Does it backup text messages? Didn't see that in the description.
    It's in the works to be able to Backup SMS / MMS, Support for contact groups,One-click contacts cleaner, Headless scheduled backups and WebDAV support.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    04-12-14 12:09 PM
    If one wants to choose to back up only local storage ONLY is there an option like that?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 12:43 PM
    If one wants to choose to back up only local storage ONLY is there an option like that?

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is already built in to the app.
    04-12-14 02:07 PM
    Where's the option?

Backup Pro(App) is awesome!-img_20140412_222026.png
    Backup Pro(App) is awesome!-img_20140412_222015.png

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 03:20 PM
    This looks promising. I have Fire chest Backup. But the only back up location option is Dropbox. I like the SD card backup option in this app, and may try it out.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 03:54 PM
    I had Firechest and backed up remember. The other day I had to restore my phone and did so using back up pro.

The contacts restore worked. The remember restore did not.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 04:00 PM
    Here is the link for Fire Chest Backup, the light version of Backup Pro.
    - BlackBerry World
    I get an error - at least, when using the computer.

" Unknown item The requested item does not exist or is not available. (EC )"
    04-12-14 04:06 PM
    Looks like great app. Unfortunately it still can't back up the only things I need � browser and map bookmarks, plus auto text entries. Otherwise I'd grab this in a second.
    Same here.

The critical differentiator for a backup utility to me is not backing-up plain files anyone can easily backup themselves via mass storage or SD card.

What is necessary - because Link is so limited now compared to legacy Desktop Manager - is an ability to backup proprietary databases that are not easily accessible to the user ie via regular file management utilities, and then be able to selectively restore them. (Rather than the "all or nothing" approach of Link.)

Examples:

1. Contacts
    2. SMS (including MMS/images)
    3. Email (ie sent messages on non-syncing accounts)
    4. Calendar items
    5. Remember notes
    6. Browser configuration / bookmarks
    7. Word dictionaries

3rd-party apps already exist for 1, 2, 3. They either don't exist or aren't particularly reliable for the rest.

Heart's desire: 3rd-party app data on a per-app basis, including Android apps. Yeah, I know... that one's a pipe-dream.
    04-12-14 07:41 PM
    Same here.

The critical differentiator for a backup utility to me is not backing-up plain files anyone can easily backup themselves via mass storage or SD card.

What is necessary - because Link is so limited now compared to legacy Desktop Manager - is an ability to backup proprietary databases that are not easily accessible to the user ie via regular file management utilities, and then be able to selectively restore them. (Rather than the "all or nothing" approach of Link.)

Examples:

1. Contacts
    4. Calendar items
    5. Remember notes
    7. Word dictionaries

3rd-party apps already exist for 1, 2, 3. They either don't exist or aren't particularly reliable for the rest.

Heart's desire: 3rd-party app data on a per-app basis, including Android apps. Yeah, I know... that one's a pipe-dream.
    BlackBerry Link does a backup of android apps!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 07:43 PM
    BlackBerry Link does a backup of android apps!

Only if they were installed via BlackBerry World.

Otherwise, if you sideloaded or used an app like Snap to install Android apps, my understanding was that it did a backup of some Android app data, but not the apps themselves.
    04-12-14 08:22 PM
    I'd love the android app and data back up option if it was available.

For Calendar, using Gmail/Outlook/etc., works well.
    For Remember - I installed Evernote and make sure all my Remember items are synced via Evernote.

Getting an app for backing up the browser is something that I'd love to see.

Backing up BBM would also be nice!

Same here.

Examples:

1. Contacts
    4. Calendar items
    5. Remember notes
    7. Word dictionaries

04-12-14 08:41 PM

For Remember - I installed Evernote and make sure all my Remember items are synced via Evernote.

Backing up BBM would also be nice!
    BBM is already backed up using your BBID

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:00 AM
    Oh when I checked for it a few days back, it wasn't available

Posted via CB10
    It's already taken down from the list of apps, i'm using the share option from the installed apps in BlackBerry World, thankfully it's still there.
    04-13-14 02:34 AM
    If someone comes up with a PC based total backup (OS & all) to a file, i'm in.. lol :-)

akawarrior..
    Last edited by akawarrior; 04-13-14 at 04:09 AM.
    04-13-14 03:30 AM
    Lol we can dream, very unlikely an api will be released for such :/

Posted via CB10
    akawarrior likes this.
    04-13-14 03:46 AM

Of course you can "sync things to the cloud". But the reason I don't rely on that is:

1. Reliability
    2. Privacy/security

Re: #1, the contacts architecture on BB10 is hopelessly messed-up and as a result, syncing to cloud entities is unreliable at best. (As is syncing locally to Outlook etc, because a bunch of functionality is missing compared even to the old BBOS devices and desktop software.)

Re: #2, I am not interested in giving my confidential personal data in bulk to 3rd-party repositories, especially ones I do not pay money to. When I finally get off my rear and deploy my own private cloud PIM syncing infrastructure, I can sync it there. (In the case of contacts, that assumes that BlackBerry some day fixes BB10's horribly broken contacts architecture/database. I'm not holding my breath.)
    FireChestApps likes this.
    04-13-14 06:01 PM
    I would love to have a feature to backup BlackBerry contacts app, cuz I can't have 2 BBM with a BlackBerry ID which is crazy since that means I can't use two BlackBerry's! So I can't get my contacts from one BlackBerry ID to another.

Posted via Z30
    04-17-14 10:10 PM
    I would love to have a feature to backup BlackBerry contacts app, cuz I can't have 2 BBM with a BlackBerry ID which is crazy since that means I can't use two BlackBerry's! So I can't get my contacts from one BlackBerry ID to another.

Yeah, I wish they would do something about that limit of one BBM account per BBID. You can have multiple active devices per BBID, but only one BBM identity per BBID. Really silly.
    04-18-14 02:49 AM
    Yeah, I wish they would do something about that limit of one BBM account per BBID. You can have multiple active devices per BBID, but only one BBM identity per BBID. Really silly.
    Was this restriction there before? I thought this was implemented since BBM went cross-platform!? If not then what was BlackBerry thinking? Why can't a person use 2 BlackBerry's and 2 BBM, atleast it could work out as one for personal, and the other for work?

Posted via Z30
    04-18-14 05:25 AM
    Was this restriction there before? I thought this was implemented since BBM went cross-platform!? If not then what was BlackBerry thinking? Why can't a person use 2 BlackBerry's and 2 BBM, atleast it could work out as one for personal, and the other for work?

Well first let me say that I'm a relatively recent BBM user - only started using it last year.

That said - I believe BBM has always been PIN-based - meaning a BBM account is tied to a specific device because the PIN was always device-specific with Blackberries.

BBID came later - and while they allowed you to have multiple devices per BBID - they never changed the "One PIN to one BBM account" limit.

With non-BlackBerry devices, when you install/signup for BBM, you get a PIN assigned to you at that that time. I don't know if the PIN is locked to something unique to a specific device, but I assume it's portable. I don't know for sure.

You can use BBM on 2 BlackBerries - but you have to setup 2 BBIDs to do it.

One reason I don't like that is because I can no longer share BlackBerry-World purchased apps between all devices under a BBID.

And it's a bit of a bookeeping hassle, having to maintain separate accounts and email addresses for each BBID.
    04-18-14 07:39 PM
    BBM is already backed up using your BBID

Posted via CB10
    I meant I wished there was a way to back-up BBM chat history and attachments. Even selecting the save chat history does nothing for me if I do a fresh install. Only a nondestructive OTA update will keep my chats.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    04-20-14 01:32 PM
    I meant I wished there was a way to back-up BBM chat history and attachments. Even selecting the save chat history does nothing for me if I do a fresh install. Only a nondestructive OTA update will keep my chats.
    This ^^^! I still have a hard time believing that BBM does not have this functionality built in though a reliable third-party app would be nice as well.
    04-22-14 05:07 AM
    Well first let me say that I'm a relatively recent BBM user - only started using it last year.

That said - I believe BBM has always been PIN-based - meaning a BBM account is tied to a specific device because the PIN was always device-specific with Blackberries.

BBID came later - and while they allowed you to have multiple devices per BBID - they never changed the "One PIN to one BBM account" limit.

With non-BlackBerry devices, when you install/signup for BBM, you get a PIN assigned to you at that that time. I don't know if the PIN is locked to something unique to a specific device, but I assume it's portable. I don't know for sure.

You can use BBM on 2 BlackBerries - but you have to setup 2 BBIDs to do it.

One reason I don't like that is because I can no longer share BlackBerry-World purchased apps between all devices under a BBID.

And it's a bit of a bookeeping hassle, having to maintain separate accounts and email addresses for each BBID.
    Yup, I hate this! Hope BlackBerry will do something about this!

Posted via Z30
    04-22-14 06:24 AM
    This ^^^! I still have a hard time believing that BBM does not have this functionality built in though a reliable third-party app would be nice as well.
    I hope the developer of this app, can solve the issue. Please can u people ask him to ad this feature also?

Posted via Z30
    04-22-14 07:39 AM
    Looks as if the free version which they still reference on their webpage is gone from BBWorld.

Fire Chest Backup
    This is the pro version of Firechest backup from the Fire chest series. It looks like he is taking Firechest out of the app names.

The dev is Sasha Kanthan

Fire chest backup that was once free is now $0.99, if you downloaded it already before then you don't have to pay the $0.99 now except now you are missing a lot of the features it use to have. He also took a lot of features out of the $0.99 (Fire Chest Backup) version and put them into the $4.99 (Backup Pro) version.
    He just got greedy I guess :P

once leaks start popping up I will probably get the pro version though lol
    04-22-14 11:48 AM
101 1234 ...