I've just switched from an old Blackberry to a Q10 -- pretty good bargains out there, especially with the T-Mobile unlimited data for $30/month. But I'm encountering email issues -- I don't text or BBM -- which have rendered the default email application useless to me. Specifically, I own a couple of domains at which I receive (and seek to reply to) email, but unlike previous Blackberry email apps, this one won't let me set up multiple identities (the mail all dumps into my ISP-provided email account), nor will it let me automatically BCC myself -- I keep an archive on my desktop machine.

The only alternative seems to be K-9, the Android port which is nice but which is a little flaky when viewing/saving attachments, and which has only vestigial relations with the Hub. I'm using it but hoping there's something better.

So I'm wondering if, in the absence of a full-featured email application that's BB 10 native, there might be add-ons or plugins for the native mail app that provide these important services. Anybody know of such a thing? I've seen the BCC app but was hoping for something more comprehensive.

(Am a little cranky, too, at the new Blackberry Bridge, which seems to have removed all the useful aspects of the earlier version, which were email and Calendar; it seems as if Blackberry has pretty much spat upon those of us who bought Playbooks. I can sync my iPad with my Q10 more easily than I can my Playbook. Bad Blackberry!)
    Last edited by depscribe; 09-07-15 at 05:31 PM.
    baarn likes this.
    09-07-15 02:51 PM
    How does not using text and BBM render Hub email useless?

Have you gone through the email settings?
    Open Hub - click the three dots - Settings - Email Accounts - Select Account - Edit Account
    There's also a lot of options for manually setting up email and other accounts. Settings - Accounts - Add Account - Advanced

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-07-15 04:08 PM
    Thanks for your defense of the Hub. Now, do you know any way to set up multiple identities and enable automatic BCC in the many settings of which you speak? No, I didn't think so. Which is why I asked the questions above, which you didn't answer.
    09-07-15 05:31 PM
    Jesus. I asked you two questions. The first question was in no way of me defending anything. I'm dumbfounded by your original statement and was wondering why you thought that.
    The second question was asking if you've actually looked through the settings and me pointing you to the settings.
    Wasn't giving attitude so I'm not sure why I'm receiving it. Good luck with your issue.

09-07-15 05:39 PM
    Sorry if I caused you distress. I guess I was not clear in my OP when I said that the email app that appears as part of the Hub does not allow the two (fairly standard) options which I need. i was therefore inquiring as to whether anyone here knew of a Blackberry 10-native email client that offers those features or, in the alternative, some sort of plugin that brought those features to the existing application. I do not think you read that far. Though without email integration, it is true that the Hub isn't of much use to me.

I also noted, lest someone suggest it, so I could save them the time, that I have and use K-9, the largely excellent mail client that is unfortunately an Android port and that therefore does not integrate well with the Hub (though it does somewhat), nor does it integrate with Blackberry contacts, and when it is used to save attachments, it's a scavenger hunt to find them, and therefore it is not an ideal solution to the issues I raised.

Also, I'm not named Jesus.
    09-07-15 06:14 PM
    What do you mean by different 'identities'? Do you mean different email accounts, or different 'From' names appearing when sending using the same email address?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 06:40 PM
    Sorry if I caused you distress. I guess I was not clear in my OP when I said that the email app that appears as part of the Hub does not allow the two (fairly standard) options which I need. i was therefore inquiring as to whether anyone here knew of a Blackberry 10-native email client that offers those features or, in the alternative, some sort of plugin that brought those features to the existing application. I do not think you read that far. Though without email integration, it is true that the Hub isn't of much use to me.

I also noted, lest someone suggest it, so I could save them the time, that I have and use K-9, the largely excellent mail client that is unfortunately an Android port and that therefore does not integrate well with the Hub (though it does somewhat), nor does it integrate with Blackberry contacts, and when it is used to save attachments, it's a scavenger hunt to find them, and therefore it is not an ideal solution to the issues I raised.

Also, I'm not named Jesus.
    I read it all but since you thought texting and BBM is somehow connected to email and since you don't use those unconnected services they somehow render Hub email useless, I figured I wouldn't assume you knew where the settings are or even bothered to try them.

09-07-15 06:42 PM
    What do you mean by different 'identities'? Do you mean different email accounts, or different 'From' names appearing when sending using the same email address?

Posted via CB10
    The latter. i have a couple of domains where I receive mail that is aggregated into my one account at my ISP. On every other device I have, I can configure the mail client to automagically reply using the correct email address -- the one to which the message was sent. Also, I can originate messages using any of those addresses. Until Blackberry 10, I actually hadn't encountered an email client that didn't offer this feature. And, because I use several different devices, I use auto BCC to send myself my messages so that I can maintain a comprehensive sent-mail archive.

Given Blackberry's history as a business-oriented system, I was stunned that these options are missing. Thus my question, which was made in hope of finding a Blackberry solution to the problem.
    09-07-15 07:07 PM
    I do not think those things are connected, but Blackberry apparently does, inasmuch as they put them together in the Hub.
    09-07-15 07:09 PM
    I do not think those things are connected, but Blackberry apparently does, inasmuch as they put them together in the Hub.
    Ok I'm sorry you are clearly new to bb10 and don't understand it. The Hub is your one stop shop for all your communication needs. All your texts, emails, bbms, facebook, twitter, etc alerts and messages go in the Hub. None of them are connected to each other. They are all separate accounts. It's an easy way to communicate. You should research bb10 in full to familiarize yourself with it. And next time you ask a question you could try being nicer to the ppl who respond, just a suggestion.

09-07-15 07:17 PM
    The latter. i have a couple of domains where I receive mail that is aggregated into my one account at my ISP. On every other device I have, I can configure the mail client to automagically reply using the correct email address -- the one to which the message was sent. Also, I can originate messages using any of those addresses. Until Blackberry 10, I actually hadn't encountered an email client that didn't offer this feature. And, because I use several different devices, I use auto BCC to send myself my messages so that I can maintain a comprehensive sent-mail archive.

Given Blackberry's history as a business-oriented system, I was stunned that these options are missing. Thus my question, which was made in hope of finding a Blackberry solution to the problem.
    Hmm.. yeah, that's a tough one. You can obviously set as many email addresses as possible, and it will use the corresponding one when you hit 'reply', but... each address can only have one 'Name'. If you are getting multiple email addresses forwarded to one, and receiving that 'one' to your BlackBerry, then there's no way for it to separate them.

Is it possible to just add each domain's account individually to your BlackBerry? That's actually the raison d'�tre of the HUB, to basically do what your ISP has been doing, and let you handle all communication media in one single place.

Also, there is no auto BCC as far as I'm aware. However, the TO, CC and BCC fields seem to learn who you correspond with frequently and it 'suggests' them within the field in a way that it takes one additional tap to add the recipient.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 07:37 PM
    Ok I'm sorry you are clearly new to bb10 and don't understand it. The Hub is your one stop shop for all your communication needs. All your texts, emails, bbms, facebook, twitter, etc alerts and messages go in the Hub. None of them are connected to each other. They are all separate accounts. It's an easy way to communicate. You should research bb10 in full to familiarize yourself with it. And next time you ask a question you could try being nicer to the ppl who respond, just a suggestion.

Two things. First, the Hub has very little to understand and in my case very little reason to exist, in that I do not text, bbm, facebook, twit, pin, or any thing of that sort; email is pretty much all there that would be of use to me, and inasmuch as the current incarnation of Blackberry native email is of no use to me that pretty much obviates the Hub. It is not a matter of not knowing the Hub, it is a matter of having no use for it. Which is entirely beside the point, which is how to get the native mail application to behave as the mail applications on Blackberrys up to BB10 did and as they do on every email application I have encountered on any platform anywhere at any time except for the current Blackberry 10 native email client. Indeed, as K-9 does, though as mentioned it does not fit in well with such things as Blackberry contacts.

I have researched BB 10 in sufficient fullness to know that the options I seek do not exist in the native Blackberry 10 email client. No amount of additional research will change that.

Which is why I came here seeking to learn if there were a workaround which would allow a Blackberry 10 native email client to work in the manner described far above.
    09-07-15 08:04 PM
    Why do you have a smart phone? If you researched bb10 in full you'd already realize what it is and isn't capable of.
    Since you have no use for the Hub then any android or android port or email client in bbw will be able to suit your needs, since you clearly stated that every other email client does what you want. So why are you still asking for?

09-07-15 08:13 PM
    Hmm.. yeah, that's a tough one. You can obviously set as many email addresses as possible, and it will use the corresponding one when you hit 'reply', but... each address can only have one 'Name'. If you are getting multiple email addresses forwarded to one, and receiving that 'one' to your BlackBerry, then there's no way for it to separate them.

Is it possible to just add each domain's account individually to your BlackBerry? That's actually the raison d'�tre of the HUB, to basically do what your ISP has been doing, and let you handle all communication media in one single place.

Also, there is no auto BCC as far as I'm aware. However, the TO, CC and BCC fields seem to learn who you correspond with frequently and it 'suggests' them within the field in a way that it takes one additional tap to add the recipient.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks.

It's a fairly common phenomenon -- a hosting company hosting the site but not a mail server and instead doing a redirect to an ISP's mail server; I've been doing it for about 20 years now and this is the first time it's been an issue. This is all business-related stuff, so it's not something that lends itself to extemporizing.

I've done a fair amount of research on the subject and there was when I posted at first above no doubt in my mind that these two issues are a.) impossible with the native email client as shipped and b.) possible with K-9, which would be entirely satisfactory if it were better integrated into the Blackberry system. (Seeking to open an attachment, it calls Android apps that do not exist on Blackberry, for instance, and while it seems to offer a way to specify attachment storage, in fact it does not, nor does contact information saved there find its way into the Blackberry contact list, nor is it happy syncing to cloud contact lists, such as on iCloud.) Indeed, both of these issues have been complained about for a couple of years both here and on the BB support fora.

So, knowing that there us no way to make the native email client do what I need done, I thought that someone might know of some native email client or of some add-on (such as the BCC add-on that is available, though apparently it does not work reliably and in any case I need both things) which might restore that functionality.
    09-07-15 08:15 PM
    Simply add each account in the hub. I have 4 Gmail account domains all pointing to one master Google apps domain.
    Then turn adjust the " email accounts that displays in the hub.
    When an end comes on simply select the from address in the drop down at the top of email compose screen

Been working for me since os 10.1

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 07:07 AM
    Simply add each account in the hub. I have 4 Gmail account domains all pointing to one master Google apps domain.
    Then turn adjust the " email accounts that displays in the hub.
    When an end comes on simply select the from address in the drop down at the top of email compose screen

Been working for me since os 10.1

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. And yes, that does work with Gmail. It doesn't work, though, with my ISP's mail server, alas.

Fortunately, I've come up with a K-9 kludge that seems to resolve most of my issues with it. Still a little bit of a mess chasing incoming attachments, but I can live with it.
    09-08-15 03:22 PM