I've download some apps from BlackBerry World and there's been some bizarre permission requests.

Example, copter the game, requesting internet and file access? Why in earth would it need this.

Other apps are requesting storage access too, contacts access when they have no need.

I've removed all apps requesting such access, would be nice to see an article or info on this subject.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 11:31 AM
    I just untick extensive permission request by any app.

Unlike Android apps, where several basic Flashlight apps requested full internet access, phonebook access, SMS access, email access etc
    02-17-13 11:56 AM
    I was able to turn off some permissions for example with Foursquare, but with some other apps I couldn't, the options were greyed out and wouldn't let me turn them off.

Application permissions  (security risk?)-img_00000068.jpg
    Last edited by mr_zed10; 02-17-13 at 12:21 PM.
    02-17-13 12:01 PM
    Android apps as far as I know don't allow you to choose permissions, not even on Android devices (My friend's Galaxy Nexus never gives an option to choose). The app states the permissions it wants and it's an all or nothing approach.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. This is a big reason I dislike Android.

EDIT: The copter app I'm assuming is an Android port because on the playbook it is.
    02-17-13 12:22 PM
    EDIT: The copter app I'm assuming is an Android port because on the playbook it is.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we suppose to have control whether or not an app gets access to certain sections etc otherwise what's the point of Settings > Security > application permissions > can't edit permission because it's an android port.

I'd rather the fact a made for BlackBerry App cannot be changed than some Android one surely given the limited choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 12:55 PM
    the options were greyed out and wouldn't let me turn them off.
    I see. I'd suggest:
    -not installing such app
    -post a negative review in BB world

All the apps I have downloaded so far let me untick permissions I did not like.
    02-17-13 01:32 PM
    Yes we do have a choice for native apps, but not fort android apps. The reason is, as I stated in my previous post, that on android phones (as far as I know from my use with them thus far) you cannot be selective with app permissions. When you install an ap it simply says "accept or decline" with no checkboxes. This is how Android works (which I really dont like, and android developpers take advantage of course cause the average joe doesnt give a hoot or even realizes..) and given that android apps run in an android environment on our blackberries, the same seems to apply. Remember that these apps run separately from native apps in their proper environment, BB basically is emulating these apps. This is why you cannot change permissions on android apps: because android is thus far created this way.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    imz likes this.
    02-17-13 04:11 PM