@nemory

I think humankind's response to articles like these are always overblown. I've been following your work for months now. I appreciate what you're doing for the platform, even though I haven't got a single one of your apps simply cause I'm not into any social media. Frankly, despite any security flaws in your apps, we need MORE developers like you, not less, to save this platform. I think people here need to be giving you props, not headaches.

And besides, SnapChat and Instagram and all that jazz are HORRIBLE for privacy a security in and of themselves. Anyone who truly cares about their digital footprint wouldn't subscribe to any of their programs, regardless of which app their using. Facepalm moment here.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:29 AM
    yes that's true. I do violate APIs and I am taking the risk. and YOU cannot stop me from doing that I see more people appreciate my work than hate it like you. and I know you're the twitter guy that blocked me
    I was not a fan of Nemory apps before, but this statement above absolutely seals my thoughts on downloading any Nemory apps onto my device.
    The childish nature of the remarks back at people who are concerned about the security furthers my dislike.
    Please everyone be cautious of who and where the apps are coming from. As stated above we need a page dedicated to the listing of apps by security risks. It may take time to compile a list but I am sure there are dedicated people out there who can help.
    02-09-15 11:29 AM
    Another big takeaway is that a portion of Blackberry users at least as expressed by opinions in this forum use the BB10 platform to get away from Google. Yeah not so much.
    02-09-15 11:41 AM
    Agree with you 100% - this is squarely on BlackBerry's doorstep. The manufacturer SHOULD have CLEAR guidelines and also be able to verify and enforce devs and their apps. What's the use of mouthing about BlackBerry security when devs are having a field day.

My confidence level just went down a few notches...Nuff said.
    ugh. No, it's not on BlackBerry's doorstep. It's the responsibility of the developer. You probably believe that guns kill people and knives stab people too, huh?
    02-09-15 11:48 AM
    He is having the ads even in the pro version so he is making money with them even when you bought the pro version.
    How? You only make money per click. Have some research.

Fixes are gonna be made

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:49 AM
    Loading ads even there not visible surely gave you a nice profit and to carry on that you said to me on twitter a developer like you should be able to remove them completely from a pro version, or is that the #idiotdev in you talking here?
    Oh!!! Wow!! Have some research and go back here

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:50 AM
    I don't get the hate towards Nemory here, but maybe I just don't understand. Isn't he doing what Blackberry told him to do to increase monetization for his apps? Forget the API ripping, anyone who's downloaded his apps shouldn't say a thing about that. People have praised his work on here and no one should be upset that he's using someone's API (unless you don't use it for that reason). CrackBerry themselves have posted on the blog about updates to his apps so I don't see where the problem is with it.

But from the ad portion of it, it looks like Blackberry was telling them to do it to make more money. What am I missing here?
    BlackBerry is telling us how to earn more money. That is true

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:50 AM
    If you find anywhere that BlackBerry suggested that he run behind the scenes ads on his apps, then you can join the Smaato lawsuit to make millions off of BlackBerry.

If he makes a "pro" app that isn't supposed to contain ads, then he shouldn't be running ads in the background. If he couldn't figure out how to turn them off, then make a 2nd app without them.
    When you say running ads in the background..do you mean "hidden"? If yes, you're implying he's hiding the ad service? I have more questions...u seem to be very knowledgeable on the topic and I'm interested to learn.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:53 AM
    When you say running ads in the background..do you mean "hidden"? If yes, you're implying he's hiding the ad service? I have more questions...u seem to be very knowledgeable on the topic and I'm interested to learn.

Posted via CB10
    Yes hidden and still running. But no revenues are being generated. It's pay per click.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:54 AM
    Loading ads even there not visible surely gave you a nice profit and to carry on that you said to me on twitter a developer like you should be able to remove them completely from a pro version, or is that the #idiotdev in you talking here?
    Your implying he hides the ads? Yes? So, proof would be in the source right.. or you're just pushing for laughs.. just trying to figure out which responses to filter for truth on the matter.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 11:56 AM
    Yes hidden and still running. But no revenues are being generated. It's pay per click.

Posted via CB10
    If they're not being shown, all they are doing is burning the user's data allotment. It would take less than 5 lines of code to check for the IAP and disable ads if you know what you're doing.
    jordan559 and CarbonKevin like this.
    02-09-15 11:58 AM
    If they're not being shown, all they are doing is burning the user's data allotment. It would take less than 5 lines of code to check for the IAP and disable ads if you know what you're doing.
    That's true. Unfortunately I forgot to do that. Not all apps are made perfect. Even yours

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:03 PM
    That's true. Unfortunately I forgot to do that. Not all apps are made perfect. Even yours

Posted via CB10
    I don't blame BlackBerry for faults in my apps.
    02-09-15 12:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Opportunity right there to fix, then on to the next bro.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:08 PM
    Why u guys measuring tools... let's keep it moving. Nem release your patches and let's keep the apps coming. Live and you learn.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 and Bari Yusuf like this.
    02-09-15 12:12 PM
    Posted via CB10
    I guess you can wait for the data feed post to learn more. But, the report points out that the apps were sending ad information.

Or you can just read Nemory's statement that he didn't know how to turn off the ads in his pro version. So, just harmless. Only sending ad views (not clicks) and wasting the user's data.

All of the items listed, Nemory has admitted to.
    1. Using an illegal API (non-open API's)
    2. Sending user information through his server
    3. Running ads in the background for aps where they should be turned off

Once Is an Accident. Twice is a Coincidence. Three times is a Pattern.

So, those who enjoy using his apps and paying for his apps, please continue to do so at your risk. Nemory says to use them at your risk and now you have been warned about other risks beyond the API issue. Don't blame the messenger or those who are trying to warn you. Don't blame BlackBerry for not providing these apps.
    splatterb0y and CarbonKevin like this.
    02-09-15 12:16 PM
    Didn't the "hardcore fans" on Crackberry promote BB10 as the most secure OS What's the benefit when customers have to sacrifice security by using imitated apps (that are insecure) or Android apps that don't support the integrated right mangagement due to the lack of high quality first party apps?
    02-09-15 12:18 PM
    Well, we're different. I do because it's their job to secure their sdks

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:19 PM
    Why u guys measuring dicks... let's keep it moving. Nem release your patches and let's keep the apps coming. Live and you learn.

Posted via CB10
    Found a fix to the flurry issue already

http://onpub.com/enable-flurry-secur...rry-10-s7-a191

Patches are coming

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:20 PM
    I guess you can wait for the data feed post to learn more. But, the report points out that the apps were sending ad information.

Or you can just read Nemory's statement that he didn't know how to turn off the ads in his pro version. So, just harmless. Only sending ad views (not clicks) and wasting the user's data.

All of the items listed, Nemory has admitted to.
    1. Using an illegal API (non-open API's)
    2. Sending user information through his server
    3. Running ads in the background for aps where they should be turned off

Once Is an Accident. Twice is a Coincidence. Three times is a Pattern.

So, those who enjoy using his apps and paying for his apps, please continue to do so at your risk. Nemory says to use them at your risk and now you have been warned about other risks beyond the API issue. Don't blame the messenger or those who are trying to warn you. Don't blame BlackBerry for not providing these apps.
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    What about hub integration? Every time someone asks you about it you say "it's BlackBerry's fault, whatsapp and other apps are buggy too" when in fact Whatsapp has solved this bugs a long time ago, mind you the whatsapp developer even made a blog post about hub integration, and whatsapp is probably the most polished app in BBW, sorry but you always blame other people for your bugs.

Posted via CB10
    olaf_d and CarbonKevin like this.
    02-09-15 12:29 PM
    You know...I'm happy that these security issues have come to light. This is only going to make the developers more knowledgeable in app development. A great learning experience for them.

On the other hand, this also shows the lack of well seasoned developers on the platform. Amateur developers are capitalizing on the desperation in the BBRY community - get the app out fast and make money, by any means necessary. The revenue being gained far outweighs a slap on the hand.
    02-09-15 12:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are blaming BlackBerry for not securing their SDKs against you using a third party tool incorrectly?

BlackBerry is not at fault for you using a non-Open SDK.
    BlackBerry is not at fault for you sending data through your server.
    BlackBerry is not at fault for you not properly turning off the ads on an app that shouldn't have ads.

Do you understand?
    It is not their issue to prevent you from doing stupid things with their SDK. The SDK is supposed to be open enough so that you can make your app without violating the security of the phone OS and other apps.
    02-09-15 12:38 PM
    You guys have started attacking Nemory personally and this is unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    02-09-15 12:38 PM
    I appreciate the report. I can also imagine this has been a stressful day for NemOry, with some tough lessons learned. And I am disappointed in BlackBerry World standards & even CrackBerry.

I have to say, NemOry, I was figuring you could recoup from this until I read some of your comments here. They revealed a world view that cannot be fixed with a patch to an app. What was needed was a humble response pointing to places you need to build skills, rather than defensiveness. Seeing people struggle with an "oh crap" moment, assure others it was never your intention and a promise no such concerns will exist in the future goes a long way toward repairing a situation. However, even tho people are encouraged by new behavior, they won't trust it. New behavior held over time is change, and that is the point of trust-building. Just know that.

I have suggested for years that CrackBerry could serve a valuable service by discussing security issues. A monthly article on some aspect, less-glowing reports on junk apps, links to reports & articles of interest. It's on all of our minds constantly these days. I am an old granny, and not tech-savvy like most of you. Yet I can learn, and appreciate explanations in lay terms.

Posted via CB from "Z" best
    02-09-15 12:39 PM
374 12345 ...