. I don't see the problem with not having an app. Same with websites that have mobile versions instead of apps like the Chive. Why are we looking backwards at this app issue when we should be looking ahead and saying, the future of the cross platform app debate is web based apps that are cross platform and not locked into an proprietary "app store "
    Welcome to the future

Posted via CB10
    I do agree with you, but the trouble is people want apps, even if they're not always needed. Whilst my Bank's site is very usable on the Z10's browser, it's not as easy as the app. on my 9900. On that, you got a 4 digit PIN code, and that's all you needed. If it's raining, I'm walking and I need to find out how poor I am, I have enter 3 digit from my PIN, and 3 from my password, and obviously need to pinch/zoom to do so, and then again to see the account once I'm in.

Under normal circumstances, no problem, but the app is easier, regardless of how good the browser maybe.
    theflew likes this.
    10-14-13 09:14 AM
    No surprise!

I also waited for the natwest app which has never arrived (along with a decent eBay app and a couple of others I use daily) so have now sadly given up on blackberry. If an OS doesn't have what the user wants they look elsewhere.

If you don't have apps you are going to struggle in today's world, it's that simple...
    Fair enough, altho' I have no issue with the EBay app. (which I think is ported).

I have a BBZ10, and it doesn't ruin my life, missing a few 'key' apps. Yes, ideally I'd like certain app's that I'm missing, but I also wouldn't want to miss out on the BB10 OS experience, and settle for, in my opinion, a sub-standard Android/Apple experience.

Horses for courses tho.
    10-14-13 09:17 AM
    For me - it was the ease of access to my account without a lot of pinch and zoom & password galore.

I would be more than happy if the mobile site was compatible.

As you said - everyone has different wants.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 09:21 AM
    I do agree with you, but the trouble is people want apps, even if they're not always needed. Whilst my Bank's site is very usable on the Z10's browser, it's not as easy as the app. on my 9900. On that, you got a 4 digit PIN code, and that's all you needed. If it's raining, I'm walking and I need to find out how poor I am, I have enter 3 digit from my PIN, and 3 from my password, and obviously need to pinch/zoom to do so, and then again to see the account once I'm in.

Under normal circumstances, no problem, but the app is easier, regardless of how good the browser maybe.
    Right, a well designed mobile website can provide all the same convince as a download application. Why are we asking for apps because we think we need them, when the developers should be focusing on providing web based solutions for all platforms web based. Who is benefiting from having developers develop for separate platforms?

Posted via CB10
    craigthomas11 and togarika like this.
    10-14-13 09:28 AM
    Right, a well designed mobile website can provide all the same convince as a download application. Why are we asking for apps because we think we need them, when the developers should be focusing on providing web based solutions for all platforms web based. Who is benefiting from having developers develop for separate platforms?

Posted via CB10
    Apps are more secure than accessing your bank's site from the browser
    10-14-13 10:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    As I said, the app. IS easier. Regardless of whether to website should be designed for mobile use better or not, the app. works quicker than logging on via the web page. Whilst this remains the same, people will want apps.
    10-14-13 10:14 AM
    Was told that months back by Barclays, all their app's worked on my 9520 then upgraded to Z10 nothing works now, BT are the same
    10-14-13 10:22 AM
    What is ironic about all of this is that some app. clients are great. The BB10 Twitter app. is chronic, but Blaq is brilliant (since it's updates made it smoother), and better than any actual Twitter app. I've tried, Blackberry or not.
    10-14-13 10:25 AM
    Straightforward, honest answer from Barclays. We all get periodic reports on OS marketshare and make our decisions based on those trends.
    10-14-13 10:42 AM
    Pftt :/ great new just my luck! :@ ****ty barclays crap!! :@

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:43 AM
    Really? Got citations to back up this blanket statement?
    10-14-13 10:49 AM
    Really? Got citations to back up this blanket statement?
    It really depends on the bank. Most of us are on our second or third generation of bank apps. Some, but not all, are taking advantage already of better security options available to native apps versus the browser.

And then of course you'll see apps doing more deposit capture (which is clunky and unsafe in the browser), and NFC payments, peer to peer transfers, check splitting, and all these sorts of functions which probably won't be on the websites.
    10-14-13 10:56 AM
    In my experience the opposite is true... I would struggle if I had to be forced into using an app. I don't necessarily want to be locked into a situation where I have to rely on apps to perform basic tasks. I used my banking website on my Z10 and compared this to the functionality and UI on my BlackBerry Curve for which there is an app. The online banking experience using a browser was considerably better than the phone app, had full functionality and resembled the experience on my PC so no learning curve to get to know way around an app.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur and now_done like this.
    10-14-13 11:12 AM
    At least they were honest and didnt dance around the question
    10-14-13 11:54 AM
    some times i think that why bb is not being supported
    10-14-13 12:29 PM
    Yeah, no surprise there really. TBH, this is why we don't have Instagram, etc etc. They're not gonna invest in a phone that doesn't shift any units, and people will steer clear of it for that very reason - catch22. Been waiting for the NatWest app. since I got my Z10 in Feb, but zilch, and not expecting anything either.

Having said that, the Z10 browser is so good, that logging on to my bank is almost as easy at it was with the app. on my Bold 9900, so i don't lose sleep over it.
    I had the same situation with my bank, but the mobile site on my z10 work like a charm,
    10-14-13 12:30 PM
    Yup, I still haven't got banking apps for my banks.
    well, I'm just missing one, the other 2 the android port are working like a charm,
    10-14-13 12:32 PM
    I do agree with you, but the trouble is people want apps,
    in the context of mobile banking those people are the mindless majority (the masses) look at my signature to have a idea,
    10-14-13 12:36 PM
    not totally true if you know what you doing,
    like I said, the masses are mindless and "need apps"
    10-14-13 12:46 PM
71 123