Hello everybody and welcome to:
    BaSA Headless

This is a separate release and spinoff especially and only for (leaked) 10.2.1 firmwares. In case you have a older firmware running on your device you're unable to download this version. Sorry.

10.2.1 firmware only: BaSA - HEADLESS (Battery and System Analyzer)-product-featured-image.jpg

Version 0.8.0: Initial Headless release

So far supported modules:
    • Battery Level
    • Battery Temperature
    • Cellular Network Traffic (reduced resolution - 30sec instead of 10sec)
    • Wifi Network Traffic (reduced resolution - 30sec instead of 10sec)

The other graphs don't get tracked in the background. I will add those in case the overall feedback is positive and this version works fine.

Please report problems with the headless module only here in this thread. Thanks!

How does it work?

After installing or updating BaSA a small part of it will begin to run in the background and track data for BaSA. This way it is not needed to keep BaSA always in the Active Frame but it won't hurt if you do so (especially for the additional Data for CPU, Memory, Storage, ...) and the 3 times higher resolution for network traffic monitoring.
    To offer the best performance and the lowest possible battery impact the headless part of BaSA got it's own storage module. (according to first calculations the headless module should eat less then a minute stand-by time per week!)

As soon as you open BaSA it will detect automatically if there was data tracked while it was closed and offers you to import those to the internal database or to ask again at the next startup. In the most cases it will ask.
    Depending on how long BaSA was closed this may take some time, so in case you're currently not interested in checking the history you have the option to do the import the next time.

This is the initial release. So some parts are missing but it seems to run so far very stable and reliable. At least over here but I would love to get some feedback how it is running out in the wild.
    Because of this I released now this (unfinished) version to collect some early feedback if everything works as expected or if there is some fundamental stuff which needs to get changed. Since the firmware 10.2.1 is not even out and you must be running a developer release or a leaked firmware I would say you're comfortable in trying out early and maybe software releases.
    At least I hope so.

ClipMan worked fine. Welcome to the next (this time public) Headless Beta test!
    Get it at BlackBerry World.
    Last edited by QtHelex; 01-21-14 at 12:17 PM.
    01-21-14 12:06 PM
    Hello everybody and welcome to:

This is a separate release and spinoff especially and only for (leaked) 10.2.1 firmwares. In case you have a older firmware running on your device you're unable to download this version. Sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Product Featured Image.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	240468

Version 0.8.0: Initial Headless release

So far supported modules:
    • Battery Level
    • Battery Temperature
    • Cellular Network Traffic (reduced resolution - 30sec instead of 10sec)
    • Wifi Network Traffic (reduced resolution - 30sec instead of 10sec)

The other graphs don't get tracked in the background. I will add those in case the overall feedback is positive and this version works fine.

Please report problems with the headless module only here in this thread. Thanks!

How does it work?

After installing or updating BaSA a small part of it will begin to run in the background and track data for BaSA. This way it is not needed to keep BaSA always in the Active Frame but it won't hurt if you do so (especially for the additional Data for CPU, Memory, Storage, ...) and the 3 times higher resolution for network traffic monitoring.
    To offer the best performance and the lowest possible battery impact the headless part of BaSA got it's own storage module. (according to first calculations the headless module should eat less then a minute stand-by time per week!)

As soon as you open BaSA it will detect automatically if there was data tracked while it was closed and offers you to import those to the internal database or to ask again at the next startup. In the most cases it will ask.
    Depending on how long BaSA was closed this may take some time, so in case you're currently not interested in checking the history you have the option to do the import the next time.

This is the initial release. So some parts are missing but it seems to run so far very stable and reliable. At least over here but I would love to get some feedback how it is running out in the wild.
    Because of this I released now this (unfinished) version to collect some early feedback if everything works as expected or if there is some fundamental stuff which needs to get changed. Since the firmware 10.2.1 is not even out and you must be running a developer release or a leaked firmware I would say you're comfortable in trying out early and maybe software releases.
    At least I hope so. http://www.en.kolobok.us/smiles/big_...t/rolleyes.gif

ClipMan worked fine. Welcome to the next (this time public) Headless Beta test! http://www.en.kolobok.us/smiles/big_...rt/playboy.gif
    Get it at BlackBerry World.
    I was already using the app. So, any improvements will only make it better. Thanks.
    QtHelex likes this.
    01-21-14 12:34 PM
    Thank you.

I've installed it in 10.2.1.1925 z10, and can see the headless part running in the app monitor, but when I launch the main app it doesn't ask to import the background data.

Is there something else that I should do?

(haven't had a lot of time to play with the new release yet

Edit: just reread the first post and see that it can take some time. About how long before getting asked?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 12:49 PM
    About how long before getting asked?
    It may take up to 2 minutes (in the most cases less) after closing BaSA until the headless module will begin to track the battery parameters. Normally it shouldn't be a issue since in 2 minutes shouldn't change a lot.

In case it really won't work a reboot may help. But in this case there may be a issue I need to find and get fixed. I had this about 3 times during the development, but not anymore the past few days.
    01-21-14 01:00 PM
    After a reboot it started tracking, but HubPlusPlus stopped running headless, so there's a conflict of some kind.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 02:14 PM
    After a reboot it started tracking, but HubPlusPlus stopped running headless, so there's a conflict of some kind.
    Uh, I have no idea what kind of conflict may occure here since my app is running in it's own Sandbox and has no relation to HubPlusPlus, but thanks for reporting. I will try to doublecheck this.
    01-21-14 02:47 PM
    No problem. I read in another thread that they encountered a conflict with a different headless app as well, so it could be a system issue with the leak.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=776735

Unfortunately I don't know how much time I'll have to test things over the next two weeks and I depend more on HubPlusPlus, so I'm going to have to uninstall BaSA for the time being.

I'll still monitor the thread and if you come up with something and I have a chance to try it I will.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 09:04 PM
    No need to uninstall, simply deactivate the permission for the background execution. BaSA will then simply work without headless module.
    But if HubPlusPlus has also issues with other headless apps the root of the problem may lay at HubPlusPlus. I'm running over here 3 headless apps and all are starting up without issues. Hopefully is the HubPlusPlus issue only a problem with the leaked firmware.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 12:04 AM
    No need to uninstall, simply deactivate the permission for the background execution. BaSA will then simply work without headless module.
    But if HubPlusPlus has also issues with other headless apps the root of the problem may lay at HubPlusPlus. I'm running over here 3 headless apps and all are starting up without issues. Hopefully is the HubPlusPlus issue only a problem with the leaked firmware.

Posted via CB10
    And I've just had two Headless apps (both using Location-based geo-fencing) interfere with each other. I don't know if that is a Programmer Problem, or a BB-tools problem?

But a suggestion for you from one of those apps - when it loads on REbooting/restarting, I get a notice that XXX has been loaded:

"XXX service has started as a background process"

so you know it has been loaded headless.
    01-22-14 08:49 AM
    And I've just had two Headless apps (both using Location-based geo-fencing) interfere with each other. I don't know if that is a Programmer Problem, or a BB-tools problem?
    I'm reading more and more about interferring Headless apps and the only thing I could imagine is a bug in the leaked firmwares which will hopefully get fixed until the official release. They are all running in their own sandbox. There is no reason to interfere each other or nobody would be at example able to open a google maps app and BlackBerry maps at the same time because both are using the GPS module. Or a Internet connection, or the tilt sensor...

But at the bottom line I have not really a idea. I just hope it is leaked firmware related. Maybe we found the reason why they postponed the long running headless thing from 10.2.0 to 10.2.1, just to fix this kind of issues?

We will see how it works when the official firmware is out.

But a suggestion for you from one of those apps - when it loads on REbooting/restarting, I get a notice that XXX has been loaded:

"XXX service has started as a background process"

so you know it has been loaded headless.
    Hmm... noted. But I don't like the idea of 20 system toast messages after I start my device. If installed something headless it should work reliable and in the background without user interaction. It should do a job and nobody should have a reason to doublecheck if it still does the job.

At least I hope I'm able to get it working like this without any kind of issues with other at the same time installed headless apps.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-22-14 01:25 PM
    Today the next version of BaSA (Headless) got approved by the testing team!

Version 0.8.1.2:

• extensive expansion of the monitoring module

• New tracked parameters:

• CPU usage

• Memory

• Storage (Internal and SD Card)

• Cellular Signal Strength

All parameters get tracked with a lower resolution while BaSA is closed. So in case you're interested to check at example your wifi network traffic with up to 10 seconds resolution instead of 30 seconds (headless) keep BaSA running in the Active Frame.

I hope you like the progress of this project so far. If the headless module works fine the next few days I will work during the weekend on a new battery monitoring module which will deliver more values and parameters. Stay tuned!
    FF22 and cbosdell like this.
    01-23-14 12:51 PM
    Not much visible changes this time.

Changelog for version 0.8.2: (the equal standard version without headless module is 0.7.5)

• new battery monitoring backend

• several small performance improvements

• new low level battery parameters: Voltage, Current and Power

You can find the new parameters at the Properties page. Put them on the Widget page in case they are important for you.

In one of the next updates more stuff will get possible with those values, including a new graph and new options for the ActiveFrame. Stay tuned!
    cbosdell likes this.
    01-28-14 01:31 AM
    This is my first and only headless app. No problems so far (since Jan 28).
    BlackBerry World gave me BaSA version 0.8.2.2 after I upgraded my phone to (official) OS 10.2.1 (from 10.2.0).
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by eywong; 01-30-14 at 11:02 AM.
    QtHelex likes this.
    01-30-14 10:48 AM
    Thanks a lot for the feedback eywong.
    I'm working in the meantime on the next version. It will bring something huge.
    02-01-14 04:24 AM
    How about allowing customized graph/track colors?
    02-01-14 05:34 AM
    How about allowing customized graph/track colors?
    I have this one on my 2-do list. But I'm currently working on a different feature you will hopefully also love.
    I will provide a lot more customizing stuff at a later point. I hope you're patient enough.
    pcuser likes this.
    02-01-14 06:54 AM