I'm coming from any old BES 4.1.4 setup to BES 12. What I liked about BES was the outbound only aspect and I don't open any inbound ports to my server. We host our own exchange (not exposed) and route through pop3.

I've set up a test environment with BES 12 on our new Exchnage environment and I have set up BES 12 as "work and personal - regulated". It puts works space on the phone then activtes the email account. Seems to work. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this method opens a VPN from the phone to the network in order to move the exchange data and other BB capabilities (management/apps/wipe ability etc).

Is this the preferred method for those only looking to manage the BB's (settings retention/lock/wipe) and email? Is there another method where I would not need the secure workspace to do this? I really don't need to access my network from my phone for any other reason than email.

I'm guessing that the secure workspace takes the place of the old BB environment where our email would go through their servers in order to get to our phones?

Thanks.

Roveer
    03-26-16 10:01 AM
    If you don't want to open your activesync outside your firewall, then a BES workspace is required.
    Your only other option without bes would be to manually setup a vpn connection on each device in order to access the activesync on your internal network, and of course without BES or another MDM solution you'd be banging your head against the wall

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    03-27-16 08:35 PM
    Aahh... No I do not want to open activsync outside the firewall. That is my worst nightmare. I'm a part time admin and really didn't want to expose any part of our network to the internet which I have managed to avoid for 8 years.

So I'll stick with my BES 12 setup the way it is knowing that I explored the other option and it didn't make sense for our environment. Thanks for setting me straight.

Roveer
    03-28-16 10:11 AM
    Opening Exchange Active Sync will actually be more productive for your users though, You always have to weigh usability and security. We have ours open to the outside and users just open their work laptops and use their email, its all encrypted using SSL so no company data is exposed and BES lets us say what devices are allowed to connect to the Exchange server! Email should be world wide but I understand you want to put everything behind your firewall, just make sure your not completely forgetting your users need to work. One of the hardest things i had to learn as an IT professional, I don't make the rules I discuss the best rules and policies to apply that works best for everyone. Productivity is just as important as security to a company bottom line. And happy users means happy IT
    03-29-16 08:59 AM
    Opening Exchange Active Sync will actually be more productive for your users though, You always have to weigh usability and security. We have ours open to the outside and users just open their work laptops and use their email, its all encrypted using SSL so no company data is exposed and BES lets us say what devices are allowed to connect to the Exchange server! Email should be world wide but I understand you want to put everything behind your firewall, just make sure your not completely forgetting your users need to work. One of the hardest things i had to learn as an IT professional, I don't make the rules I discuss the best rules and policies to apply that works best for everyone. Productivity is just as important as security to a company bottom line. And happy users means happy IT
    But if he's using BES, then there is no point to direct public internet access to the EAS for users as the BES itself provides the required secure tunnel to it.

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    03-29-16 12:35 PM
    Correct, just surprised his EAS is not already exposed for Outlook!
    03-29-16 01:15 PM