View Poll Results: Would you pay $5 for an Email Distribution List app?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this would definitely be worth it to me.

2 33.33%
  • No, not worth $5.

4 66.67%
    Hello BlackBerry 10 developers:

I have an idea for a BlackBerry 10 app that should be relatively straightforward to implement that should have substantial demand:
    An Email Distribution List app

A key feature that is currently missing on BlackBerry 10 is the ability to have distribution lists. This app would allow you to create a distribution list and add any email contacts to the list. Then, when you wish to create an email to that email distribution list, it would just create a new email message and add all the members of the distribution list to the "To:" field.

I think there would be a significant number of people that would pay $5 for this app, including myself.

Cheers,
    07-02-13 08:54 PM
    I can look into this; you just want to import emails from contacts?
    07-02-13 09:55 PM
    +1
    This was one of the things I was missing from OS5

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 12:34 AM
    I can look into this; you just want to import emails from contacts?
    The app would use the email addresses that exist already in Contacts, yes.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 12:59 AM
    What do you think?
    App request : distribution list-bigone.jpg

Submitted to BlackBerry World, will be $1.99.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 07-03-13 at 01:15 AM.
    07-03-13 01:01 AM
    It is difficult to know if the functionality is exactly what I am looking for. So I will need to test.

What will be the name of the app in BlackBerry World?

I will purchase when available and then test to provide feedback.

Would you please post here when it is approved and available in BlackBerry World?

Thanks for the super-fast response!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 06:39 AM
    It's sad that we need to make an app for this when it was available is the previous blackberry phones. Hopefully they add this in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 06:47 AM
    BTW thanks for making the app to fill in the gaps

Posted via CB10
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    07-03-13 06:48 AM
    It's sad that we need to make an app for this when it was available is the previous blackberry phones. Hopefully they add this in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    To me it's not that big of a deal to pay a couple of extra dollars for an app that customizes my device as I would like it. Looking on the bright side, the fact that a developer can fill in this gap within 12 hours of asking for it indicates to me that BlackBerry is on the right track. On the old BlackBerry platform, this would have never happened. BlackBerry will never be able to build in every feature that we each want, which is where the app developers help us out a lot.

I understand that this feature was on the old platform. I also understand that some choices need to be made when creating the new platform. Sometimes keeping a feature like this off the new platform is a good design decision because not enough of your user base will use the feature regularly to warrant making it a part of the core platform. From what I can tell on the forums, this is not a feature that 30% of the BlackBerry population is missing. So having an app that adds this is probably good enough.

Cheers,

Posted via CB10
    SCrid2000 and app_Developer like this.
    07-03-13 07:45 AM
    It is difficult to know if the functionality is exactly what I am looking for. So I will need to test.What will be the name of the app in BlackBerry World? I will purchase when available and then test to provide feedback.Would you please post here when it is approved and available in BlackBerry World? Thanks for the super-fast response! Posted via CB10
    Send me a message letting me know all the features you want and I'll let you know if they're there.
    07-03-13 10:11 AM
    Send me a message letting me know all the features you want and I'll let you know if they're there.
    I've hopefully described the key functionality already. It's just that it is difficult to tell from the screenshots if it is what I am looking for. Therefore, I'll purchase the app and download, then I'll let you know if we are close to what was asked originally.

Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 10:24 AM
    I've hopefully described the key functionality already. It's just that it is difficult to tell from the screenshots if it is what I am looking for. Therefore, I'll purchase the app and download, then I'll let you know if we are close to what was asked originally.

Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    Alright, it's available.
    CrackBerry Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...-email-825383/
    BB World Link: BlackBerry World - Email Lists
    If there's not a feature you want, let me know and I'll do what I can to get it added.
    squished18 likes this.
    07-04-13 12:32 PM
    OK, I purchased "Email Lists" and tested it out. It is close to what I am looking for. One major feature that I am looking for is the ability to edit an existing distribution list.

A couple of improvements that would be nice, but are not critical:
    1. I would remove the "Subject" and "Body" fields from the app. Not necessary as I would just enter these fields when the new message pops up. This saves some screen real estate.
    2. Default the "Save This List" checkbox on 'TRUE'. Generally the user would be creating a new list anyways when choosing contacts.

Thanks,
    07-04-13 02:45 PM
    OK, I purchased "Email Lists" and tested it out. It is close to what I am looking for. One major feature that I am looking for is the ability to edit an existing distribution list.

A couple of improvements that would be nice, but are not critical:
    1. I would remove the "Subject" and "Body" fields from the app. Not necessary as I would just enter these fields when the new message pops up. This saves some screen real estate.
    2. Default the "Save This List" checkbox on 'TRUE'. Generally the user would be creating a new list anyways when choosing contacts.

Thanks,
    Alright, I added:
    1. Add new Emails to Distribution List
    2. Removed Subject and Body fields
    3. Defaulted "Save This List" checkbox to true.

Submitting to BB World now.
    07-04-13 06:40 PM
    Would it be possible to delete a contact from a distribution list?

Thanks for the update.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 07:46 AM
    Will add that.
    07-05-13 10:22 AM
    Is this only for email?

Posted using The Z10
    07-05-13 10:12 PM
    I hate to sound like an inconsiderate person, mainly because this very kind developer cooked this up so quickly and based on just a request...

But I wish this was free/$0.99 just in case BlackBerry adds this in 10.1 MR or more likely 10.2 and since it is replacing a core but missing functionality, rather than being a "true application" in its own right. I hope that doesn't come across as offensive. I don't mean it that way in the slightest. And I feel the same exact way about LED color apps that cost money.

To be honest BlackBerry should quickly pay this generous man/woman developer handsomely and quickly adopt his/her code built into email composition ASAP.

The fact that BlackBerry is made for email and this feature hasn't made its way from legacy yet is quite sad.

Btw, I would presume this functionality is present on competing platforms, yes?

Anyway, a very BIG thank you to the developer and I'm sorry that I couldn't resist saying something about cost.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-05-13 10:52 PM
    Okay...

I must say that now I am feeling bad for saying that.

07-05-13 11:00 PM
    Has the update been posted yet? I don't see it in BlackBerry World yet.

Thanks,
    David

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:07 PM
    Has the update been posted yet? I don't see it in BlackBerry World yet.

Thanks,
    David

Posted via CB10
    1.1 is showing as available when I check the portal.
    07-11-13 11:24 PM
    Okay...

I must say that now I am feeling bad for saying that.

No worries.
    And I'd love if BlackBerry hired me lol, but I'd have to move to Canada
    07-11-13 11:26 PM
    1.1 is showing as available when I check the portal.
    I'm only able to see 1.0 still. Seems like it is taking a long time for BlackBerry World to synchronize to the latest version.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:34 AM
    Try refreshing the BlackBerry World cache.
    Open the settings in BlackBerry World and tap the version number 10 times, then do a battery pull.
    07-12-13 07:56 AM
    I've tried refreshing the BlackBerry World cache but still not seeing the update. Is it possible the update only went out for certain models? I am running an STL100-1.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 10:07 PM
30 12