I just noticed this and thought it was worth sharing.
    With all the recent updates we have seen that a lot of apps need specific permissions to work fully, or to get new functions. The biggest example of course being headless apps (called 'Run in background' in the settings).
    Now I noticed that, aside from the usual permissions like contacts/calendar/location, a lot of 'smaller', more defined options are appearing in my app manager settings. For example 'notifications control' (FlipShush), 'my contact info' (WhatsApp), 'capture screen' (Snap2chat) are all entries I had not seen before.

I really like this, because it gives me even more precise control over what apps have access to. Permissions like the generic contacts/calendar are fine, but I never really get the idea of what apps really use them for. With these new, more specific, permission settings it gives me a better idea of what I am actually allowing.
    Positive direction as far as I am concerned, and I hope we will see some more detailed permission toggles for users to 'play' with. Maybe when more apps get full access to the Hub we can get an allow/disallow option for that, for example.
    01-17-14 08:27 PM
    These really aren't more narrowed-down permissions. Rather, they're permissions for new parts of the system that developers can now access in 10.2. (screenshots, notification profile control, BlackBerry ID contact profile information)

The bigger problem with permissions is that there's no good way for developers to check what permissions you've granted their app ("try and see if it fails" doesn't work for everything), and there's no good way for developers educate users on where and why they need certain permissions. A lot of permissions needs really aren't obvious when you install an app, because they either sound overly broad or cover a secondary feature you don't think about at install time.
    01-17-14 08:35 PM
    The more fine grained permissions settings are the more difficult it is for an average user to understand and properly configure. Granted there are a lot of techy folks here but imagine an old lady that installs a news application asking for a dozen permissions. Personally I think this is a problem in android - most apps need hellova permissions and with the platform changing so drastically it becomes a challenge to follow and understand all the details. Custom roms exacerbate the issue there. But I like how bb10 keeps it simple.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 08:45 PM
    Now I noticed that, aside from the usual permissions like contacts/calendar/location, a lot of 'smaller', more defined options are appearing in my app manager settings.
    IF the permission settings appear at all in the app manager settings:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=891719

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 05:37 AM