All this app gap talk, only because a few apps are not available for BB 10.

Of course it's disappointing if an app isn't available and of course the BB 10 ecosystem isn't suitable for everybody, but is this "gap" really significant?

I would like to learn what top 10 apps are essentially needed on a regular smartphone, so feel free to list up your top 10.
    Most interesting would be apps (like Snapchat, Line) which make people switch to other ecosystems.

I start with my top 10.

1) Paper Camera
    I like to have a picture for each contact on my phone and found it's more fun with this app

2) Evolution Web Browser
    This one I use daily, alternatively Firefox

3) SoundHound
    Helped me more than dozen times to identify a song.
    I am not missing Shazam.

4) Hexage
    Hexage games, especially Robotek, are great fun on all BB 10 devices I had so far.

5) Titan Files
    Other apps "hide" your files by renaming them, but this one is encrypting the files.

6) PaperPusher Scanner
    I'm not using this often, but it helped me a couple of times to submit a document quickly (while being on the road)

7) Snap2Share
    Same as 6) and it helps me to explain a document/location/situation.

8) Network Monitor
    Use it when I install new apps, just to understand which servers (if any) are contacted by the app

9) Fox & Sheep
    Their apps won't make you better parents, but keeps your child busy for a couple of minutes. ^^

10) Kindle for BlackBerry 10
    Difficult one, because I haven't really started using it yet and I prefer the Android version from the Amazon Store, although this loads painfully slow. Anyways, my home library needs an update and I think it will be ebooks, because ebooks don't need any space.

Finally:
    I use a lots more apps on BB 10 (ARKick, Soundcloud,radio stations ....), but the above is my top 10.
    And normally I would have included a weather app, password keeper, torch, a messenger and maps (with navigation) etc etc in my top 10 list, but all these are already provided by BB 10 for free.

I do check occasionally the Google Playstore, but for 98% of all the apps there I have found something equivalent in BB 10 itself, Appworld or the Amazone store.
    07-18-15 05:44 AM
    Does Soundhound still work?

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    07-18-15 06:20 AM
    Does Soundhound still work?

On my Q10 (10.3.1) it works, also on all other BB 10 devices I had in the last 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 06:23 AM
    On my Q10 (10.3.1) it works, also on all other BB 10 devices I had in the last 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.680 doesn't work here

07-18-15 06:32 AM
    Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.680 doesn't work here

Afraid this is the wrong thread for your problem, on my BB 10 devices incl Q10 it does work., but I am still on 10.3.1.
    07-18-15 06:47 AM
    Not my top 10 apps, I dont use any of them
    Here's mine
    CADpockets - autoCAD app, android only
    Sight Space 3d - sketch up app, android only
    BDO banking app - android only
    PicsArt - android only (on my knowledge)
    Telegram - nothing is better or same as android on BlackBerry world.
    Mega - android port from BlackBerry world
    Office Pro - better than DocsToGo from BlackBerry world
    Google drive - android app
    Google map - better than BlackBerry map app
    Facebook messenger and app itself - no match the app from BlackBerry world

I think app gap is very much present.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KorChi_JapThai; 07-18-15 at 07:47 AM.
    07-18-15 06:53 AM
    When I walk into the grocery store I buy 10-20 items. The store has many thousands of different products.

I may think "wow, how silly. We don't need these big grocery stores. All I need is a store that stocks these 20 things in my basket".

Oh, except the lady in front of me has a different 20 things, doesn't she? And the guy behind me prefers a brand of bacon I've never even heard of and 10 other things in his basket that I don't buy.

If you take the 20-25 apps that I use frequently, plus your 10, plus the next person's 15, you soon realize BB10 has a massive app gap. It's beyond reasonable at this point to argue that this isn't a significant issue, especially with all the workarounds and compromises involved. Does the average user really want to make sure she has version 2.0.3.8.whatever of a particular app so that it sort of, kind of, works so long as you didn't need this button or that feature?? Is the average user willing to make do with last years version of some service just so that he can support the BlackBerry brand?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-18-15 08:37 AM
    I've decide to start doing all of my grocery shopping at the gas station. After all, they have most everything I need: milk, bread, soup, peanut butter, chips, drinks, cereal, etc. There is even fresh fruit in there every day. Who needs 100 different kinds of ice cream, anyway?
    07-18-15 09:39 AM
    I needed full access to Google services with drive, sheets, docs, slides, gmail and Google calendar for work. That's one of the main reasons I switched to a Nexus. That and I had 3 Z10s die on me. I needed something I could depend on.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-18-15 09:55 AM
    I needed full access to Google services with drive, sheets, docs, slides, gmail and Google calendar for work. That's one of the main reasons I switched to a Nexus. That and I had 3 Z10s die on me. I needed something I could depend on.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Depending and Google in the same post?... lol

But then you are a wise person... instead of complaining about the app lack on BlackBerry and why it should run Playservices and have a Playstore .. you did the wise thing and moved to a Android device and let BlackBerry be as it is!! Thank you!!!

Posted via my awesome Classic
    HabsFan9860 likes this.
    07-18-15 10:18 AM
    When I walk into the grocery store I buy 10-20 items. The store has many thousands of different products.
    But ALL these thousands of different products in the grocery store are selling, because there really is a constant demand for all these products.
    I doubt this is true for any appstore, especially for the Google Playstore.

If I buy a phone, I focus on the features which I need and maybe need one day, but I don't care if there are 10 or 50 different photo editor apps (assuming they do all more or less the same), neither do I care about low quality apps someone created just for fun.
    07-18-15 12:15 PM
    But ALL these thousands of different products in the grocery store are selling, because there really is a constant demand for all these products.
    I doubt this is true for any appstore, especially for the Google Playstore.

If I buy a phone, I focus on the features which I need and maybe need one day, but I don't care if there are 10 or 50 different photo editor apps (assuming they do all more or less the same), neither do I care about low quality apps someone created just for fun.
    Well, of course, because the cost of inventory is nil in app stores. But there are still thousands of popular apps in these stores.

And what happens if you are using photoapp A and then you hear about photoapp B with a better interface and some new feature you like. On the popular Android and iOS phones you search for it in the store and tap buy. No fuss at all. That convenience is what normal users expect today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-18-15 12:58 PM
    And what happens if you are using photoapp A and then you hear about photoapp B with a better interface and some new feature you like.
    Mostly it is not about the app itself... it's often because your friends have it.. you want that to... because you don't want to be left behind. 2 popular people in your group has the newest game.. suddenly everybody wants it to also be popular. After a while.. ( week or 2) does something new arive.. and that former popular app isn't used anymore...

So question is... is there a NEED for so many apps? Or you just want to be popular to? 8 out of 10 times it's that you want to be popular to.

So if you want to be popular... then maybe a BlackBerry is not the phone you really want, and buy a phone like the rest of the herd. If you don't give a rat's as s, have your own opinion and you just want a phone that does its job right ( as it's designed for) then get a BlackBerry
    And live well with the apps they do have..

HabsFan9860 likes this.
    07-18-15 01:36 PM
    And what happens if you are using photoapp A and then you hear about photoapp B with a better interface and some new feature you like.
    Well, it's probably coincidence, but among my top 10 above are three totally different apps all for the camera.
    Each of them is adding new, unique features to the BB 10 camera app (which itself already has many features).

I wouldn't disagree much with you, I just ask if the app gap is significant for the average use case?
    07-18-15 01:49 PM
    So question is... is there a NEED for so many apps? Or you just want to be popular to? 8 out of 10 times it's that you want to be popular to.
    Actually, I pretty much just use the apps I like on Android and iOS. If I have an app and I see something else I prefer, I can have it. That's a nice bit of freedom to choose the apps I actually prefer as opposed to making do with a limited set that someone else decided for me.

And of course, I use the apps that keep me employed. Those are sort of important to me. I guess you could argue that being employed makes me more popular.
    If you don't give a rat's as s, have your own opinion and you just want a phone that does its job right ( as it's designed for) then get a BlackBerry
    And I think that the crux of it, right. A lot of people look at their phone as their computer. They want to add peripherals to it (watches, fitbit, cars, etc.). They want programs for it (apps). They want to run work stuff on it (more apps).

But you're right, if that is not how one sees a phone, then apps don't matter. I think more and more people see it as a personal computer more than a phone.

This is why I hope that the rumors are true, and BB will be producing an Android phone. I think that eliminates a major issue for them. It may be a little late again, but I think it's a good move.
    07-18-15 03:27 PM
    Mostly it is not about the app itself... it's often because your friends have it.. you want that to... because you don't want to be left behind. 2 popular people in your group has the newest game.. suddenly everybody wants it to also be popular. After a while.. ( week or 2) does something new arive.. and that former popular app isn't used anymore...

So if you want to be popular... then maybe a BlackBerry is not the phone you really want, and buy a phone like the rest of the herd. If you don't give a rat's as s, have your own opinion and you just want a phone that does its job right ( as it's designed for) then get a BlackBerry

I enjoy hearing how apps make people popular. Fascinating.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    07-18-15 04:19 PM
    I'll post my to 5 or 6 on my daily driver

1) Tasker
    2) Business Calendar
    3) Google Voice
    4) Titanium Backup
    5) Evernote
    6) Gmail

I use a few that are pretty unique too, but I assess apps for a living.

One thing that surprises folks that know what I do is how few apps I use.

One aspect a well-stocked app environment encourages is competition. Developers fighting to be the go-to choice for consumers. Consumers win.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    07-18-15 04:27 PM
    I enjoy hearing how apps make people popular. Fascinating.
    Then I'm glad that I WROTE something else, that you "heard" it. Interpretation it's called. But clearly you miss the whole point...

The app gap. Does it really exist?-facebook-20150714-075648.png

Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-18-15 04:32 PM
    I have all the apps i need. I'm more than happy with my BB.
    07-18-15 04:33 PM
    I love these threads because of the long winded answers people give but really, it comes down to something rather simple. For some, the app gap exists and for some, it doesn't. Everyone uses their device differently.

Looking at the big picture though, it seems pretty clear it's an issue for BlackBerry on the whole, even if there's no app gap for myself. No matter how anyone twists it, there's people out there who simply will not pick up a BlackBerry because it doesn't have .
    07-18-15 04:35 PM

This is why I hope that the rumors are true, and BB will be producing an Android phone. I think that eliminates a major issue for them. It may be a little late again, but I think it's a good move.
    There are numerous treads about that discussion...
    But a BlackBerry phone with Android.. is just another Android phone. Even with a BlackBerry skin on it. Then imo buy an Android phone if you want more apps. Just let BB10 and it's strength as it is.
    I left Android because of Android / Google. I was glad that I had a choice to move away from them ( and Apple and Windows).

07-18-15 04:43 PM
    I don't think there is an app gap either, if you ask the question, what do you want your smartphone to do? For some of these uses there will be apps, for some they are not needed as an alternative to the browser. But people are so used to the appscreens on their androids and apples, that the question they ask themselves is, from having been conditioned by the very presence of their phone what to do with it, that the questions they actually ask themselves is, "what buttons am i used to pushing every day that i want to continue to be able to keep pushing?" they didnt buy a phone for the need to have those specific buttons to push, they were taught by their phones that this what you want to spend your time doing with your new very expensive phone.

"There's an app for that" has really been ingrained into people's minds, and now we find BlackBerry has to be what people already are used to to attract them instead of attracting them because its different.

Youtube, for the perfect example! With flash gone in the new update, i simply have a shortcut to Youtube via the Flash Browser and it works great, but some will need to have one of the Youtube apps instead for that. (i cant even keep track of which youtube apps are supposed to work and which arent.)

Rather than think of what are my most used phone apps, i think of, what do i actually do with my phone? On a regular day, i may talk, text, stream music, listen to local FM radio, download a talk-news radio show or take a few pictures. Tiny Curve does it all! On a day i may want to kill time browsing, cuz I'm riding the bus or doing laundry, i may take the Z10 or Z30 or Q5 along instead.

There are buttons to press for all of these things. For the music theres an app, and i guess the radio is also an app. Would i have a better time with an android phone? Would i 'push more buttons?'. Or, would i waste a bunch of time (like i did) trying to close unwanted apps ad restrict the permissions that automatically reenable themselves constantly, some just when i restart my phone, and some immediately after i disabled them. Some people can just get used to that 'app ecosystem,' i guess, but it made me not want to have a phone.

For people to find out they can explore their options and make a decision, i truly believe that MOST people would choose BlackBerry in the end and will find that for the most part it has whatever apps they need. If you love your phone and your apps and dont feel a desire for a change, BlackBerry may not win you over.

As it stands, people just dont want to waste their time looking at BlackBerry bc they already think there is nothing to see here anyway. The degree to which people demand BlackBerry have the exact same way of doing things as the phone they're used to is beyond belief.

_________
    I meant to say the Zeus Browser, but, it IS a flash browser.
    Alicia Erlich likes this.
    07-18-15 05:23 PM
    The app gap does exist even for people who think no app gap for themselves
    07-18-15 05:52 PM
    I don't think there is an app gap either, if you ask the question, what do you want your smartphone to do? For some of these uses there will be apps, for some they are not needed as an alternative to the browser. But people are so used to the appscreens on their androids and apples, that the question they ask themselves is, from having been conditioned by the very presence of their phone what to do with it, that the questions they actually ask themselves is, "what buttons am i used to pushing every day that i want to continue to be able to keep pushing?" they didnt buy a phone for the need to have those specific buttons to push, they were taught by their phones that this what you want to spend your time doing with your new very expensive phone.

"There's an app for that" has really been ingrained into people's minds, and now we find BlackBerry has to be what people already are used to to attract them instead of attracting them because its different.

Youtube, for the perfect example! With flash gone in the new update, i simply have a shortcut to Youtube via the Flash Browser and it works great, but some will need to have one of the Youtube apps instead for that. (i cant even keep track of which youtube apps are supposed to work and which arent.)

Rather than think of what are my most used phone apps, i think of, what do i actually do with my phone? On a regular day, i may talk, text, stream music, listen to local FM radio, download a talk-news radio show or take a few pictures. Tiny Curve does it all! On a day i may want to kill time browsing, cuz I'm riding the bus or doing laundry, i may take the Z10 or Z30 or Q5 along instead.

There are buttons to press for all of these things. For the music theres an app, and i guess the radio is also an app. Would i have a better time with an android phone? Would i 'push more buttons?'. Or, would i waste a bunch of time (like i did) trying to close unwanted apps ad restrict the permissions that automatically reenable themselves constantly, some just when i restart my phone, and some immediately after i disabled them. Some people can just get used to that 'app ecosystem,' i guess, but it made me not want to have a phone.

For people to find out they can explore their options and make a decision, i truly believe that MOST people would choose BlackBerry in the end and will find that for the most part it has whatever apps they need. If you love your phone and your apps and dont feel a desire for a change, BlackBerry may not win you over.

As it stands, people just dont want to waste their time looking at BlackBerry bc they already think there is nothing to see here anyway. The degree to which people demand BlackBerry have the exact same way of doing things as the phone they're used to is beyond belief.

_________
    I meant to say the Zeus Browser, but, it IS a flash browser.
    Thing is, BBRY helped usher in the app craze. Those of us who have had BBRY devices for a long time will recall when BBRY had a better ecosystem than Apple.

In the end, it's all about functionality. Some folks don't need em, some do. I desperately want BB10 to survive, because choice is important to me as a consumer.
    07-18-15 06:34 PM
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 06:54 PM
69 123