Isn't the dev active in the CrackBerry Forums? If hw isn't we should tell him about it!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:00 AM
    He gave us a teaser:

Attachment 215294

At least we are in safe hands!!
    Wow that's all? I have more locations within a 1 mile radius of my office.

This is how you CB10, son!
    11-01-13 01:35 AM
    Wow that's all? I have more locations within a 1 mile radius of my office.

This is how you CB10, son!
    This is Canada we're talking about. If this was Tim Hortons instead, there'd be about 60. I'm not kidding either.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 07:00 AM
    This is Canada we're talking about. If this was Tim Hortons instead, there'd be about 60. I'm not kidding either.

Posted via CB10
    I'm Canadian and no there won't be 60.

There would be about a 100

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 10:47 AM
    I'm Canadian and no there won't be 60.

There would be about a 100

Posted via CB10
    HA! It depends on the size of the city. My hometown is about pop. 130 000 and there are 25-30 Tim Hortons. Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge are is about 350 000, so maybe there are over 100.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 03:24 PM
    Latest update from Twitter - the app has been approved, but not the new bug fixed version. So once the bug-fix version has been approved, then we'll be able to download the app. Soon!
    11-01-13 07:44 PM
    Free or paid

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 07:56 PM
    Free or paid

Posted via CB10
    Free!
    pttptppt likes this.
    11-01-13 08:01 PM
    This truly is an honour

Here's some background of "MAKE" app for Starbucks. I am an indie dev who simply felt the need for a Starbucks app on my gorgeous Q10. I've been waiting and contacting Starbucks forever to bring their mobile app to BlackBerry but their response was always "we're looking for other options to accommodate...", blah blah blah, bull****.

So I started looking for alternatives as I've heard there are other loyalty card apps that allows you to keep your Starbucks card.. but they're just a loyalty card app with such generic and ugly UI. Because I am one of those people who judge a book by its cover.. and the appearance of their insides as well, I decided to develop it myself.

But before I go into development process of MAKE, I want to clarify one thing. The sole purpose of MAKE app is to encourage Starbucks to bring their mobile app onto BlackBerry 10 platform by showing them the download rate, traction, and the enthusiasm/love for Starbucks of the BlackBerry 10 community so that they can't say no to my request next time I approach them.

Continuing the story, I quickly ran into a problem: there's no open Starbucks api for 3rd party developers to use - I guess it's excusable since they wouldn't gain anything by opening up their api.. This means there's no way for me to retrieve card account info such as balance, star and reward count, purchase history etc.

I then found a hack around online: https://github.com/JakeBilbrey/EmeraldSiren‎. Now, this api is essentially a Ruby script that uses mechanize automation but it didn't seem feasible to take this approach because of combination of:
    1. I don't know if any BlackBerry 10 dev was able to use Ruby script in their native app
    2. I don't want to **** Starbucks off by using a hacked, unapproved api to access their server.

Anyway, good news, albeit a small one, is BlackBerry introduced barcode generator with their new 10.2 sdk. With this, I was able to create a barcode with your Starbucks card number. This was not good enough for me so I also implemented star and reward count tracker - a simple "add a star" button to close the barcode every time it's opened.

3rd Party Starbucks App submitted-screenshot7.png

On top of this, I added two small features that I am hoping will make up for all the limitation of MAKE app..

1. Favourite drink list - basically a catalogue of Starbucks drinks that you can browse through and add it to your favourite list so you can try it on your next visit to Starbucks.
    2. Starbucks locator (yes, there's not enough Starbucks locations in Canada) and I'm currently working on allowing you to navigate to the location using native map app.

All the feature above comes in really nicely designed (well, at least in my opinion) app called MAKE.

Follow me on Twitter @gyubok for development and news of MAKE and other stuff! I'd also love to hear about your questions about any of my apps !
    11-01-13 08:19 PM
    Thanks for making the app.

Having said that...

3rd Party Starbucks App submitted-080729_tim_hortons_3202.jpg

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:32 PM
    Can't wait for this app to come out!
    11-01-13 09:05 PM
    Thanks for making the app.

Having said that...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	080729_tim_hortons_3202.jpg 
Views:	1564 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	216558

Posted via CB10
    I've looked into Tim Hortons as well but they already have a solid app on BlackBerry 10 platform !

TimmyMe™ - BlackBerry World

Their app is not optimized for Q10 so I might bug them to fix it..
    11-01-13 09:09 PM
    This truly is an honour

Here's some background of "MAKE" app for Starbucks. I am an indie dev who simply felt the need for a Starbucks app on my gorgeous Q10. I've been waiting and contacting Starbucks forever to bring their mobile app to BlackBerry but their response was always "we're looking for other options to accommodate...", blah blah blah, bull****.

So I started looking for alternatives as I've heard there are other loyalty card apps that allows you to keep your Starbucks card.. but they're just a loyalty card app with such generic and ugly UI. Because I am one of those people who judge a book by its cover.. and the appearance of their insides as well, I decided to develop it myself.

But before I go into development process of MAKE, I want to clarify one thing. The sole purpose of MAKE app is to encourage Starbucks to bring their mobile app onto BlackBerry 10 platform by showing them the download rate, traction, and the enthusiasm/love for Starbucks of the BlackBerry 10 community so that they can't say no to my request next time I approach them.

Continuing the story, I quickly ran into a problem: there's no open Starbucks api for 3rd party developers to use - I guess it's excusable since they wouldn't gain anything by opening up their api.. This means there's no way for me to retrieve card account info such as balance, star and reward count, purchase history etc.

I then found a hack around online: https://github.com/JakeBilbrey/EmeraldSiren‎. Now, this api is essentially a Ruby script that uses mechanize automation but it didn't seem feasible to take this approach because of combination of:
    1. I don't know if any BlackBerry 10 dev was able to use Ruby script in their native app
    2. I don't want to **** Starbucks off by using a hacked, unapproved api to access their server.

Anyway, good news, albeit a small one, is BlackBerry introduced barcode generator with their new 10.2 sdk. With this, I was able to create a barcode with your Starbucks card number. This was not good enough for me so I also implemented star and reward count tracker - a simple "add a star" button to close the barcode every time it's opened.

Name:	screenshot7.png 
Views:	1414 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	216556

On top of this, I added two small features that I am hoping will make up for all the limitation of MAKE app..

1. Favourite drink list - basically a catalogue of Starbucks drinks that you can browse through and add it to your favourite list so you can try it on your next visit to Starbucks.
    2. Starbucks locator (yes, there's not enough Starbucks locations in Canada) and I'm currently working on allowing you to navigate to the location using native map app.

All the feature above comes in really nicely designed (well, at least in my opinion) app called MAKE.

Follow me on Twitter @gyubok for development and news of MAKE and other stuff! I'd also love to hear about your questions about any of my apps !
    Thanks for making this app happen! Is it Z10 and Z30 compatible?
    11-01-13 09:37 PM
    Thanks for making this app happen! Is it Z10 and Z30 compatible?
    Compatible with all devices, light and dark theme preserved

Just got navigation to store work so submitted another bundle for approval. Now there's two in que, hopefully they'll both be approved sometime over the weekend.
    gng11 and southlander like this.
    11-01-13 09:49 PM
    I've looked into Tim Hortons as well but they already have a solid app on BlackBerry 10 platform !

TimmyMe™ - BlackBerry World

Their app is not optimized for Q10 so I might bug them to fix it..
    Yeah, I just Tims>Starbucks

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:59 PM
    Hats off to dev. Can't wait.
    11-01-13 10:14 PM
    Yeah, I just Tims>Starbucks

Posted via CB10
    While I agree you this app is better suited to the US where they don't appreciate Tims like we do. Thanks dev the app looks great so far. Keep up the good work. I'm sure many Starbucks drinkers will appreciate your efforts.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1791
    11-01-13 10:28 PM
    To the dev, what is the add star and close button and the redeem button?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 11:08 PM
    To the dev, what is the add star and close button and the redeem button?

Posted via CB10
    Since MAKE doesn't use Starbucks api to retrieve star and reward count, it allows you to insert your cards star and reward count when you add the card (by punching in the card number). From there, everytime you purchase a drink and is closing the bardcode, you simply press the "add star" option to indicate a +1 on your offline star count, or press the "redeem reward" option to indicate -1 on your reward count. These star count and reward count both behave like the official counts (12 stars = 1 reward) so as long as you don't cheat (though there's no reason to), you will be able to keep an accurate data of your current loyalty status.

If for some reason the numbers are out of sync, you can always edit it app. Hope it answered your question!

3rd Party Starbucks App submitted-img_00001551.png

Posted via CB10
    kirkins and gng11 like this.
    11-02-13 12:46 AM
    I'm in the UK and I have a Starbucks card!

I also have a costa and Nero card

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 05:52 AM
    Since MAKE doesn't use Starbucks api to retrieve star and reward count, it allows you to insert your cards star and reward count when you add the card (by punching in the card number). From there, everytime you purchase a drink and is closing the bardcode, you simply press the "add star" option to indicate a +1 on your offline star count, or press the "redeem reward" option to indicate -1 on your reward count. These star count and reward count both behave like the official counts (12 stars = 1 reward) so as long as you don't cheat (though there's no reason to), you will be able to keep an accurate data of your current loyalty status.

If for some reason the numbers are out of sync, you can always edit it app. Hope it answered your question!

Name:	IMG_00001551.png 
Views:	1447 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	216592

Posted via CB10
    How come you can't use Starbucks API to retrieve stars and rewards? Pardon my query but I guess it may well be infringement potentially if done so?
    11-03-13 01:32 PM
    How come you can't use Starbucks API to retrieve stars and rewards? Pardon my query but I guess it may well be infringement potentially if done so?
    It clearly is a manual workaround which the users have the option to not use it. I don't think Starbucks will go after a developer who spent his/her spare time to make a free app which results in their mocha and latte being sold to more customers.
    gng11 and R Field like this.
    11-03-13 01:42 PM
    Any update on whether or not it has been approved?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 10:15 PM
    Hello everyone, the update have been approved and the app is now available for download!

Download here: MAKE - BlackBerry World

If you like it, don't forget to leave a glowingly positive review on BlackBerry World!
    Last edited by elite1; 11-04-13 at 05:18 PM. Reason: external links removed
    knobtviker, R Field, gng11 and 1 others like this.
    11-04-13 04:05 PM
    Oh, I'm also open for suggestions.
    11-04-13 04:05 PM
82 1234