Hi everyone!

Today my newest app, called "Ambient Details from Wikipedia", got released.

Have you ever wanted to learn more about the history or meaning of places you discovered? Have you ever wished you had some kind of interactive tourist guide on your BlackBerry 10 device? An app that allows you to read or listen to interesting facts and history lessons from Wikipedia?

You don't need to look any further! Ambient Details from Wikipedia has been developed exactly for this purpose. It doesn't matter if you're at home, with friends, on a business trip or on vacation, the app already knows instantly where you are and what's around you. Gather interesting background stories and facts about surrounding places, monuments, museums and so on.

Ambient Details has been exclusively designed and developed natively for BlackBerry 10! The app uses your geographical position, or any given position, to show you all available articles around you from Wikipedia.

The app runs on all BlackBerry 10 devices, with at least OS 10.2 (or higher). It's available for only USD 0.99 and you can grab your copy here: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/59979896

I've had attached some screenshots to this post, to give you glimpse about what to expect. If you have any questions or feature requests, feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer everything.

Best,
    Sven
    Attached Thumbnails Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_1.jpg   Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_2.jpg   Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_3.jpg   Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_4.jpg   Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_5.jpg  

Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_6.jpg   Ambient Details from Wikipedia - Gather knowledge on the go!-pp_7.jpg  
    anon(5594800) and Dave XII like this.
    10-20-15 08:08 AM
    Good luck with the App!

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    10-20-15 08:12 AM
    Thank you, Paul!
    10-20-15 08:20 AM
    Very interesting idea. Good luck with the app and for your CONTINUED support for BB10 devices.
    svzi likes this.
    10-20-15 09:07 AM
    I see "Railroad Germany". From another countries it will be "Railroad <my country>" or not?
    Can i save text or images?
    10-20-15 10:10 AM
    Hi Penzus!

I see "Railroad Germany". From another countries it will be "Railroad <my country>" or not?
    No. Railroad Germany is an app by another developer. You can check it out here: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/20079637

Can i save text or images?
    You can select the text and copy it to another app, if you want to. But beside that, there is no way to do so right now.

Best,
    Sven
    10-20-15 10:17 AM
    Good idea! I'm waiting more apps from you!
    10-20-15 01:11 PM
    Good idea! I'm waiting more apps from you!
    Thank you penzus, I appreciate your support.
    10-20-15 01:21 PM
    Just watched the DJ Reyes video about the app. I noticed two things that work different on my classic:

- when the app shows the wikipedia infos on my classic the app automatically jumps to the bottom of the page where the map is located. I have to scroll back to the top of the page or press the button T each time in order to read the article from the beginning.

- the navigation bar at the bottom of an article does not hide while scrolling on my classic which it does on the passport.

Can you fix this?

I also found out that word wrapping in the wikipedia articles doesn't always work perfectly: Sometimes one or two letters of the last word of a line are missing or can't be read.

A classic post via CB10 app
    10-26-15 07:11 AM
    Hi kja123!

Just watched the DJ Reyes video about the app. I noticed two things that work different on my classic:

- when the app shows the wikipedia infos on my classic the app automatically jumps to the bottom of the page where the map is located. I have to scroll back to the top of the page or press the button T each time in order to read the article from the beginning.
    - the navigation bar at the bottom of an article does not hide while scrolling on my classic which it does on the passport.
    That's interesting. I will have a look at that and try to reproduce it. What OS do you use?

Can you fix this?
    I hope so.

I also found out that word wrapping in the wikipedia articles doesn't always work perfectly: Sometimes one or two letters of the last word of a line are missing or can't be read.
    Weird, thanks for pointing that out! I will try to reproduce that as well...

Best,
    Sven
    10-26-15 01:59 PM
    Hi kja123!

That's interesting. I will have a look at that and try to reproduce it. What OS do you use?
    OS 10.3.2.2789.

10-26-15 11:35 PM
    I was able to reproduce and fix nearly all the issues you mentioned and I've already uploaded a new version yesterday. BlackBerry already approved that new version, so it should be available later today. The only thing I couldn't reproduce was the non-hiding scrollbar. I've tried something, but it didn't change anything on my devices, but in my devices everything worked as expected, in regards of your scrolling issue. So please have a look at the new version and let me know if the issue is still there for you.

Best,
    Sven
    10-27-15 03:23 AM
    Hi everyone!

Today BlackBerry already approved version 1.1 of Ambient Details. Here is the changelog:

• NEW: option to hide WhereIs...? integration in action bar
    • NEW: option to hide Proximity Photos integration in action bar
    • NEW: option to select positioning method (gps, wifi or cellular)
    • NEW: option to hide google maps image in details view
    • NEW: app can be invoked from BlackBerry Maps! Just share a location to Ambient Details!
    • NEW: app can be invoked by other apps!
    • NEW: added czech translation, thanks to Tom� Tihlař�k!
    • NEW: added french translation, thanks to Michael Halimi!
    • BUGFIX: now working correctly on BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 as well!
    • BUGFIX: web view now shows correct language version
    • BUGFIX: some lines in details view shouldn't be cut off any more
    • BUGFIX: details view should always start at the top now

I hope you like the new version! Please let me know if you have any issues with the app. I'm also open minded to every kind of suggestion.

Best,
    Sven
    petertinh likes this.
    10-27-15 04:17 AM
    Wow, thanks for the updated.
    10-27-15 04:21 AM
    Less than 24 hours and you provided an update! You should get a developer of the year award!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 04:28 AM
    Thank you, but I just got lucky this time. A lot of that depends on BlackBerry and how fast they approve the apps. I've recently heard that some developers needed to wait 8 or more days to get there apps approved in the last weeks, but I'm glad that the apps gets approved faster right now.

Best,
    Sven
    10-27-15 04:45 AM
    Thank you, but I just got lucky this time. A lot of that depends on BlackBerry and how fast they approve the apps. I've recently heard that some developers needed to wait 8 or more days to get there apps approved in the last weeks, but I'm glad that the apps gets approved faster right now.

Best,
    Sven
    They've told us it should be back to 48hrs - 5 days soon #hopeful
    10-27-15 05:24 AM
    Where did they told that? In the developer forums? I don't know, looks like I was just lucky. But I heard from another developer as well, his app was denied, but also within less than 24 hrs. It's getting better.

Best,
    Sven
    10-27-15 06:10 AM
    Where did they told that? In the developer forums? I don't know, looks like I was just lucky. But I heard from another developer as well, his app was denied, but also within less than 24 hrs. It's getting better.

Best,
    Sven
    My App was denied this morning, I only submitted it last night; all because in my release notes I put "Z10" instead of "BlackBerry Z10"

Yep, denied a full release over something the reviewer could have just edited and noted when it was approved; sounds like my reviewer wanted to strike one off the list.

Link is here: Response times of Vendor Portal for BlackBerry Wor... - Page 4 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    10-27-15 06:35 AM
    My App was denied this morning, I only submitted it last night; all because in my release notes I put "Z10" instead of "BlackBerry Z10"

Yep, denied a full release over something the reviewer could have just edited and noted when it was approved.

Link is here: Response times of Vendor Portal for BlackBerry Wor... - Page 4 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    I had that **** before as well. But I guess it's been over a year, since then. I got rejected for nearly the same reasons. I the text was just inside my changelog dialog... I don't know what kind of guys sometimes do the workload for the approve process...
    10-27-15 06:36 AM
    I had that **** before as well. But I guess it's been over a year, since then. I got rejected for nearly the same reasons. I the text was just inside my changelog dialog... I don't know what kind of guys sometimes do the workload for the approve process...
    I was very very effing annoyed about that, I had enough of that with Nokia Store; some reviewer not getting enough at home.
    10-27-15 06:47 AM
    Don't ask me how annoyed I was at that time...

But let's go back to topic, please.
    10-27-15 06:54 AM
    Certainly,
    The TTS feature in your App, is that an online service or an offline service?

I'll recommend the App to a few people, I like the idea.
    10-27-15 07:01 AM
    Certainly,
    The TTS feature in your App, is that an online service or an offline service?
    It's an online service, based on this app: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...h-app-1029327/

Read Out! can be integrated to other apps with ease. So if you have any ideas, just let me know or feel free to include it in your own apps, as some other developers did already as well.

I'll recommend the App to a few people, I like the idea.
    Great, thank you very much for your support. Appreciate it.
    10-27-15 07:19 AM
    I was able to reproduce and fix nearly all the issues you mentioned and I've already uploaded a new version yesterday. BlackBerry already approved that new version, so it should be available later today. The only thing I couldn't reproduce was the non-hiding scrollbar. I've tried something, but it didn't change anything on my devices, but in my devices everything worked as expected, in regards of your scrolling issue. So please have a look at the new version and let me know if the issue is still there for you.

Best,
    Sven
    I can confirm that the word wrapping problem is fixed. The detail view starts at the top when I use the new option to hide google maps image in detail view. If I do not hide the google maps image the detail view still starts at the bottom. The action bar still doesn't hide while scrolling.

10-27-15 08:25 AM
31 12