07-10-14 08:27 AM
27 12
tools
    Hey Everyone,

I've just released an update to my new application - Media Blast. It's an application that allows you to stream your movies, television shows, music and more from a media server of your choice. Checkout this demo video.

Some other key features are:
    - Transferring videos to your device for free
    - Keeps track of what you have watched and what you haven't, even if you are in the middle of a video
    - Use as a remote control through the "Play On" feature. This feature is still in beta and improvements are coming.

Here are some screenshots:

The free trial allows you to connect to your media server to set up your TV shows and movies, listen to music, view images, and watch the first 5 minutes of all videos. A one-time $5 fee unlocks the 5-minute limit and allows use of the "Play On" feature.

See more info at: https://sites.google.com/site/mediablastapp/

Download from BlackBerry World at: Media Blast - BlackBerry World
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-17-13 10:10 AM
    DAMN that is pretty impressive!!!! Did you get BFB for it?
    12-17-13 01:15 PM
    Not yet - I wanted to concentrate on features before putting time into all the little BFB details.

*Update: Now Built for BlackBerry*
    Last edited by MediaBlastApp; 05-30-14 at 08:47 AM.
    12-17-13 02:06 PM
    Impressive. I hope the mods do a write up on your solution...
    12-17-13 03:30 PM
    There was a forum post 2 weeks ago: Streaming made easy with Media Blast for BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

But James even mentioned that he wasn't a media server guy, and they didn't post a link to my youtube video or website.
    12-17-13 03:48 PM
    Hey Everyone,

In celebration of my new baby you can now unlock all features of Media Blast for 60% OFF for a limited time. It's a DLNA client with a stunning interface.

Media Blast - DLNA Client - BlackBerry World

NEW FEATURES:
    ✯ Personalize the experience by selecting fan art and banners of your choice
    ✯ Display cast and provide a quick way to search for an actor on IMDb
    ✯ The free trial now includes 3 attempts to use the "Play On" feature

KEY FEATURES:
    ✯ Provides an easy-to-use interface to watch all of your favorite TV shows and movies
    ✯ Alphabetically organizes your movies and sorts TV shows by series and season
    ✯ Keeps track of what you have watched and what you haven't, even if you are in the middle of a video
    ✯ Quickly access recently-watched TV shows and movies, filter by genre, or search your media library to find what you want to watch, fast
    ✯ Displays images, description, genre, release date, directors and more
    ✯ Easily transfers videos from your media server to your device for on-the-go viewing
    ✯ Support for multiple media servers (connect to a friend's server without losing your data)

COMING SOON:
    ✯ SRT support for subtitles
    ✯ Enhancements to browsing music and images

Awesome video streaming application is here - Media Blast-img_00000208.png

Awesome video streaming application is here - Media Blast-17.png

Awesome video streaming application is here - Media Blast-18.png
    02-14-14 03:29 PM
    Sorry, if this seems tacky - I'm a bottom line kind of purchaser - how much will this cost to get all of its features?
    02-14-14 05:35 PM
    Regular price $4.99 - for a limited time $1.99
    02-14-14 06:15 PM
    Congrats on the new baby.
    02-14-14 06:52 PM
    Thank you!
    02-15-14 03:43 PM
    Love the way the AP looks and what not however I"m wondering if you can shed some light on how well this can integrate with Windows Home Server 2011
    05-01-14 12:24 PM
    Great work!!
    05-01-14 12:28 PM
    Sweet looking app!
    Might consider

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 12:58 PM
    Unfortunately Windows Media Player (and I can only assume Windows Home Server) require an additional check when connecting to them over DLNA. Media Blast has not implemented this additional check yet, however, I do plan on figuring this out in the near future (you are not the first to ask).

Keep an eye out for updates.

*Update: Just released a new version that works with Windows Media Player and Windows Home Server*
    Last edited by MediaBlastApp; 05-30-14 at 08:46 AM.
    05-01-14 07:58 PM
    Unable to download this app. Network is ok and tested.

Awesome video streaming application is here - Media Blast-img_20140502_072029.png

Z10 STL 100-1 ON 10.2.1.2273 -10.3 BROWSER AND SETTINGS.
    05-01-14 08:51 PM
    It looks like there may be a connection problem with BlackBerry World since the images are not loading properly (it's working for me).

Try 2 things:
    1. Within BlackBerry World select Settings -> General -> Refresh BlackBerry World
    2. Switch from Wifi to Radio (3G) or visa-versa

If that doesn't work, then I would try again tomorrow.
    05-01-14 08:55 PM
    Is there anyway to choose between multiple audio tracks?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 08:29 AM
    Not yet - however I am actively working on this. As well as MKV support. Stay tuned.
    05-30-14 08:37 AM
    New version of Media Blast was just released! Get it now - all features are 40% off.

Updates since my last post include:

✯ Compatible with Windows! Stream all your media directly from windows. Just turn on Media Sharing within Windows Media Player.
    ✯ Added SRT subtitle support (subtitles need to be copied to the device)
    ✯ Movies & TV Show descriptions will match your device's language
    ✯ Added translations for German & French
    ✯ Added volume control to "Play On" (works with XBMC etc)
    ✯ Works with Windows Home Server

Checkout this (rather long) feature video.
    05-30-14 08:45 AM
    I really like the look and feel of the app but it seems to only use the standard native apps for playback which makes it a bit useless for me. Only a small percentage of the media I tried played back at all.

I tried a android dlna browser and it works perfect in combination with mxplayer or Vlc. But the browser itself is terrible

Please support thirdparty playback apps in the future.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 03:36 PM
    Hey Sonic - that is a good idea - I'll take a look at how Android / BB apps register themselves as a Player.

I noticed that you made a post on the XBMC forum:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...47/index6.html

Even though Media Blast currently uses the "BlackBerry Media Player" under the hood, you can still select and hold on a TV Show or Movie and select 'Play On'. This will allow you to start playing any video on XMBC. I still need to add the ability to seek etc - but it's a start.

05-30-14 03:55 PM
    After that post i tried your app again and now i have far less problems with playback than before.
    Well i changed my dlna server or well i setup another one directly on my nas (twonkey), before i used the one integrated in my htpc.
    Well there are still problems with my more exotic files (small encoded mp4/mkv, including subtitles and special audio codecs) but many of the more common files play fine.
    Great to hear you will look into third party playback.

btw i have a few other ideas / questions:
    At the moment the movie search routine seems to only search in root of the selected folder, not beyond that. I have my dlna server configured to display my raw folder structure directly from my nas and i have movies in two different folders, then in a folder for the category (thriller, animation, ...) and sometimes even in another folder with the name of the movie. Would it be possible to let the app also search the sub folders automaticly?

The other thing is Audio support, the app plays all my audio files fine if i browse through the folders, it evens plays my m4b audiobooks. Great if i want to listen to somethign at home but dont want to sync the files to device first and dont want to turn ony my htpc/notebook/pc.
    But at the moment it seems to be only possible to play one file at a time, it would be great to add playlist support so you can add single files or even folders to play them in the row.
    And if you add support for audio a play in background option would be nice, so the music continues to play while you are able to search for the next track to play.

PS: there is no 5 min playback limit on audio files dont know if this is intended or not.
    05-30-14 04:14 PM
    Great app. Had some playback issues using plex server over my wifi. Says unspported. I thought plex would transcode it to something the phone can play? All my movies are 1080p mkv files.

Purchased anyway!

EDIT: didn't read. i think this is coming?

EDIT 2: also, does it go back in and look for new movies/shows? or do i have to go in and manually rescan my media folder?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xACiD; 05-30-14 at 05:39 PM.
    05-30-14 05:22 PM
    @ Sonic - I'm glad to hear that you gave it another try and it's mostly working for you.

As for scanning sub-folders automatically. I purposely did not add this functionality, as many movies or TV shows have multiple folders within the main folder and managing that would be tricky. You can however scan another folder by selecting from the drop down menu "Television Shows -> Add TV Shows". Multiple folder scans is allowed

As for your comments on Music - Currently Media Blast concentrates on providing a top quality TV Show and Movie watching experience. I added the ability to listen to music and look at your images as an added bonus. That's why it's currently free to listen to music. I do plan on improving this experience though, much like I have for videos. Stay tuned!
    06-01-14 10:22 PM
    @ xACiD - yes, MKV support is coming. Media Blast currently uses the built in Media Player component provided by BlackBerry. Unfortunately they lack a couple of key audio codecs common in many MKV files.

Currently you need to go back in and re-scan for new Movies or TV Shows (automatic scan is on my future feature list). It ignores any folders that are currently mapped properly, so the process should be fast. You do not need to do anything for television episodes.
    06-01-14 10:28 PM
27 12