I may be slow to figure this out, but it was driving me nuts so thought I'd share. My passport was barely charging in my car...

I have bought many car and home chargers with high amp (2amp) capacity, but they never seem to work very well. Finally spent some time figuring it out.

It basically comes down to the cable. Buy some CHARGE ONLY usb cables with thicker Guage wire. The have their data wires shorted out so it will negotiate a high speed charge. If you use a standard sync charge cable with aftermarket usb chargers it will limit the charge to 500 ma which is pretty useless.

The standard usb sync charge cable will work with oem blackberry or google chargers and not limit the charge speed. They probably have a built in short on the data signal. Funny cause an old 650 ma blackberry charger will charge the phone faster than a 2 amp charger with a sync cable.

Problem is charge only cables are a little hard to find. You'll have to do some digging on amazon. These things should be everywhere and a dime a dozen.

With a high amp charger I can put almost 8 hrs charge on my passport in 15 min I can even slam 80 charge on my PlayBook inside an hour. Happy charging!

Posted via CB10
    rhitdoph likes this.
    11-09-14 10:00 PM
    Cables can make a big difference. Even some BB cables that I've had boiled down to having flexed enough times that they just weren't carrying the load any more. Probably not the issue in this case, but it has happened to me.
    11-09-14 10:07 PM
    Just do the wire thingy yourself, it's extremely easy. I did it to a spare cable, because I didn't want to spend a single extra dime on my photo frame (PlayBook), since it only accepts it's own charger and it was busted. Now it charges from every plug using that cable.
    11-09-14 10:14 PM
    Don't have to get all complicated, just get the old thick BlackBerry micro usb cables Those things were over designed and charge pretty darn quick on anything.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052
    11-09-14 10:29 PM
    Thanks. I was going to mod a cable but found some on internet. Want something solid for built in home receptacle usb charger and car charger.

Old cable didn't work... tried that. 500 ma doesn't cut it with the passport, you'll see. You'll basically hold flat trying to keep up with the quad core.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 06:59 AM