07-24-14 11:33 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    WHile this is a great app as I can backup to the cloud, I cannot backup to the SD card. It shows it is backing up and I can see when it is finished at which point I hit the "close" button. I go back to check and there is no backup in my SD card. I hit the restore button hoping a backup would show but no go. I reset my Q10 and looked and again there was no backup on my sd card. I deleted the app and downloaded it again and still the same problem. Might be something dumb I am doing. I emailed the developer for help.

I got a fast response from the developer:

Yes some SD cards have a problem with BlackBerry 10 and need to be formatted with FAT32 on a computer before they will work properly. Do a search for "BlackBerry 10 guiformat" on Google for more information about the issue.

Check the SD card with your file manager. The backup is there.‎ If you want you can move it from /backups on the SD card to /misc/backups in internal memory. Then log into internal storage on the app.
    Last edited by barbarianthemadserb; 06-06-14 at 05:48 AM. Reason: vendor response
    FireChestApps likes this.
    06-06-14 05:33 AM
    Although a bit pricey as apps go, I would have no problem with that if the word substitution list could be backed up. Is there any possibility this will be added in the future?

As for Android apps, all those installed with Snap are saved to my SD card as APKs, so if Link only restores data on those, that's fine (although with OS upgrades via OTA or leaks, I always start clean).

Z10 - 10.2.1.2941 (3175/3140)
    06-06-14 05:53 AM
    It's not currently possible - I have checked twice over the last few months. But there is no reason why BlackBerry wouldn't open this up at some point in the future. As soon as it is you can bet we will be implementing it.

Posted via CB10
    jevinzac, bruce73 and Ben1232 like this.
    06-06-14 07:36 AM
    It's not currently possible - I have checked twice over the last few months. But there is no reason why BlackBerry wouldn't open this up at some point in the future. As soon as it is you can bet we will be implementing it.

Posted via CB10
    man, u r great, one of the best dev for BB10, dont ever leave us

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    06-06-14 07:43 AM
    How do we access Box for back-ups?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure exactly what you mean. If you want to backup to Box, simply tap the title bar of the "Sign-in" screen and a menu will slide down. Select "Box". Then press the sign-in button. This will transfer you to the Box servers to authenticate.

If you are already signed-in to, for example the SD card, then simply swipe down from the top edge of the screen and select "Sign-out" to return to the "Sign-in" screen. Then go ahead and tap the title bar etc...
    CMcRob likes this.
    06-07-14 09:52 AM
    Got it now, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 09:57 AM
    For those asking SMS backup should be available in about 2 weeks.

Posted via CB10
    jevinzac likes this.
    06-07-14 10:02 PM
    Thanks to the 200+ users of Backup Pro and 100+ users of Usage Pro* for your support.

Here is a sneak peek at an early prototype of the new app to manage bookmarks and provide an offline (cached) reading list function. 100% native of course. And you wont lose your bookmarks in between phone wipes.

The bookmarks can optionally appear within the native browser too (using a novel workaround).

Once we have the basic functionality sorted we can expand in various directions, such as the ability to rip YouTube video to MP4 or FLV files. Let your imagination run wild and lets build another great app together. Please let me know your ideas.

Backup Pro(App) is awesome!-img_20140612_024102.png

---
    * Usage Pro is getting a major overhaul and an update will release in the next few days.
    jevinzac likes this.
    06-11-14 12:00 PM
    Yay! CrackBerry has done a great article on the ins and outs of "Backup Pro".

Thanks Alicia.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:15 PM
    First, congratulations on the front page review.

Now for a few questions. I grabbed the Pro version today. I attempted to backup to BOX. Logged in without problem. I selected Calendar and Contacts. Took quite a while but finally did NOT complete the backup. I then tried just Contacts. That worked. Tried just Calendar, again a long interval but then it failed. Tried Remember, also did not work. I logged out and logged into Dropbox. Rather than over do it, I selected Contacts and it worked as did Remember and then Calendar (which does take quite a while). So it appears that I was having problems with Box. Any ideas?

Next question, when I back up Contacts, I find a few extra Contacts in the archive, older entries that I have deleted. At least 3 or 4 such extras appear. I've searched the Contacts app and checked "links" etc but can't find these older entries. The reason this is an issue is that I am trying various methods of cleaning up my Contacts. Dupes and Linked items that I don't want. I just want single entries for my various Contacts. Is there some Contact "cache" where older, supposedly deleted items are still present that Backup Pro finds?

Thanks for any answers.

I should close by saving the older FREE version saved my bacon today. I had tried cleaning as indicated and used Verizon's services. I lost nearly 200 contacts and was left with FOUR!!! I had backup with the older version yesterday and was able to recover my contacts along with a number of those "hidden" dupes. Still weeding through things. But it really worked.

edited to add: Just one more question that might be beyond the normal scope of things. Could I create my own "archive" with just a few vcard files and restore it using Backup Pro? I see a Contacts.VCF file which appears to contain all/some/most of the other contacts in it. Is that a necessary file? What I'm really after is that I have a number of COUPLES where I have joe/mary smith and then their combined info. I was thinking if I copied/duped a vcard and then easily only edited some info in each, I could separate those marrieds/couples!
    Last edited by F2; 06-16-14 at 11:30 PM.
    06-16-14 11:05 PM
    Thanks for the feedback!

I am not sure what was going on with Box. Is anyone else here having similar problems?

With regards to contacts, I am not sure how those extra contacts are coming about and will have to investigate. But you can do some interesting stuff with your contacts using Backup Pro, such as edit the Zip file prior to a restore and perhaps weed out those extra contacts. Let me explain.

Backup Pro makes two separate backups of contacts within the same Zip file. A full set of contacts is contained in a single file named "contacts.vcf". When restoring, this is the file that is read from and it results in a blazing fast restore. Note that backups made with previous versions of Backup Pro will not contain this file.

A second full set of contacts is created as a set of individual vcf files, one for each contact. This is a remnant of the previous backup/restore method and has been kept as it has advantages when it comes to mass editing your contacts prior to a restore or even just splitting up contacts for transfer to other devices and ecosystems. Backup Pro will only use these individual contacts when restoring if the "contacts.vcf" file is missing, such as when restoring from a backup made with a previous version or if you deliberately remove the "contacts.vcf" file from the Zip file. The only disadvantage is that the restore is slower.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-16-14 11:26 PM
    Good to hear that the old Fire Chest Backup is so useful. Everybody needs this app.

I am also releasing a trial version of Usage Pro as a bar file tonight or tomorrow for the general public to test and give feedback. It's equivalent to the upcoming version that will be released to BlackBerry World in a week or two.

I have gone to great lengths to isolate the bugs plaguing the app, and I am wary of releasing any further updates until the app is tested thoroughly.

It also gives users a chance to use the app and decide if it's what they want. Will be an interesting approach to marketing the app.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and Ben1232 like this.
    06-16-14 11:37 PM
    Thanks for that info. So, I guess the bottom line is that I could tweak the "backup" file(s) and possibly do what I want to separate COUPLES into individual entries. And I further guess that if I screw it up, too much, I can just restore it using the original backup zip file(s).

One question leads to another. Can I move files from the Cloud to the sd card and use them from there? I guess I need to know what folder they go in. Time for another backup to the sdcard!

Hmmm. It backed up Remember to "backups" but it does not seem to want to RESTORE that or the other files I just copied there. I will throw in my potential answer for the missing backups. Even the Remember ones I just did do NOT show up. I have a feeling this is similar/related to the fact that photos saved to my 64gig card disappear and do not show up for a day or two - some kind of possible indexing issue. Don't know if it is the Sandisk card or the OS with 64gig cards or something else. So, this might not be Backup Pro's issue??? I wonder if there's anything you can do in the app to REFRESH and renew the look at folders.

I did a backup to Internal Memory (saved in misc/backups) and moving files there, they are found.
    Last edited by F2; 06-17-14 at 12:45 AM.
    06-17-14 12:21 AM
    Yes you can tweak the contact backup (Zip file) to your liking. Remember to keep the original handy just incase you encounter a problem or make a mistake.

Yes you can move the backup files between cloud, SD card, and internal memory and they will restore fine. I will add the default directories to the help screen of the next update and in a later update add the ability to change the default directories as per one user's request. They are currently:

SD card: /backups/
    Internal storage: /misc/backups/

The problem you are experiencing with the invisible files on the SD card is fixed by formatting the SD card in FAT32 with a PC. There is a utility discussed in the CrackBerry forums called "guiformat.exe" that has been recommended.

Did you manage to do a successful backup to Box?
    06-17-14 02:06 PM
    Yes you can tweak the contact backup (Zip file) to your liking. Remember to keep the original handy just incase you encounter a problem or make a mistake.

Yes you can move the backup files between cloud, SD card, and internal memory and they will restore fine. I will add the default directories to the help screen of the next update and in a later update add the ability to change the default directories as per one user's request. They are currently:

SD card: /backups/
    Internal storage: /misc/backups/

The problem you are experiencing with the invisible files on the SD card is fixed by formatting the SD card in FAT32 with a PC. There is a utility discussed in the CrackBerry forums called "guiformat.exe" that has been recommended.

Did you manage to do a successful backup to Box?
    Well, actually, this 64gig WAS formatted with guiformat. So, there's still something at play - but NOT your app. (as an aside, I will have to find the time (hours/days) to back up the 64 gigs, try formatting under the new OS and restore my data)

Did not try Box again, but just initiated it. So I will see - remember went fast and completed. Is the Calendar aspect more complex, therefore, slow? Or just my number of entries? We shall see ....

The current directories are fine but folks always like options. But, yes, telling folks where the files get stored could be helpful.

Regarding copying or creating new vcard files, I see that part of their names includes a unique tag/number/identifier. Does it make any difference if some of them are the same or made up or can I just create one called "f2.vcf" ?

Bank Amer_id23_2014-06-16_10-15-07-499.vcf
    Bartell Drug Wallinford_id25_2014-06-16_10-15-07-499.vcf
    Carter Subaru_id34_2014-06-16_10-15-07-499.vcf

Again, I want to copy one with:

john-mary smith xxxxxx.vcf

and make two out of it. One for john and another for Mary but not have to enter it all into the Contact app and do a bunch of copy/paste editing.

And, again, thanks for the support.
    06-17-14 02:34 PM
    Oh, another question - does Backup Pro have to be in full screen running mode or can it be a reduced frame? I see it keeps the screen alive during its entire process - no standby?

Oh, Calendar on BOX finished today.

edited to add: Okay, I did my experimental "couples divorce" and it worked in the main. I edited 3 vcards for 3 couples into 6 vcards as individuals. Zipped them up, put them on box and then restored from that zip. Added my new folks. I did need a bit of tweaking of their respective First Names but that was all.
    Last edited by F2; 06-17-14 at 03:38 PM.
    06-17-14 02:41 PM
    Yes you need to give the contact a unique "id" as the app parses this number and it's used internally by the contact app. Then just tack on the same date/time (time includes milliseconds at the end) to buffer the right-ward end of the name with a fixed number of characters.

Regarding "running in a reduced frame", two things reduce processor time assigned to the app:

1. Screen turns off.
    2. App is minimised.

We have dealt with the first problem by forcing the screen to stay awake. The second problem will be solved when the app goes headless for scheduling.

Also I posted a new thread with screen shots on an app called "Bookmark Pro" that will keep your browser bookmarks safe amongst some other features. Again a must-have app.
    06-17-14 07:40 PM
    Hi; also for me backup to box is not working.
    06-21-14 04:53 AM
    I'm wondering if we need to delete and reinstall to get the option for Box?

And was there a possibility of Mega being in the works?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:19 AM
    Probably you just need to swipe down and log off for the box backup option.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-21-14 08:26 AM
    I'm wondering if we need to delete and reinstall to get the option for Box?

And was there a possibility of Mega being in the works?

Posted via CB10
    I can confirm that there is an issue with uploading to Box. It's happening to me too. I can see my backups and restore, but upload isn't working. I have contacted Box support and am auditing the app to work out what's gone wrong.

Won't take long to sort out.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and CMcRob like this.
    06-22-14 11:07 AM
    Another issue that will be fixed is the lack of line breaks when exporting Remember notes as text files.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-23-14 12:55 AM
    Everyone please remember to contact support by email if you are having any difficulties with the app. Please do this BEFORE you leave negative feedback in BlackBerry World as most issues are quite easily solved.

I have added a video demonstration of the app to the BlackBerry World description which should help most people understand exactly why this app is so special and how it works.

Last edited by FireChestDotCom; 06-24-14 at 01:12 PM.
    06-23-14 11:32 PM
    Question - have you considered having the BACKUP BUTTON in a FIXED location at the top so you do not have to scroll to the bottom of the list to execute it? In other words the scrolling list would, well, scroll, but the Button would always be visible. Although, I can see folks inadvertently hitting it??
    06-24-14 01:07 PM
    Yes, the current paradigm was inherited from Fire Chest Backup where the list isn't that long. I will play with a few ideas.

Meanwhile check the demonstration video again - it's been updated. Much better.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-24-14 01:15 PM
101 ... 2345