Small gripe, but when adding a server, it forces an IP address. Can I not use a hostname? Saves me having to look up the IP.
    Hostnames have been disallowed for some time (at least the past two updates). I have a fear that allowing hostnames (which equals to allowing all characters) would increase my support inquiries by introducing an additional point of failure.
    Do you think that many of my customers have a working DNS setup for their home network?
    03-08-13 02:41 PM
    Did you try opening another app (e.g. the browser) and still being able to control (volume/play/pause) your XBMC using the hardware media keys?
    Yea, works like a charm. [Edit] Volume keys don't work when the Z10 is in standby mode with the screen off but pause/play works, which is weird. When the screen is on but in another application all three keys work [/Edit]

So far my testing has been with my XBMC Eden instance. I haven't had a chance to test my Frodo instance yet. I have to wait until I'm finished from work so I can hook my Raspberry Pi to my network again to test on Frodo (my work computer doesn't work on my Wifi network)
    03-08-13 02:56 PM
    Volume keys don't work when the Z10 is in standby mode with the screen off but pause/play works
    That's interesting! I'm still out of hardware and heavily rely on beta testers (mostly equipped with Dev Alphas), so it's always good to hear that stuff is working as intended - at least to a certain degree. Once I hold a Z10 LE in my hands which should happen in the next couple of weeks I'll look into this.
    03-08-13 03:05 PM
    IF you updated the code to run on the playbook people would kick you a few bucks for the app. Just saying..
    03-08-13 03:10 PM
    IF you updated the code to run on the playbook people would kick you a few bucks for the app. Just saying..
    XRMT will definitely be optimized for the PlayBook (like it is already for the Q10) as soon as the PlayBook get updated to BB10 and/or support for Cascades/QML.
    Currently the only option would be to rewrite huge parts of the app logic as well as the whole interface (AIR or native).

Let's wait until BB keeps it promise and let me deliver then.
    03-08-13 03:20 PM
    Great update. Couple of other suggestions. The server button being on the bottom bar seems like overkill, once your in the app. at that point I really don't have use for the server button.
    Also at least for me the tv and movie buttons are going to get more use than the remote button, so those having ready access would be nice.
    And my last feature would be to be able to filter unwatched and new content.
    Thanks again for a great app, and frequent updates.
    Bumping up my review in BlackBerry world a star.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 03:57 PM
    Thanks, great work.
    03-08-13 06:04 PM
    Hostnames have been disallowed for some time (at least the past two updates). I have a fear that allowing hostnames (which equals to allowing all characters) would increase my support inquiries by introducing an additional point of failure.
    Do you think that many of my customers have a working DNS setup for their home network?
    Oh man! This was key for me and working so well before the update! I connect to my boxes at home often using a dynamic DNS service to browse the library...

I mean, don't get me wrong, love the new version as the interface is much improved but host names is such a widely used feature on every remote application out there, is this really causing support issues? Maybe you can put a setting that puts the interface in advanced mode and allows it?

Is there any way to downgrade an app to a previous version in App World?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 09:50 PM
    Ok, bought the app and added the server, but it wouldn't connect (even though a message popped up saing "XBMC Connected" or something). I deleted the server to try a different port because I couldn't control anything, but now I can't find the option to add server again. Also, don't I need to enter in a username and password to control XBMC?

Update: Found where to add the server and used the default 9090 port, seems to be working now.

Here are a few recommendations for a future update:

1. The "check mark" in the center of the control pad should be both a play and pause button when video is playing. The current "pause" button on the bottom right of the control pad could be a stop (or at least have the option to have it that way). Currently if I want to stop the video I have to go to the Advanced tab, which diminishes the point of a control pad.

2. The Advanced Tab should have a media information button (equivalent to pressing the letter "o" on the keyboard). Maybe one could be included next to the "i" button.

3. We need a button that would bring up the onscreen menu (equivalent to pressing the letter "m" on the keyboard).

4. The Advanced tab doesn't really need to indicate the name of the title being played and the timeline. There's a lot of wasted real estate that could be used for advanced functions, such as:

5. I'd like to see one button that would enable, cycle through and disable subtitles.

6. There is a fast forward in the Advanced tab controls, but it would be nice to see slow / frame step ability as well.

7. The "Servers" button and "Remote" button on the bottom aren't required. The "Servers" selection should be relegated to the Settings menu.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good job so far, and I'm sure it'll only get better.
    Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 03-08-13 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Problem solved
    03-08-13 09:56 PM
    You asked for it, you got it. I've just released another update to the App World testing team.

Version 2.1.0 adds the features you were asking for most often:
    • Auto connect to your preferred media center (in the settings menu)
    • Fast forward / backward speed is now steppable: 2/4/8/16 (hit the button more than once to go faster)
    • Select / Disable Subtitles (it will actually show you a nice list of all available subtitles with name and language to choose from)
    • Use hostname instead of IP address (we'll see how long this "feature" stays enabled )

as well as these two fixes:
    • Deleting one server now works as intended
    • Display will show the filename (instead of nothing) for playing items, that are not in your library

If anyone who updated to 2.0.4 can absolutely not live a couple of days without one of the mentioned features, I'll set up sandbox testing for you, which should give you instant access to the update. DM me a good reason and your BB ID email address.

Regarding all other comments: they are either already on my list or I try to answer them here:

When it comes to UI and buttons with changing functionality: I'm not a big fan of this and user experience guidelines usually ask you to refrain from doing "unexpected" things. A user expects a remote app to work and behave like a real remote - the only exception I made was the animated Play/Pause button (which is usually a combined one on hardware remotes). The two tab navigation is the result of a discussion at BB Jam Amsterdam with a TAT guy, who insisted on as few buttons as possible and an uncluttered UI. And I told him that users can't live without some of the advanced controls.

Menu and media info keys are there and work (in my setups).
    Last edited by biggerCC; 03-09-13 at 03:50 AM.
    Lumute likes this.
    03-09-13 03:31 AM
    [*]Select / Disable Subtitles (it will actually show you a nice list of all available subtitles with name and language to choose from)
    Wow, this is something I really wanted but though it would be too complicate to add so didn't ask, awesome!

[*]Use hostname instead of IP address (we'll see how long this "feature" stays enabled )
    Thanks a lot, this is basic networking 101, if someone knows what an IP is then should also know what a host name is and when to use it, in my mind is like taking the power button of a computer because users may press it and shut it down. I have internal DNS that matches external dynamic DNS so I can use the same hostnames for my XBMC boxes either inside or outside of my network and works really well for this and many other applications I use...

If anyone who updated to 2.0.4 can absolutely not live a couple of days without one of the mentioned features, I'll set up sandbox testing for you, which should give you instant access to the update. DM me a good reason and your BB ID email address.
    I would love to get this new version, I'll PM you my BBID, Thanks...
    03-09-13 03:52 PM
    Downloading as I type this! How did I miss this thread, I'm super hyped about trying it.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:04 PM
    First off got to say loving this update! Fantastic work.

One small bug I noticed when browsing my tv shows when going into a show folder it says "Songs" in the titlebar.

Couple suggestions if you are open to them,

1) Any way to add watched status? I never remember where I left off when Im watching TV shows so having an indicator to show watched and partially watched would be extremely useful.

2) Is it possible to add a "Files" option. Meaning that currently only movies/shows/music in the library can be viewed. This is great thanks to SickBeard and CouchPotato (to legally back up all my purchased content) doing the automatic library updates, however there are some shows that I have that cannot be put into the library. There isn't a proper naming convention for these shows and tvdb doesn't even have a proper list of episodes. So being able to browse files would be helpful in this case.

Keep up the great work!
    03-09-13 06:20 PM
    Also just had another idea, it's something I had actually done with BBOS and never released to the public, just hardcoded everything for myself :P

When an incoming email/sms/phone call comes in have the option to send an alert to xbmc. Then you can see whos calling/messaging without having to look at your phone. Might be a bit ambitious right now but maybe something to consider for the future.
    03-09-13 06:23 PM
    Dont know if this was mentioned - or is possible - but could you flash the LED when a remote button is pressed. A bit like the TV remotes of old. That way you could implement the press-and-hold for volume/channel buttons and people would be getting feedback

Also, could you indicate rough figures on how much this app is generating you? I understand if you want to keep it close to your chest, but I think some good examples like this show why 99c is a great price point and why ad-supported apps should just go away. Either way, congrats and best of luck!
    03-09-13 06:43 PM
    Can someone give me a step by step how to set this up?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 07:43 PM
    IP or host name of xbmc?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 07:46 PM
    Skip it, did some reading and figured it out, I love it, any chance it can also control the menu with Apple tv?...at least to power it off

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Carjackd; 03-10-13 at 09:57 AM.
    03-10-13 12:27 AM
    Thanks for your feedback guys! My comments are below.

One small bug I noticed when browsing my tv shows when going into a show folder it says "Songs" in the titlebar.
    Great find. I've just fixed it and will release it with the next bunch of changes anytime soon. Now it says "Episodes".

Any way to add watched status?
    Will be back soon - the old version actually had this indicator and I'm planning to reintroduce it in a nicer way (probably by displaying them in gray unless you have a better idea) and with the ability to completely hide watched/played items from your media lists.

When an incoming email/sms/phone call comes in have the option to send an alert to xbmc. Then you can see whos calling/messaging without having to look at your phone.
    Seriously I didn't forget about this idea. It's on my Evernote list ever since I started to keep track of ideas. Due to the fact that XRMT is native now it should be feasible and the class to send notifications to XBMC is already implemented. So if you have some code to share with me, go ahead, it might speed up things.

Also, could you indicate rough figures on how much this app is generating you?
    I can. To end speculation: It's nowhere like making me rich. On the best day I sold 12 copies, in average I have about 3 paid downloads a day. This might change when the Z10 is available on more markets (especially the US) and XRMT gets accepted for BFB eventually.

and chance it can also control the menu with Apple tv?
    Well, actually that's a brilliant idea for another app! Altough its functionality will be very limited in comparison to XRMT based on Apple TV's nature...
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-10-13 12:55 AM
    Really glad I found this thread and app it really make the xbmc experience so much better

Posted via CB10
    biggerCC likes this.
    03-10-13 01:38 AM
    Regarding (un)played media entries: Are the screenshots below showing kind of what you were looking for? In the current build, played items get a grey color (still readable without problems, see "Premium Rush") and there's an additional option at the bottom to hide all played items.

Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000012.jpg Any other XBMC addicts in here?-img_00000013.jpg
    03-10-13 09:19 AM
    The watched status looks good. Any way to indicate partially watched? Many times ill switch from the living room to bedroom mid episode and forget where I was

For the messages code have a look at the blackberry github at the messages sample. If you need help with it shoot me a pm.
    03-10-13 08:33 PM
    Shao enough about your sex life how about this app? good point!

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 09:49 PM
    I would like access to visualization, subtitle, etc settings as well. A button similar to the home button (stuff that shows up upon mouse movement while a movie /music is playing )
    Great job, pretty neat and it definitely can develop into an incredible remote.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 11:12 PM
    Update 2.2.0 (which is release #7 BTW) was just submitted to App World:

NEW:
    • Displaying played items in gray
    • Option to hide played items from lists
    • Option to automatically pause playback on calls
    • Menu button will open OSD when media is playing (thanks yoniggaasap)

FIXED:
    • Title bar showing Episodes correctly (thanks Shao128)
    • Display title on playback stopped

I would like access to visualization, subtitle, etc settings as well. A button similar to the home button
    Great idea. In version 2.2.0 the menu key (four squares) will toggle the OSD when something is playing and open a context menu when somewhere else.

Any way to indicate partially watched?
    This one is harder. To my knowledge the API has no method for getting the last play position of an item. While I could have XRMT manually watch out for this, the experience wouldn't really be smooth as this only works if (1) you solely use my app to control your systems and (2) the app is constantly running. And then it would still not solve your problem as the items almost certainly have different media IDs on both of your machines. I'm not a fan of "hacky" solutions that only work under limited circumstances...
    03-11-13 03:32 AM
129 12345 ...