Anybody have word an a player for audible.com (amazon) books?

(And please dear gods, let it be better than the BBOS version. Of course, ANYTHING would be better than that steaming pile of... )
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-01-13 09:50 PM
    I contacted Audible support and received this response:
    Dear Marc,

Thank you for contacting Audible! My name is Ioanna and I am happy to help you today.

I understand you wish to know when Audible will be releasing an app for the new Blackberry 10. After speaking with our technical team, I was notified that we still do not have any information from our developers as to when they will begin researching for the development of this particular app. Unfortunately, that is all the information I have at this time.

If I can do anything else for you, please don't hesitate to contact us. Please feel free to call our Customer Care at 1-888-283-5051 (USA & Canada), (US Country Code) 1-973-820-0400 (International) or simply reply to this email. We are here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thanks again for being an Audible member! We appreciate your business. Happy Listening!

Sincerely,
    Ioanna

Audible Customer Support
    02-02-13 09:55 AM
    We may be seeing signs of progress here. A subsequent request and following exchange:

[quote]

Question: Hi there,

I was wondering when Audible/amazon plans to make an Audible player available for BlackBerry 10?

Currently I have credits accumulating but no way to use them - because my BB10 device can't play them back, and I don't listen to audiobooks while I'm sitting at the computer. If there are no plans and I can't find an alternative way to play these files, I may need to cancel my subscription - currently it's wasted money.
    [quote]

Reply 1:
    Hi Marc,

Thank you for contacting Audible!

I understand you would like to verify when we will have a compatible software for the Balckberry 10, let me go ahead and assist you with this.

I went ahead and checked with the Software Development team and was informed that at this moment there is not an estimated time for this software to be released.

They will announce it via email and on the web site whenever this becomes available.

I certainly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for you, please let us know if you need anything else, we are here to help you.

Have a nice day.
    My response (which got routed to someone else):
    Hi George,

Thank you for the quick response.

Are you able to confirm with them that it is in progress or planned, even if you are not able to provide a date?

Thank you again,

Marc
    And finally:

Thank you for contacting Audible. My name is Kimoya

I understand that you would like to know if its confirmed that your Blackberry Z-10 will be compatible. I will be more than happy to inform you of this.

I can assure you that we are currently in discussions with our partners at Blackberry to make Audible support possible. We are continuously evaluating opportunities to expand the Audible platform and we are excited to bring additional wireless access to Audible customers in the future, including Blackberry Z-10 access.

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions or requests. Have a wonderful day.
    04-10-13 02:32 PM
    I gave up waiting for Audible. They did not even provide a version that worked with the Torch 9850, and the above responses give no real indication that they intend to do anything in the foreseeable future..

I finally decided to just delete the DRM on my book files and listen to them as mp3 files. Yes, Audible promotes violating the DMCA. The solution was not cheap, and I fume every time I have to take the many hours to strip out the DRM, but at least I can listen to the books that I purchased. If there was a different source of these audio books I would use it.

Shame on Audible.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-10-13 04:39 PM
    I gave up waiting for Audible. They did not even provide a version that worked with the Torch 9850, and the above responses give no real indication that they intend to do anything in the foreseeable future..

I finally decided to just delete the DRM on my book files and listen to them as mp3 files. Yes, Audible promotes violating the DMCA. The solution was not cheap, and I fume every time I have to take the many hours to strip out the DRM, but at least I can listen to the books that I purchased. If there was a different source of these audio books I would use it.

Shame on Audible.
    I may have to go this route. Which software did you use, and how well does it work?
    04-10-13 08:21 PM
    I believe you can use Audacity (free) to rip the stream from your sound card as you play it back.
    It'll be slow - you're basically going to want to start it and then walk away while the book plays all the way through for several hours.

But it should work, and it would be free.

I'm likely going to go the same route - I've paid for these books and it's unreasonable that I can't listen to them unless I'm glued to my computer.
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-10-13 08:39 PM
    I didn't know Audacity would work. I did several searches for removing DRM from Audible files, and ended up with something called DRM Media Converter. It converts lots of audio and video file types. $35 (yikes!) but it works. Not fast, it runs the files through itunes and strips out the DRM. Free would certainly be better. If you work out a free process, that would be a popular forum topic!
    04-11-13 12:08 AM
    This was my reply from Audible ([email protected]) on March 27:

"The Blackberry model, Blackberry 10 that you are inquiring about is not supported at this time but we hope to have this device among our compatible list. We are unable to provide a timeline when this will be available."

I would suggest keep emailing them and letting them know you want to see an app sooner than later. Contact info for them and many others are in my thread below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-out-781831/
    Marc_Paradise likes this.
    04-11-13 07:19 AM
    I believe you can use Audacity (free) to rip the stream from your sound card as you play it back.
    It'll be slow - you're basically going to want to start it and then walk away while the book plays all the way through for several hours.

But it should work, and it would be free.

I'm likely going to go the same route - I've paid for these books and it's unreasonable that I can't listen to them unless I'm glued to my computer.
    Could you explain how to get Audacity to do this?
    04-11-13 09:31 AM
    I can try to post it up tonight. You basically tell audacity to use the sound card as an input. For most modern sound cards this wil let you play the book back via audible manager, iTunes or whatever, and capture the output in audacity.

Then you can use the "Export" option to export the sound as mp3 - you may first need to follow the on screen instructions to download a compatible mp3 encoder.
    04-11-13 12:57 PM
    I can try to post it up tonight. You basically tell audacity to use the sound card as an input. For most modern sound cards this wil let you play the book back via audible manager, iTunes or whatever, and capture the output in audacity.

Then you can use the "Export" option to export the sound as mp3 - you may first need to follow the on screen instructions to download a compatible mp3 encoder.
    Thanks. I'm familiar with the export capability; I just don't know how to get Audacity to accept the sound card as an input source.
    04-11-13 01:12 PM
    I'm reduced to using one of my old BB's to play audible files, even though Audible never had the decency to update its app for that model BB. At least it worked. Since for several years, I used old versions of audible to play on my 9900, I would certainly settle for a sideloaded Android version, but for reasons I don't understand, this won't work either. Maybe if they update the android version it would work as a sideload?
    04-11-13 02:03 PM
    There's a drop down for it on the lower toolbar, about in the middle next to the microphone icon.
    04-11-13 02:04 PM
    NOPE no progress. My player stopped working yesterday. I contacted Audible and was told that they are no longer supporting Blackberry devices and have no intentions for future support. I am more than angry!
    I have an older version, the Blackberry Torch and love it. But, like most, now I cannot listen to any books that I purchased through Amazon or Audible. I am shocked that they simply just dumped the Blackberry from their systems. They simply don't care!!!!
    06-07-14 04:15 PM
    I got the same message when I contacted them. I'm very angry.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 04:36 PM
    I downloaded from Snap and have had no problems running Audible on my Q10.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    06-07-14 05:00 PM
    I downloaded from Snap and have had no problems running Audible on my Q10.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I access my account, download my books and listen to them using the Android Audible App.

Posted by a Proud NRA Supporter!
    Attachment 276875
    06-07-14 08:37 PM
    I've been an active reader of CrackBerry for years, but I registered just now, so I could tell you all that Audible works great!!!! Even better than I expected. This is the one app that would have been the deal-breaker between me and BlackBerry if I didn't think I would eventually be able to use it on my Q10. It's very easy to load, and your existing library is made available to you on your device. I download audiobooks to my SD card so I can listen on my Q10 without an internet connection. This app was my first foray into the Android world and I was a little apprehensive, but thankfully learned that it's quite simple. With 10.2.1.2122 installed, I just headed over to the Amazon Apps Store since it seemed the most reliable, especially for a newbie like me. I downloaded the store app, then went back and downloaded the Audible for Android app, and it works like a charm. I called Audible to ask a question, and told them they could have a brand new customer base if they promoted the fact that Audible IS fully compatible with Blackberry OS 10, just by using the Android App.
    06-07-14 09:18 PM
    Anybody have word an a player for audible.com (amazon) books?

(And please dear gods, let it be better than the BBOS version. Of course, ANYTHING would be better than that steaming pile of... )

Marc.. when I purchased my BlackBerry Passport about a year ago I simply downloaded the Android app for Audible from the audible Web site. It works wonderfly. The the Passport also has the OS 10 operating system. You might try it.
    Jackie
    07-05-16 11:22 PM