Does anyone know of some good Apps that WILL work flawlessly for use in monitoring security cameras? I would like to be able to walk into a Costco, buy a security camera and have the choice of using an Android, Apple or BlackBerry to monitor the cameras.

Feel free to leave suggestions below.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:55 AM
    There are several in BlackBerry World... I use IP Cam Viewer (it's an Android port, but runs well) and it's compatible with a long list of camera manufacturers.

I believe most of the camera+'DVR' packages they sell at Costco are Lorex, they have an Android app, you could try sideloading the app, going into Costco and trying to access the units they usually have on demo.
    09-28-13 10:14 AM
    Here we go with the band aid fix.....side loading. I am not interested in patching on stuff to a $700.00 phone. It should come with all the apps that people are patching to their phones.

Seriously, give me a break. I want the phone to have acess to a multitude of apps without this side loading junk.

Sent from my SM-T210R using CB Forums mobile app
    09-28-13 12:11 PM
    Relax... if you spent the $700 then it's up to you to rationalize the decision... not me. I'm just trying to give you solutions within your parameters (rather than just tell you to go get an iPhone)...

Anyway, looks like IP cam viewer, which you can get on BBWorld, does support Lorex cameras and DVRs

http://hit-mob.com/ip-cam-viewer-and...-support-list/

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:26 PM
    Why would a security camera company invest in developing and maintaining apps for 4 smartphone platforms when they can just do the top two? They aren't software companies - they have to pay outside companies to develop these apps. These camera companies have to compete with the likes of the Dropcam which sells $150 stand-alone wi-fi connected HD cameras with a free iOS or Android app.

You could probably get someone to develop a BB10 app that adopted Dropcam's web interface. If you want easy access to niche apps then you need to be on iOS or Android. To expect anything else is unrealistic.
    09-28-13 12:42 PM
    That is my point exactly! Why are we BlackBerry users not given the same opportunities and apps as the next manufacturer? This doesn't make sense. All apps should be made to all of the brands of phones out there.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:46 PM
    All apps should be made to all of the brands of phones out there.
    If that were the case, BlackBerry wouldn't exactly be in the situation they are in now would they?

BTW...I bought a Q-SEE DVR and Camera system from Costco. It works well with my sideloaded "DMSS" Android app.
    09-28-13 12:52 PM
    That is my point exactly! Why are we BlackBerry users not given the same opportunities and apps as the next manufacturer? This doesn't make sense. All apps should be made to all of the brands of phones out there.
    I'm a niche software developer so I get this kind of request all the time. I'll think about it but I figure "OK, I can go out and buy a contract-free smartphone for development that I don't even use and spend the next three months developing the software (or pay someone to do it) OR you can go buy another kind of smartphone if you want to use my app that much."

I usually decide that the latter is much easier. More importantly, it gives me more time to develop new apps for the 90% that use the more popular platforms. Does that make sense?
    draconis123 likes this.
    09-28-13 12:53 PM
    Sure it does...from a money perspective, yes. from a consumer standpoint, it makes it look like the app developer's lazy and doesn't give a *hit about anything other than the dollar, all the while he should be thinking of the extra group of people he COULD be making money off of (If that's your game here) , but doesn't.....does that make sense here? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:00 PM
    Plainly put, why would an app developer simple pass the chance to make even more money....duh......???

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:01 PM
    I had a feeling this was just another "lack of apps" b*tching bait thread...

Good luck with your IP cam needs.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:03 PM
    Well sir, it's not *itching. It was a simple question. Sounds to me like you're the one ranting and doing the *itching. A simple way for you, would be to get off my thread if you don't like the questions or material presented. Grow up mouth piece. You're really looking like one.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:10 PM
    Plainly put, why would an app developer simple pass the chance to make even more money....duh......???

Posted via CB10
    These companies aren't app developers. To them, developing and maintaining apps is an expense. A ballpark figure for developing a simple commercial app like this is probably about $50K plus maintenance costs. If you want to get an inkling about what that process is like then just contact one of the BB10 developers about making an app that links to the web interface that all security camera systems offer. Some of them will offer to do it for free but might not feel it's worth their time for such a niche application or you may get something that is just thrown together and breaks the next time the web interface is updated.

Plainly put, most companies aren't going to be looking to invest in BB10 apps while the future of Blackberry is uncertain. This is where you, as a user, may not care what happens to the stock or even the company, but the app developers who invest their time and energy into these platforms care a great deal.
    09-28-13 01:21 PM
    Finally, some informative people are answering....thanks for the info. I wish all people who post to a thread would fill in their answers with details and elaborate as well as you have. Thanks again for the explanation.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:25 PM
    I offered two potential solutions, neither of which you could have possibly tried within the time span. Instead you chose to simply complain about the current state of reality regarding the lack of apps in BB10, and call a developer lazy.

Of course, I could have said... "there are other platforms with apps", but that is of little actual use, since most known that already.

Do you want help, or just to sound off? Both are perfectly fine and allowed, but based on your title I was misled on to thinking you actually wanted a practical and realistic solution given what is available for BB10. It was my mistake...

Good luck filling the app gap with yet another one of these threads. They've obviously convinced many developers... LOL

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:26 PM
    Wow, you are bitter. I was merely pointing out that we BlackBerry users are rather fed up with the lack of developing of apps.

As for you, you come across as someone who is Pro Apple, the way you're attitude comes across. You don't seem to interested in the mere idea of developing or the concept thereof...you do like to make your presence known though, as you're not lazy in that department...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:35 PM
    found an app on Blackberry10 App World called bDMSS. It seems to work, although it lacks some of the functionalities of the more recent versions available on other platforms.
    06-13-14 10:38 AM
    I use blue iris on my Z10, its flawless when monitoring my 2 foscam security cameras from any location.
    06-13-14 12:12 PM
    We use SwannView from Google Play to monitor our Swann DVR - works flawlessly and fast too. (on all Z devices except Q where its hard to work with square screen)
    06-13-14 01:46 PM
    Finally, some informative people are answering....thanks for the info. I wish all people who post to a thread would fill in their answers with details and elaborate as well as you have. Thanks again for the explanation.
    Actually, all you had to do in your first post was state you were looking for a native app and not interested in sideloading. It would have saved you a lot of keystrokes.
    06-13-14 02:25 PM