Why are apps so expensive on BlackBerry half the apps on here are free on iphone or android do the developers not want people to buy their apps? I'd figure they pud them cheap or free to get some downloading. Started here

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 12:00 AM
    What? From what I've seen, everything has been the exact same price. Can you give a few specific examples? Please don't include IM+, they're known to rob BB users.
    03-01-13 12:34 AM
    I think its because its harder to ofger ad supported apps. I don't see an easy way to do it in native apps. Otherwise id be all over it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    03-01-13 12:42 AM
    I agree blackberry world is more expensive but maybe it has to be to turn a profit due to having less people downloading apps.

Posted via CB10
    pjpereira likes this.
    03-01-13 02:13 AM
    I agree blackberry world is more expensive but maybe it has to be to turn a profit due to having less people downloading apps.

Posted via CB10
    Agree, the developers are taking advantage of the situation, there are no big names, so we are forced to use what is available in hand and it is working as I baught some and appeared to be **** apps always.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 05:12 AM
    Why are apps so expensive on BlackBerry half the apps on here are free on iphone or android do the developers not want people to buy their apps? I'd figure they pud them cheap or free to get some downloading. Started here

Posted via CB10
    If they are free, then most of them will have ads. Cause if they are free, the developers are not making money if they don't have ads. Personally, I rather spend money than have to deal with ads. Also, BB people are more financially stable and will pay. Android and iOS people want everything free. Nothing in this world is free.
    03-01-13 06:58 AM
    Agree with Bluenoser63. Developers need to eat and feed their families But the Demo or Lite version of the apps would be highly appreciated, just to avoid surprises after purchase
    03-01-13 07:02 AM
    If they are free, then most of them will have ads. Cause if they are free, the developers are not making money if they don't have ads. Personally, I rather spend money than have to deal with ads. Also, BB people are more financially stable and will pay. Android and iOS people want everything free. Nothing in this world is free.
    A bit of a stereotype there. I'm happy to pay for apps. I like free, but I do make a point to donate to developers.

Developers deserve a chance to make money.

I think one thing the dev relations team has done is to get the prices of "big" name apps more in line with other platforms. I'm sure it was a major sacrifice to accomplish that.
    03-01-13 07:15 AM
    Double post.
    03-01-13 07:16 AM
    I've paid anywhere from. $0.99 - $2.99

Seems like decent price points for apps to me. Useful ones too.

Of course I never bought a $500 clock app :P .

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) and drknobs like this.
    03-01-13 07:30 AM
    Some are expensive some aren't. Prices will come down as more apps and Z10s are sold. Right now you pay top $ for your10 and your apps as they are new and there aren't that many apps yet (relative to ios or android).

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 07:35 AM
    Agree with Bluenoser63. Developers need to eat and feed their families But the Demo or Lite version of the apps would be highly appreciated, just to avoid surprises after purchase
    Developers have to pay bills too. IMHO, developing a *really* good app is not an easy work.
    Thanks for your support.
    Last edited by BlackQtCoder; 03-01-13 at 07:50 AM.
    bb10_fan and NightSlayer like this.
    03-01-13 07:40 AM
    I also wonder.. WHY is Bugatti Veyron so expensive... I so want a new one - am tired of the red one :-)

Apps are expensive in BlackBerry world-bugatti_veyron_in_tokyo.jpg
    03-01-13 10:51 AM
    Unless the app is an android port, it likely doesn't have ads (that you can see) unless it's from a higher up developer. My Xbox app has ads in it, but no one who has downloaded it has seen one. BlackBerry ad services is a lost cause at the moment, and third party ad services don't support BB10 all too well. You can MacGyver third party ads into your BB10 app, but it's more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. I just have it in there on the off chance that BB will eventually beef up their ad services.
    03-01-13 11:53 AM
    "BB people are more financially stable and will pay"

wtf? is that a fact? That's the funniest thing on here in days.
    03-01-13 12:23 PM
    I am happy to pay for it if it is a nice design, quality and useful app... from $1 - $3 range... So far I only bought a few... like Camping Toolkit for flashlight and compass, level tool feature... I am waiting for a few apps to come like WhatsApp, 1Password Pro, TripView etc. Hope the BB store gets bigger and better. and I am sure more free stuffs will come by that time as well.
    03-01-13 03:00 PM
    BlackBerry ppl are not more financially stable yes their are lots of business people but there's many teenagers and young school students too

Posted via CB10
    RussBerry007 likes this.
    03-01-13 05:17 PM
    I think they are ok priced

Posted via CB10
    NightSlayer likes this.
    03-01-13 06:04 PM
    Historically BB App World apps were a little pricier than Android/iOS because their customer demographic was different and the kinds of apps were more weighted towards sophisticated business stuff and not a bunch of goof-off games.

That will be shifting somewhat with BB10, but personally I am more than glad to pay a few extra dollars here and there, in exchange for a superior platform that is not hoarding every single bit of my personal information and shipping it off either to the massive Googleplex in the sky, or the highest bidder.

And...... malware.
    03-01-13 06:57 PM
    @omnitech---have to agree. I used to think google was this wonderful company
    making all of these great services for us, it was unreal. After a few years, it sunk in
    that MAYBE they were wolves in sheeps clothing. Data miners, nothing more. They
    want to know everything about you and the biggest malware that we allow onboard.
    03-01-13 08:41 PM
    Anyone object to paying for a quality app? Think on, a lot of Android apps from big name devs are going freemium, with insane IAP'S.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:45 AM
    I think many people don't realize that 1-2$ price per app is less then what most of us spend on coffee/cigarettes/etc per day. Most desktop apps costs 15+$ and I'm sure that building them is less a problem then building similar apps for mobile.
    03-02-13 09:51 AM
    I agree but apps the cost $$ should be quality apps too u know

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:03 AM
    I agree but apps the cost $$ should be quality apps too u know

Posted via CB10
    Everyone define "quality" in its own way. Some people think that if an app has one designated function, that works and delivers a good user experience it is a quality app. While others may think that quality app must do all sort of things, like shopping for them, making coffee, etc. and cost not more than 0,99$
    03-02-13 10:11 AM
    I pay when I have to. As of now, I've only paid for Wisepilot as BB Maps just don't cut it for me. Everything else I've downloaded is free. I don't mind paying for apps that I need, but there is a ceiling price that I'm willing to pay. Example, I really need Skype on my Z10, and as of now, IM+ is the only option. But Skype is coming soon, so just holding off paying 5 bucks for IM+ and just making do without it.
    03-02-13 10:25 AM
37 12