BlackBerry, Amazon Licensing Agreement to Bring Thousands of New Apps | Inside BlackBerry

This should be interesting, think this should help the classic with sales!

At the cost of BBRY's music and video service tho. I don't think that was very profitable.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:18 AM
    "While BlackBerry World will continue to offer music and video services via third party applications ? again giving you more choices for your valued content ? we will be closing the music and video sections of our store on July 21st."

Not sure I understand?

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-18-14 08:24 AM
    Hey Jes!
    What up?
    Don't see you round much these days or those days.

Anywho..... HI !!
    06-18-14 08:25 AM
    "While BlackBerry World will continue to offer music and video services via third party applications ? again giving you more choices for your valued content ? we will be closing the music and video sections of our store on July 21st."

Not sure I understand?

BlackBerry World will go back to its roots, where it only hosts applications
    The video and music store (only available in supported countries) will be closing down

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:27 AM

Not sure I understand?

It means that you will still be able to download third party apps for music and video content but blackberry will stop selling music and movies themselves. They probably had to agree to shut down their music and video sections as part of the deal as amazon is going to be your one stop shop for content. It would be interesting to find out how profitable those parts of app world were for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 08:30 AM
    BlackBerry World will go back to its roots, where it only hosts applications
    The video and music store (only available in supported countries) will be closing down

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but they are saying *BlackBerry World* will continue to offer music and video via third party apps. It isn't BlackBerry World in this case, no? And it was already Rovi after all, which is third party. Anyway, I just think that if music and video aren't offered anymore in BlackBerry World, the sentence is sloppy. :P

Too bad. I didn't buy movies except for 0,99$ ones, but I was buying all my music on BlackBerry World. I love the native feel to the store, much better to navigate.

06-18-14 08:36 AM
    From the press release:
    "The strategic move also enables BlackBerry to align its developer program with its renewed focus on delivering the most secure, end-to-end mobile enterprise solutions, by placing more emphasis on the development of vital enterprise and productivity applications."

Sounds like they are throwing in the towel on BlackBerry World and their native developer program, and assuming Android apps will cover all of the demand for consumer apps. They are also shutting down the music and video sections of BlackBerry World.

Sounds like this is the kick in the pants I needed to just buy an Android phone and be done with it. I don't want a sort-of-Android phone that runs most-but-not-all Android apps sort of well but not perfectly. It's been fun, BlackBerry.
    06-18-14 09:12 AM
    Hopefully BlackBerry cleans out our app store of the ports so our 3rd party devs can shine and start up pur own ecosystem finally

There is no point in having Android port in BlackBerry world if they dont get updated and steal thr spot from some independent dev.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:33 AM
    So then is BlackBerry 10 officially am android app driven platform?

I am not really happy that much. Don't know how should we take it?

Cascades are just so awesome. For sure developers would hardly be interested in BlackBerry 10.

While yes android apps do run on BlackBerry but they are awful when compared to native ones.

Is it the final Coffin?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:47 AM

Cascades are just so awesome. For sure developers would hardly be interested in BlackBerry 10.

While yes android apps do run on BlackBerry but they are awful when compared to native ones.

Is it the final Coffin?

Posted via CB10
    No?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:48 AM

Is it the final Coffin?

Posted via CB10
    If blackberry plays their cards right they could clean up BlackBerry world for BlackBerry apps to shine.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:51 AM
    No?

Posted via CB10
    I guess they should have come with more details on implementation. As of now its not so clear what will happen to native development.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:54 AM
    I guess they should have come with more details on implementation. As of now its not so clear what will happen to native development.

Posted via CB10
    there was never native development!!

the 3rd party devs aren't going to go anywhere and if they clean up BlackBerry World this will actually be better for the 3rd party dev's apps to shine.

Hopefully BlackBerry is smart enough to clean up BlackBerry World to get rid of all those Port's that don't even get updated, the "App For ..." and most of the non functional S4BB apps.

BlackBerry can put this to their advantage because before they were just trying to shove as many useless apps as possible to up the app count.

If you want to help BlackBerry World better during this transition instead of complaining about it (because it will happen no matter what now). Come to Beta Zone where they actually check and give them ideas on how to IMPROVE BLACKBERRY WORLD

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...w/23253#113330
    Last edited by khehl; 06-18-14 at 10:45 AM.
    06-18-14 10:26 AM
    From the press release:
    "The strategic move also enables BlackBerry to align its developer program with its renewed focus on delivering the most secure, end-to-end mobile enterprise solutions, by placing more emphasis on the development of vital enterprise and productivity applications."

Sounds like they are throwing in the towel on BlackBerry World and their native developer program, and assuming Android apps will cover all of the demand for consumer apps. They are also shutting down the music and video sections of BlackBerry World.

Sounds like this is the kick in the pants I needed to just buy an Android phone and be done with it. I don't want a sort-of-Android phone that runs most-but-not-all Android apps sort of well but not perfectly. It's been fun, BlackBerry.
    Exactly. My thoughts too. Why would I want a half a.s.s.e.d BlackBerry phone that might run some Android apps against buying a real Android phone that will run all Android apps available?

I feel sorry also for developers that did bring native BlackBerry 10 apps who now get kicked in the teeth by BlackBerry themselves.

Careful! Z10 in action!
    06-18-14 10:27 AM

there was never native development!!
    A few people would probably disagree...WhatsApp, Evernote, iHeartRadio, AccuWeather, CBS, The Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio, SoundHound, Cisco WebEx, NFL Mobile, GasBuddy, USA Today, Bloomberg, PGA Tour, MLB, NHL, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Crackle, Flixster, Slacker Radio, CBS Sports, Bleacher Report, Hype Machine, Delta Air Lines, Skyscanner, Discovery Channel, Booking.com, Hotels 4D, PressReader, Typic, Pacemaker, Tripomatic, E!, MTV, NBC... all of these are major cross-platform apps that are native on BlackBerry 10, and many of which were not present on BBOS. Sadly, destruction of the native developer program means we will probably see no further updates on most of them, or they will be replaced by the Android versions.

Did everyone hear all the howling around here when theScore replaced their native app with the Android app? Get ready for more of it!
    06-18-14 12:49 PM
    A few people would probably disagree...WhatsApp, Evernote, iHeartRadio, AccuWeather, CBS, The Weather Channel, TuneIn Radio, SoundHound, Cisco WebEx, NFL Mobile, GasBuddy, USA Today, Bloomberg, PGA Tour, MLB, NHL, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Crackle, Flixster, Slacker Radio, CBS Sports, Bleacher Report, Hype Machine, Delta Air Lines, Skyscanner, Discovery Channel, Booking.com, Hotels 4D, PressReader, Typic, Pacemaker, Tripomatic, E!, MTV, NBC... all of these are major cross-platform apps that are native on BlackBerry 10, and many of which were not present on BBOS. Sadly, destruction of the native developer program means we will probably see no further updates on most of them, or they will be replaced by the Android versions.

Did everyone hear all the howling around here when theScore replaced their native app with the Android app? Get ready for more of it!
    How many of those app have been updated along side the android or iOS apps?

Most of those apps you listed have been updated in the past 2 months on iOS and Android

I do agree APKs were good for the short run and probably not good for the long run. But who knows maybe the big devs wouldn't of came no matter what. From a business point of view it's smarter decision and less of a gamble.

If this were Microsoft this would be a stupid decision with the billions they have but for BlackBerry it was a smart decision to get those big name apps onto the platform while not having to spend a fortune.

if there were a 100 nemory's the app gap would have been closed and we wouldn't need a scapegoat haha
    Last edited by khehl; 06-18-14 at 05:33 PM.
    06-18-14 05:20 PM
    I like the ability to put Android apps on my phone, but I worry that if native apps are not developed, integration with the hub may not happen?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 06:51 PM
    I like the ability to put Android apps on my phone, but I worry that if native apps are not developed, integration with the hub may not happen?

Posted via CB10
    This is an option that native devs have over APKs
    06-18-14 06:59 PM