It's true - our general plan is to have Viber for BB10 released alongside OS10.2

@juacas -

Viber is compatible with OS6 devices, but only CDMA devices (you can check whether or not your device is a CDMA device by contacting your cellular operator).

About the rest of the OS6 devices - as much as we would like, the design of the BBOS 6 does not make voice possible. Implementing voice on BBOS 6 would result in 5+ seconds audio latency. Far more than is acceptable for a voice call.

For now, unfortunately there is no way to incorporate Viber's calling services on Blackberry OS6 (all non-CDMA devices).
    So all you flips talking smack and defending thr viber reps about what I had said earlier need to smarten up and realize that they were simply sedating us and playing us for fools by claiming that they are working hard and that it will be released soon for the past three months
    . Os 10.2 is expected to be released in the fall, so how credible is viber. Look I am not just trash talking I am just simply saying that they weren't transparent enough.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 10:31 PM
    Viber is one of the greatest apps I've ever used, hopefully it will come to BlackBerry 10 on time :^)
    06-21-13 10:46 PM
    What is the reason for releasing along side 10.2? It is just a estimated release timeframe or it needs 10.2 to work? And what do you mean by releasing along side 10.2? The nature of OS updates for blackberry is so fragmented across the globe that not everyone gets 10.2 at the same time when it comes. So when do we expect to see it on the app world? As long as users are either using both 10.2 official or leak? Or everyone gets 10.2 official, which could be 2014 for the US peeps and i pity them, that users could only see it on the app world.

Point is, be more specific!
    06-22-13 01:30 AM
    What is the reason for releasing along side 10.2? It is just a estimated release timeframe or it needs 10.2 to work? And what do you mean by releasing along side 10.2? The nature of OS updates for blackberry is so fragmented across the globe that not everyone gets 10.2 at the same time when it comes. So when do we expect to see it on the app world? As long as users are either using both 10.2 official or leak? Or everyone gets 10.2 official, which could be 2014 for the US peeps and i pity them, that users could only see it on the app world.

Point is, be more specific!
    If I were to take a guess, 10.2 will allow for headless apps, something Viber desperately needs.

Now, that wouldn't stop them from releasing a version now for people to use, but hey!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:25 AM
    The android port using the debug token runs headless.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:35 AM
    If I were to take a guess, 10.2 will allow for headless apps, something Viber desperately needs.

Now, that wouldn't stop them from releasing a version now for people to use, but hey!

Posted via CB10
    Apps that receive a push from a server do not need headless apis as a module of the app is always live in the HUB currently. Any notification from the HUB can be used to open the app. This is how Whatsapp or Skype are running even when the app is closed.
    I doubt if Viber is waiting for the headless APIs and it is more a concern with the time they need for development.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    06-22-13 07:58 AM
    Apps that receive a push from a server do not need headless apis as a module of the app is always live in the HUB currently. Any notification from the HUB can be used to open the app. This is how Whatsapp or Skype are running even when the app is closed.
    I doubt if Viber is waiting for the headless APIs and it is more a concern with the time they need for development.

Beat me to it. And I agree, thats why I am wondering why 10.2?! If it is their ETA on release, let's just hope they deliver because I am tired of waiting or seeing "soon". I bet M--canack can relate LOL.

Sent from my WhiteBerry Z10
    06-22-13 08:42 AM
    Viber, Tango, Whatsapp, Skype and the like... we keep talking about what, when, how and why....

BBM have it all and more.. needless to say, going cross platform is critical.
    I would be surprised if BlackBerry is placing this at the bottom of their to-do list....

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 09:24 AM
    I tried different versions of Viber APK files..
    Nothing is running headless. If I close the app I am neither receiving messages nor calls. And strangely few contacts are synchronized.. I don't see any logic for the appearing contacts. I have total of 800 contacts but see only 30... anybody please help

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 09:33 AM
    If you drag down from the top so the Android bar appears, click on the 3 dots and the option is at the top called more options. You can set it to view all contacts in there.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 09:40 AM
    Beat me to it. And I agree, thats why I am wondering why 10.2?! If it is their ETA on release, let's just hope they deliver because I am tired of waiting or seeing "soon". I bet M--canack can relate LOL.

Yep...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 10:06 AM
    If you drag down from the top so the Android bar appears, click on the 3 dots and the option is at the top called more options. You can set it to view all contacts in there.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah all contacts show only 27 of my all contacts of 800 contacts not the Viber contacts. I can't figure how it chose those 27 contacts

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 10:17 AM
    I've noticed that mine only picks up numbers that are added to the phone and not what's sync'd in from other address books. That may have something to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 10:53 AM
    any idea how to copy contacts to device?
    06-22-13 11:18 AM
    I tried different versions of Viber APK files..
    Nothing is running headless. If I close the app I am neither receiving messages nor calls. And strangely few contacts are synchronized.. I don't see any logic for the appearing contacts. I have total of 800 contacts but see only 30... anybody please help

Posted via CB10
    The device needs to be restarted so that Viber can work even when closed. Use the most updated apk and it should work fine.

06-22-13 11:33 AM
    When you say along side 10.2 is it the official release by BlackBerry or we can have it on advanced leaked versions?! We already saw a couple of 10.2s out there but not that stable!

Posted via my Q10 from T- MobileBlackBerry Pin:2AF236F5 Twitter: BBRY_Addict83 Instagram: BBRY_Addict83
    As our CEO explained, it is "likely" at this stage. The reasons for the release of Viber with/alongside 10.2 are technological reasons, rooted in development/fixes in 10.2 itself (that Viber is "waiting" for).

However, nothing is final yet. We will do our best to see what can be done to bring it as soon as the technological situation permits us.
    06-24-13 11:21 AM
    As our CEO explained, it is "likely" at this stage. The reasons for the release of Viber with/alongside 10.2 are technological reasons, rooted in development/fixes in 10.2 itself (that Viber is "waiting" for).

However, nothing is final yet. We will do our best to see what can be done to bring it as soon as the technological situation permits us.
    So all along viber has been saying soon but in fact it is waiting for 10.2 because of restrictions... what the...

06-24-13 12:20 PM
    So i guess its going to be a long long wait, probably next year.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 02:31 PM
    Hi all, cmon viber... guys u can release a software... this is not an correct answer to wait for update 10.2... i don't think operating system dosn't make sense.. sorry to say this is again new excuse from Viber

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 03:42 PM

Thx Vigorous Viber!!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 04:04 PM
    Give the viber guys a break people...
    Bashing won't help.
    As you know software developing is a process...
    You can always side load or develop yourself if you can't wait...

#atworldsend with no viber...
    06-24-13 10:43 PM
    So all along viber has been saying soon but in fact it is waiting for 10.2 because of restrictions... what the...

Makes sense, headless apps come with that update ( apps running without the need of active frames on all the time). And Viber simply needs that.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 11:26 PM
    Makes sense, headless apps come with that update ( apps running without the need of active frames on all the time). And Viber simply needs that.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe u have a point. But I don't see any other similar apps needing headless such as whatsapp, skype, bbm, etc.

06-25-13 07:09 AM
    Maybe u have a point. But I don't see any other similar apps needing headless such as whatsapp, skype, bbm, etc.

Skype is an Android app, Viber will be native.
    06-25-13 07:18 AM
    Skype is an Android app, Viber will be native.
    Whatsapp is native. I don't think the delay has got anything to do with headless API since Viber can be integrated with the hub. Either it is a delay Viber is trying to cover up with an excuse, or it might be some bug that needs to be fixed in the OS.

PS: Native or Android, the headless APIs behave in the same way for all.

Deathcoffin likes this.
    06-25-13 07:23 AM
573 ... 1314151617 ...